Podcast: The Electronic Wireless Show talk Sun Dogs, Black Crown and rubbish merchandise

Pod dogs

What’s that faint light? It’s the glare of the RPS podcast, the Electronic Wireless Show, crashing through the atmosphere of the internet like an unstoppable comet capable of both massive destruction and enlightened conversation. This week, we’ve all been playing transhumanist adventure game Sun Dogs, which sees us romping through the solar system, necking drinks made out of germs and being killed over and over and over again by extraterrestrial forces beyond even our own post-human ken. It’s quite a pleasant trip.

But we’re also talking about “merchandise” and why it is often so rubbish. Pip will warm your heart with tales of a contraband dagger, and Adam will soothe you with a story about blood. There is much to learn.

You can listen above, or go straight to Soundcloud where you can download it for later.

You can also get the RSS feed here or find it on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. The jolly old music is by Jack de Quidt.

Want to write in with questions for a future episode? Now you can, to podcast@rockpapershotgun.com.

Links:

Sun Dogs: A transhumanist open world text adventure

Sun Dogs’ expanding (and contracting) solar system

Word games: Failbetter’s Black Crown

The creator of Black Crown writes about the game

1. Zorgulon says:

I’m certainly in agreement over those dreadful Funko Pop things.

“Remember these wonderful, vibrant, distinctive characters of diverse games, films and media?” they seem to ask. “Allow us to make them all look exactly the same!”

2. Snowskeeper says:

Can’t listen right now, and likely won’t be able to for hours yet, but holy crap; I remember Black Crown. It gave me nightmares for weeks after the fact.

3. Mouse_of_Dunwall says:

I don’t have time to listen right now, but I’m looking forward to it.

On the topic of game merchandise, I wish there were more action figures based on games I like. I’ve wanted some Dishonored figures for a long time.

4. Vandelay says:

I couldn’t really think of any merch that I own from games. Closest I guess would be the Dark Souls board game, which, as I’ve yet to actually play the thing properly, is just a collection of very beautiful models.

I have zero interest in that kind of clutter, to be honest, much like Brendan. I could imagine some nice art work from games hung on the wall could be cool, but the statues and other bits just look like tat to me.

5. Seyda Neen says:

I’m not into figurines much, but used to have maps of Elder Scrolls III-Online up on my wall, now I’ve got two framed nerdy Dishonored posters hanging up.

6. goodpoints says:

I’m behind on listening to these, but another great episode. Was there some mistake made about Black Crown though? I was not able to find a working link on either Sherman’s site or failbetter’s. A bit disappointed, I hadn’t heard of it before and Adam’s description really intrigued me. (you had me at the comparison to Der Process)