Far Cry 5 trailer reveals doomsday cult, planes, bears & 2018 release date

Far Cry 5’s [official site] first full-length trailer is heavy on the plot, showing a cult that will bring people into its fold “by force if necessary” and all the grimness that entails, but it’s also packed full of colourful car-chases, wide open countryside, and there’s a bit where a man is being chased by a bear. Oh, and planes. There will be planes. The game will be out February 27th 2018 and you can see the trailer below.

You’ll play as the new junior deputy of Hope County, a fictional slice of Montana, and the game begins at the point when the doomsday cult (‘the Project at Eden’s Gate’) turn from quiet infiltration to violent takeover. Hope County is cut off from the rest of the world and under siege, and you’ll organise a resistance against Eden’s Gate, using planes to engage in dogfights, tracking down cult members and fighting on foot and in vehicles across “farmland, forests, mountains and rivers”.

For the first time in the series, you’ll create your character rather than using a built-in model, and the entire campaign can be played in co-op.

Ubi promise “iconic American muscle cars, big rigs, ATVs and boats” as well as the series-first planes.

I’m most excited about the Guns for Hire and Fangs for Hire. The former are human recruits to help in the fight and the latter are “specialised animals like bears and cougars”. I will form the mighty ursine resistance.

Here’s the official word from Ubisoft on that last part, as well as news of a map editor:

To take down the cult, players will need to utilise any and all weapons at their disposal, including ranged weapons such as guns and grenades and melee weapons like a sledgehammer or baseball bat. Additionally, players can recruit Guns for Hire from a large cast of characters, or even Fangs for Hire, specialised animals like bears and cougars to complement players’ playstyles whether they’re going in stealthily or forcefully. How players approach each situation and the chaos they create in Far Cry 5 is up to them. Far Cry 5 will also see the return of the map editor, giving players the opportunity to create and play an infinite amount of new playgrounds. The map editor will include new features that add a new dimension to the content created by fans, with more details coming soon.

And here’s some of that in video form:

It all sounds very Far Cry, which is no bad thing in my book, but I’ll be interested to see how the setting is used. Big Sky Country is looking gorgeous in that trailer, but I’m in the camp that reckons less story makes for more fun when it comes to Far Cry, and the cult already seem like a Big Presence. Give me bears chasing muscle cars; I want hijinks, not high concept storytelling or commentary.

If you are interested in the characters in Hope Country, you can learn a little more about them here.

Gotta say, I’m liking some of the music in these videos if nothing else. Once it kicks in, I mean. Not the melancholy stuff.

1. GallonOfAlan says:

Same story as the previous two it would seem but at least the setting is interesting. I bet I’ll be climbing plenty of those windmills and water towers. LOL’d at the quick glimpse of the bear chasing the guy.

• poliovaccine says:

Agreed, the setting is at least interesting. Gotta say, as an American myself, for all of the FC series’ tradition of trying to chuck the player into hostile, alien environments they’d never want to be stranded, deep country like Montana is easily the fucking scariest.

2. criskywalker says:

Far-Cry is at its best when the simulation part goes crazy, like animals attack enemies.

This seems like more of the same, which isn’t a completely bad thing. Hopefully they tone down the icon hunting this time.

3. Banks says:

Far Cry 5: get off my yawn.

*Yawns*

4. dontnormally says:

I would so much prefer a non-gimped helicopter in an open game. Why do they always gimp the helicopter? GTAV and FC4 are both great examples.

• KenTWOu says:

Far Cry 4 was a cross gen title, that’s why its engine wasn’t be able to stream open world environments with the speed necessary for non-gimped helicopters.

5. kwyjibo says:

Montana just voted into office a Congressman who assaulted a journalist for having the temerity to ask about healthcare policy.

He’s a man that does not believe in retirement because Noah built the Ark aged 600.

Montana deserves your derision.

• skyturnedred says:

Y’all using them fancy words makes me glad I got a dictionary extension.

• apa says:

Far Cry: F* Yeah ‘Murica!

Rifles and bibles, this might be quite authentic!

• Blue Suede Moose says:

Yes, 50.2% of voters voted for the body slammer in question. So let’s not paint with too broad a brush here. As a Montanan who has voted against Gianforte twice, I know a lot of people who are deeply disappointed in the election results.

That being said, sadly, there’s more than some truth to the stereotypes in play here. I’m definitely interested to see how this plays out.

