Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice proceeds going to charity on World Mental Health day

hellbladecharity

Accolade trailers are usually a bit rubbish, so I don’t typically write about them, but Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice [official site] developers Ninja Theory have put together a slightly special one, made up of screenshots taken by players using photo mode, while the ‘accolades’ are, instead of being press quotes, taken from fans who were helped by the way the game tackles mental health.

With that in mind, Ninja Theory will also donate all proceeds they receive from the game generated on World Mental Health Day to charity, which takes place tomorrow, October 10.

Hellblade is so visually striking, and its photo mode so robust, that I could stare at screenshots all day. And while Ninja Theory are crowing, a little bit, with all these quotes, it’s clearly had a positive impact on some players. Take a gander below.

October 10 is World Mental Health day, and Ninja Theory will donate all proceeds they receive from the game on that day to Rethink Mental Illness. It’s a charity that, “>explain the developers, helps millions of people affected by mental illness by supporting and campaigning for them. So if you’ve been thinking of grabbing the game, tomorrow is a great time to pick it up.

Here’s what Samuel had to say about the game in his Hellblade review:

“Hellblade is brave for tackling psychosis so directly, and braver still for pouring so much of its efforts into its narrative. It’s unlike anything else I’ve played this year, and for that reason it deserves a slice of your time.”

1. Ryos says:

Finally, i can take a look at hellblade without worrying about money going to ninja theory

• Daymare says:

Wow, have Ninja become some sort of EA-Games-like murderer of great IPs while I wasn’t looking?

• Ryos says:

Certainly not as bad as EA, but their disdain for their audience and lack of actual good games (until now, from what ive heard) really gets my goat for some reason

• Daymare says:

“Disdain for their audience”? Care to explain?

I thought Enslaved was reeeaally good for the same reasons Senua is, basically (characters, voice acting, world building, animation, story), though the gameplay itself was average I guess.

• Ryos says:

Okay ,the disdain may be slightly imagined on my part, i just find their (not hellblade) games so forgettable that its insulting, and the constant shilling of them by an old associate of mine likely didnt help.

• ColonelFlanders says:

So basically you’re saying you’re a silver-haired Dante fan. Ninja Theory have made like 6 games and all of them have been well-received (not counting the Disney bollocks), except for DmC which was awesome unless you’re one of those weird mouth-foaming hard-core fans. Can you source their ‘disdain for their audience’? From what I’ve seen they seem to ‘ve a pretty cool and low key dev who make the best games they can with the resources they have. I’d rather give them 30 Bucks for a game that they made smart business decisions to create than yet another 60 at Ubisoft for Icon-Vacuumer 5000.

• Ryos says:

Yeah you got me, i dont like DmC so it must be entirely about the main characters hair. i hate hair, i have no gameplay qualms or care about how they ruined the combat timing, its actually the best game ever made but THAT HAIR.

• ColonelFlanders says:

I meant the hair thing as a joke comment, but you’ve gone and outed yourself anyway. I liked the game so I guess you’re either a fan or you aren’t.

• TheDandyGiraffe says:

Wow, OK, so you’re not willing to pay them for a *good* game they made because you consider all the *other* ones bad? That’s some first-class logic right there.

• sonofsanta says:

Here’s an idea: if you don’t like some of the games a developer has made, don’t give them money for those games. Meanwhile, the games you do like, you can give them money for. It’s the free market in action!

• unraveler says:

Seriously? Only one single mistake, and you are already condemning them to Molyneux level?
      Are people these days so unforgivable to never believes in second chance?

• Ryos says:

Oh i believe in second chances, then enslaved came out, i believed in third chances, but then DmC. im done with them.

• Daymare says:

Then it’s pretty safe to say you won’t enjoy Hellblade either, and there’s no reason to spend any money on this game either way.

I mean, I’m sure there’s people who don’t like Enslaved but totally love Hellblade. I just don’t think that’s you.

• jusplathemus says:

Funny thing is, as of now, I’m the opposite. I love Enslaved but Hellblade just didn’t leave an impact. I mean, I salute the game for its accomplishments, I really do… Maybe I was just expecting something else, just like when I played Enslaved for the first time. Maybe I’ll come to love it on my second playthrough.

2. heretic says:

Really enjoyed this game, very poignant – great art, voice acting, sound design. Some of the puzzles were a bit meh but it didn’t outstay its welcome.

Thought the price point was well chosen too, bought on release after reading reviews, I rarely buy games on release these days…

3. isolatedRay says:

They should have a sale on world health day, it would cause more people to buy it and raise more money for the charity.

4. SaintAn says:

I’m going to celebrate World Mental Health Day by buying loot boxes in Overwatch.