You Can Watch These Overwatch Videos Over and Over

I hope you like watching footage of Overwatch [official site], because over the last month since our last look, Blizzard have released eight new character gameplay previews for their upcoming team FPS. That’s around seventy minutes of direct capture Overwatch videos to enjoy.

Look, I’ve embedded them all here for you so you don’t even need to click away to get your fix. They’re even in chronological order, with the newest ones nearest the top. Aren’t I nice.

Despite Blizzard’s insistence that this footage is from an “early version of Overwatch”, the game is looking pretty smooth and robust.

It also looks like Overwatch will have a really nicely varied cast of characters when it launches. Even if some of the designs delete some of that goodwill Blizzard gained with Tracer’s character reveal (ahem, Widowmaker). With the beta beginning this autumn, there’s plenty of time for Blizzard to come up with more cooky chums to fight with and against. In the meantime, immerse yourself in the skills and abilities of the ones we already know about. But be quick about it, they’ll probably be releasing a new one any minute now.

1. int says:

Accept me Blizzard! I want to participate, not observe!

2. Noavailablenames says:

I mean, I COULD watch them over and over, but why would I?

• OneTwoWho says:

Ooooh because of the name. I can watch them over, and over. I see what you did there, you comedic person, you!

3. EhexT says:

Jesus all of their female designs adhere to the tried and true “female character = profession costumed stripper” axiom of character design. It’s like a worst of Smite’s female characters up in here.

• Kollega says:

To be a tiny bit fair, the Zarya character reveal did show at least one female character that does not look like a stripper… but yeah. I don’t get why more female player characters in sci-fi can’t just wear the same kind of power armour as male player characters. FemShep does that, and she’s actually the fan-preferred version of the character, despite not having anything to do with the standard “boobs-out” character designs.

• Velthaertirden says:

Did you mean to say vocal minority-preferred version?
        link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Kollega says:

I don’t know what your point is, but my point was that FemShep managed to be just as popular as ManShep despite wearing perfectly sensible powered armour. Even if there’s a silent majority of players who didn’t pick her as a character.

• gwathdring says:

I like everything about this game except the UI.

It keeps throwing crap into the center of the view, obstructing your ability to see the action and many of the first-person animations are unnecessarily obstructive. :(

• gwathdring says:

Reply fail. Damnit, why did they take away editing? :(

• Velthaertirden says:

Sorry, my point is that it is hard to judge whether the femshep is as popular as the male version depending on the outfit of the character. The statistics still show that the male version is more popular and we are not to know what would be the difference if Bioware made femshep wear a space bikini.

• subedii says:

I thought Pharah looks cool, got a kind of Samus Aran thing going on with her armour (although more on the angular side). That said she must have a waist the size of a thimble.

• Kollega says:

Yeah, to be fair again, Pharah is definitely channeling the whole Samus Aran thing, but I am not sure if her proportions ought to be quite THAT exagerrated.

• LionsPhil says:

On the flipside, Reinhardt must have a head the size of a pin.

• subedii says:

Reminds me of that comic book of Captain America with a tiny head on a HUGE frame where his chest is a ginormous jutting out slab of muscle. Super freaky.

• LionsPhil says:

Also: holy crap she’s dominant. Not only does she usually end up being the one killing the other players in their videos, she gets a 37-kill streak in her own before finally being downed by…another Pharah. In a Q-power showdown.

Who’d have thought a Soldier with a 50% larger clip, limitless ammo, and a no-self-damage rocket jump/glide would annihilate everyone?

…and then it declares Widowmaker the player of the game. Guess they’re still tuning that.

• subedii says:

Pretty sure that’s just to showcase the character. Almost every (or every) video has the title character as the player of the match with massive killstreaks.

• Tacroy says:

Except for the mini-sentry character, watching her video after watching the other characters makes me feel like the other Overwatch members just let her tag along for her teleporter.