• poliovaccine says:

Don’t worry, we know you’re out there. Montana’s a huge absentee voting state and apparently a good number of people called into their Sec. of State’s office to try and change their ballot after the story came out on the news – which they couldn’t, of course. So like a third or something of the state had already voted. But the unacceptable thing is that physically attacking the guy wasn’t an automatic disqualifier, and that, for his status, he didn’t get hauled off to jail that night for assault and have to either bail himself out or await trial in lockup, like any other citizen who decked a guy so badly… on tape no less. The problem isn’t really Gianforte, the problem is that folks like him are an acceptable element of our political system right now. Red or blue or whatever, the sane of us want leaders with at least the self-control and foresight to commit their assaults via hired proxies, and politely off camera. Only half kidding.

• hey_tc says:

Most people had already voted by the time the slam happened, so it didn’t exactly inform the election. Besides, just because someone votes differently to you does not mean you should treat them derisively.

• Yglorba says:

But they’re not criticizing people just for voting differently from them – that would only be true of the candidates were identical. They’re criticizing them because the specific candidate that slightly more than 50% of the state voted for was awful.

That’s an entirely legitimate thing to criticize people for.

6. RedViv says:

This is at weird meeting point between FC2, FC3 and Primal, where I *actually* am interested.

Fighting white supremacists with boofer friends? Yes please.

• onodera says:

What makes you think they are white supremacists? Anyway, Montana is 90% white, and rural Montana is probably 99% white if you exclude the reservations. This preacher guy is probably the only person of African descent in the whole county.

Come to think of it, this cult technically hates 100% of African-Americans they know.

• RedViv says:

Juuuuuust a hunch, given they replaced the stars in the banner with Iron Crosses.
        I mean, they COULD just be massively into Germany in general as an extremist Christian cult in Montana. Always a possibility.

• Eightball says:

Not a whole lot of 8-pointed Iron Crosses mate. Are you sure you’re an expert on this?

• clockworkrat says:

Come on pal, that’s like doubting if the Norsefire iconography in V for Vendetta was supposed to resemble fascist iconography.

• RedViv says:

Not an expert, merely a person who grew up partially in Germany.
            That was a bit too boiled down, I have to admit. It seems to be a play on the Church Of Tom Cruise’s cross as well. But really, do we expect extremist Christians from Montana in a computer game to stand up for racial tolerance now?

• Smion says:

I don’t know, I mean christian iconography kind of has a thing for lots of different crosses in the first place. Alongside the fact that they’re basically straight up called Heaven’s Gate, I think Ubisoft’ll lean more into the weird cult side of things than draw more clear parallels to the revival (or reinvigoration) of reactionary racial politics in the current US in order to avoid stepping on anyone’s toes.

• poliovaccine says:

That brings up a point I don’t really know anything about – when do they formulate the concepts relative to release dates? Is that all part of the states “development cycle,” or is there like a separate department of writers who supply the developers with their stuff to work from after it’s done? Also, how long has this game in particular been in development? I’d be interested to know at what point it was that Ubi realized an idea like this was staged to work.

Um, asking in general, not just person I replied to. That was short sighted in retrospect.

phuzz says:

I’m guessing they are going to be white supremacists, because that’s basically the same as saying they’re nazis, and you’re allowed to shoot nazis without feeling bad (and in the game).

On the other hand, I can see Ubisoft playing down the religious side of things because apparently not all religious people are dangerous cultists.

• zerosociety says:

There are PoC cult members seen in the trailer. (Specifically at the baptism.)

Basically, the cult looks like a sanitized mix of Christian Identity Movement/White Nationalist/eschatology cult tropes. So they look like white supremacists, but they have African American members. They talk like any number of Christian cults, but there’s a Pastor resistance leader to remind the audience they’re not Christian.

Frankly, I’m absolutely down for it. Especially if the alleged AI-changing-its-response-based-on-your-tactics thing they discuss on the website is any good at all. Which remains to be seen. Given Ubi’s track record for hyperbolic claims… I mean the Division had adaptive AI once upon a time, didn’t it?

• MultiVaC says:

We’re at a really bizarre point in politics where it’s probably less controversial to have them NOT be white supremacists. It avoids the antagonists too closely resembling an actual political movement from the real world. This way they can say that it’s not a game about shooting stand-ins for far right nationalists because, hey, they aren’t overtly racist. It’s a clearly fictional group.

• modzero says:

You know, maybe white supremacist are different, but the antisemites that spawn in my corner of the world don’t really have an issue with a lack of actual semites to anti. They just decided everyone in the TV is a Jew.

