Katana Na Na: Shogun 2 Assassination Trailer

By Quintin Smith on October 6th, 2010 at 2:05 pm.

NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA

Gamers go crazy-mental-biscuits for those little assassination FMV videos from Shogun: Total War. I know it, you know it, and The Creative Assembly know it, hence the mass of attention those same video shorts (not to mention the agent units themselves) are receiving in Shogun 2. And guess what? They’ve just released one of those shorts for your viewing pleasure. Want to see it? Ooh, g’wan then. It’s after the jump.

Like somebody clad entirely in black and moving with highly trained agilty, the video is upon you!

Hey, who remembers Alec being The Worst Ninja in Ultima Online? Good times.

NA NA NA, NA NA NA, NA NA NA

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Gothnak says:

Lets do a video on a pre-rendered video of a feature which existed in the prequel 10 years ago!!!!

I love the Total War Games, but what is NEW?

Frankly after i’ve seen these once, i tend to skip them, and now i’ve seen this one in this video i can skip it in game…

Hmm, i seem to be rather grumpy today, sorry!

• Alexander Norris says:

Loads of people loved the old assassination videos, so this is literally just a feature going “lookit, the sequel has them too!”

• Zwebbie says:

Gothnak: But look at the rotating map! It rotates! It’s 3D!

• Eclipse says:

and it’s not prerendered

• Gothnak says:

The problem with this particular video is it says ‘Look, it’s in this version too!’ and apart from upping the res, and letting our animators making it a little humorous, we haven’t innovated in this area at all. A dice is rolled, and either it works ot it doesn’t. How about making the assassinations more fun or god forbid interactive and skillful (In a tactical way of course)???

This makes me worry that this will actually be Shogun: Total War 1.2…

• Fumarole says:

This makes me worry that this will actually be Shogun: Total War 1.2…

This is exactly what a great number of people want.

• battles_atlas says:

This reminds me that I’m pissed of at Civ V for dropping the nice FMV’s when completing wonders and the game. Those videos were actually worthwhile in Civ IV because you only got to see them once or twice and they emphasised your achievement. The moment felt special. In Civ V they seem to have invested all the FMV design time into the diplomacy, which is pointless because you see it all the time, and don’t even notice it after the first viewing.

Important lesson for game designers: THE MORE AN FMV WILL BE SHOWN, THE LESS TIME YOU SHOULD SPEND ON IT.

• Lukasz says:

I want shogun 1: NEW DELUXE edition too. so this little video makes me one happy camper.

• Tyler says:

I actually like the drawings for the Civ5 wonders, and enjoy the animated backgrounds for the diplomacy since I’m usually paying attention to the demeanor of the leaders.

I always watched the Shogun videos because of the suspense of not knowing which ending I was going to get. I really don’t care for how silly this video is, though.

2. Eclipse says:

ok the video is actually pre-rendered. but it’s at least something that’s in the game

3. battles_atlas says:

I did once love TW so much. This is just an epic yawn though. Too many games, too few steps forward.

4. Ian says:

More Worst Ninja please.

5. cyrenic says:

Leghugs: the secret bane of all ninjers.

6. Brumisator says:

Why did I think that screenshot was a low-angle shot of Civ V with a giant death robot?

…Maybe I should play something else to clear my brain cache.

7. Alphabet says:

After the incredibly empty experience that was the all-mouth, no trousers of the AIless Empire:TW I will never be playing one of these games again.

• skinlo says:

Why?

If this is good, why cut off your nose despite your face (so to speak).

• Alphabet says:

Unless people who care about AI give it glowing reviews, and probably even then, I won’t be interested. Making games is more than making pretty pictures. The battles in E:TW were a complete waste of time, and I’m not bothering with Civ V either, unless it gets patched into a state where the computer can give you an actual game.

• Vague-rant says:

Um, I think its “cutting off your nose TO spite your face”. But to be fair at least what you said makes more sense than “could care less”.

I’ll skip this after Empire too, regardless of how good it is. It just seemed to make the whole TW style seem, I don’t know, clunky? I tried to play Rome TW more recently, and the whole mechanics just felt tired. I think its like eating sausages. If you one day get a bad sausage where you can actually see a bit of pig ear sticking out, it kinda puts you off.

• pipman3000 says:

if you only played strategy games with great ai you’d never be able to play any straegy games.

well except maybe galatic civs 2 but that game is bland as hell and it took elemental (galatic civilizations 2 wif dragons and races as dull as galcivs2′s tech tree) for me to realise that.

8. Nallen says:

I never met any of the bugs in Empire but the game never did grab me anyway, despite a love of Rome. I don’t know about this one. My brother is a fanatical buyer of all Total War games so perhaps I’ll give his copy a go when it comes out and decide based on that if it’s any more interesting.

9. schurem says:

so whats the ETA on this?

10. El_MUERkO says:

I like the little thought bubble of the soldier has he cuddled the deadly ninjas leg :D

11. Kryopsis says:

“This makes me worry that this will actually be Shogun: Total War 1.2″

Better than than Empire: Total War 2.

12. The Innocent says:

The video had one weird error (I think). Did the ninja really stab all the way through the general — so the sword is sticking through the guy shoulder-to-ass — and then the body dropped, whilst still pinned?

• FRIENDLYUNIT says:

Yeah I know! I totally thought “Oh he missed LOL EPIC FAIL WORST NINJA EVAR” (especially after he let that guy hump his leg then nearly fell on another guy) but then apparently the assassination was successful…???

13. Riborbura Osseroto says:

Hey, CA, you know what would’ve been a good idea? ADD GAMEPLAY INSTEAD OF DOING THE SAME WANNABE QUIRKY VIDEOS ALL OVER.

• pipman3000 says:

THE GUYS MAKING THE VIDEOS ARE THE EXACT SAME GUYS PROGRAMMING THE GAME

WHY DID THEY TAKE PROGRAMMERS AWAY FROM PROGRAMMING GAMES TO PUT THEM IN A CGI SUITE OR SOMETHING AND DO SOME FMVS!!!

THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

• pipman3000 says:

if they didn’t do quirky dumb gay fmvs of some dude in ninja gear murdering someone they could of upped the gameplay level by about 20%

• Heliocentric says:

Fire the people who make the videos, spend that money on people to make mod tools and an ai programmer or two.

Won’t ever happen though.

HURRAH FOR STUPID FMV YOU’LL SKIP HUNDREDS OF TIMES.

• battles_atlas says:

WHAT YOU GUYS SAID

• Jeffthewonderbadger says:

LET’S ALL SHOUT. THEN CA WILL DEFINITELY CHANGE THEIR MARKETING STRATEGY.

14. Fumarole says:

That is all kinds of awesome. I love the blurry background effect and the rotating map.

15. RagingLion says:

I was blown away by those assassination videos from he first game. I think I would be disappointed if they didn’t have them in this one.

16. Inigo says:

“Studio Communications Manager”?
    Does he press the little “play” button on the office answer machine?

17. Jakkar says:

I will resist.

A smarter developer would have worked on creating dynamic assassination segments, whereby we watch an ingame engine sequence of partially scripted and partially freeform events. Like playing spectator to a game of Hitman with bots.

• Heliocentric says:

Indeed, with more elite unit having more chance of spotting, you can still have silly things happen, but it would be procedural.

• pipman3000 says:

hey while we’re talking about what smart people would do a smart developer would give me a copy of this game for free. with some beer. and lotto tickets. and a suitcase full of money. and their car. and their house. and give me cats bathes so i won’t have to.

18. Kurt Lennon says:

Not really into Total War games any more but I’ll keep an eye on this.

Also, am I the only one who spotted the Reflex reference in the title?

19. VonFIDDE says:

First i went like omg omg im gonna buy this.. but after a while ithink i will skip this one. Frankly they gotta add something new!!! and what about that dam AI, been 10 years and still its as shitty as allways. However i gotta say the visuals are amazing, still that dosent cut it in the end. I would never ever buy a new comp for a game like this :).

20. Heynes says:

Honestly, the only Total War I really got into was the first one, though that may because I had enough free time back then to invest more heavily onto such a game (and the somewhat silly but fun units). I think I will give this one a chance for nostalgia’s sake, but I’ll probably keep my rose-tinted glasses off.

21. Boris says:

OK, who went and made the water radioactive? Or is that japanese water? Never been, so I wouldn’t know. But that’s not the way water looks anywhere near where I am. Or have been.

22. Davie says:

Ah, ninjer.

• CoyoteTheClever says:

I don’t think we are allowed to make fun of Brit accents (Is Kieron Brigden a brit?) on a British website :P

23. Fathom says:

Jesus christ you people are fucking whiny. If you don’t enjoying gaming then why do you play games?

• Mad Doc MacRae says:

Clearly if you aren’t interested in one FMV that makes up less than one percent of one video game that hasn’t been released yet, you don’t enjoy gaming.

24. Ed says:

*CRUNCH* *CRUNCH* *CRUNCH*

That’s the crunchiest grass I’ve ever heard. No wonder the poor ninja was so bewildered.

Looking forward to the mod that lets you import the movies from the original Shogun

25. someyoungguy says:

They finally wrap up the Harry Potter films? Why’s he doing video game previews?

26. Davian says:

I guess we should be grateful it’s not a minigame where I have to press up down down up down really fast. Then again, it’ll probably have achievements like “ASSASSINATED 100 GENERALS OMG UR THE BEST”

27. Mathmin says:

Shogun 1.2 is exactly what I have wanted since TW sequels started popping up. Especially as they have taken the map system form Rome TW. It’s combining the elements of the best two TW-games to date.

I never did buy Empire because I felt they were going the wrong way. Shogunate Japan’s setting was always ideal for the game mechanics. Muskets and cannons simplified the games fighting into a two sided slugfest leaving less room for ambush and maneuver taking away a large part of the tactics involved.

I’m not sure I like the addition of humour though. The original Shogun got the mood of the game just right. There many things I think have improved as the TW-series has gone on, but the videos of the first one were definetly the cherry on top of the cake for me. They were pretty and always indicated something important happening. Adding humour to the videos seems to be downplaying the events and making them seem less relevant. I guess there might be people there who think it’s a welcome change?

28. newton says:

I’ve always liked the somber tone & seriousness of the original. This ruins it completely. Bye bye, Shogun 2.

29. Archonsod says:

Never particularly cared for the original, and from what I’ve seen so far this isn’t really selling it to me.

30. Pijama says:

Meh.

Somehow, they lost it. Total War used to be verily good, until they forgot about how to make a decent AI, great stuff to do besides CONQUER THE WORLD (Grand Achievements of MTW) etc

My point, in short: Roman ninjas. That’s where they went wrong.

31. Kadayi says:

*gets the cheese*

32. Actung Englander says:

I think I might get this because I understand the combat a lot better. Empire looked extremely nice but I just couldn’t get into the combat – line up your men and watch them shoot…..zzzzzz. Tactically interesting but dull to play. Hand to hand combat is a lot more interesting (for me anyway).

The problem I have with CA and Sony is that they will release at least 4 DLC after the game proper – so there is no incentive to “rush out and buy” when you can wait a year and buy the GOTY edition that will include all the DLC (hopefully) and will have all the patches as well. It will probably be cheaper as well.

Although Shogun is good I really cannot wait for Rome 2 – now that I will buy as soon as it comes out because I love that period.

One game idea for Rome 2 – could we set a personal income (as well as taxes) for the Emperor / Faction leader with the idea of customising our cities with megalomanic statues and buidings.

33. Travan says:

So I never played Empire, loved Med 2 though. Probably gonna buy this.

I think the people declaring their intention to not buy this because Empire was apparently a personal betrayal are being a bit silly.

34. foop says:

Obligatory comment about wanting decent AI this time round.