Resorting To Violence: Dead Island Trailer

By Adam Smith on August 31st, 2011 at 5:08 pm.

Life's a beach. Aha! Sorry, that wasn't very clever. I saw it on a t-shirt or something.
Just when you thought it was safe to get back out of the water, Dead Island is ready to gobble up your brains. Out September 6th in North America and on the 9th everywhere else, the game already boasts one of the most talked about trailers of the year. This latest one still has evocative (and strangely triumphant) music in the background but the foreground looks a lot more like an actual game. Along with the emphasis on co-op we’ve seen from previous marketing material, there’s some enemy variety on show and an urban-type environment alongside the beaches and resorts. Enjoy. We’ll have words about our experiences with the game next week, which unfortunately makes them too late to be featured on the side of a boat or plane wreck. Boo. If the trailer doesn’t contain enough zombies for you, check out this Marvel digital comic prequel to the game. That’s got some zombies in it too.

, , , .

1. MythArcana says:

Hopefully this game will live up to the hype and not reek of Consolitis!

• Khemm says:

The hud they’ve shown reeks of consolitis, that much is certain. And those giant “PRESS X BUTTON TO SPEND YOUR POINTS OR SKIP THIS CUTSCENE” things that won’t disappear, ugh.

• moarage says:

as long it’s not like borderlands, I’ll be happy

Vandelay says:

Oh RPS picked a good ‘un here. Great heading pun Adam.

• westyfield says:

Yeah, is Mr Smith here to stay? His puns are strong.

• Magnetude says:

He seems like a good hire, this Adam. I’d like to see some alt-text though, it’s been so sparse lately I worried my browser was broken.

heretic says:

alt-text up now it seems :)

• westyfield says:

Aaaaaah, much better.

• max pain says:

I miss the times when no alt-text was a rare exception.

3. Gunsmith says:

love the concept but i think the execution and pacing is whats going to let it down.

• WrongThinker says:

The execution and pacing are exactly what I’m excited about. After watching the extended gameplay footage that came out a few months ago, I’m 100% sold. I’m sure it will have action and a few laughs to go with the suspense, but in many ways this game comes across as the first (big-budget) modern survival horror game in a long time.

4. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. says:

For a game where guns are suppose to be rare and is mostly melee orientated that trailer sure had a lot of shooting

• Khemm says:

Oh what, they have to capture the CoD/Halo crowd’s attention somehow.

• iniudan says:

Agree and each time I see a trailer I get less and less interested, with the first few description of the game I kind of hoped it was some kind of AAA Fort Zombie but trailer make it look like some mix between L4D and Dead Rising. So mostly went from must buy to gonna wait on the LP or demo to show to decide.

5. deadly.by.design says:

I’m still not sure what to think about this game, though I’m strangely interested.

6. Real Horrorshow says:

Always gotta have the black thug.

“Aight, we a crew yo. BOOYAH SUCKAH”

Why is Valve the only company with non stereotypical black people?

• Magnetude says:

I thought they had some white rapper to fill that archetype though, he seemed to be touted as the default main character. Do they have two ghetto thugs in a four man crew? What kind of game is this I wonder.

• Zenicetus says:

Maybe because Valve is a USA-based company? The worst black stereotypes tend to come from other countries that get their ideas from bad movies. This being a Polish developer, it doesn’t surprise me.

What did surprise me was Eidos, a Montreal-based company and not that far out of the cultural loop, creating that execrable Letitia character in the new Deus Ex game. Someone in that outfit has been watching way too many 1970′s Blaxploitation films.

• Squirrelfanatic says:

Left 4 Black. Sorry.

• YeOldeSnake says:

@Zenicetus
      Well SHEEEEEEEYIT.

• tstapp1026 says:

@YeOldeSnake

Courtesy of “The Wire”?

<3<3<3

• Dominic White says:

DX:HR has probably the most ethnically diverse cast of characters I’ve seen in years, with major characters coming from all over the world. Apparently the developers are terrible racists and hate black people because of one vaguely stereotypically delivered line.

• Zenicetus says:

@ Dominic: There is a difference between an accusation of “racist” and calling something a hackneyed stereotype. You’re the first one that used the term racist.

Also, the Letitia character is much more than just one line of dialog. It’s a complete NPC characterization lifted straight out of a 1970′s movie or an episode of Starsky and Hutch. It’s actually kinda funny because it’s *so* over the top, one has to wonder if the devs are being totally clueless, or if it’s an intentional post-modern parody. Here’s a blog post about it, with that clip from the game embedded (no major spoilers, and completely spoiler free if you just listen to the first bits of dialog before Jensen starts asking questions):

• Jeremy says:

I feel like developers are screwed either way. If they make them sound too “white” then they get accused of white-washing their racial identity, which is totes racist.

• JackShandy says:

The way I see it, letitia is obviously mentally disabled in some way, and – not to be too offensive about it- people who are mentally disabled can speak strangely. I’m not going to search “Hobo talks crazy” in youtube and link the results here as proof or anything, but I know I’ve met people in real life who I would have considered an offensive parody if I saw them in a movie.

• Real Horrorshow says:

@ Jeremy

Developers don’t have to dial in the level of blackness for black characters, its not a science or something. That’s when problems do occur. I shudder to think what was instructed to the voice actress playing Letitia.

Just hire a black voice actor and let them sound normal.

• Scatterbrainpaul says:

This is the best Wire related sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it i’ve heard

• Jeremy says:

I agree, they shouldn’t have to dial in or “find” the right level of ethnicity.. I mean, these characters are no doubt stereotypes. It’s just sort of always a losing situation for developers. No matter what, someone will probably be offended by the representation. It will be too generic, or not black enough, or “too black” or something like that. When your product is under a microscope, someone will find a flaw with it and come up with some way to be offended. That’s more what I was attempting to bring up, rather than the authenticity of these particular characters.

It reminds me of the character BioWare hired to play Leliana. The character was criticized by some for being over the top, and a caricature of the French dialect, when the person who voiced the character was actually from France.

• Shadowcat says:

I just want to say that comment was awesome (and so true).

7. MuscleHorse says:

I really don’t understand the anticipation for this title. Looks like another bland console shooter.

• ulix says:

Its supposedly a non-linear, open-world, quest based shooter with a melee focus and vehicles, and you can play the whole campaign cooperitively with up to four people.

None of this sounds bland to me. I’m doubting it will turn out good, but the concept itself is awesome.

• Oneironaut says:

I think most of it is from that first trailer they released. I was expecting a survival game kind of like Project Zomboid but with 3D graphics and a AAA budget. Now it looks like a Left 4 Dead clone, and I’ll probably enjoy playing it, but it isn’t a release-day purchase.

• ulix says:

“looks like a Left 4 Dead clone”

Like, except for being open-world and melee focused? Which makes the games completely different?

• Jim Rossignol says:

We’ve had a bit of a look at it. Looks proper good. More info soon.

• MuscleHorse says:

I guess I should expand on this by saying that it looks as if it’ll be Borderlandsish – the last co-op shooter that I couldn’t understand the anticipation for. By my reckoning I was correct too .

• wu wei says:

By many others’ you’re wrong.

• bigblack says:

Really looking forward to reading the RPS experience with this game, which has been giving me confusing vibes – I should be slavering for this thing based on the setting, zombies, open-world missions, and co-op, but the style and game-play I’m seeing in each new trailer makes me want it a bit less. I wish the tone could be more a bit more Stalker than Dead Rising, if you know what I mean.. Oh well, eager for the write-up!

8. kuran says:

Preordered it on GreenMan, they had a great price for it… I’m hoping this game will expand on Far Cry 2′s greatness. Atmosphere, competent first person animations, inventory system, zombies… worth a shot.

• KauhuK says:

Can you tell me how much is this “great price”? Just checked at GMG and the preorder price was 42 euros and some cents. I can get (it is preorder but that is the normal price) Dead Island for as low as 29.40€ from a Finnish retail store.

• kuran says:

I got it for around 28 euros after the exchange rate was applied. (Bought the game in the US with a EUR card)

There was a 20% off promo at the time, and I believe I had another 5% off due to another GMG promotion.

It is also Steamworks btw, so you can activate it on Steam.

9. geokes says:

Fuck… Australian accents.

• westyfield says:

Crikey, zombies! Well throw another shrimp on the barbie, mate, because it’s time to roast these dags!

• gwathdring says:

Why shrimp? Who barbecues shrimp? Is that common?

• Teddy Leach says:

Barbecued shrimp are LOVELY.

• MuscleHorse says:

gwathdring’s mind is pure and unfettered by national stereotypes.

• Baconberries says:

@gwathdring

“Shrimp on the barbie” was popularized as a stereotypical Australian phrase by the movie Dumb & Dumber. And yes, people do often grill shrimp, and it is delicious. In fact I can think of any other decent way to eat shrimp, with the exception of tempura.

• Optimaximal says:

@baconberries I’m pretty sure it was an Ozzie stereotype pre-Dumb & Dumber…

• thedonkeyvote says:

Just so you all know, we call them prawns, not shrimp.

• Torgen says:

“shrimp on the barbie” I believe became a meme from Australian tourism commercials. It was already a stereotype by the time of the first “Crocodile Dundee” movie (1986.)

• wu wei says:

Good grief. Paul Hogan aka “Crocodile Dundee” did a number of tourism films for Australia in the mid-80s which aired in the US, which firmly attached the phrase “throw another shrimp on the barbie”.

Why this annoys us is that yes, as a nation we do like our barbecue and we even call it a barbie, but as for that other shit? They’re prawns, not shrimps. And no one wastes good barbie heat on bottom-feeding sea scum when there’s steak to be had.

