Hitman Episode 5 Is Out, Murdering Militia In Colorado

Episode 5 of Hitman [official site] is now upon us, sending Ian Hitman to Colorado. ‘Mother of Rivers’, some call the state, which is a lovely nickname. I’m a bit jealous. But he’s not here to swim in Little Snake River, Green River, the Rio Grande, or even the mighty Colorado – he’s here on neck-snapping business. Episode 5 sends him into a farm compound filled with naughty militia members someone wants whacked. Check it out in the launch trailer:

As the ominous voiceover would suggest, this is getting deeper into the storybits. “There are major revelations set to be revealed,” say publishers Square Enix, “and this episode will set up an intriguing season finale.” That finale will be visiting Japan, we know, and is broadly expected later this year.

The episode’s main story mission, which is named Freedom Fighters, will send Ian after a grand four targets. What a busy boy he’ll be!

Episode 5 also brings new Opportunities, a new suit, new Colorado challenges, new Mastery levels unlocking new weapons and gear, and so on. New Escalation Contracts, Elusive Targets, and all that will hit Colorado over time too.

A new update launched alongside too, with fixes, balance tweaks, and the usual patch business. It’s also resetting the leaderboards, having fixed a bug with the Jaeger 7 Lancer sniper rifle “that in some cases allowed the bullets to pass through level geometry” and let people rack up mega-points. Check the patch notes for details.

We’ve sent Alec to garotte the garrison and return with some thoughts but hey, you can play now and see for yourself.

From this site

1. lglethal says:

Garotte the Garrison? Butcher the Barracks? Carve up the Company? Main the Militia? Destroy the Division? Pierce the Platoon?

;)

caff says:

I had my doubts when I heard of the episodic release structure, but IO have done a good job keeping the content coming and its almost a complete game. Must admit I haven’t completed even the tutorial yet (I am a perfectionist) but I’ll make a solid effort once the whole thing is out there.

3. Syrion says:

Me, January 2016: “Surely this can’t work well, episodes are just a sign of their not being sure of the product. It doesn’t suit the game, anyway. Let’s see how this disaster goes down.”

Me, today: “How exciting it must be to play this game over the course of the year! And it’s looking so diverse. If only I had the time to get into it while it’s still being continued instead of only buying it years after it’s all done. Looks great!”

• DuncUK says:

I was put off buying by the episodic structure for the same reason I wait for all of a Telltale series to be out before buying… I want to be able to binge on the game and I don’t want to get sidetracked by something else before it’s all out. Trying to return to a game having forgotten all the controls, storyline and game mechanics can cause me to bounce off and leave it unfinished.

That said, 5 of the 7 episodes are out now so there’s ever decreasing reasons for me to wait, other than the inevitable discount when it’s all out. I particularly don’t like the thought of missing out on the elusive targets!

• kode says:

Five and two-thirds of the episodes are out. The seventh episode is the two summer “bonus missions” and a forthcoming third such.

4. Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Grumble Grumble how dare RPS report on gaming news, this is an episodic game and surely doesn’t count as news omg.

On a serious note, I have LOVED each episode of this game. As a Hitman game it could conceivably have been better, but not by much. The variety and design in each level has been wonderful, and pretty much everything (except not being able to ‘unofficially’ do the elusive targets after the fact – BOO HISS) has been fun and well put together.

5. Carlos Danger says:

Seriously, a Colorado militia? What is next episode going after the guy in Haverhill, MA who has too many Trump signs on his property? Seriously is a supply side problem for villains for the PC folks.

gritz says:

Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols send their regards.

• poliovaccine says:

Given that this is RPS, maybe you’re not familiar with the American West (yes, Colorado considers itself to be spiritually a part of that West, even if it doesn’t quite make the time zone) – but in any case, yeah, a Colorado militia is frightening in its plausibility. There was recently a bit of to-do when a rancher in Oregon, I think it was, refused to pay some sort of tax he felt was unjust, and when feds came to collect, he and his armed militia of local yahoos actually drove them off with gunfire. This was like, a year ago or less.

It’s not exactly a proud fact and facet of American culture these days, but it is at least plausible, and makes for some slightly more interesting material for the Hitman level, anyway…

…eeeuugh.

• Llewyn says:

It was in January this year. I’m sure there’s plenty of serious commentary on the internet to search for, but I particularly enjoyed (American) comedian Rich Hall’s take on it on the (British) BBC Radio 4 News Quiz: link to youtube.com

• subactuality says:

As a lifelong Colorado resident, I can verify that this concept isn’t the least bit farfetched.

phuzz says:

Sounds legit to me. After all, every yank is a gun-crazed, Trump-lovin’, lunatic right?
      It must be true, I read it on the internet.

• subactuality says:

If for some reason you find it necessary to disagree politically with video game antagonists before you’re able to enjoy yourself, you can always pretend it’s a radicalized apricot co-op or a commune of effete Airsoft enthusiasts.

In all seriousness though, once you get to actually playing the episode you’ll notice pretty much immediately that these gun-toting fellows are largely imports from other places. It really doesn’t follow the ‘crazy rednecks with guns’ trope very much at all.

6. fish99 says:

Episodic content is fine as long as you actually make the third episode.

7. agentldr says: