Arma 3’s Shiny New 3D Editor Coming This Month

“You can imagine the editor as a military-themed Mario Maker on PC,” says one Bohemian in a video showing off the new editor coming to Arma 3 [official site] later this month. It certainly looks a lot friendlier than Arma editors of yore. Sure, folks have already managed to turn Arma into everything from a zombie apocalypses to a job simulator, but more approachable tools mean even more people making stuff. I am always in favour of more people making things. The more readme files the merrier, I always say. Missions and mods too, I suppose. Here, have a look at the new editor:

The main difference, see, is that the new ‘Eden 3D Editor’ is in shiny 3D-o-vision, not the 2D-based map-like view of earlier Arma editors. It has new features that’ll be useful for seasoned scenario designers too, such as, er, Undo.

As Bohemia explain in a blog post highlighting Eden features, “Due to technological limitations, it was not possible to undo or redo changes in the original editor. But, as silly as it might sound in 2016, the undo/redo button is finally here.”

The editor itself will be moddable too, letting folks make plug-ins and whatnot.

Eden has been in public beta since last year, but it’ll be finished and released properly with the platform update coming this month.

Have you made any Arma scenarios, reader dear? How’d you find the editor? More importantly, how are your readme files?

From this site

1. Noisy says:

Now this is exciting. I remember struggling with current editor, and eventually losing interest to mission creation.
    Sure looking forward to try this one out.

2. Clavus says:

Bohemia’s support for Arma 3 has been amazing ever since release. Major free platform updates and a decent DLC strategy to fund it. They’re releasing an even bigger tech upgrade later this year.

3. Shiloh says:

I’ve never got beyond making simple patrol/firefight/steal the car type missions in any version of Arma, so I’m looking forward to this immensely.

I’ll have to check out how it handles scripting etc though before I get too cocky.

4. stoner says:

I didn’t see where a modder can add/change/delete terrain. I was thinking that entirely new lands could be created. Not true?

I’m an ArmA 3 player, not a modder. Could a scenario designer/modder please explain the difference between this editor and the scenario editor already being used?

• Jekhar says:

The difference is true WYSIWYG model placement. No more fiddling around with icons, whose dimensions have nothing to do whith their ingame counterparts. But i don’t think you will be able to shape terrain with this new editor.

• SuicideKing says:

There’s a terrain editor, part of the Arma 3 Tools package (Steam Library -> Tools).

• celoush says:

For creating new Arma 3 island you need to use program Visitor 3 (from BI Editing Tools 2)

5. rosteprusl says:

cash right now… Get more time with your family by doing j0bs that only require for you to have a computer and an internet access and you can have that at your home. Start bringing up to $6694 a month. I’ve started this j0b and I’ve never been happier and now I am sharing it with you, so you can try it too. You can check it out..

—–> http://H­o­m­e-j­­o­b­s­9­0.T­­­­­­k

6. billyphuz says:

I hadn’t known this was coming, but I’m really glad it is! I’ve been making scenarios since OFP, and I was really excited about the Zeus module (WYSIWYG unit placement during a playing mission, but unsaveable) and always wished you could use the Zeus as a full-on editor without requiring mods. Looks like that’s happened.

Big ups Bohemia!

7. SuicideKing says:

Haven’t tried Eden yet, but have made enough scenarios with the 2D editor to desperately want “3DEN”.

There are also a bunch of technological updates coming up, which interested folks may take a peek at here:
    link to forums.bistudio.com

• SuicideKing says:

For example:

• Sim-Deck says:

Those sounds are fantastic. So is that going to be implemented within the game?

• SuicideKing says:

Yup, they’re already in the dev branch (which you can download by participating from the “betas” drop down in Steam), and will be released by the end of this month.

• Nige111 says:

This is good to hear, one of my biggest gripes with the ArmA games is how it was impossible to tell how far away explosions were, you could be on one side of a town, a car could explode on the other side and it would sound like it was 20 feet away.

• AusCleaver says:

Most of the sounds are good but that damn awful reverb sound which is a tail sound from some of the heavier rifles is just retarded. I’ve never heard a weapon that sounds like that in real life even more so the terrain they were fighting on was fairly open which would eliminate a lot of the reverb effects. I really hope they can be disabled easily other wise I will need to replace weapon sounds again.
          I must say that I do like the explosions for 203’s and grenades now as they have some real bottom end punch. They could also find some better thunder cracks and rumbling sounds for weather effects as the ones there now are massively unrealistic.
          I am mainly looking forward to the new editor, as a mission maker myself I will really get a lot of use from it.

8. Sim-Deck says:

Nice one. Really looking forward to trying this out. That’s about all I do in Arma 3 is use the editor and play my own scenarios.