The Marvelous & Mysterious RPS Advent Calendar 2016

What’s that, nestling on the wall next to the stockings and the cursed portrait of ageless uncle Ian? Why, it’s the Marvelous & Mysterious RPS Advent Calendar in which the greatest games of 2016 have checked in with the reception and taken up residence in one of the rooms behind the 24 doors on display. Over the coming days, we’ll be unlocking those doors to see who has won a place in our calendar and our hearts.

Note: the calendar is currently allergic to Android devices, we have been informed. Until we can fix this, click here to open the first door, and here for the second. Android users get a special word calendar instead of the traditional picture! How exciting!

We’ve done this many times before, including in 2007 when the calendar was a photo of a fairtrade advent calendar, and then again in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013. In 2014 we did the RPS Bestest Bests which were the exact same only it wasn’t based around a calendar. This was clearly inferior, and so the Horatian calendar returned last year.

Entries aren’t in any particular order and each game has won a special title that is all its own, except the game behind door number 24 which is simply The Best Game Of 2016. That’s not a bad title.

All that’s left to do is crack open the eggnog, bookmark this page where links will be added as we reveal our picks, and join us for excitement and suspense every day from now until the 24th, at which point Horace will once again rise from his not-quite-eternal slumber, a brood-bear laughing and growling at his hindquarters, and eat every single one of you for supper. Hurrah!

From this site

1. Fomorian1988 says:

Oh, joy – there’s a baby Horace.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Horace can have an infinitely long baby, the same way that infinities can be of different size: the number of positive numbers is infinite, but so is the total number of all positive and negative numbers, only larger.

particlese says:

So…math(s) party warning.

You’re on the right track, but from a set theory perspective, those two things (positive and all [real] numbers) actually have the same infiniteness (“cardinality”). However, that infiniteness is greater than the countable infiniteness of the integers (again, positive or all). There are other infinitenessessseses larger than both of those, and an example of that is the set of all subsets of the real numbers. The fermented math(s) in my head somehow had me thinking the complex numbers were another example, but checking told me they’re the same as the reals (at least in some set theories, which I didn’t realize was a concept), so I had to give a more abstract example.

That says nothing, however, about where the baby Horace came from and how long it took to squeeze out…

X_kot says:

RPS, this has been a terrible year in so many ways, so I’m counting on you to end it on a good note. No pressure. :D

• Cleave says:

I think they have you covered, it’s been a bloody great year for games.

• Vandelay says:

The world outside might have been a horrible place this year, but the gaming world has been quite special.

As well as the RPS Advent Calendar, there is also the annual tradition of the RPS Advent Calendar Guessing Game on the forums and it genuinely has been an impossible task to narrow the selection down to a measly 24 games. Getting your list and then realising you missed something, but you are unable to decide what to cut has been an issue for all participants this year.

3. Robert The Rebuilder says:

How can Horace growl at his hindquarters if he is infinitely long?

Also, kudos to the RPS artist for the calendar image!

subdog says:

Just a heads up, but the calendar hotlink wasn’t working for me in Android Chrome. Could you include regular in-line links in the article body?

5. pandiculator says:

I have been looking forward to this for at least a week. Some of the best games-writing comes out of these calendars. Yes!

shoptroll says:

This has been one of my favorite recurring features on the site for years. You’re not the only one who’s been eagerly looking forward to today!

6. April March says:

I miss the Bestest Best list. It was the best. Not the bestest best, of course.

7. TheApologist says:

The calendar is here, it’s Horacemass at last and we can put the infinitely long tinsel up!

8. lje08133ww says:

I quiet my office job and now I am getting paid 126 Dollars hourly. How? I work-over internet! My old work was making me miserable,so I was forced to try-something different. 4 years after. ..I can say my life is changed completely for the better!M#2

Check it out what i do…..http://www.DailyBase11.Tk