Those mini sentries do nothing but let you know enemies are coming through an area as they die.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s Play of the Game, not Player of the Game. Looks like they’ve tried to program a rule of cool.

• Kompatriartes says:

This manufactured outrage is always hilarious but it’s particularly amusing in this case given that several of the female characters actually adopt your puritanical standards.

I don’t personally need sexually provocative clothing on female characters in games, because I don’t really notice; this is a stupid, silly game which has some mildly interesting world building and will live or die on its gameplay (which looks promising). Everything about the world is exaggerated. I guess it’s too much to expect this to be blatantly obvious to everyone though.

• AriochRN says:

Well I’ve still to see any male characters with their wangers outlined in their costume, or maybe have a bit of side-nut on show (not played The Witcher games so correct me if I’m wrong :)).

Every time I see this kind of character it makes me feel “have we still not grown up then”? It’s teenage boy tug-fantasy design.

• subedii says:

Witcher 3: Believe it or not, Geralt’s model is actually a Ken doll.

• AriochRN says:

In that case, the only example I can think of is Mount Your Friends.

Imagine if more male characters in games had that flolloping around as you were trying to deal death and destruction. I think Gears Of War would be the best game EVER.

• subedii says:

This manufactured outrage at other people’s manufactured outrage is completely outrageous I say!

*Monocle pop*

• PancakeWizard says:

We’ll get the manufactured outrage for another year at least I’m sure before everyone is sick of trying to appease the unappeasable. I saw someone the other day calling Bethesda ‘transmisognyist’ because there was a cross-dressing (which would be transvestitism) character in their Fallout 4 trailer.

These things burn themselves out, I wouldn’t worry.

• P.Funk says:

Or maybe the observation (it needn’t be outrage honestly) has merit. All the SJWs frothing at the mouth can’t change a simple reality that female avatars in gaming are disproportionately sexualized. They’re at least always beautiful. There are no ugly ogre faced women, few that fit the Gimli mould (any?), and just look at that concept art linked below. These girls could star in a Lil’ Jon video with booties like that.

So the SJWs get a bit excessive with their outrageous language, doesn’t change the basic response that a reasonable person looking at this would think “hmm… thats a bit much”. I ain’t boycotting nothing. I’m not even saying its misogynistic. But c’mon!

• bill says:

A – Manufactured by whom? I’m wondering who has controlled all these random internet commentators.

B – It’s no so much the individual instances, it’s how frickin predictable and dull it is. They’ve managed to make half a dozen different female characters with entirely different styles/costumes/genres… and yet make them all basically come from the same school of design.

C – It’s no so much the body types, imho, but the poses. Tell me widowmaker doen’t have something seriously wrong with her hips and back. Try to imagine any of the male characters posed in such a ridiculous pose.

• P.Funk says:

So apprently original comment is in moderation hell now because I assume I used a forbidden acronym, (think short for Silly Joss Whedon) despite arguing on the same side that gets unfairly accused of being said acronym. I don’t know if that auto moderation or just an overzealous moderator who doesn’t really read the content of things.

In any event, lets recap with a censored reposting.

Its a reasonable observation and it isn’t an outrage to make an observation. Find me a female avatar in gaming that looks like Gimli the dwarf, ie. one who is a big heavy weapons guy type who is actually ugly. They don’t exist because even the muscle bound ones with scars have Elven features.

Female gaming avatars are sexual pretty much universally except in a few cases and even then they’re still beautiful at least. While male primary characters are usually still subjectively good looking they’re still deliberately ugly. Women not so much, if at all.

Its not a manufactured outrage, its a perfectly reasonable observation. Its not even like these are normal body types. They’re exaggerated with huge asses and big hips and breasts. I don’t think those characterizations should necessarily be wiped out, but the lack of variation on them outside of a sexualized norm is the issue.