Oh, wait, actually, those went white supremacist as well in recent years, regardless of the actual people of colour, also by moving the goalpost — now the people of colour are a threat even if they live somewhere else but might want to come here, if they ever hear about us in the first place anyway.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

I don’t think so. They’ll be completely apolitical as such companies are. Not to scare off some consumers…
      It will be some evil cult with no connection to any cult of today possibly inspired by some historic incidents.

7. Hmm-Hmm. says:

The game will be out February 27th 2018

Really, Adam? You do know this is Ubisoft you’re talking about.

8. Halk says:

“the entire campaign can be played in co-op.”

Hell yes. No more “forts only” crap.

9. onodera says:

When I saw that yellow bush plane I expected the return of the batshit crazy CIA guy from 3 and 4. Willis?

I guess the CIA doesn’t really operate within the US, debriefing and recruitment aside.

10. MrDuvel says:

I only know this game needs some Nick Cave songs and 16 Horsepower Black Soul Choir to be playing in the trucks as you drive around.

11. davethejuggler says:

You know what, having not played an ubi style open world game since FC3 or maybe Black Flag (whichever came later) I’m actually totally up for this. I like the setting too. Rural america has a strange beauty to it with those massive open skies and solitude. Also it reminds me a bit of Justified which is the best tv show ever!

12. Kong says:

Far Cry 4 I did not play for long. But this seems to be a journey into the true heart of darkness. Eye to eye with iconic American insanity. Yipee ki-yay

13. Tannhauser says:

Looks close enough that I can pretend while playing it that it’s a video game where the enemies are the people actively destroying America today: Republican voters.

I’m serious, my healthcare is gone at the end of the year since the company that offers it is pulling out of my state completely. The job I was receiving a degree for in the federal government no longer exists, because anti-government and anti-science know-nothings have eliminated it. And I get to read horrible stories every day about how the Justice Department reached a sweetheart deal with a bank that literally laundered billions of drug cartel money, with no prosecutions, while setting standards to seek the harshest prison penalties for drug users.

So I will get a vicarious thrill imagining this game is targeting the people literally destroying my life and my country.

• Carlos Danger says:

LOL you sound like the Russian Deadpool. Need to keep this comment for evidence when you finally snap. Can’t say we didn’t see it coming.

• GunnerMcCaffrey says:

Only insane cartoon characters and/or Russians have strong feelings about the political fabric of their society being torn apart.

• Kong says:

Get Me Roger Stone is certainly Russian financed documentary.
        No way someone like Stone even exists

• briangw says:

Yeah, because the Dems didn’t already destroy healthcare as it was…or at least what they did with co-pays, premiums and whatever else that got screwed over in the process. Maybe you did ok but most of my family is getting screwed over because of Obamacare. And I’m sorry you’re losing your job. I was downsized out of the military by Clinton and lost a couple of jobs under Obama, although, I don’t 100% fault him for that.

What really would have been better is if the Govt. just left well enough alone and didn’t originally create a bill that had more holes in it than swiss cheese. After reading about 20 pages into it that original plan, it was apparent they literally rushed into it and cared little about really spending their time researching what this could do to people.

• mrjbarron says:

I’m sorry you’re upset that you will no longer be able to make a chushy living on the backs of American taxpayers. I’m also sorry to inform you that the demise of your free health care was due to liberal Democrats running it into the ground in the first place.

teije says:

Hmm. You don’t sound very sorry.

• Harlequin says:

I’m sorry that you’re the sort of person who thinks it’s fine to be ironic toward someone who’s just told you they won’t have access to healthcare or employment.

America, the only first-world country where living is a privilege, not a right (and before anyone thinks of using this to agree while defending warhawks Obama and Clinton, I’m fond of neither – it’s just pretty easy to like someone more than Trump).

• Eightball says:

Why not hit the gym and learn how to use firearms instead of retreating into escapist fantasy?

• mrjbarron says:

He’s a liberal Democrat, so the 2nd Amendment is a no-no

• Eightball says:

Probably also a correlation between right wing views and testosterone, but I didn’t feel like rubbing it in.

MajorLag says:

You mean feelings of inadequacy leading to irrational overblown expressions of stereotypical manliness?

14. ravenshrike says:

So… how is Hope County cut off so far from the world that ham radio can’t contact anyone again? That doesn’t even consider things like satellite phones, which unless they’re going for less than 1000 people in the county somebody would have. That doesn’t consider that in the SUMMER it would take someone all of 5 days to hike across the county line, even avoiding patrols, to go get help.

