Plane To See: The World Of Torment: Tides Of Numenera

I ain’t looked too close at Torment: Tides of Nutella [official site], even despite having its alpha installed on my PC, because if I’m gonna do this thing, I want to do it cold and I want to do it complete. But lately I realised that I knew barely a thing about inXile’s spiritual sequel to revered-by-the-sort-of-people-who-revere-cRPGs cRPG Planescape: Torment, and had nothing more than a loose expectation of similarity. Turns out this latest video was something of a solution for me: it focuses on describing and showing off Numenera’s strange new world and weird technologies, as opposed to dwelling specifically on the player’s journey through it.

The main thing this vid tells me is that Torment will be packed with things to look at, using the anything goes so long as it’s at least vaguely spiky visual design ethos of Planescape Torment. I look forwards to nosing around the place and annoying people with my very presence. It seems to my eye to look a little plainer, no tortured pun intended, than Planescape, though. Middle-tier 3D can lack the there-ness of 2D, even if the resolutions are so much higher. PS:T, at least if you hack it into HD, has an illustration quality to it that this does not. Still looks nice, though.

And I’m digging the grab-bag of magic and steamworks obscura in there. It’s coming across as its own, Planescapey thing, rather than the reskinned Wasteland 2 we might have worried it would be.

It’s Due in the early months of 2017. The RPG sequel a whole mess of RPS folk spent over a decade pining for is right around the corner. It’s gonna feel mighty weird.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Someoldguy says:

Looking good. I’ve been avoiding the trailers because I don’t want to be spoiled, but that’s a nice one.

2. shagen454 says:

I love going to the land of light & vibration, beyond time and space.

3. KillahMate says:

I’m not sure how this is pertinent; Tides of Numenera is a 2D game. In fact InXile licensed the Pillars of Infinity tech from Obsidian to use on Torment.

• forgetdeny says:

Er, those are polygons not sprites dude.

• KillahMate says:

The (tiny) characters are 3D models; the backgrounds are almost entirely 2D with some spiffy postprocessing/VFX. 95% of the pixels on a given ToN screen are 2D.

• Scio says:

And if that isn’t enough to make it 2D then neither was Planescape: Torment where the maps were built in 3D and moderately painted-over in the same way! :)

Personally, while both games often exhibit a bit a of plasticky-ness, I don’t mind! Drawing the entire game by hand would’ve been cool, but probably prohibitively expensive.

4. Czrly says:

Is there any reason to “pledge” now? I know, never pre-order, but if someone were to pre-order, not at any of the physical-reward tiers, what would you get that you wouldn’t be able to get after release?

• Someoldguy says:

You’ve missed most of the good reasons to pledge by now. If it’s still possible to get the basic tier you’d presumably get access to the current beta straight away if you can’t wait, but I’m not sure if that is still open. There are options to pledge at the physical reward tiers to get extras you won’t get by other means, but those are more pricy.

5. Emeraude says:

Certainly not looking at any of this (besides youtube wants me to register), but this game really needs to drop soon. One of the very few games I’m still eagerly waiting for.

6. KillahMate says:

Oh, also, for anyone interested in the game and wanting to check out the original: the obligatory Planescape Torment patching/modding guide that I obsessively link to in every discussion even tangentially concerning PST!

link to

Also GOG have a modified, simpler version of the same guide that might be of use if you bought it there, but isn’t updated like the original and the original covers GOG as well anyway:

link to

This will help you easily and cleanly drag the original Planescape Torment into the modern era, including arbitrary resolutions, widescreen, UI mods, ZERO bugs, dialogue corrections, optional restored quest content (not fanfics, but original quests lost due to bugs and budget cuts), optional playability tweaks… This is highly recommended, Planescape was a lot more buggy than people remember. Plus the artwork looks amazing in 1080p. There is no reason you should ever play the game without this!

• vahnn says:

Glad I didn’t have to do it!

Excellent guide to excellently enhance an excellent game. It looks long and scary at first, but it’s really quite simple and only takes 20-30 minutes. Well worth the effort!

• theblazeuk says:

Keep up the good work

• Someoldguy says:

Oh no, I think this is going to force me to replay PST one more time before Numenera ships.

7. Gaudio says:

Looking forward to this
    “Tides of Nutella” got to be a sweet game ;-)

8. Halk says:

As far as I can tell, T:ToN will not have a coop mode, and that kind of kills it for me.

• inspiredhandle says:

I know what you mean. My fave game of this sort back in the day was always ice wind dale specifically for how having a party of six custom characters split between 1-6 players had no effect on the quality of story (even though bg2 was probably better in every way, imoen can fuck off).

Wasn’t the original planescape torment single player only though?

• inspiredhandle says:

Just remembered all the duping of gear through excessive character exports (usually just to get a decent amount of fire arrows for trolls etc.)

Good times

• Halk says:

Yes, PS:T was singleplayer, and that is precisely why I never played it very far. I just don’t have the energy to wade through this kind of high-investment side-tracking-quest-based game on my own…

• inspiredhandle says:

I bounced off of it at first, but returned to it later. It’s well worth it. The world building and characters were top notch. Much more of a linear experience than its contemporaries, at least at the start. Not being able to decide I’m a Mage from the outset was a tough pill to swallow for me.

What about Icewind Dale though? Eh? Eh?

9. inspiredhandle says:

Looks gorgeous. WANT!

Infinity engine (and inspired by derivatives) 4 lyfe!

10. Josh W says:

As far as the art style goes, the thing it most reminds me of is Myst, lots of inexplicable mysteries, magiteck buildings with an emphasise on architectural forms and simple shapes, and a similar sense of pre-rendered 3d in it’s depiction of events.

Of course, myst could never have done that weird room with the floor made of tiny sections, but still there’s a similar vibe.

Comment on this story