Take TF2 avatars. Quite varied, extremely exaggerated, but not all are necessarily pretty or attractive. Male characterizations when varied can run the gamut from spritely Scout to blocky and gruff Soldier, meat head Heavy, suave Spy, none particularly sexual except perhaps a brief moment in “Meet the Spy”.

Women… well we know what the norm is. Why is that an unreasonable observation? Lets forget the outrage for a second and just focus on the observation, k?

• PancakeWizard says:

“Find me a female avatar in gaming that looks like Gimli the dwarf, ie. one who is a big heavy weapons guy type who is actually ugly. ”

Female Tauren.

• P.Funk says:

I was thinking more like a human-ish body that isn’t given the treatment of pretty and busty, ie. when its arguably remotely fuckable by more than just the furry demographic.

Pondering this though, Shadowrun seems to have some decently neutral female forms.

• Kitsunin says:

Even the female Tauren aren’t allowed to be muscular or have facial piercings or muscles.

If we’re talking about MMO character customizations, I’d say Guild Wars 2’s female Charr and Asura are the only ones I can think of who nail it. The females are on average softer, and overall get more feminine options, and that’s really the only difference that isn’t chosen by the player. Muscle definition isn’t disallowed because they aren’t guys, for instance.

• Kitsunin says:

*or horns, bluh…

• ButteringSundays says:

It’s almost like there are different kinds of exaggeration.

“I’m a man and I don’t notice these issues so I don’t know why you should care about them!”

Thanks fur the contribution.

• LexW1 says:

What nonsense. Smite is much worse.

We’ve got one Smite-level character here – Widowmaker.

Pharah and Tracer have literally nothing offensive about their outfits (not even true boobplate).

Symmetra is arguable, but she’s not showing any cleavage and doesn’t fit the “hooker” mould in the way smite characters tend to.

Not shown here but there’s also Zarya, who is a big hulk of a lady, with mild boobplate (no worse than games that are considered to do well in this department), Mercy, who is like Symmetra but with no skin showing and angel wings and so on.

Comparing that to Smite? You’ve got to be kidding. The majority of them are in bikini-type outfits, virtually everyone has cleavage or a ultra-miniskirt with a ton of leg on display or both. They also tend to be very sexualized.

So you are very wrong.

• subedii says:

I might’ve agreed about tracer but…

Anecdotal, but this reminds me of back when Natural Selection 2 added female characters for the first time. Was a cool addition, but looking at them I couldn’t shake the feeling that something looked odd in the design.

Then I realised, no, it wasn’t that the characters themselves looked odd, it was quite literally the fact that their behinds weren’t wedged into two tight hemispheres in a pair of ridiculously tight trousers, and instead looked as if they were wearing normal combat fatigues.

I had quite literally been conditioned by years of in-game characters that female characters are supposed to look like that, to the point that when they didn’t they had started to look unusual.

That struck me as seriously messed up.

Incidentally, as another point of reference (and abject hilarity), it’s worthwhile looking up “The Hawkeye Initiative”. Laughed lots.

• Generico says:

How many posts does it take to get to the absurd “feminist” outrage? One…Tahoooo…Thrrree.

To be fair, all the male characters also have ridiculously exaggerated proportions. Hell, most of the male characters don’t even get human faces. But “ridiculously exaggerated” is Blizzard’s art style and pretty much always has been.

• Daemoroth says:

Bwahahahaha!!!! Wow… Eyesight doesn’t seem to be your strong suit, or have you never actually played Smite before?

Maybe, MAYBE you have something with Widowmaker, but she’s definitely not rocking DD’s.

Methinks you need to take a walk outside, take in the fresh air, maybe have a look (Concerned about that due to your apparently problematic eyesight) at what women are wearing these days. And please, do remember that the ladies normally dress themselves, voluntarily.

• ButteringSundays says:

If ‘rocking DDs’ is your baseline for over sexualised characterisation then it’s of no surprise you can’t see the wood for the trees. Ironic you calling others blind.

