Dark Souls 3 now concluded in The Ringed City

Dark Souls has now concluded. Dark Souls 3 [official site] today launched its second expansion, The Ringed City. Barring a secret change of heart from the developers, this is the final expansion for the final Dark Souls game. The Ringed City delves into a lost city at the crumpled edges of the world to find… ah, you don’t want me to tell you.

Look, I’m already riled that my job has required me to see a lot more of The Ringed City than I’d have liked — no going in fresh for me! — so I’m going to dunk these deets and trickshot this trailer and we’ll be out of here in a few minutes. Why must you rob me of all mystery?

“This new adventure has players chasing after the Slave Knight Gael to the ends of the world as he searches for the Dark Soul of Humanity.

“At the close of the Age of Fire, as the world ends and all lands converge upon themselves, a lone adventurer descends into the madness of the earth and uncovers the secrets of the past. Players will make their way to the fabled Ringed City where they will encounter ancient beasts, a new cast of characters teetering on the edge of insanity, new armor, weapons, magic, and at the bottom of it all, a long lost city filled with new horrors for players to overcome.”

The Ringed City costs £11.99/14,99€/$14.99 on Steam by itself. Or it’s £19.99/24,99€/$24.99 for the Season Pass which also contains the kinda tired Ashes of Ariandel expansion.

Don’t watch this trailer, as it shows bosses and things better left surprises. Yes, I had to watch this to find that out. The sacrifices I make for you!

From this site

1. int says:

That guy in the screenshot needs a bigger shield. What is that puny buckler he’s got anyway?

• eljueta says:

The Parrying Door I think it’s called

• Seafoam says:

Hehe, the shields have been a touchy point in Souls series.
      The reason why so many consider Bloodborne’s combat to be much superior to dark souls, is because Miyazaki made the creative decision to remove the shields altogether.

There is a shield within the game though, but its completely useless and its description says that it “promotes passivity”. Obvious jab at the glaring problems Dark Soul’s combat has.

I think this shield must be another jab by the developers. It’s real nice that they got a sense of self deprecating humor in them.

• fahdiz says:

What’s funny is that the shield in question is actually quite useful vs. arcane, and also vs. gun spammers in PVP.

2. eljueta says:

Yeeeeeees this is gonna be my week :D

• geisler says:

Week? Sorry to break it to you, but most DS expansions are only a couple of hours worth of playtime and this one’s no exception, just finished it this morning. That said, it’s short, but very good.

• Kingseeker Camargo says:

I guess this would be a rare occasion in which it sucks having so much free time. In my case, Ariandel took like 5 days to beat the first time. I didn’t even notice it was that short until I played a second time (and of course read all the whining online).

• geisler says:

Honestly i don’t have much free time, gaming is my only hobby but i have a very intensive work schedule (and a family on top of that). However, when there is a release that i’m looking forward to, i simply make sure i have the time, as i believe gaming is best done in bursts of at least one or two hours. That’s not having the luxury of heaps of free time, it’s simply taking the few hours you have and focusing on your hobby.

I don’t think it’s hyperbolic to call these “expansions” or DLCs (too) short regardless of how much time you have, but since they are of good quality, their price tag is justifiable and worthy of a day 1 purchase to me. I’d rather play a 2 hour expansion with quality content than a 20 hour MMO-inspired grindfest.

• popej says:

2 hours?

I’m not sure I’d use the bar you’ve set as a particularly accurate assessment of the DLC’s length for the typical DS player.

• geisler says:

You’re right, but i’m assuming people buying DLC of a Fromsoft game to at least be veterans to the specific game they’re buying the DLC for.

If you look at a certain site that aggregates polled playtimes (not sure if i’m allowed to mention or link here), you’ll see that the median playtime for most Soulsborne DLCs is about 3 to 4 hours. So yes, 2 hours might be shorter than average, but i don’t think 4 hours of average playtime makes these DLCs worthy of being called anything other than short.

• Vandelay says:

Yeah, this just makes me realise how crap I still am at Dark Souls. I started playing the last bit of DLC a little over a week ago and haven’t finished it. I haven’t played it for massive amounts of time but I am certain I am somewhere between 4 and 5 hours with it.

It may not be very long, but I have always found the DLC to be a massive difficulty spike compared to the main games. Perhaps this isn’t the case if you are playing it with a NG+ character (I was playing it with a new character that got to about level 30 before entering the DLC. Got her to level 50 something now and still struggling against the bosses.)

• fish99 says:

Even a Souls veteran would not get through any of the DLCs in 2 hours. Not if you fully explore and aim to kill the bosses on your own rather than summoning. It also depends on your build, since some are significantly easier, and your level and gear.

The shortest DLC was Ashes of Ariandel and I know good players who were stuck on the last boss for 5+ hrs.

• geisler says:

You realize there were people able to finish the entire game in less than 5 hours without summoning right? This was at launch (you can find blind playthroughs like that on YT, just look at the upload date). My 2 hours for just a short DLC don’t seem all that boasty now do they? It’s probably unthinkable for some people that someone can be good at these games.

All i wanted to do is make clear that these DLCs are fairly short and that it shouldn’t take most people an entire week to get through them. But i guess i just lied for the incredible satisfaction of internet brownie points, oh joy.

• fish99 says:

Go read your initial post. You weren’t talking about long it took you, but how many hours of content the DLC had. If you beat it that quick, you rushed through and missed a bunch of stuff, and you were over leveled or playing an easy build.

People can beat Skyrim in 45 minutes, does that make it a 45 minute game?

Drib says:

I mean, unless he’s starting the game fresh or something. Which I would have to do as well, since I doubt I’d remember what I was doing otherwise.

• GameCat says:

Pfff, there’s enough cool weapons in DLC alone to justify making at least 5 new builds to play with them.

That’s the beauty of Dark Souls.

• vahnn says:

The new weapons, armors, spells, and the changes from the patch and new levels will add enough spice to the pvp to keep me going for another 500 hours. And consider that I wasn’t planning on being done with the game even before all the goodies announced in the dlc.

Despite what anyone says, the pvp in this game is fantastic. For Honor stole my heart for about 60 hours, but I returned to DS3 for some pvp and don’t know why I ever left.

Thulsa Hex says:

Still haven’t picked up DS III, but I’m immensely looking forward to it. Hoping for a Prepare to Die/Scholar of the First Sin-type o’ edition, soon!

• Morcane says:

You’re lucky – there’s a DS3: Fire Fades GOTY edition coming out in April.

I’ve played DS3 for a bit, but burned out on it rather quickly. I’m kind of done with punishing games.

Thulsa Hex says:

Ah, cheers for that. Hadn’t seen anything mentioned about it yet.

• jj2112 says:

Yup, same here. I finished the first one with all the expansions and loved it, finished the second one and I didn’t bother with the expansions. As for the third, I just feel tired when I think I have to play through a game which is essentially the same again. And I hope the DLC is easier to find this time, I get that it rewards exploration but not finding something you paid for (without using a walkthrough) is frustrating.

4. Kingseeker Camargo says:

This time I decided to take Otzdarva’s advice to heart, and I have to say I’m pretty proud of myself, since I managed to come into the DLC knowing absolutely nothing about it (other than what’s hinted in that brief snippet and the first trailer, which I kinda forgot already anyway). I played for like 20 minutes last night and already had one heart-stopping surprise and a handful of delightful WTF!?! moments.

Definitely, trailers suck most of the fun of things.

• DarkFenix says:

I heartily agree. I kept myself away from DLC spoilers completely bar the first teaser and was (un)pleasantly surprised by quite a few of the wandering gribblies. The last boss alone had me “oh you’ve got to be fucking kidding me” at least three times.

5. CAMN says:

“the final expansion for the final Dark Souls game.”

Wait, so they are NOT going to make any more Dark Souls games? Why? Are they tired of making them or are they losing the license or something like that?

Never really liked this type of game, but from what I’ve seen, there is a big enough market for them. Why stop making them?

• GameCat says:

Obviously Myiazaki and his gang doesn’t want to chug out Dark Souls games forever. But since Bamco owns the IP there’s always a chance of non-FROM Souls games…

• BaronKreight says:

That’s right. No more souls games. They want to try something new and that’s a good thing. Instead of regurgitating the same stuff over and over again like some large western studios do, they want to create new titles.

• ButteringSundays says:

“Instead of regurgitating the same stuff over and over again like some large western studios do”

Eh? Because no large Eastern studios maintain franchises? Did you just wake up? Are we in opposite land?

• BobisOnlyBob says:

Dark Souls *specifically* is over. Soulsborne – that is, the grouping of the five games including Demon’s Souls and Bloodborne – is likely not over, FROM will continue to make games in a similar mould. After all, Soulsborne is just an evolution of their older King’s Field and Shadow Tower franchises. In short – Souls is dead, long live Souls!

And even in the event another Dark Souls-branded game is forced out by Bamco, it’ll be like Metal Gear without Kojima – not the genuine article. Personally I’m hoping Hidetaka Miyazaki makes something sci-fi, but infused with that Soulsborne brilliance.

• horsemama1956 says:

The concern is only Dark Souls is multiplat, with Demons and BloodBorne being PS exclusive. Atleast when a Dark Souls is announced all fans have something to look forward too, but who knows what will happen now.