PaydayZ: Overkill’s Walking Dead Co-op FPS

Boo! Or is that ghosts?

Don’t blame the zombie. Look at ‘im! That brainless schlub isn’t responsible for the shoddy games he’s often found in. He’s a symptom, not the cause. You know what, I think I might even enjoy murdering the li’l fella. Zombies be damned, I’m looking forward to Payday creators Overkill’s new game–a co-op FPS based on The Walking Dead–because it’s a co-op FPS made by Overkill. It wasn’t the fool zombies’ fault that the last Walking Dead FPS was such a horrible mess. Those poor zombies have enough on their hands, and some don’t even have those.

Overkill’s game will tell a story with new characters in Washington fighting to keep their innards internal. It’ll be gritty and all. Beyond that, almost every useful detail is within this Q&A quote:

Overkill’s The Walking Dead is a co-op first person shooter with elements of action, role-playing, survival horror and stealth, that invites players to explore the hugely popular The Walking Dead universe, where they will play the role of survivors fending for themselves in a post-apocalyptic world dominated by flesh-eating walkers.

Overkill say they still are working on Payday 2, with a year of support and DLC planned. They ruffled a few feathers by teasing a big surprise on Payday 2’s first birthday then announcing a different game, but are giving Payday 2 players a barbed wire-wrapped baseball bat to swing around in Walking Dead style.

Overkill’s parent company Starbreeze are self-publishing this one–a first. Here, have a teaser trailer but, as it is a teaser trailer, don’t expect much from it:

1. DarkLiberator says:

At least it’ll be better then Survival Shitinct.

• Syra says:

Yup that was awful but this is confusing – from the makers of the game most frequently described as left 4 dead but with cops and robbers comes the game best described as left 4 dead… uhhh walking 4 dead?

2. Metalfish says:

There was a month long countdown to this announcement, interestingly. Personally, I’d say that is a bit much for something without anything to get one’s eyeballs around. The sometimes lovely, sometimes batshit PD2 community appear to be a little unimpressed, expecting more valve-ARG-style “the secret” ala overdrill in PD1.

Myself, I’m rather looking forward to this, and hoping for something a little more state of decay rather than left for dead.

• goon buggy says:

So left for walking dead then. meh

The world needs more state of decay. I could see a ww2 version, where your running around warsaw or paris. No one steal my idea

• stonetoes says:

Yeah, it was a month-long countdown for a game that won’t be released for two years, if it’s on schedule. Why not make it a two year countdown? Go big or go home overkill!

3. BreadBitten says:

I have a good hunch that this game is going to focus more on gameplay and co-op than on narrative sophistication, but after experiencing The Last of Us recently I doubt any other zombie game will ever measure up. Signing off.

• subedii says:

I got the chance to read the first 3 comics of The Walking Dead when it when it was free on the Indie bundle, to see if I wanted to buy the rest.

And you know what? I was kind of surprised that it all felt so… mundane. Even more amazed that something as awesome as the Telltale games came out of it.

Maybe it gets better over the course of the series or something, but I wasn’t really feeling the “narrative sophistication” there.

In any case, I’m good for narrative with the TT games, so I don’t have a problem with an action series coming of it too. Provided that they can give it its own spin and it doesn’t feel like a Zombified take on Payday (which funnily enough, was basically called a cops-and-robbers version of Left 4 Dead when it came out).

• Big Murray says:

Can you really determine the sophistication of a long-form narrative such as this within the first 3 comics?

• subedii says:

Like I said, maybe it gets better. But 3 comics was what they were offering for free to ‘entice’ me to buy the rest, and I can’t say it really did that.

On the flipside I was hooked on the TT game from Episode 1.

• welverin says:

No, you can’t. The first issue of any ongoing series now a days is almost a throwaway.

• Syra says:

To be honest TWD comic never really gets that much better, it kind of lurks just below really great for the whole duration, waving its amazing phallic potential in your face.

4. Frank says:

They’re owned by Starbreeze? How bad could it be?

5. SkittleDiddler says:

Left 4 Dead with loads of shitty DLC? That’s just what we needed.

• HadToLogin says:

Valve already working on it in L4D3. $100 for naked Zoey, $300 for naked Coach.

• Jalan says:

Sadly, they can’t put a price on the naked chocolate helicopter. Though they undoubtedly tried.

6. Megakoresh says:

Yeah lol, we definitely haven’t had enough zombies. And of course not enough weapon and skin packs and other shit.
    Nope. Don’t care, don’t want.