Men Of War: Assault Squad Open Beta

By Jim Rossignol on November 3rd, 2010 at 8:14 am.

Hooray! The MoWAS Steam group finally hit 10,000 people, and the open beta has commenced. DigitalMindSoft say: “Players will be able to try out the new skirmish game mode on two maps with up to four players, and play other popular online game modes such as Assault Zone, Combat and Frontlines, which have all been improved. For instance players can now use Special Units throughout the entire battle.”

Join us! You can get the beta here. (And it uses Steam.)

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Andrew Dunn says:

Yessssss. About damn time!

Men of War was one of the best games of 2009, largely due to its excellent multiplayer (as good as singleplayer was), so I’ve been waiting for this one with bated breath.

2. Ozymandias says:

Hell yes, I’ve been waiting for this one. Glad I stayed up late tonight! (it’s 4 AM over here)

3. MD says:

Yay!

4. frags says:

YESSS!!!! Co-op?

5. BooleanBob says:

Couple of TIger tanks on the front page: just one of the many reasons I loves my RPS <3

6. Collic says:

Downloading this now. Those in the know, is it still saddled with gamespy? Please let this be steam based match-making now.

7. coldwave says:

Finally.

8. Mashakosha says:

Yay! I’ve been waiting for this for a while. The initiative to sign up to the steam group helped get this a lot of attention which I’m sure it deserves.Will download this when I get home.

9. cncplyr says:

It doesn’t work for me, the cd key doesn;t seem long enough. Is everyone elses 4-4-4-4 long?

10. Huggster says:

At last I can play some RPS freshers!
    gave up the closed beta as always got whupped

11. trooperdx3117 says:

Anyone else having problems starting the install? Steam accepts my CD Key as being valid but wont start the install saying its servers are overloaded

• tigershuffle says:

thats the beauty of open beta :(

similar thing on World of Tanks ………..tested to destruction every evening
      soon as everyone jumps on board it will probably fall over

but its got tanks and hats …..so it will not fail!

not one step back

• Bluebreaker says:

blame steam for that

12. jackflash says:

Now this is the right way to start a day!

13. Bluebreaker says:

So they just ripped German Soldiers Mod and then sell as a new game?

mod: http://www.moddb.com/mods/german-soldiers-mod-fields-of-honor

14. Kong says:

Gods of war!

15. Magical Melvin says:

I would lovingly embrace anyone who could tell me the firewall ports for this, and the other, men of war games.

Thank you fine ladies and gentlemen.

• Collic says:

I’m not sure without looking it up, but to host it may work fine if your router has upnp. If not, check out the standard ports for gamespy sice that’s what the mow games use for their multi-player. Portforward.com should have a default port range.

• Magical Melvin says:

Awesome, I’ll have a gander. I won’t upnp be enabled – I’m running everything through a uni firewall – but ill try and find the Gamespy ports and mess around with them till I can get it running.

Cheers for the info!

16. evilbobthebob says:

I’m behind a uni firewall as well- I keep getting told I can’t connect to the chat and kicked back to main menu, though I can see the games list fine. Unfortunately, unless you can use a VPN tunnel of some kind (I can’t, I’ve tried) you won’t be able to play :(

Same happens for me with Minecraft multiplayer too. If anyone has input on this I’d be eternally grateful.

• Magical Melvin says:

Where I’m at we are allowed to open a certain amount of walls in the university firewall, do you not have this option at yours?

I managed to get Minecraft working online for the Halloween update – but I haven’t tried the multiplayer on that… Managed to get Steam working and can play Left4Dead 2 multiplayer as well as the odd Empire: Total War game.

But hmm, I’m going to try anyway, and see what happens – won’t be able to test it till after 9 ish tomorrow when the firewall gets updated. I’ll be upset if it doesn’t work.

17. earl says:

Don’t expect a polished game here. It’s is unfinished. This is a real beta.

18. confused says:

i downloaded this from steam on windows vista, and ha0vent played the first one;i just got this cause it looked good and was free. BUT, when i try to run the game, steam flashes up preparing to load, then windows says it is unable to run it or something… HELP? i didnt use 2 gigs of internet allowance for nothing!