Audio Diary: My Ridealong With An Arma 3 Bandit

Altis Life is a mod for Arma 3 [official site] where players take on the role of paramedics, police officers, taxi drivers, salt miners and many other ordinary occupations. You start with a wad of cash and try to make your own way in the world. Maybe you start running minerals and metal between mines and refineries. Maybe you become a humble fruit picker and spend all your money on a sweet new scarf. Or maybe one day you’ll have an interview to become a medical helicopter pilot, conducted by other players. It’s all possible.

Recently I was dispatched to a UK server to make contact with the citizens. I discovered tales of banditry, traffic regulations, police corruption, salt barons and much more. Most of my information came from a criminal known as Hank. Here we offer you the chance to hear my ridealong with Hank firsthand (edited for time, of course).

This post was created for and made possible by the RPS Supporter Program. Thanks for your funding! Music courtesy of Kevin MacLeod.

Dorga says:

Audio content is always nice!

heretic says:

This is great, thanks!

3. poliovaccine says:

Awesome – thanks for the heads up on what looks to be a great mod! Methinks I should see if this mod’s ordinators want to use my PayDay-style heist mod in their world once it’s finished (I never liked how messy PayDay heists are, I thought an Arma mod would be a great way to do a heist with a Rainbow Six level of planning and coordination)… this mod makes a great town for my smaller mod to be inserted into, especially since this one already includes roaming police!

Well thanks for the inspiration -but curse you for turning more of my gaming time into work!

Man does this mod look sweet

4. racccoon says:

Much better than videola’
    Great audio well done.
    This should be a compulsion. Radio is so much more greater as it creates more imagination and thrills for the mind explore.

5. XxATDxX says:

What is this genre of gaming called? Does it have a name yet? I recently tried to look for an alternative to Arma life – You know, something that was actually designed for it something that could handle more than 30 fps but i didn’t have a genre to go on, i stupidly tried typing “roleplaying games” into google completely forgeting that there is already a genre of gaming called that and it isn’t even really about roleplaying, unlike this where you actually do roleplay as the character you are playing, you actually act as a person within the world, what is this genre called? Does anybody know? Does it have a name? And does anybody know if there is an alternative? I already know about Identity but lets be honest i’m not convinced we are ever actually going to see that game reach the light of day.

• Honigsenf says:

when i am not totally wrong its also called roleplay gaming. an example i would point to is the huge SAMP RPG community. its very similar to altis but in GTA San Andreas Open World. Its very popular in easter europe. check the ammount of available servers @ link to game-state.com
      the client itself you can find @ sa-mp.com.

6. Raquel says:

Sorry but altis life is just ridiculous. First DayZ now this, what happened to ArmA ?

• Mctittles says:

This was around long before DayZ.

• fish99 says:

How does this existing affect anyone who wants to play Arma as a milsim? It’s two seperate demographics.

• Raquel says:

Actually it does, 90% of people playing arma these days are playing silly roleplaying and survival mods, no one plays proper military missions anymore.

Good thing there’s Squad, a much better military shooter.

• Troubletcat says:

This has also been my experience. In ArmA 2 pre-DayZ (and obviously also in ArmA and OpFlash before it) it was no problem to hop on and find matches of CTI, co-op missions, or a handful of other modes.

After DayZ came out it seems like people all either A: Joined private communities. B: Started only playing those kinds of modes or C: Quit the game because the pub population was getting so low. It’s now impossible for me to play my favorite mode from ArmA 2 in ArmA 3 because everyone who plays is playing Wasteland/Zombie shit/Life modes.

But, like you, I got Squad. I never thought I’d say this about a game but thank god it’s going to have a more limited modding capacity.

• Sizzkesticks says:

What a weirdly obnoxious attitude. I can appreciate why it would be frustrating for you if players are being drawn away from your preferred modes and making it harder to get a game going, but do you honestly believe that pretending to be a soldier is somehow less ‘silly’ or ‘ridiculous’?

7. Beanbee says:

Great stuff! More of this! Love me some of that public radio style!

8. Jane Doe says:

A friend once tried to recruit me to this mod. After two hours of gathering peaches, I uninstalled it and returned to DayZ Origins.

Still can’t get my head arround all those ghost towns with their empty buildings.

• anHorse says:

Same

I tried it, couldn’t find anything fun to do and then I got murdered by some people who’d managed to get the gear necessary to play as bandits
      AKA to be the only fucking people having fun

9. Warduke says:

Nicely done, enjoyed the audio.