Aeronautomobiles: Distance Has Flying Cars

By Adam Smith on April 8th, 2013 at 2:00 pm.

I already knew that the cars in Distance could fly but it’s a fact worth repeating. Keep in mind that the cars’ doors flip into position and become wings when aerial navigation is required and the situation becomes even more appealing. Following a successful Kickstarter campaign, the sequel-of-sorts to free techno racer Nitronic Rush is due in August of this year and the pre-alpha video below, shown at GDC, is exceedingly easy on the eyes. It’s an all expenses paid holiday to a thumping great futuristic city. For the eyes.

Maybe I should have warned you that while your eyes will enjoy the sights and the catering, your ears may wish to take along their own selection of music. I’m perfectly happy with the soundtrack though and extremely happy that there will be exploration and world-building: “since the car can jump, rotate, and fly, you’re able to explore the city to find hidden paths, as well as find secrets that reveal the city’s past.”

Distance’s races are about survival rather than speed, although the two will often be connected. There’s a full singleplayer game as well as LAN, online and split-screen, and the game will be DRM-free on Mac, Windows and Linux. I’ve probably spent more time in Far Cry 3′s vehicles than any racing game in the last six months or so but I’m looking forward to this one.

If I did want to play an attractive game with cars wot go fast, which would people recommend? I quite fancy GRID but have been waiting for the new one. If anyone does feel like recommending games below, please use the following criteria – 1) how fast do the cars go? 2) how many graphics are there for each car? 3) do the engines sound like hairdryers or vacuum cleaners? 4) do I have to start the game with a robin reliant and save money for upgrades, paintjobs and new vehicles?

Number four is, of course, preferable to any other mode of progression.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Christo4 says:

Wow this will be so awesome! If the game implements some power-ups, get a few frinds over for a LAN party and let the fun ensue! I think that the game will be good anyway, looking forward to it.

• The First Door says:

Apparently the game will ship with 4-player split screen car ‘soccer’ which I really can’t want to try out with some friends!

• Baines says:

It still makes me want to break out San Francisco 2049 for some 4-player split-screen. Stunt mode was a great way to kill time.

2. Stevoisiak says:

You should link to the original video, rather than a repost.

3. mjrmua says:

My racing kicks have recently all been provided by Flowstorm.

4. pupsikaso says:

Wait, those are CARS?? All this time what I’ve seen from the pictures and videos I thought they were PHONES!

5. BillygotTalent says:

A sorta sequel to Nitronic Rush that is not done by the developer of Nitronic Rush? That sounds shady to me.

• Adam Smith says:

The folks at Refract did work on Nitronic Rush while at DigiPen.

• c-Row says:

From the link…

EDIT: Ah, what Hodge already posted. I am pretty sure it didn’t take me four minutes to copy and paste that sentence, though…

• Chizu says:

Except it is?
      Refract is made up of people who worked on the original game. Which was a student project from digipen, so obviously they have to go under a new name now.

• Aardvarkk says:

There’s also a steam greenlight page for this which, since it was kick-started I don’t know how much of an impact getting green-lighted will have, does anyone know? Also I really liked the story of the first one, I hope the new one would carry that forward.

The greenlight page has more video and a bit of the ol’ wub-wub in the music.

6. Hodge says:

Distance is being developed by a subset of the Nitronic Rush team. From the Distance website:

“The game is a spiritual successor to the multi-award winning game Nitronic Rush, created by ourselves and 8 others while attending DigiPen Institute of Technology.”

EDIT: Err yeah, wot Adam said.

7. Delusibeta says:

I did enjoy Nitonic Rush, and will pay money for a better version of it.

8. neongreenie says:

This reminded me of POD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysHdEo3GXpA). If it turns out anything like that, I’m sold.

• DeVadder says:

Wow, i sure do remember POD to have photorealistic graphics. And what can i say, apart from the resolution obviously, it still looks not too bad.
      I spent hours with my brother and my father in the Arena/Training/Whatever map playing tag.
      And by hours i probably mean like 2 or 3. I was a child back then.

