Rifle Report: Arma 3 Enters Playable Alpha On March 5th

By Jim Rossignol on February 26th, 2013 at 5:00 pm.

From next week you’ll be able to play Arma 3. Yes, the headline gave it away, didn’t it? Pre-ordering a “Arma 3 Alpha, Arma 3 Digital Deluxe, Or Arma 3 Supporter editions” (all available soon) will soon give immediate access to Arma 3 on Steam, or at least to an alpha test of a limited build of the game that will run until the full beta test some time in the second quarter of the year. Bohemia explain: “Featured in the Arma 3 Alpha are four showcase missions (Infantry, Vehicles, SCUBA and Helicopter), a limited subset of weapons and vehicles, two multiplayer scenarios, the powerful scenario editor and modding support. The 20 km² island of Stratis, which is positioned right off the coast from Arma 3’s main destination ‘Altis’ (270 km²), will form the backdrop of the Arma 3 Alpha.” There’s much more to come, as the scope of the test expands.

Hands on with Arma 3′s alpha, as well as an interview with the Bohemians, coming up later this week.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. HatsAlEsman says:

I can’t wait to see some of the good custom missions from Arma 2 ported over. Jolly Green always makes for a fun night.

Also, they need support for ridiculous stuff as well such as the BATTLEBUS. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZc0mwTbgwI I mean the Battlebus should really just be a regular vehicle but I fear it would make war far too easy.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Mind blown.

• jonfitt says:

I have ridden that Battlebus!
      Sometimes all you can see is gun barrels, men, and the world exploding.

• El_Emmental says:

That’s why I really really hope they’ll make sure the scripting/mod tools are much more easier-to-use, stable and frequently patched.

Imagine: making a flying BattleBus, able to take-off and land easily, refill its ammo, allow people to switch between seats, etc… done in 2-3 hours.

Now imagine two buses welded together for a twin fuselage design, or a central cabin with 2 fixed cannons and the side fuselage getting crewed MGs, some kind of powered-up P-38 Lightning – that would be glorious !

2. BloonerNL says:

Some more info for you guys that I have, as the official website seems to be down right now (too many viewers):

5th March you can buy 1 of three packages: Alpha package, Digital Deluxe package, Supporter package.

Apha package is €25 and gives you access to Alpha, Beta, and the full game.
    Digital Deluxe is €40 and additionally gives you downloads of the soundtrack, maps, and a guide.
    Supporter is €70 and also gives you ARMA1. ARMA1:QG, ARMA2, ARMA2:A, ARMA2:BAF, ARMA2:PMC and any non-standalone DLC that “may or may not” come out for ARMA3.

Price of the game will increase as development goes on. Final price for ARMA3 will be €45.

Recommended system requirements:
    OS Windows Vista SP2 / Windows 7 SP1
    PROCESSOR Intel Core i5-2300 / AMD Phenom II X4 940
    GRAPHICS Nvidia GeForce GTS 560 / AMD Radeon HD 7750
    GPU MEMORY 1 GB
    DirectX® 11
    RAM 4 GB
    HARD DRIVE 25 GB free space
    HARD DRIVE (ALPHA) 20 GB free space
    AUDIO DirectX® compatible soundcard
    OTHER Internet connection and free Steam account to activate

Too bad there is not a package that has the future DLC without the older ARMA’s. I already got those…

• darkChozo says:

So does the Alpha package get you into this particular alpha? Asking because the article specifies a “supporter edition” of unknown description.

Regardless, 40% off the final price and alpha/beta access is pretty tempting for a preorder. Certainly ages ahead of the free gun + TF2 hatz nonsense that’s industry standard nowadays, though maybe this is more along the lines of a founder’s package.

• Necroscope says:

BloonerNL describes the “supporter edition” mentioned in the article priced at 70 euros. Extras for the Alpha edition are access to forthcoming beta and full game

• BloonerNL says:

Yes all three packages give you access to the Alpha. The article only mentions the supporter package, but that is erroneous.

• El_Emmental says:

Thanks for providing all these infos :)

Also, there’s an “Alpha Lite” edition, working from the 14 March to the 18 June (= 3 months and 4 days), which is like a demo:
      - the full island
      - all weapons/vehicles
      - “4 singleplayer showcases” (mini-campaigns or missions ?)
      - a (limited) scenario editor
      (!) No multiplayer, no modding

The Alpha, Digital Deluxe and Supporter edition will give you 3 Alpha Lite invites. Each Alpha Lite invite will contain 1 additional Alpha Lite invite (like a matryoshka doll).

The Alpha edition, priced at 25€ (from march 5 to ~April), will become the Beta edition around Q2 2013 (april to june) and will be then priced at 35€, then will become 45€ upon release.

