Seven: The Days Long Gone shows off sneaking, disguises and murder

seven

Seven: The Days Long Gone is a terrible name and a fascinating game. It’s a stealthy RPG from former Witcher 3 devs that calls to mind everything from Thief to Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun. It’s due out next week, but in the meantime I’ve been playing a little. Carry on for some thoughts and a new trailer with some stealth lessons to learn.

I’m in the process of reviewing it for RPS fanzine PC Gamer [Traitor – Ed]  and have mostly been stripping corpses and running off with their clothes in an effort to create a selection of handy disguises. Peh, the prison island on which the game is set (not the dismissive noise I make when I hear something ridiculous) is largely open, so I’ve been getting up to mischief on my own terms, breaking into places I shouldn’t be, stealing everything not nailed down. I’m already in prison — what have I got to lose? Actually quite a lot, but we’re venturing into spoiler territory.

The trailer says there’s “always more than one solution to a problem” and that sort of free-wheeling experimentation is very much present right from the get-go. I was able to ignore all of the tutorial’s instructions and complete the first mission in an entirely different way, just by mucking around and testing the game’s limits. I left a lot of naked, booby-trapped bodies lying around.

Peh itself, and the world it resides in, is an unusual place. It’s a post-apocalyptic sci-fi setting, but there’s mysticism and magic that verges on the fantastical, along with the trappings of an industrial dystopia with a dash of cyberpunk. It’s a mashup of a lot of different settings, which I haven’t decided if I love or just find really confusing.

Seven: The Days Long Gone is due out on Steam, GOG and the Humble Store on December 1.

1. Vandelay says:

“naked, booby” *snigger*

I like the look of this. I have feeling it might be another Talos Principle or Shadow Tactics; a game released at the end of the year that is as real gem, but gets completely forgotten, because it is too late to be included in end of year lists. Might be too optimistic, but it at least looks right up my street.

2. Cyber Ferret says:

I adore stealthy larceny in general (and in the game!), but my question about this game is the question I have of all “stealth” games–do the gameplay mechanics ever amount to anything more than a glorified game of “tag”?

I really enjoy open ended stealth games up until the point I realize that my reward for playing them well is a shallow game without much skill challenge, and my punishment for making a mistake is to be immediately thrust into a terrible game that is not designed to be enjoyed by the player. The first Deus Ex reboot was the worst example of this–sneak up behind someone and push a button to watch a knockout/assassination animation free of any player skill requirement (yawn), or to instead play the game as a substandard shooter.

• mukuste says:

I fully agree with you. But isn’t that the stealth genre in a nutshell?

• Cyber Ferret says:

I don’t think it *has* to be, or at least I want to believe that. But I can’t quite verbalize how it could be better, or why I play some stealth games and they feel “fuller” than others. I know I enjoyed the stealth in the last Splinter Cell game…Blacklist? I thought that was pretty satisfying. But I couldn’t tell you why.

• lordcooper says:

MGS V being the obvious exception to this. Active stealth where you need to be aware of your surroundings at all times and can take people down in a plethora of imaginative ways. Failure means being forced to take part in a pretty decent shooter, call for your bipedal tank, or hide in a portaloo and play recordings of someone taking a dump.

• Crafter says:

Have you played Thief ?

I would be curious to know if you think this applies to this game.

IMO it’s game design holds up very strongly and is a perfect exemple of stealth done right.

3. fiendling says:

Looks fantastic, I will definitely add it to my wishlist.

4. poliovaccine says:

“(not the dismissive noise I make when I hear something ridiculous)”

Given the conversational tone RPS write in, that was actually necessary, thank you haha

5. heretic says:

This is certainly intriguing, I’m not sure about the tone or the world itself but will definitely take another look. Hoping to see a WiT soon

6. Captain Iglo says:

At first I thought Peh was an onomatopoeia expressing a combination of “pfft” and “meh”.

Comment on this story