Sad millennial simulator Night In The Woods gets new (and old) content

Night In The Woods
Depressed animal economic collapse adventure Night In The Woods exists in a strange place in my consciousness. While I absolutely love so much about it, from the characters to the art to the music and beyond, it’s not particularly my sort of game – I’m more of a hands-on, solve problems kinda guy.

I’ve also seen almost everything the game has to offer, thanks to friends streaming it several times over, and now I might have to tune in again to see what’s fresh, thanks to the game getting it’s very own director’s cut version, extended and expanded to coincide with its console launch. Welcome to Weird Autumn.

The biggest addition to the Weird Autumn edition of Night of The Woods is the full integration of Lost Constellation and Longest Night, two shorter promotional games that were released for free over the course of NITW’s long development cycle, each offering a unique, if brief spin on the setting. Now, they’re part of the story, if you don’t mind having despondent┬átroublemaker┬áMae take a break from her crime-spree to sit down for a town history lesson every now and then.

On the subject of crimes, there’s more of them to do. A lot of Night In The Woods’ interactivity came from hanging out with your estranged friends, getting into trouble and embarking on petty acts of rebellion and vandalism because there’s nothing better to do in the gods-forsaken town of Possum Springs. So yes, this probably means more opportunities to raise hell with Gregg, and should lend it all a little more replay value if you want to see all the scenes.

There’s also a few more additions. Players on the Steam forums are already reporting a few extra dialogue options here and there, plus Mae’s room now comes equipped with her old bass, so she can reminisce musically when chilling out at home. Yes, it’s the feature so many have been clamouring for: You can replay all the musical minigames, just in case you wanted to hear Die Anywhere Else again, if you’ve not had your fill of fan-made vocal covers, that is.

The Weird Autumn update is live and free now for all versions of the game, including Steam, GOG and Humble.

Night in the Woods is one of RPS’s favourite games of the year, earning a spot on the advent calendar.

1. jusplathemus says:

I had some oddly ambivalent feelings toward this game on my first playthrough. Having bought it on release day, I really wanted to like it, but something didn’t sit well with me and I just couldn’t put my finger on what it was. This might be a good oppurtunity to give it another chance, hoping it’ll win me over this time around.

2. Oasx says:

The ending to the game was really weird, the game spends hours building up Mae’s character and you realize why she acts the way she does, and then the game forgets all that character work and just completely changes genre.

Also, I wouldn’t mind if they patched out the band sessions, or atleast makes them skippable.

• Dominic Tarason says:

Eh, gotta disagree there. Read at face value, it might seem like a hard redirection, but look at it through even the weakest of metaphorical lenses and it’s entirely in keeping with the rest of the story.

Aerothorn says:

Dominic is 100% correct. If there is any criticism to be made of the ending, it’s for making all the subtle themes suddenly overt (I have mixed feelings about that decision) but it’s certainly doesn’t undermine anything.

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

And there are hints towards what the ending might entail if you’re diligent- Mae finding out information about her ancestors, information in the microfilm archives in the library. I didn’t see the ending coming before I got there, but when I arrived it was with a big, “Ohhhh.”

• Dominic Tarason says:

This thread probably needs a spoiler warning on it, but it’s also worth mentioning that the Big Bad is about as allegorical as you can get. You don’t have to squint hard for it to take on a far more conventional form, the likes of which you see happening in so many desperate old industrial towns seeking to reclaim past glories.

• Jackablade says:

It did feel on my first play through that the personal story arc got derailed by the other storyline and pushed the overall message the story conveyed into kind of a weird place.

It might be interesting to go back with the extra content, and knowing where it’s eventually going to end up, and seeing whether it holds together a little better.

3. durrbluh says:

Much like my own misspent youth, NITW seems like an experience best left fondly remembered but not revisited.

4. poliovaccine says:

Being a sad millennial from a broke ass town who had to return home from college for reasons I would have preferred to leave ambiguous to my estranged friends, this game was probably supposed to be so far up my alley I couldnt sit down… but I found I liked it less and less as I continued with it, and I never actually finished it, which is kind of bad when your storyline is about a big mystery. Hard to say what I didn’t like, and it would be easy to say it was just uncomfortable for hitting too close to home, but I think it’s more just seeing fundamentally my own experience transliminated into tweedom that really rubbed me wrong. The more I could relate, the more I didn’t want to. I guess my problem was with the art style, but even that doesnt put it right. Anyway, it’s a personal enough gripe that I still wouldnt withhold recommendation to someone, but like I say, it lost me and I never finished it. At first I really liked it, too, so that was weird.

Aerothorn says:

My preferred Die Anywhere Else vocal cover: link to

6. KRVeale says:

It’s on too, and that gets the devs a higher cut of sales than any other store: link to
    Plus, that gets you a DRM-free version alongside a Steam key, so there’s no downside.

7. dethtoll says:

If not for Hollow Knight this would be my GOTY. Not only do I identify heavily with the overall vibe of the game but the main character reminds me of my best friend (consequently I got a little upset towards the end when bad stuff started happening to her. Now that’s good writing!)

8. RedPanda87 says:

” to coincide with its console launch” very minor point but Xbox One launch I think. It arrived on PS4 a day or two after PC.

9. smagnus says:

I really wanted to like it, but playing it after Kentucky Route Zero makes it feel like a too simplistic representative of its genre that definitely doesn’t justifies all the hype around it.

10. HothMonster says: