Want to play through Cyberpunk 2077 in third person? Thanks to the wonderful thing that is modding, you can make that happen. CD Projekt Red's dizzyingly ambitious open-world RPG is one of the most immersive games out there, thanks in no small part to how it confines you to first-person view throughout the entire game. But for those who prefer to see things from a different perspective, there are ways that you can do just that.
Below we'll walk you through exactly how you can start playing Cyberpunk 2077 in third person perspective by downloading a couple of key mods created by the community. Follow these steps and you'll be staring at V's back in no time.
How to play Cyberpunk 2077 in third person mode
Cyberpunk 2077 is a first-person game. By default, third-person view only occurs while driving a vehicle, or in very specific and rare moments of the story. So if you want to play Cyberpunk 2077 in TPP (third person perspective), you'll need to turn towards mods.
To play Cyberpunk 2077 in third person, you need to download and install the JB - Third Person mod on NexusMods. Created by Jelle Bakker, this mod moves the camera to behind V's back so that you can play through the entire game in third-person.
This mod requires you to first download and install Cyber Engine Tweaks, another mod which is a required download for many of the Cyberpunk 2077 mods hosted on NexusMods. Here are the full instructions:
- Download Cyber Engine Tweaks from GitHub (click the .zip file under the Assets of the latest version).
- Locate your Cyberpunk 2077 folder in Windows Explorer (its location depends on the platform on which you installed the game).
- Extract the contents of the Cyber Engine Tweaks zip (a bin folder) directly into your Cyberpunk 2077 folder.
- Download JB - Third Person mod from NexusMods.
- Extract the contents of the JB - Third Person mod directly into your Cyberpunk 2077 folder.
- Launch Cyberpunk 2077 and follow the on-screen prompt to assign a keybind for enabling the Cyber Engine Tweaks overlay.
- Use this keybind to open the Cyber Engine Tweaks overlay, then navigate to the Hotkeys tab and map the hotkeys you desire in order to make use of the TPP mod.
Now when you hop into your latest game, you should find that you can view the world (and your character) in full third-person perspective!
It isn't a perfect implementation of third person, because Cyberpunk 2077 was built for first person perspective, and a lot of animations may seem broken or janky in some way. But for those who want a more zoomed out view of Night City, it doesn't get much better than this (outside of Photo Mode).
Now that your questions regarding third-person mode have hopefully been answered, perhaps it's time to cast your eyes over our other Cyberpunk guides? Take a look at our best Cyberpunk 2077 builds to help carve a path of destruction through Night City, or our Cyberpunk 2077 romance options to carve a similar path of destruction through the hearts of Night City's inhabitants. You can also check out our primer on how to make money fast in Cyberpunk 2077. And for everything else, check out our Cyberpunk 2077 walkthrough hub.