If you think the above is representative of female combatants then I urge you to come back to the conversation when you e graduated high school.

How about for once we get some female power fantasy to go along with our male power fantasy? Why does that offend people like you so much?

• Daemoroth says:

No, but if any kind of cleavage suddenly means over-sexualisation, then there’s no hope for you.

Why not let women make the choice for themselves? What makes YOU the authority on what women are expected to like hmm? Are they so incapable of making up their own minds?

Have you considered that women ALSO have differing tastes? A power-fantasy for one might not actually be a power-fantasy for another? What’s so horrific about offering THEM a choice and letting THEM make it?

What offends me is people like you, who think that women are only allowed ONE type of power-fantasy, the one that YOU approve of. How ridiculously close-minded and arrogant do you have to be to think they should subscribe to YOUR decisions, instead of offering choice and letting THEM make it for themselves?

You know, create a broad design of female characters? Like a fully armored one (Pharah)? A sexy one showing off cleavage (Widowmaker)? Or showing off some leg (Symmetra)? Or bulky, strong armored type (Zarya)? Or a spunky one (Tracer)?

Yeah, outlandish ideas…

• Apologised says:

To be fair to the guys at Hi-Rez, most of the gods they have in SMITE *were* really slutty.

And that goes triple for Zeus and Loki.

4. Kollega says:

This looks… pretty much like the heyday of TF2. And sadly, I imagine it’s going to face and succumb to the same problems as TF2 did. It’s already messier style-wise and somewhat more cluttered than TF2 1.0, and if Blizzard are planning to sell hats as a main way to make profit, it’s not going to get any less messy in stylistic terms. Plus I don’t exactly have much hope that there won’t be gamble-crates like in TF2, or any other F2P-standard shady practices, and the whole “FPS plus MOBA” aspect does not appeal to me either because I belong to the growing category of people who want the whole MOBA craze to blow over already.

In short, the jury’s still out, but I sincerely doubt that Overwatch will be something more for me than “just another F2P multiplayer shooter”. But I guess we’ll see.

• LexW1 says:

They’re not going to sell hats – they’ve not announced it but you can guarantee they’ll go with the tried and tested F2P model of selling permanent access to characters (probably have 5 free to access on rotation) and selling character skins.

• PseudoKnight says:

I really miss TF2 1.0. :(

5. Gap Gen says:

And now I can’t find Rab Florence singing about Overwatch in Space Hulk and I’m sad.

6. The_invalid says:

For all of Blizzard’s bluster about a ‘diverse’ set of characters, they sure all look incredibly clichéd and boring.

• Wulfram says:

But they’re a diverse cliched and boring

• Pich says:

It’s diverse, not different. Also this game was made from the scraps of other failed games.

• Turkey says:

Perfect. I bet there’s tomes of elaborate fanfiction on the internet already.

7. The_invalid says:

Touché!

8. airtekh says:

Still two more character gameplays to reveal by my calculation; we still haven’t seen Zarya or Bastion yet.

Can’t wait to get into the beta for this; I’m checking my inbox obsessively everyday for any word of it starting.

• PancakeWizard says:

What I like about Zarya’s look is that it’s very reminiscent of the Escher gang members from GW’s Necromunda. I just find it amusing we’re back to Blizzard taking their cue from Games Workshop once more (even if it’s unintentional this time).

9. GWOP says:

After hearing Tracer’s cringe-worthy London accent, I think Brits can now safely accuse Blizzard of racism.

• SaintAn says:

Should have gave her Sera’s accent from DA:I. I weirdly liked that one.

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, I read

goodwill Blizzard gained with Tracer’s character reveal

and wondered if Jem had actually read any of the previous Overwatch RPS comments. The awfulness of Tracer’s accent comes up every time, and it’s become far-and-away her most defining characteristic, moreso than what should be some interesting combat mechanics.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

It’s the future. By then everyone will sound like that.

/still better than writing ‘would of’

10. gwathdring says:

I like everything about this game except the UI.

