Space Hulk: Deathwing becomes Enhanced in May

Polish your crotchskull and prepare to demonstrate renewed devotion to the Emperor, as Space Hulk: Deathwing will officially become the Enhanced Edition on May 22nd. This is the last in a series of free updates intended to expand and improve the squad-based FPS, which had the looks of Warhammer 40K but didn’t have the touch. It was too janky and just too thin, which is a shame because it has such lovely Gothic spaceships and such big crotchskulls. Fingers crossed this update can find that magic. Not that I believe in magic; that would be heresy. Ah yes, I love the Emperor, I surely do.

While Space Hulk: Deathwing – Enhanced Edition will arrive on PlayStation 4 in one go, parts of it have already been patched into the PC version. Over the past year, developers Streum On Studio (who also made the delightfully ambitious jankfest E.Y.E.: Divine Cybermancy) have added randomised missions, a new Chaplain class, and other bits.

So what will officially becoming the Enhanced Edition mean? New enemies, for starters. A weapon customisation system letting Space Marines cover their guns in scopes and knives, as shown in this video. An armour customisation system with all sorts of pretty doodads, as seen in this over video. Other stuff.

Is this enough to pep it back up? I hope it helps. I never expected Deathwing to be mega-great but I was hoping for another solid 7/10 action game and, as Alec’s Space Hulk: Deathwing review explained, it was not there yet.

1. Maxheadroom says:

hopefully it’ll be worth picking up now, especially if this patch launches with a drop in price. Was pretty disappointed with what i saw of it on release and quickly forgot about it

2. Dominic Tarason says:

Not too surprised there’s a re-launch. When Deathwing was first announced, I was pretty sure it would be an impressive yet janky mess, purely on account of being by Streum On Studio, a team of enthusiastic 40k modders turned pro.

They’re not a team to ever give up, though – see the huge amount of work they poured into EYE post-release – so I was expecting a lengthy period of improvements and tweaking after launch. Good to see it all coming together now.

3. Moni says:

It had the looks, did it have the touch? I think it’s alright.

4. Greg Wild says:

It was a jiggling bag of dicks on launch, so I’m definitely looking forward to seeing if they finally get it fixed.

5. stringerdell says:

Bought it at launch, havent touched it since about 4 days after launch. This is good news!

6. nimbulan says:

I thought the game was ok, not great. The main problem was abysmal performance, which did not improve much if at all even after they did a full engine rewrite. Firing your gun halving the framerate simply should not happen.

7. gorgonaut says:

I’d pay double monies if this game had some sort of free camera screenshotting, director replay type of thing.
    Then, I’d abuse these powers by way of photogrammetry and 3d print tiny dioramas.

8. po says:

One has to wonder just how much better Deathwing could have been, if the rights to this particular Warhammer property had been given to Fatshark instead (The developers of the very good Vermintide, and now Vermintide 2).

In Deathwing, for the big set-piece battle at the end of the first mission, I stood at the top of a ladder and killed every gene-stealer just by swing a sword as they came up it one at a time. I didn’t bother playing it any more after that.

In Vermintide, the enemies, weapons, characters and missions were so good (better I’d say than L4D), that it’s the only game that’s managed to get me to take a break from Warframe (for a full 6 months).

Who knows, with Fatshark providing mod-tools for Vermintide 2, if someone is really determined, they could produce a much better Deathwing game, kind of like how DICE’s Desert Combat mod for BF1942 was so good, it got them employed to make BF2 and the following Battlefield titles.

There probably won’t be a Deathwing 2 though, but if there was, a collaboration might work better. Streum could do an excellent job on the art, while Fatshark provides the engine code, writing, voice and audio, and mission scripting.

• Colwolf77 says:

I agree with you, the visualisation of Deathwing is spot on. Everything looks as you would expect but what the game lacked on launch was any kind of involving gameplay mechanics based on the combat. A game which solely focuses on combat has to do it well, Vermintide 2 is a prime example of this. It rewards good player thinking and teamwork. In this game I found myself just shooting without any other involvement. Give us enemies that force us to decide on a plan of action, endless swarms get boring. Respect the intelligence of the player, don’t make it a mindless shooter.

• Stevostin says:

TBF you’d have to compare it to Vermintide 1 which I bought way after release and found to be a pile of junk.

9. Hartford688 says:

Well the release date has slipped multiple times since December, so hopefully May 22nd will indeed be the date.

Maybe then I will buy again – I got it in a sale a couple of months ago in anticipation of the EE, but found that “as is”, while the atmosphere was fantastic, the gameplay was far too repetitive. That said, when the EE really does arrive I’ll maybe try again.

10. haldolium says:

Hmm. Still looks much more promising as the actual game might deliver.
    I found the original release dull and very boring so I doubt this will make much of a difference.

I want a better version of Space Marine basically.

• Xelos says:

The fact that there will probably never be a sequel to Space Marine makes my heart bleed regularly since the first time I played it… That game was an almost perfect simulation of being a Space Marine, if it was only used for a less mediocre campaign.

11. Stevostin says:

The thing that looks like a possible game changer are the random mission stuff as the repetitive nature of the game was apparently one of the biggest flaw. Performances and slightly but not outrageously dull game play came second. Nothing on that front in the trailer but hopefully they improved that by small touches.

12. iARDAs says:

I better buy Vermintide 2 over this right?

• Nucas says:

absolutely. especially considering the temerity of charging 40 dollars for this utterly drab, aggressively mediocre game vs. 30 for vermintide 2 (and you can get it for about 22 at fanatical right now with their coupon)

the other factors being a) deathwing is just a terrible experience solo, and if you wanted to co-op its average playercount is 45 per day vs about 30,000 for vermintide 2, and b) the vermintide series has much better long term support from fatshark vs. the fitful updates from streum on studios who, as this article points out, are just a bunch of up-jumped modders.

13. bfar says:

I quite enjoyed it. Maybe I’m a bit old school, but I’ve not interest in all the customisation lark