Video: Beware is Silent Hill meets Mad Max

beware preview

Driving is not relaxing for me. I failed my driving test nine times before passing, so statistically-speaking, only one in ten driving instructors think I should be out on the roads. I don’t like those odds, and I imagine pedestrians don’t either. When you’ve failed your driving test so prolifically the basic idea of sitting behind the wheel is scary enough without a car of ambiguous meat monsters trying to ram you off the road. But here I am, playing Beware, a survival horror game set inside a single vehicle.

Confession time: I played the demo a few times before making this video in order to get the fear out of my system. I’m easily scared – I didn’t even get to the alien in Alien: Isolation – and didn’t feel like shrieking on YouTube. (Although I am aware that’s the secret to making a million pounds from video.) That said, Beware isn’t as freaky as I feared. The car engine sound is too budget for starters, puncturing the tension with its generic sound library snarl. And the bluntness of the game over screen is too sudden; you get the impression of the camera pulling away before the upsetting parts begin.

More problematic is the general sense of safety that comes from being inside a car. Even though I don’t like the driving itself, there is something reassuring about being in a metal shell; a sense of protection that the game is yet to break down. Yes, your stomach flips as headlights fill the rear-view mirror, but once the chase kicks in it becomes any fast moving car adventure. I wonder if it might be more interesting to tempt you out of the car along the way? Have you make panicked dashes to grab fuel or unlock gates. Of course, this is a demo of a game in development; I imagine more is to come.

You can download the demo for yourself, of course. If you manage to track the little old lady in the woods do tell me in the comments what happens. I get stuck in the mud every time I try (nine times, etc). And if you enjoyed this video, please do think about subscribing to the RPS YouTube channel. We cover everything from terrible house decorations to dung beetle pinball.

1. Fitzmogwai says:

Some words of wisdom from way back in ’76 that still hold true today: Never get out of the car.

2. milligna says:

How is it possible to fail a driving test 9 times in a row? I’m going to need some more detail on that story.

• simon.taverner says:

It’s really not all that interesting: he’s been blind since birth. What’s amazing is that he passed it the 10th time! The Force is strong with this one!

• Fitzmogwai says:

I’d have been more impressed if the nine times *hadn’t* been in a row… e.g. passed on the fifth attempt, then took it four more times subsequently because why not.

• Matthew Castle says:

Accumulating nerves and a dash of bad luck.

3. Henke says:

Tried the demo. Very rough around the edges indeed! No analogue (gamepad) controls, only keyboard. It looks great though.

Tip: only click “Play” once in the menu, although it doesn’t seem to do anything, it is IS loading, and if you click it several times the game will get caught in some weird loop where it loads the level over and over.

XJ220 says:

You may also want to try going back to the trailer park with the Lada chasing you, then racing past the blue-lit facility again for some international flair.

5. Zorzo says:

So, I followed the person in the woods and they led me to a strange house in the middle of nowhere. The house was a strange triangular structure and it had a bright glowing greenhouse next to it. I circled the car around and found that it has a small track leading upto the house that is lit by spotlights in the trees. As I approached from the roadside an old man emerged from the house and began to walk slowly toward the car. As he got nearer I noticed that he was carrying a large painting. He walked all the way to the car and held up the painting whilst quivering. The painting shows the old man stood with his arm around the figure I followed through the woods. They seem to be pointing to a large metal box, that looks like some kind of power switch.

Here I’m stumped, as the map in the demo is very large and despite a lot of exploration, I have no idea where this strange metal device might be located.

Comment on this story