Saving Graces: Walking Dead Season Two

By Adam Smith on January 7th, 2013 at 9:00 pm.

Inexplicably finding themselves in conversation with an energy drink manufacturer, Telltale mentioned that they were working on season two of The Walking Dead. We already knew that but what we didn’t know is that the sequel to last year’s most efficient jerker of tears will most likely carry over saves from the ending of the original episodes. That surprises me, considering that the season ended with the zombie virus cured by a broth containing Basset Hound saliva and pixie tears. Wouldn’t it be more sensible to go back to the dark days of the decaying dead and follow a separate group of survivors rather than continuing with the Little House on the Prairie set-up suggested by that ending? Actual spoilers below.

The next paragraph really does contain spoilers so stop reading now if you haven’t finished the first season yet. STOP! If you must continue, how about this: 8.5 million individual chapters of the game were sold last year. That’s a lot of copies, although I did buy episode one on PC and PS3 because I’m an idiot, so consider the entire figure to be unfairly inflated. About six people probably played the whole thing from start to finish. Six million.

I did expect the second season to feature a completely new cast, although that’s mainly because almost everybody dies in the original. Clementine’s the obvious choice for a sequel and I’d love to see the second season jump forward a few years, showing us her teenage or young adult years. That way, the save file could be used to call back to the choices each player’s Lee made in the original, with Clem echoing his choice of words and actions.

That said, the state of the world five or ten years into a zombie takeover strikes me as much less interesting than the more immediate aftermath. Clementine is all that survives of Lee though and that sort of generational passing of the torch could be a fantastic storytelling tool. It’s hard to imagine playing as Clementine when she’s still so young though. Maybe a new protector? Maybe even the surviving couple and Clem, together?

In the same interview, Telltale CEO Dan Connors also sets the studio’s sights high for their next project: “Coming from LucasArts we always felt we could do a great Star Wars story game…We also love the idea of building out a deeper story to a great game franchise, something like Half Life Stories or Halo Stories.”

That’s right, Mr Connors, another episodic Half Life series is precisely what we need.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. nindustrial says:

Agreed that I would prefer to leave the ending alone and hop to a new group.

2. WoundedBum says:

Them jumping forward an amount of years seems unlikely as that would mean jumping ahead of comic timeline, which is still only a year-ish from the outbreak.

Also, shit! I didn’t keep my saves.

• Pasco says:

Yeah, there’s simply no way the game can do a time skip forward starring Clem, which appears to be the lazy journo staple suggestion.

Do some research on the source material maybe guys?

• Nogo says:

The crusty crew from the comics has seen several winters so far, definitely beyond a year at this point. Doesn’t seem like Kirkman has any grand plans for the universe anytime soon anyway,

• jinains1988 says:

Wow! Friends! Come take a look! Large screen smart phone! What a good thing! ! Absolute lowest price!, Not to be missed! http://92url.com/b6

• WoundedBum says:

It’s about a year and a half if I remember, definitely not two yet.

He has a general feeling over where it should end, so they certainly can’t advance any significant amount of time at the moment.

3. Wild_Marker says:

Well the Steam Achievements say that roughly 36% of buyers actually finished the game. Also, only 90% of buyers STARTED IT.

• Syra says:

People buy sales in games, or vice versa, and never get around to playing them I guess. I tried my best to be strict about this, rigorously completing bought games… but I sadly have 3 games installed which I have never played -_- and it’s been almost a year. New stuff keeps grabbing my ADHD.

• cqdemal says:

I think the 36% figure is affected by a bug. I finished the final episode but never got the final achievement.

• Deano2099 says:

I think that’s true. The Steam achievement page for the game is kinda interesting actually, as they’re entirely linear, so you can see the drop off.

90% of people finished the first part of episode one, but only 71% finished the entire episode.
        65% were back for episode two, but only 57% finished it.
        53% came back from episode three, 47% finishing it.
        44% back for episode four, 41% finish it.
        38% started episode five, and then it does appear to be bugged as it remains consistent at 37%ish until the very last achievement, which is only 32%.

4. CheesyJelly says:

Doctor Who Stories!

5. Syra says:

Yes more episodic half life to torture us over the span of another decade.

6. AngoraFish says:

The ‘game’ was interesting enough for me to finish it, but one animated Zombie movie with QTEs, moon-walking interludes, and every NPC suffering from sociopathic personality disorder, was enough.

7. Baf says:

The way the Walking Dead game worked was: Offer the players choices, then punish them for what they chose. Regardless of what you say you want, the goal of the writers was to make you regret ever having wanted it.

