The Complete S.EXE, Cara Ellison’s Series About Games, Sex and Relationships

From 2014-2015, RPS’s Senior Scottish Correspondent Cara Ellison wrote S.EXE, 29 columns about games about sex, games about love, games about the space in between those two things, games about sexuality, and games about schlongs. Unfortunately the series is on indefinite hiatus as Cara takes a break from writing about games after her spectacular but surely exhausting Embed With… project, but whether you missed it the first time, didn’t catch all of them or are simply missing it already, you should absolutely revisit S.EXE yourself now. It’s a by turns insightful and funny (and very often both) document of the wilder side of games, the darker side of games, the sillier side of games and a hugely important but often little-seen side of games. Here’s the complete archive.

Please be aware that many of these are NSFW, depending on your workplace or whoever else is watching.

And, sadly enough, that’s it for now. It’s not quite the end of S.EXE, however: Cara has plans for the series, including a standalone compliation of everything to date. Many thanks for writing these, Cara. We hope you come back soon.

1. Kefren says:

Looking forward to S.BAT in 2016.

2. RobF says:

I’ve enjoyed all these hugely. Thanks for running them, RPS-folks.

3. AbsoluteShower says:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. xalcupa says:

I also enjoyed the articles and angles. Different and often challenging. Please keep it up.

5. ashjxx says:

I’m gonna miss these a ton, Cara. I look forward to the ebook and your future writings, whenever they happen!

6. Muppetizer says:

These were some of the most fun and interesting articles on games I’ve read, I’d love if RPS could fill the gap with another series looking at games and games culture from a focused and unique perspective (a Level With Me 2 would also be awesome), although it will be impossible to replace Cara’s writing. I’m going to miss the series so much!

I really hope Cara finds the time (or needs the cash :P) to write some less structured articles here over the next year or so.

• snowgim says:

+1 to all of that.

keithzg says:

Yeah, I think the thing is, it’d be hard to impossible to find another writer with Cara’s particular perspectives and style—but that’s no reason not to go and find other writers with their own unique voices and perspectives. RPS has always been great about delivering something more than the by-the-numbers reporting done by most of the games press (who broadly seem to cordon off their coverage into various types of reviews, previews and regurgitating of press releases, doing a very narrow subset of journalism). Cara’s columns will be missed, but hopefully RPS can find some others to write similarly intelligent and outside-of-the-rat-race articles in the meantime.

• RegisteredUser says:

Since noboy else is gonna write it..

I, too, hope that someone will help fill Cara’s gap.

Sinomatic says:

I never left many comments on S.EXE articles (I tended to absorb and think about them afterwards), but I always appreciated them immensely. Really hoping Cara will be back with more articles (of any kind) soon.

• Molen says:

+1 on that.
      I really wish Cara all the best and that in time we will get columns from her again

8. RARARA says:

S.EXE articles were always a wonderful blend of maturity and playfulness.

9. Ostymandias says:

A milestone achievement in video games writing.

Bluerps says:

I hope S.EXE returns one day.

Grizzly says:

This is going to sound really weird, but:
    Ocasionally when reading s.exe, I develop this taste for wine, even though I normally never drink it.
    Anyone know any good vintages?

12. Contrafibularity says:

Nice to have a bookmark for this to read what I missed when I have the time. Can’t believe I missed the VTMB articles last year, great read.

13. souroldlemon says:

The matches & matrimony link: link to rockpapershotgun.com

14. cpt_freakout says:

Awesome stuff. I would like to suggest to RPS to add a bottom-page (or to the side, or whatever) permanent link to the archive of series like this, Level With Me, the free games column (Porpentine, Konstantinos), etc. It would be great, particularly for newcomers, I think!