Dark Souls III: Ashes Of Ariandel DLC Coming In October

We’ve known that two big story add-ons were coming to Dark Souls III [official site] and now the first is officially announced. Ashes of Ariandel will send the Ashen One to a new land to do the usual stuff: fight new monsters, duff up new bosses, jab at new lore, put on new hats, and learn a few new magic tricks. It’ll launch on October 25th and, until then, here’s a trailer introducing Ariandel:

“Unkindled One, if you are – like us – a forlorn soul with no place to call your own,” begins the trailer’s voiceover, and I half-expected it to roll into the Cheers theme song.

As for what’s in the DLC, publishers Bandai Namco say:

“Players are tasked to enter the land of Ariandel and defeat the evil within to uncover the mystery of what has caused the land to become defiled. In addition to adding a new environment to Dark Souls III, the Dark Souls III: Ashes of Ariandel expansion will also include new weapons, armor sets, and magic for players to discover and experiment with, as well as new features for the game’s wildly popular competitive multiplayer mode.”

I don’t know about that “wildly popular” multiplayer claim but the rest seems fairly matter-of-fact: it’s more Dark Souls III.

Given that the DLC season pass, covering both this and the other pack, costs £19.99/24,99€/$24.99, I’d expect Ashes of Ariandel to be, what, £12-15 by itself?

Dark Souls III is also on sale right now on Steam, with a 33% discount bringing it to £26.79/40,19€/$40.19.

Don’t worry, gang, I’m sure I’ve managed to catch almost every typo mentioning Andariel or Andraste. Thanks, fantasy RPGs.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Metalfish says:

The consensus seems to be that the PvP aspect has suffered for the sake of the PvE (as well as it should, if there’s no choice, I guess). Something about rolls being too spammable and a few fairly vanilla weapons overshadowing all the others in viability, I think?

Anyway, interesting to see some familiar faces in there. Challenge runs, perchance?

• Suits says:

Nah, almost everything is viable, this isn’t some MLG thing. Only you are likely to see many players wield the same stuff if they are playing through story.

• The Algerian says:

As you implied, still better than the other way around, which is what DS2 did, which is the only game in the series I can’t stand.

• SlimShanks says:

I personally feel that PvP in DS 3 is awful. It’s just a shell of it’s former glory. I miss stamina punishing, poise, proper stunlocking, armor that matters, and most of all I miss build variety. At least they fixed BS fishing.

2. fish99 says:

Odd to see Nameless King, Aldrich and Lothric in the trailer, seemingly in their regular boss rooms, so probably not part of the DLC. Also a cleric beast reskin.

Looks good though.

• scannerbarkly says:

That was The Consumed King, Ocerios from the main game.

• LTK says:

All those bosses might be in the trailer because they have a connection to Ariandel. I can’t think of any other reason why they would be in it.

• eclipse mattaru says:

Someone at reddit made the point that all those bosses are related to the royal family (except for Aldrich, but he’s eating Gwyndolin, so…), which might or might not be A CLUE?

3. TheAngriestHobo says:

I’d play a Cheers video game.

Vandelay says:

Little disappointed that they didn’t eventually say “actually, we are going to make both planned DLCs into onegiant DLC,” as they did with Bloodborne. This makes me think I might just wait until next year for the other bit to drop and play both. I enjoyed DS3 a lot, but not sure a I will want to play it through 2 more times so quickly.

Another playthrough of the original could easily fill the time for the wait.

• fish99 says:

That’s why I left both my characters in NG.

• Suits says:

Well Dark Souls 1 had one DLC and Dark Souls 2 had three DLCs, so I guess they settle in the middle this time.

5. LTK says:

It seems pretty obvious that Ariandel is the name given to the Painted World of Ariamis from the first game. There’s a lot of untold stories there, I’m looking forward to seeing what they do with it.

• Monggerel says:

The trailer did strongly remind me of Ariamis, which was cool part of DS I, so that’s good.

On the other hand, I was really disappointed in Dark Souls III and in fact consider it to have been inferior to DS II overall, so I probably won’t bother with the DLC unless it has some tupsy-turvy twists and bosses to make me shit my asshole inside out.

• FreshHands says:

Hear, hear!

(best be hush about this, people have been sent to the stake for much less)

6. Symarian says:

This game has been sitting in my library since its launch, untouched. Finally finished the Witcher in its entirety, DLC and all, so I guess there’s no excuse to not plunge in now.

7. rroose says:

Well, I’m definitely excited about the dlc, but damn that was a boring trailer.

8. Suits says:

It’s inhabitants kind?

9. mercyRPG says:

So boring. Skipped trailer at middle, nice icy mist and wind effects. Otherwise picked absolutely no interest.

10. Maxheadroom says:

Love the games. Finished every Souls-Bourne (extremely rare for someone of my age/schedule/attention span) but never felt inclined to play any of the DLCs from any of them.

Am I missing much?
    For me DLC of this nature just feels akin to the deleted scenes or directors commentary you get on films – a curiosity but not worth digging the DVD out the back of the cupboard for once you’ve watched, enjoyed and moved on from the main film.

• Admiral Aitchbar says:

I can’t think of a single Souls-Borne DLC that isn’t worth it. Artorias of the Abyss has always felt like part of the first one; the three crowns were the best part of Dark Souls 2; and the Old Hunters is maybe the finest piece of DLC out of them all. If you love the games, I think you’re missing some of their best bits by not playing the DLC.

If you do decide to play them, I really recommend when it comes to DS2 you go for Scholar of the First Sin, it remixes the original game and adds the DLC in naturally. It’s basically a Director’s Cut.

• Maxheadroom says:

Actually I did almost buy Scholar of the First Sin, but when I finished Dark Souls 2 I accidently went into New Game+ meaning to get to the DLC content Id have to play through the main game again virtually in its entirety

NG+ is something else I’ve never bothered with. AS much as I enjoy them, the idea of spending another 30-40 hours doing it all again with slightly different items or enemy placement just doesn’t appeal

I’m quite a picky fan now I actually think about it :)

basilisk says:

NG+ runs are much faster than that. By then you’re familiar with the layout of the levels and with all the monsters, and can often beeline straight to the (amped up) boss; it’s a quite different experience than playing it for the first time.

And DS1 with the Master Key allowed some massive sequence breaking, so on NG+, it’s relatively easy to get to Anor Londo within half an hour without any speedrunning trickery.

• Bury The Hammer says:

Despite loving the games, I’ve never played much of the DLC properly. Completed DS1 before properly exploring the DLC – did a couple of bosses – realised I’d have to get quite far to get to the DLC again (there was no option to proceed to NG+ or not!). With DS2 I didn’t buy the DLC – but got reasonably far through Scholar of the First Sin when i bought that at a discount, just not far enough.

Thing is, I’m currently addicted to Overwatch and Infinifactory, and have to organise both moving house and a massive holiday. Difficult to justify going back and doing them properly (yes, boo hoo, it’s a tough life).

Absolutely love what I’ve read of the lore of Artorias of the Abyss, so I’m in no doubt they’re all great.

HothMonster says:

Bloodborne and DS1’s DLC are amazing and defiantly worth being played. Both ended up being my favorite parts of their respective games.

Benratha says:

OK, I’m going to be picky. But, Mr Bandai Namco, if you are going to include a Union Flag badge on your video introduction thingy can you please make sure it is oriented correctly? See Wikipedia [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Jack#Specification]

12. The Algerian says:

You can start without me, I’m still stuck at the Boreal Dancer.