(Aw, beaten on both points.)

• JackShandy says:

Australian accents are great! You just need to give them a fair shake of the sauce bottle, mate.

• Wunce says:

• Ovno says:

“I still don’t get why the Aussie accents always have to be over the top. From my experience playing online, a true Australian accent should be mistaken for a British one by the average American.”

That is exactly why they have to be over the top, otherwise the Americans think that they’re British….

• hello_mr.Trout says:

evenso i am australian, i don’t think we sound *that* awful in real life – and yet in movies, or games or whatever, the accent sounds so incongruous and jarring compared with all the other voices

10. PatrickSwayze says:

Nothing I’ve seen lives up to the premise of that horrendous/amazing rendered trailer that came out a while back.

But, Dead Rising 2 was awesome in co op so this may be too.

11. SteveHatesYou says:

The evocative nature of the advertising still appears to be something that’s shoehorned into trailers to capitalize on the success of Walking Dead, rather than something that’s built into the game itself.

12. BatmanBaggins says:

Definitely waiting for the reviews on this one

13. BobbleHat says:

One for a Weekend Deal on Steam, I think.

Project Zomboid seems to be the only game that really nails what a zombie survival game should be like. If something like that was made but with a budget, and in first-person, I think I’d wet my pants.

14. Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Dooh..I AM repeating myself, but I was getting bored of zombies by the end of the nineties… Sooo…woohoo, another zombie game….blargh

• LostViking says:

Well, killing stuff never gets old.
      Zombies is just a cop out to allow you to kill people by the hundreds ;)

• Khemm says:

I like the concept of an island populated by zombies that you are free to explore. Seems somewhat different than your average shooter, so I’m slightly optimistic.

15. tstapp1026 says:

What we REALLY need is a “Killer ZomCom” game that makes us laugh. Something in the Spirit of “Night of the Living Dead part 2″

“Get thuh dayme screwdrivah outta muh hayd!”

16. Maxmoaz says:

Aaah I love that music. BTW! I’m going to do a Let’s Play on this game DAY ONE when it’s out, so if you’re interested in that, go ahead and check out/subscribe to see it asap after upload! Youtube.com/Zilitaz

Wooooooooo!

Can’t wait!

17. torchedEARTH says:

They aren’t allowed that hanging man in North America. Please look away now.

18. chabuhi says:

Is it wrong that I have the hots for bikini-clad zombie chicks? Is it better or worse than my crush on Judy Jetson? And her mom?

19. Stephen Roberts says:

I’m wondering about playing a Devil’s Advocate here because, as much as I love computer games and get when they are ‘mindless’ (Bulletstorm, Serious Sam (although Serious Sam is much much much more Clever than Bulletstorm)) as much as I also get when they are inspiring (Braid, Eve online (oh, c’mon… there’s nothing even remotely like it) etc) I don’t really see the point of bothering with a game like this (most convoluted sentence ever!).

Left for Dead 2 was a major disappointment for me because Valve shoehorned plot and character over what should have been a blank slate for me to author as I played. But at least their characters were actually good. Or almost interesting. Every line spoken in that trailer was as old hat as it gets. I’ve seen worn out, tired arthritic donkeys at crumbling seaside resorts sporting newer head wear than that writing. And, while I am not an uninformed, fox news, republican reactionary, doesn’t all that praise about how much fun horror can be (a deeply satisfying horror experience, really?) just seem a little boorish and immature? Maybe I’m the only one but I genuinely feel like this might be getting a little too juvenile for me. Maybe juvenile isn’t the right word. Celebratory of carnage? Applausive of gore? I know applausive isn’t a word but after that I’m just not sure.

Project Zomboid on the other hand…

• Farcelet says:

I’ll say this doesn’t quite match the level of maturity the previous trailer showed. Then again, it was pointed out that they may have had in mind to appeal to the younger crowd in this.

I’ll be waiting for Dead State in any case.

20. Ezhar says:

The impossible palm tree bothers me every time.

21. DrSlek says:

This really looks like a blend of Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising 2…..both of which I already own. So I see no reason to buy this.

I’ll pass.

22. wodin says:

Funny how everyone still bases their concept of the game on the first trailer when everything else thats been shown since is bog standard FPS and shoot the zombie horde….infact I haven’t heard the developer mention anything about it being any different to any other zombie shooter\fps.

23. Kami says:

Wow, I am so psyched for this game, if it turns out to be a flop Ill go crazy.

Best Indie Game Reviews
    ^ My New site ^.^

24. BAshment says:

Has there been a trailer with more then 4-5 zombies on screen?

25. outoffeelinsobad says:

Are we going to be able to get the soundtrack for this?

26. sk2k says:

TIL that Dead Island is not available for us dumb Germans. Nor Steam or GMG are selling it.

27. slpk says:

How is this different from L4D? All the zombies, characters and guns look similar.
    I’ll go ahead and answer my own question: more fake blood?