Steam Charts: Final Wild Doom Hammer

Phew: we have nine different names in the top ten sellers on Steam last week, rather than the recent trend for various pre-orders and season passes splitting the vote excessively. Question is, has Joe/Jo Public responded as rapturously to DOOM as Ian/Iana Critic has?

1. DOOM

It’s odd to be nodding in furious agreement that a humungo-budget, none-more-mainstream shooter is topping the charts, but man, that’s the way I feel about DOOM (its singleplayer, anyway). It’s a breath of fresh, adrenaline-infused, joyfully ridiculous air in a decade where the staid and formulaic cod-military shooter seemed to have an unbreakable stranglehold. And it’s not just sad retro: it’s thought how to reinterpret Doom 1’s values for a modern age. Double-jump, double-jump, it’s all about the double-jump.

2. Total War: WARHAMMER

These are the past week’s sales, and thus comprise only pre-orders, so clearly anticipation for the Creative Assembly’s Games Workshop adaptation reached fever pitch following a clutch of broadly positive reviews.

3. Stellaris

Paradox are edged out of the top two by mega-brands, but let’s not underestimate the scale of this success: a slow-paced, economically- and diplomatically-focused grand strategy game becoming a huge crossover hit.

4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

A 50% pricedrop and excited previews about the Blood & Wine expansion (which we didn’t get invited to do, in case you were wondering; maybe someone at CDP was as cross as you lot that we said Dark Souls was our favourite RPG) have pushed what might just be Geralt’s swansong back into the top 5. Sale’s still on until the end of the month.

5. ARK: Survival Evolved

A third-off sale (still on for a few hours at the time of writing) and free, Rivendell-esque DLC brought the dinovival game back into the charts for what science tells me is the 914th time this year.

6. FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster

7. Fallout 4 Far Harbor

The latest Fallout 4 DLC is supposed to be the meatiest, with more emphasis on stories and quests than the looting’n’crafting of the last one. Must admit I’m steering clear of it: I feel fairly burned out on Fallout’s relentless death, destruction and kleptomania, and I’ll need something a little more (comparatively) cerebral and pacey to bring me back.

8. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Game + Expansion Pass

The bundle gets discounted along with the base game – 35% off, down to £35 – which gets you the complete Witcher 3 story, including the upcoming Blood & Wine expansion, which is due out 31 May. You can also pick that up solus for 10% off if you buy it before then.

9. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Every time I post one of these stories, someone pipes up to say the reason CSGO is always in the chart even though everyone and their dog already owns it is because naughty players keep getting themselves banned, and so have to buy a new copy of the game. Can that really be true? Sure, there are some unbelievable arseholes out there who will willingly pay anything in order to keep on being total arseholes, but I struggle to believe that it’s in sufficient numbers to breach the top ten week after week.

10. Arma 3

A free weekend, plus a 50% off sale for the duration of that weekend, put BIS’ military sim back into the top 10. Pfft, as though they possibly needed any more money after DayZ’s ongoing reign of freeform terror.

Out of the charts: Dark Souls III, Civ V and various pre-order and/or spec. eds of DOOM and Stellaris.

Charts via PC stalwarts Blues.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. TheRealHankHill says:

Considering that not a day goes by that I play casual without encountering an egregious cheater in CS:GO… One was even openly admitting it and taunting everyone one.

• PseudoKnight says:

That’s what server moderators are for. Obvious cheaters get banned quickly.

• nooqxy says:

Really sorry to disappoint you. There are no admins on standard deathmatch servers because they are hosted by Valve. You can get a wide variety of free and paid cheats which partly haven’t been detected since 2 years and more. And anyway, as long as you only ragehack once per day, overwatch will never get you because that’s how it works.

• PseudoKnight says:

That was my point. So many CS:GO players aren’t using 3rd party dedicated servers, sadly. It’s yet another reason I lost interest in the franchise after regularly playing it for over a decade. I always liked to find a good community.

2. Cinek says:

Quite impressive that Stellaris is still near the top. I clocked 15 hours and feel like I won’t be going back before this game gets 2 large expansions packs. It’s just… shallow game with generic sci-fi themes and some references put here and there. It fails as a 4x, it fails as a Grand Strategy and it fails as an RTS.

• Phinor says:

Unfortunate but I have to agree with everything you said. The game is too shallow and fails to deliver in many ways. Reminds me a bit of Beyond Earth on release. I have no doubt that Stellaris will be much better in two years and it sure looks attractive purchase right now but the further you get into it, the more you realize it’s just not a good game. Almost every aspect of the game needs more “stuff” in it, whether it’s more diplomacy options, things to explore, more interesting combat system, AI that can surprise you. Right now it’s mostly just juggling numbers back and forth without many interesting decisions.