Given this, I’d be very wary about asking for Clementine to return. The only real difficulty the writers will face in deciding what role she should play in the new story is in deciding whether she should already be turned, or whether you get to watch it happen and not be able to do anything about it.

• gschmidl says:

Or whether you get to watch her turn, then have to kill her. With a wooden spoon.

• pack.wolf says:

My guess is that Clem will reappear in the second game and depending on what you told her as Lee in the first one will save someone/fail to save someone from a new group and/or live/die. So we all probably doomed her and another poor soul already…

• Eddy9000 says:

I’d love to pick up a separate character and then find a zombified clem, or a clem that must be unavoidably killed halfway through!

8. lordcooper says:

More Walking Dead can only be a good thing.

9. Iceman346 says:

While I would be fine with another story, another group of survivors without much change of timeframe I would love to have the story of Clementine continued. While Walking Dead ultimately fell flat in the choice department it is genuinely one of the most impressive feats of storytelling I have seen in videogames so far.
    Clementine as a character was just incredibly likeable and I would love to see her tale continued or at least brought to some kind of closure.

Yes, even if that closure is watching her getting eaten alive in the next Season ;)

10. Vegard Pompey says:

I hope to see Molly as a major character in season 2.

• HadToLogin says:

Hard to be a major character when there’s a major possibility to be eaten in Episode 4…
      Well, she might have run if you weren’t able to take that shot, but that’s as much of possibility as finding living Kenny – especially in world of The Living Dead.
      And since Season 2 will use your saves Telltale can’t build game on her character – it’s not Bioware and ME3, where death of everyone in ME2 just change important-NPCs into dull NPCs. But some minor role, where either Molly will be grateful or even more spiteful is possible.

11. mckertis says:

“About six people probably played the whole thing from start to finish.”

Surely you wanted to say “watched the whole thing from start to finish”, didnt you ?

• AlwaysRight says:

Hahahahahahahaha, brilliant!

I’m totally not sick of hearing the ‘its not a game’ banter over and over and over.

12. xGhost4000x says:

They really need to work on their presentation. While the game was fun and I enjoyed it, sadly it was far to linear of a game. Most of the choices literally boiled down to “bad thing is going to happen no matter what you do, just pick who the bad thing happens too” and sometimes even less of a choice than that “This person is going to die no matter what, do you try to stop it from happening or just let it happen”

• lordcooper says:

Isn’t that actually pretty realistic though?

• xGhost4000x says:

It can be, but it gets frustrating when it seems like choice is only included in the game to give you the illusion of control. In many ways it reminds me of Mass Effect 3. No matter what you do you’re going to get just about the same ending. Perhaps the possibilities for story separation will increase as more seasons of this game are released.

EDIT: How do I check my posts in RPS? How do I know when someone responds to a comment I posted?

13. Hulk Handsome says:

I really love the series, but seriously, they should probably work on fixing the huge, glaring bugs in the games (especially regarding save games) before the start working on a sequel. My experience with the first was so marred by bugged saves that I’m sure as hell not buying the second unless it’s confirmed it’s not as much of a disaster.

I think what’s most annoying is Tell Tale’s silence regarding the bugs. It’s made me really dislike them as a company.

• The Innocent says:

That’s been my problem, unfortunately. I loved the first episode, then the game decided my saves weren’t good enough, and I could never get any of the proposed fixes to work. No help from Telltale, even to this day.

• TheApologist says:

Yep – the save game bug absolutely killed my experience. Got to episode three, was genuinely invested and loving it. Save game – stopped in the middle of ep 3 and when I went back, I had to start at ep 1. Played through ep 1 and started ep 2 directly after, and the story I was playing bore no relation to my game. Ruined it for me.

It is really unbelievable that there isn’t a fix.

• Christian O. says:

The save bugs are game-destroying, and I can’t believe that they haven’t even indicated that they were going to fix them.

I tried playing through it three times, and finally had to give up.

14. ice0105 says:

That’s a lot of copies, although I did buy episode one on PC and PS3 because I’m an idiot, so consider the entire figure to be unfairly inflated. ice maker

15. LennyLeonardo says:

SPOILERZ: My money is on an older Clementine being the next protagonist. The final sequence, in which you get the incapacitated Lee to suggest interactions to Clem, seemed like a torch-passing not just in narrative terms, but in gameplay terms too – like he was teaching her how to play the game.

It really reminded me of the ranch missions at the end of Red Dead (again, SPOILERZ) – with John passing all the gameplay stuff he’d learned on to Jack before he… *sniff*… you know…

Comment on this story