Telltale’s “Pretty Innovative” Walking Dead S3 Due 2016

As first hinted back in 2014, there’s definitely going to be a Season 3 of Telltale’s The Walking Dead – because The Walking Dead in all its forms is a story specifically designed to never, ever end. Telltale promise that the endings of Season 2 will be respected, and claim what they’re doing is “not from the bag of tricks that that we’ve ever shown anybody before.”

‘The Walking Dead’ is a clever play on words because it actually means the doomed survivors of the zombie apocalypse, not the zombies themselves: so say a hundred thousand pub-bores the world over. Well ACTUALLY ‘The Walking Dead’ refers to the endless hordes of consumers who mindlessly devour anything with ‘The Walking Dead’ written on it, DO YOU SEE. “Oh look another story about people being mean to each other and sometimes kissing while all their friends get killed, I must have it immediately. What do you mean what was the name of that guy I really liked in season one who got killed by whossiface? I don’t remember and I don’t care. All I care about is the fate of Feisty New Survivor #192. She’s definitely staying around forever, there’s no way they’d unexpectedly kill her for the same kind of easy melodramatic emotional manipulation that they’ve used 87 times over already.”

You’re quite right, I didn’t sleep last night. What of it? It’s fine, the games are fine, at least if you go in for Body Horror & Crying. A bit more self-contained than the entirely open-ended comics and TV show, and hugely influential, too. I’m just burned out on a conveyor belt of survivors and no possibility of illumination or meaningful closure. I used to watch soap operas too, and I don’t begrudge anyone who does, but there came a point where I realised any destination I thought was in sight was mere illusion and I just couldn’t care about these people any more.

Many others don’t feel similarly, and I’m sure there will be an enormous appetite for The Continuing Adventures Of Anyone Who Isn’t Dead Yet, Depending Somewhat On The Choices You Made In The Previous Series.

Telltale revealed the new series to Mashable, claiming that on the one hand it’s a clean point of entry for newcomers but on the other it will nonetheless reflect some decisions made in the earlier instalments.

Without spoiling anything, there are a bunch of different ways season 2 can resolve, and Telltale claim they’ve got a way to make season 3 incorporate whatever you chose. “From a role-playing, interactive storytelling point of view, it is not from the bag of tricks that we’ve ever shown anybody before,” Telltale Games CEO Kevin Bruner told Mashable. “The way that we’re dealing with and validating and retaining all those different playthroughs is really cool and unexpected and, I think, pretty innovative from the storytelling point of view.”

They also promise that they have a ‘solution’ in mind with which to import save data from previous series, which was hitherto looking tricky due to the lack of cloud save support in S1.

The game’s first episode is due at some point this year. It’s actually Telltale’s fourth Walking Dead series, as they’ve just wrapped up a Michonne side-story.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Germansuplex says:

I know it’s cool to hate on Telltale these days, but I will never not love their TWD series.

johannsebastianbach says:

This article summarizes all my feelings for TWD just perfectly.
    And I still watch every episode and play every Telltale game, because you know – addiction paired with self-loath. You gotta love these soap opera mechanics.
    Thanks for finding the right words to describe my attitude though.

3. gunny1993 says:

Amusingly the feelings you have above are almost exactly why I don’t really give a shit about Game of Thrones anymore, but I can’t say the same thing about The Walking Dead.

I think because I know hope of some kind of closure is totally out of the picture, I base my enjoyment on the characters and interactions (which is why TWD season 2 wasn’t very amazing and i’m not psyched for season 3)

Really it’s suspension of disbelief, something that is both totally unquantifiable and entirely based upon the person watching.

I mean ultimately every single story ends in all the characters dying anyway.

• gunny1993 says:

Oh also when I say TWD i’m always talking about the games because the T.V was wank

4. UncleBartek says:

I love this article! It’s totally chaotic, incoherent and cwwwwwwazy. Yet, there’s something really mesmerizing about the way this Alec person writes :P I’m a lifelong fan from now on :P

Besides, it’s a perfect summary of how the Walking Dead IP has been mistreated :)

5. Fredward says:

Telltale kinda lost me with the last episode of Season 2. Just… no, on so many, many levels. Haven’t tried any of their offerings since. We’ll see what the new bag of tricks has to offer but I’m not going to hold my breath.

basilisk says:

While I mostly enjoyed season two, you can’t deny that the formula is getting incredibly stale. Since their beginnings, Telltale have always had the tendency to find a template that worked once and then just mindlessly repeat it. Like, say, there apparently being a rule that there must be exactly two zombie attack QTE sequences per episode, so there will be exactly two even if we have to conjure the horde out of thin air. No compromises; them’s the rules. Also, carefully planning out all the story beats in advance is for losers. Suck it, Life is Strange, haphazard improvisation is where it’s at.

There’s undeniable talent in the company, but it really feels more like a factory churning out endless variations of the same pattern. Hard to believe they’re still enjoying it.

7. Monggerel says:

“Dying Light” is actually a clever play on words because you play as a super acrobat traceur and so your equipment has to be on the breezy side
    Also, zombies
    Also, day-night cycle where the onset of night heralds the appearance of deadly monsters

8. Kefren says:

I played TWD series 1 and 2 and the short spinoff, and The Wolf Among Us. Each time the unskippable “Coming next time!” spoilers pissed me off more and more. I decided I just wouldn’t buy any more of their games. We all have things that irritate us hugely in games, that is one of mine.

Aitrus says:

I always closed my eyes and covered my ears for those bits. :P

Aitrus says:

That’s not right, I didn’t cover my ears. I just turned off the sound like a normal person.

• Kefren says:

True, I always did that too – hit enter a few tiems just in case, scramble to turn off the volume, avert my eyes but only enough so I could tell when it was at the results/credits with nice music playing.

It shouldn’t have to be like that in 2016! :-)

9. spacedyemeerkat says:

Bloody hell. I can’t even remember what happened in season two. Age does that to you. (Although I can remember season one, oddly.)

10. Coming Second says:

Season One held me, partly because it was my first exposure TWD so I wasn’t yet used to the formula; the whole thing felt incredibly gripping and as a result I became invested in the characters.

The other thing was that the whole enterprise built to a conclusion which felt satisfying and meaningful. How Lee got on with the other survivors is noted and has an impact (even if, particularly in the case of Kenny, the execution is clumsy); more importantly, at the end someone holds a gun to your head and asks you to justify every hard decision you made, given that throughout you were imparting to a child how to survive and get on in this world. Of course all choice is false choice in TT games, but if there’s a satisfying conclusion that notices what you’ve been doing and makes you feel like you own it, that’s alright.

Compare and contrast with the second season, where at exactly no point do you feel like you have any control over events, your choices don’t go anywhere and the conclusion – whilst admirably difficult and interesting in itself – has very little to do with what came before it. Also some horrible sudden changes of character which are extremely hard to swallow. Hi, Bonny.

Aitrus says:

The relationship between Lee and Clem really made Season 1 what it was, for me. Season 2 just didn’t have the same spirit. What it did have was “Do I want to piss Kenny off today or not?”

InfamousPotato says:

For some reason, Telltale’s games feel a lot less nihilistic than the show to me.

12. Durgendorf says:

I likedTales from the Borderlands but that has to be their last game ever, right? Finger gun fights? Press x to give pretty girl flower? You can’t just backpedal from that.