• Zenicetus says:

I predict the game area will be “cut off” due to something else happening in the rest of the country, drawing off all the available local and Federal law enforcement that would otherwise intervene. Major terrorist attacks, plague, earthquakes, zombies.

• ravenshrike says:

So hooks for more interesting games that one could be playing then.

Not to mention that any emergency large enough to actually cause that sort of thing would mean the rest of the world is fucked from economic turmoil if nothing else as well. Which, again, a more interesting game. I mean, if they had gone for a straight Scientology rip off holing themselves off in a closed valley and you as the protagonist crash landing there I might have believed it. But given the number of enemies you kill in the average FC game, there’s no way a standard doomsday cult in the middle of fucking nowhere Montana is going to have the manpower needed to make the game take longer than a half hour.

• modzero says:

Between certain themes from previous Far Cry games, and where the world is heading right now, I predict that the reason is “the government is actually quite fine with it, but denies providing the doomsday cult with weapons. You can buy them in grocery stores, and in contrast to Ukraine, in the US that actually sounds plausible.”

15. SaintAn says:

Hope Ubi gets taken over soon. Maybe then they can make some good games again. I mean, they’ve made some great games people want more of and they don’t bother with that and instead just keep putting out crap. I love Far Cry, but this is a terrible setting and plot.

• April March says:

Hoping that Ubi will make better games after it goes through a hostile takeover is like having an unreliable junker of a car and hoping that it’ll run better now that you’ve shat in the fuel tank.

16. Unsheep says:

That looks bumturd boring.

• Chaoslord AJ says:

Then add the uninspired repetetive gameplay of climbing towers then beelining map icons for the useless collectables. Occasionally do a story mission to further some forgetable plot.

17. Rumpelstiltskin says:

it’s so lame that they bleeped the f-words

• Dances to Podcasts says:

The what-now?

• Rumpelstiltskin says:

I mean in the character trailers. I hope they leave it in the game. I’m secretly hoping for the n-word as well, but I know that’s not going to happen.

18. something says:

They should just turn the Far Cry series into straight up comedy. The broad characters and bizarre situations are a perfect fit. I mean, it only needs to be funnier than GTA.

• April March says:

I was about to agree, but then I remembered Blood Dragon, which had some good jokes but forgot it was supposed to be funny around the midpoint.

Still, the self-healing animation with the hand exercizer is bloody genius.

• Werthead says:

The problem here is that Far Cry has been out Far Cried by Just Cause, which is now far more Far Crier than the Far Criest Far Cry that has ever Far Cried.

This game looks like they have decided to take a different road that remains Far Cry-ey whilst avoiding some of the stuff that Just Cause just did better. Because.

19. mrjbarron says:

I’m from Montana, and I live only a few miles from the city where the politician body slammed the reporter the night before the special congressional election. From my experience living in Big Sky Country for the last 18 years, I’d have to say that the announcement trailer for FC 5 looks like a true life story for these parts.

20. wombat191 says:

im gleefully looking forward to this and that disturbs me.. ive never been gleeful about an ubisoft game before.. please be good

21. Gordon Shock says:

The way they present this game I have SERIOUS doubts about how it could fill up an entire 20+ hour game. i mean how many villages can this county have and how many churches you will need to climb until the whole map is unlocked.

That is of course, unless they stretch the sauce so much that it becomes totally listless.

• Zenicetus says:

Well, that’s one thing the choice of evangelical/apocalyptic religion has in its favor for the maps. In the USA hinterlands there are little churches everywhere — “splitters” from the main faith and completely self-contained within their local community.

All the storyline needs to do is tie them together under a main sect that’s been taking them over, and you’d have a church in every small town to attack, liberate, and make a friendly base.

Seyda Neen says:

Which one is the “main faith”?

• Gordon Shock says:

And you think that Ubisoft will go or have the audacity of using something that sophisticated?

22. Ham Solo says:

Just no…
    they managed a decent “stone age” one, they could do so many different places during interesting time periods, but this? Nah, thanks.

– Pre WW1 europe with the anarchists, nationalists and communists goin’ at it.
    – “Viking era” with raids on english and french villages
    Anything.

• Kaeoschassis says:

While I sympathise, I feel you’re missing a very important basic point – this is finally our chance to describe a game as “skyrim with guns, without guns, with guns”.

23. Harlequin says:

Apparently there are right-wing conservatives complaining the game is about “White Genocide”, which is about as credible as someone from the USA complaining about Mexican imperialism.

24. PiiSmith says:

So we will be climbing towers and revealing the map of Montana this time?