The Digital Deluxe edition will go from 40€ (alpha) to 50€ (beta and final price), while the Supporter edition will stay the same price (70€), but won’t be available after the game is released.

3. slerbal says:

I am going to get the Alpha edition – it is a reasonable price and I am content to support them even if it launches broken :D

My hundreds of hours in Arma2 suggest that I am likely to enjoy this

The Digital Deluxe Editions and Supporter Editions are either overpriced (relative to the Alpha edition) or don’t quite seem worth it. I love game soundtracks, but Arma2′s wasn’t exactly stellar and the rest is a bit meh.

• Chortles says:

The pricing differences between digital deluxe and supporter alpha editions are in line with console collector’s editions (i.e. if a base game is $59.99, expect a collector’s edition to be $79.99 or $99.99, though in this case it’s more like $32.99, $49.99 and $91.99 for them).

4. King_Rocket says:

If you impatient like me and didn’t fully read the article, YOU CAN’T BUY THIS RIGHT NOW! I just spent 15 minutes trying to give them my money, they don’t want it yet.

5. Alfius says:

What the crap is that thing in the picture?

ARMA 3 sounds great apart from the “near future” setting.

Give me kit I can spend hours looking up on Wikipedia not some fantasy gear the devs dreamt up.

• Dominic White says:

I’m personally glad they’re going for a slightly sci-fi setting this time. Less money being diverted from game development to licensing official military hardware terminology and names, and thus less money actually going to arms manufacturers.

The result is a guilt-free game of virtual soldiers.

• All is Well says:

I think it’s an Ansyr, but I might be wrong about that.

Also, check out this thread: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?132745-Is-Arma-3-authentic
      I think it addresses some of your concerns.

• wengart says:

Give it a month or two and we will probably have entire modern armies available for download.

• lijenstina says:

It’s a prototype called Zil Karatel.

Only one made and dismantled.
      There were pictures on some forums like Military photos and Russian live journals that someone did take the Kamaz 4911 chassis – ( yes the Rally Kamaz – in the civilian version -there is videos of it driving a road at 160km/h so this thing should be fast) and place that body on it because of the looks) and that was an another prototype. It could be a new development for the Russian army/Internal Troops/ FSB, but I haven’t seen anything conclusive.

• bit_crusherrr says:

It’s not fantasy gear. It’s tech in testing/development now.

• YM says:

Actually almost every military equipments in ArmA 3 are already existing or in a state of prototype so you can spend hours looking up on Wikipedia. And check out that thread All is Well posted above. Have fun ;)

6. Masterpwny says:

March 5th?! They REALLY need to come out and release the DayZ standalone before mods for Arma3 actually succeed it.

7. cairbre says:

Im getting the €25 version I love playing wasteland on ARMA2 its the game that keeps on giving.

8. Bostec says:

Alpha version? This will probably be the final version, I better crack on and buy it. I can wait for the 12 month patch version before I dive in

• Didden says:

Yes, if it’s anything like ARMA2, it will be released on March the 6th and the dev’s saying ‘Its finished, honest!’ – at least until you get to half way through the campaign and the mission isn’t even playable.

9. SuperNashwanPower says:

Why have they fitted conservatory windows to that Army Car?

• Mattressi says:

I’m pretty sure they’re skylights. I’d imagine tanks and APCs get very dark when they’re closed up, so some smart architect has clearly found a way to reduce this problem. It’s also possible that we’re looking at it wrong and they’re more like the viewing windows on the floor of some tour boats – it’s so that people above them can look down into it.

• SuperNashwanPower says:

AHA yes this makes sense to me. It is designed for anti-gravity equipped hovering War Tourists from The Future

10. frosty216 says:

I’ll always be a die-hard fan, but I’m pretty sure all their games are still in Alpha. Don’t care, I’ll still support!

11. Deadite says:

Suicidal goats here I come…

12. Gap Gen says:

I wonder if Iran invading Greece was ever plausible before the Syrian Civil War. Unless Iran is just a not-marketing-suicide code word for Turkey.

• caddyB says:

Turkey doesn’t really use a whole lot of Russian equipment though.

13. soldant says:

In two minds about this. Firstly, it’s ARMA3 and apart from the other ARMA games there’s nothing else like it.

But I know that it’s going to be just as buggy as every other ARMA release which makes me laugh at the idea of a public beta. BIS never get some things right and every release has been a massive screw up, I don’t know if I want to give them money this time around.

• Chortles says:

At least it’s noticeably cheaper than Arma 2 was at launch AND outright said to be an alpha.

14. Citrus says:

Look at that next-gen terrain. Puts HALO to shame..

15. yourgrandma says:

Merge the maps from arma 1/2 into 3 and i’ll take the supporter edition.