Endless Space 2 adds multiplayer, Riftborn faction

In its early access mission to seek out new features and new civilizations, Endless Space 2 [official site] today encountered some corkers. Multiplayer is now in, supporting up to eight players, and a new faction has entered the 4X scrap too. The Riftborn are a lifeform from another dimension forced into ours, packing mighty time-manipulation powers and some ↑ natty threads. Here, meet ’em in this video:

I know, you kids are always yelling “‘flip’ the lore”, so let’s see what the Riftborn actually do. As this trailer for the update explains, they have the power to speed, slow, and even freeze time in systems. Their ships can be crammed full of more modules than other factions too, though they are hyper-specialised and relatively inflexible.

Other changes in update 0.3.2 include new quests, balance tweaks, new minor factions, Large-size galaxies, and other stuff that brings it closer to finished. Hit the patch notes for full details.

We’ve still no firm word on when Endless Space 2 will launch in full. If you want in right now, it’s £26.24/29,99€/$29.99 on Steam. Adam had a go when Endless Space 2 first hit early access last year, having a good time but deciding he’d rather wait until it was finished. That’s a perfectly good option.

From this site

Drib says:

“That’s a perfectly options.”

Am I missing a reference or something, or is this final line just this side of nonsense?

2. Ejia says:

Are the lovey-dovey jellyfish still in ES2? I rather liked them.

3. S-Hellequin says:

I am very much looking forward to this getting its full release; I don’t touch anything in Early Access – due respect to Amplitude, they do seem to do it well – but many cases it’s like pre-ordering, only with a (probably) really buggy shell of a game to try now that may never be finished

• brucethemoose says:

It’s even worse. Early Access spoils the initial excitement you would get from the first playthrough of the full game, reaplacing it with a buggy, incomplete experience.

• Baboonanza says:

I’ve played the early access and I enjoyed it a lot already, though there is clearly a lot of stuff misssing. I think it’s on the way to being absolutely fantastic. Apmlitude have clearly developed a lot since Endlesss Space 1.

• DThor says:

Early access is just about on the preorder tier for me in terms of no-nos now. I used to partake occasionally, but I’d usually just be burnt out by the time it came to actual release. There are *so* many games out there now I don’t understand the mentality, just give your money and time to a dev that has a finished product with good reviews!

4. B2ROM says:

Seeing how is evolving the development of Endless Space 2 makes me realize how bigger is my disappointment in Mass Effect Andromeda. I’m loving the combat, the crafting, the planet roaming, and the multiplayer (verticality is awesome and needs to find its way to every action-RPG). But the writing and the setting of Andromeda is way too much uninspired and unoriginal for me, although it won’t prevent me from doing more shooty-techy-biotics for my next hundred of gaming hours.

I wish those Riftborns could open a one-way rift from Bioware Space in order to bring my Tempest into the Endless Space…

5. Stellar Duck says:

Amplitude had a minor snafu recently which allowed me to pick this one up for seven or eight quid. I’m very happy I was fast that day.

Now I’m just waiting for it to be done.

Comment on this story