• godgoo says:

Reminded me of Hi-Octane and, for some reason Deathdrome. Thems were the days an all that.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

The devs said it had an influence, along with San Francisco 2049.

9. Bhazor says:

I can’t think of the name but Jim used to always bang on about a racing game inside a tube that you could go fast in.

That game had all the speed.

All of it.

Edit: Found it! It’s called Ballistics.
    You can’t even count all the vrooms.

• Adam Smith says:

He says ‘Ballistics’.

• El_Emmental says:

It’s such a shame the game wasn’t really polished (in terms of game design), ending up with a poorly-made learning curve and very few tracks, the concept itself was extremely good.

• SuicideKing says:

My god, i’m slightly dizzy now.

• particlese says:

Yes! I loved Ballistics, even though I was never very good at it.

And after reading this article, I’m liking Distance a lot more. I kept thinking of the game as a sweet love child of Ballistics and Tron Legacy, but it still looked way too slow in all the videos. Somehow, it hadn’t sunken in that the game is more about survival and tricks and stuff. And Tron. So thanks for pointing that out.

10. Feferuco says:

I don’t like that they went for the tron look. Wish they had gone for something else. It is tron’s look after all.

• Mr. Mister says:

You dislike that they went for it because you dislike the style, or because you don’t approve of going after a style stablished by someone else?

Though, strictly speaking, it was Nitronic Rush that went for the Tron style. Distance is actually going more for a Tron: Legacy kind of look.

11. islisis says:

With the amount of turns in it reminds me of Kinect Joy Ride

12. iniudan says:

Has myself and my friend who always played San Francisco Rush with the lowered gravity cheat on, I approve of this game.

• Mr. Mister says:

You two tried Nitronic Rush then? It has the approval of the San Francisco Rush’s guy, and even level remakes from SFR and Battletoads.

13. TechnicalBen says:

Love it. Reminds me of the great old games such as Extreme G and Rollcage. :)

14. Snargelfargen says:

The cars look like smartphones.

15. The First Door says:

Squee! I’m really, really looking forward to this. It has been much too long since there was a new futuristic racer to play.

16. Tusque D'Ivoire says:

I have been playing FUEL for the last week. it has a great new community patch that is said to fix a lot of bugs. the cars go blurryly fast, have many graphics even though there could be more noises and you will be able to purchase all the fun looking cars very quickly!

17. Intrinsic says:

Looks similar to Trackmania imo which is always a good thing! TrackMania Sunrise is prolly my fave racing game on the PC.

18. Sinomatic says:

This is essentially how I thought a lot of racing games made now would look, back in the 90s. I approve.

19. The Random One says:

Oh, so when cars turn into planes in Sonic & All-Star Racers Transformed it’s silly, but when Distance does it it’s awesome eh? WHAT BIASED JOURNALISM, SIRS.

20. Urthman says:

While the car wings in Nitronic Rush were awesome, the real meat of the game (for me) was when they take away the wings in hardcore mode and force you to learn to flip the car with attitude jets so you can drive on the walls and the ceiling. At that point Nitronic Rush becomes a cross between a Tony Hawk game (where you’re trying to chain together tricks) and the stunt tracks from Rollcage (where the object is just to make it to the end of the track).

• The First Door says:

I always forgot you could use the wings to save yourself when you missed the track from a jump. The amount of cursing which would also ensue when I remembered approximately five inches from the floor!

21. GeeKay says:

LED Storm anyone? :)

22. TechnoJellyfish says:

Personal preferences aside, I strongly hope they do away with the generic sounding dubstep soundtrack. Otherwise, I’m just going to replace it with the awesome Extreme-G soundtrack:

23. ass wasp says:

I’d recommend sega rally revo if sega hadn’t made it impossible to get legally by breaking their own DRM system. I think outrun 2006 is still purchasable though.

Comment on this story