The IGN review really looked like attention seeking for a second there but unfortunately it’s pretty spot on.

• BobbyDylan says:

Agreed. It’s a decent 4X game but it’s pretty poor for a Paradox GSG. I’m sure it’ll be fleshed out in time, till then I just hope HOI:4 is in a better state.

• Carra says:

I’m on my second (ironman) playthrough and it’ll be the last one until they release some expansions. Already got 30 hours from it so can’t complain.

It feels like there was more to do in EU4. Trying to unite Italy or Germany or trying to colonize the US. Or go for the achievements: reform the byzantine empire for example. I feel like these are missing from the game, no real goals to work to.

3. MiniMatt says:

I’ve always been a little wary of the validity of Steam’s top sellers charts. You can sort the “top sellers” alphabetically – link to store.steampowered.com – at which I’m lost as to how it’s even measuring the “top sellers”.

Last official quote I saw to shine any light on what they’re actually measuring was six years ago when they indicated it was rolling 3 hour total revenue. (link to forums.steampowered.com)

Which is all a bit of a roundabout way of saying the Steam charts may be a little bit monkeyed with, a neat side effect being a Valve title permanently stapled to the top ten.

• Phinor says:

There’s a reason Global Offensive is always in the top 10: because it keeps selling month after month. According to Steamspy it’s approaching 22 million copies sold and has sold at least few hundred thousand copies this month alone without any discounts.

• Frank says:

Well, the top sellers list “only” has ~750 games, so it’s alphabetically sorting those when you ask it to. No need for a conspiracy theory.

4. aircool says:

Doom (SP at least) is just so awesome. I’m loving it. It looks fantastic, runs so smooth at such a great framerate and you don’t notice any of the optimisation tricks like you do in many other games.

I really thought XCOM 2 would have been my game of the year; I love it and just played and played and played. But Doom… I’ve fallen in love with single player first person shooters again.

Hell, even playing the original levels is a lot of fun (and much harder).

id have really delivered!

5. Sirius1 says:

“everyone and their dog already owns it”

My dog doesn’t own CS:GO, you insensitive clod!

I guess I’d better grab a copy for him. … Actually, I guess I’d better get a dog first, come to think of it. And tell him not to get banned.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

You want to get CS:GOODBOY for your dog. It’s optimized for their eyesight.

6. Ancient Evil says:

So I take it you’re not a Final Fantasy fan, Alec? Personally, I think it’s great that Square Enix is bringing their longstanding console exclusives to the PC. Even for those who couldn’t personally be less interested, this is the kind of PC platform acknowledgment and genre diversity we should be celebrating.

• ChipDipson says:

This guy’s been PCMasterRace for so long i bet he’s been rolling his eyes at Final Fantasy since 1987. Well, i built my first PC two years ago and threw my Xbox in the garbage the next day, but that doesn’t mean i didn’t put 500 hours into FFX 15 years ago when i was 14 and the only computerized entertainment machine i had was the one my mom would pay for. What i’m saying is, just tell us what the thing is, what position it’s in and give us a blurbling about it, and try not to insult our childhoods in the process. Doom sucks and has always sucked, koff

• Tekrunner says:

“What i’m saying is, just tell us what the thing is, what position it’s in and give us a blurbling about it”

RPS has never worked like that, and probably never will.

kfix says:

When it stops working like that it will no longer be RPS.

#RPSmasterrace

• taylordcraig says:

Agreed. I dumped about 300-500 hours in it back then, and I plan to dump that many again. It’s a great JRPG.

• HarkeN says:

I don’t think it works like that. I’ve been gaming in general since I was about 3 years old, and I’ve had a gaming PC since I was 11. I’ve pretty much always been platform-agnostic (apart from the Sega/Nintendo systems because we only had enough money for 1, and PlayStation was the blatantly superior choice ;p)

That being the case I was playing Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, MechWarrior, Rainbow Six, X-Wing Alliance, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid all within the same timeframe. There are many good games of many good genres on many different platforms. I also disagree that Doom sucked, but with no Y-axis aiming the original is a bit dated.

It sure would be great to know what these guys’ beef with FFX is, though. I’d like to think it’s just because it’s a remaster, but for some reason there’s always been a tremendous bias against Japanese console RPGs in the western-centric PC gaming “journalistic” outfits.

It’s far from the best in its genre, but it’s an excellent game and one I’ve replayed countless times. Not to mention it’s a great sign of things to come. Even if you don’t care for it yourself, more choice is never a bad thing, n-est’ce pas?