11. LionsPhil says:

“This will protect us!”
    “This will protect us!”
    “This will protect us!”

Come on, Blizzard. You’ve got to realize how bad it is that your dialogue quips are repeating themselves within the span of a sub-10-minute gameplay video.

• P.Funk says:

I think its instead just that the dialogue sucks. TF2 repeated itself rather frequently but it was always amusing.

“Tiny men steal our cart!”

12. dmoe says:

Overly-Busy: The FPS

There’s so much shit thrown at your face in this game. And the character dialogue is so bad too.

13. Rorschach617 says:

Just finished the Winston gameplay and something struck me about the cartoon art style.

Just going to throw this out there, see if it bounces.

When Winston goes Berserk, how cool would it be if every player (both friendly and enemy) got a 3 second “Bullet Time” phase (with far reduced mouse/controller sensitivity to match the reduced passage of time, so that no one gets an advantage)? In this phase, team mates appear to turn to the player and say stuff along the lines of “Uh oh, you got him mad now!” or “I won’t clean up this mess”.

Because that is the only thing that could make those moments better, the kind of wisecracks you’d expect a team of friends to say :)

14. Tacroy says:

Honestly except for the shields and some special movement mechanics, these gameplay videos are like they took different TF2 loadouts and made them their own classes –

There’s a mini sentry engineer (Symmetria), a normal engineer (Torbjorn), and a Wrangler engineer (Bastion)

There’s a Huntsman sniper (Hanzo) and a regular sniper (Widowmaker)

There’s a Shortstop scout (Tracer) and a Back Scatter scout (Reaper)

There’s a flying Medic (Mercy) and a flying Soldier (Pharah)

There’s a heavy Pyro with a shield (Winston) and a heavy DemoKnight with a shield (Reinhardt), and then there’s a just plain Heavy with a shield (Zarya)

Finally, there’s whatever the heck Zenyatta does – I haven’t been able to figure it out so far, do his balls just buff and debuff or something? – and then there’s “we ran out of ideas and just made a hitscan guy” McRee.

I’m not saying this is a TF2 ripoff or anything, but I’m having a hard time seeing why anyone would play this over TF2; ironically, I think this game is going to run into the same problem as every WOW-killer has so far.

If there was more emphasis on the movement mechanics that would be awesome – IMO it’s the best part of these gameplay videos. I’d love to see a game where characters are jetpacking and rope-swinging and blinking all over the place with their unique movement mechanics, immersed in levels built to support that kind of thing, but honestly any of these levels could have come out of TF2 completely unchanged and the unique movement seems fairly restricted.

• ggggggggggg says:

cant wait for this one, when I play tf2 i always catch myself saying ‘man, wouldnt this be so much more fun if it had three turret classes in it?’

15. arhaine says:

To be honest, the most weird thing for me is how easily people get offended by something these days.
    Almost none comments about the gameplay, no, nowadays it’s “I find this offensive!”, “I find that inappropriate!”.
    Weird, weird people.

Back to the topic:
    I like Symmetra’s style of play, tbh. Increase map awareness, increase respond times, that’s actually fun ^^

16. Ferno says:

This game looks pretty hectic. Tracer could be good fun to play. I’d love widowmaker’s toolset (grappling, sniper) but her character design just makes me groan. Would like to give this a go but if it follows HotS payment system then I’m out.

17. Bobtree says:

I’ve been watching these for a while now. The designs are a mixed bag (Reaper couldn’t be more boring), but the gameplay looks fantastic. It makes me think of TF2, Enemy Territory, and Monday Night Combat. I only hope they don’t ruin it with F2P nonsense, or grinding, or hats, or whatever. Building a from-scratch engine for Overwatch also makes me slightly suspicious, because UE4 or whatever would clearly be fine for it, but Blizzard can afford it and probably wants to avoid paying royalties. The HOTS pricing does not make me optimistic however.