Podcast: The RPS Electronic Wireless Show returns! Listen to us talk Far Cry 5, Prey and Old Man’s Journey

Hark! It’s the sound of our sweet voices taking up an hour of your precious time. The RPS podcast of old, the Electronic Wireless Show, has returned in a fresh new body. We’ve got news, interviews and silly features, as well as some of the traditional idle chat.

This week, Pip, Adam and I are chatting about Far Cry 5‘s “Last Supper” image, the recent layoffs at Hitman developer IO Interactive, and enjoying a jaunt through melancholy puzzler Old Man’s Journey. There’s also some Quickfire Questions with the developers of survival puzzler Rain World, news from Paradox Con and lots more.

You can listen above on Soundcloud or download it for later. You can also find it very soon on iTunes, Stitcher or Pocket Casts. There’s even music in it by Jack de Quidt. We spare no expense.

Links and info:

Far Cry 5’s “Last Supper” art

Far Cry 5 trailers and info

Layoffs at Hitman devs IO as Square Enix ditch studio

Rain World review

Prey review

Old Man’s Journey review

1. corroonb says:

Are you going to do this regularly? Any chance of getting John or Alec involved?

I’d love to have a videogame podcast to listen to from this side of the Atlantic. The Eurogamer one isn’t​ very good and is highly irregular.

• Vandelay says:

I highly recommend the Crate and Crowbar. It even occasionally features Pip, although I would assume that might be less often if the Electronic Wireless Show actually does manage to get beyond its first episode or two (previous attempts have not fared well.)

Only problem with it is that it can be very long sometimes (a few episodes have pushed 3 hours, of late) so probably something to consume in a couple of sittings.

• corroonb says:

I’ll check out the Crate and Crowbar. It sounds interesting.

kfix says:

Recommendation seconded. The increasing time correlates with increasing alcohol consumption (by the cast and by the listener in my case) so it does get more entertaining as the hours roll by.

• Crusoe says:

If you dislike irregular, you’ll positively despise the RPS podcast

Grizzly says:

Both the Crate and Crowbar podcast and the Daft Souls podcast (From the lads over at Cool Ghosts) are really good, in my opinion. C&C has had Philippa and Graham starring in it, and Daft Souls involves the lovely Matt Lees and another well known Smith.

Also, I too would love to see a more regular RPS pod!

Graham Smith says:

Other people will cycle in to the pod, either as a fourth person for a particular conversation or to sit in when Pip, Brendan or Adam are unavailable.

And the idea is that this will be weekly. There should even be a second episode later this week, all being well.

Tkrens says:

This is THE BEST. Please keep doing these! Sorry I don’t have any insightful commentary but I just want the RPS staff to know this is really appreciated. I love podcasts and I love RPS so this is like, well, THE BESTEST OF BESTS. Sorry, someone stole my thesaurus and this is the best I can do. (I can’t find the words to express how frustrated I am by this theft)

3. Person of Interest says:

Are you able to resurrect any of the old RPS podcasts that were hosted on link to rps.libsyn.com (from the “podcast” link in the footer)?

4. gwathdring says:

That was lovely. :D The intro and outro music was particularly lovely!

5. NetharSpinos says:

Marvellous. A real treat to listen to whilst playing Stellaris, I will most certainly be tuning in again! (despite your efforts to destroy the RPS fanbase.)

That bit at the end, though. The utterance of Sacrilege? Genuinely drew a gasp of horror from me.

Baldur’s Gate was a wonderful game, YOU CAN’T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME

• gwathdring says:

I bounced off it hard. I love turn based tactics but boy did Baldur’s Gate fall flat for me. Even on easy settings it felt capricious and muddy and the story didn’t do anything for me, but I’ll be nice and presume it gets better if you enjoy the mechanics.

burn_heal says:

Great episode!

My game that I would like to get into is Civilization (or Civ-likes in general). I’ve tried Alpha Centauri, Civ IV and Endless Legend but none of them have stuck. This is surprising because I like strategy games in general and it’s hard to find a more beloved strategy series than Civ. I found it hard to get excited about the decisions I was making early on, and got disinterested. I’ll pick it up again at some point though. I think I might just have to push on and finish a game entirely then perhaps the early stages will make more sense.

• Zorgulon says:

That’s interesting, because with the Civ series, I feel the more common complaint is that the late game is where players begin to lose interest.

If the early part of the game is what you’re struggling with in Civ IV, it’s possible that Civ VI will do better at enticing you in. With it’s more map-focussed gameplay, the early exploration and expansion phases have a few more interesting decisions to be made compared to previous entries in the series.

It’s not a perfect game by any means (it is steadily improving with each patch), but I believe there is a free demo. It’s certainly a fresh enough instalment that it’s worth giving the series another try.

kfix says:

Hooray! Great to see this back. Too much Pip is never enough, but how many different podcasts can you do?

8. dangermouse76 says:

Listened and loved this. Great to see a regular podcast arrive.

DuncUK says:

Call me old fashioned, but I still use RSS based podcast utilities. Is there any way to subscribe to this via RSS? I can’t extract a feed URL from any of those links above.

10. Pravin Lal's Nuclear Arsenal says:

So, early feedback time! Are you excited? What did you say? I can’t hear you!
    No, I mean it, I can’t hear Brendan or his accent. Pip was, by far, the loudest, Adam sounded ok, Brendan was pretty much inaudible for me.

11. Scandalon says:

Request:Publish on Google Play (Music/Podcasts/whatever). The soundcloud android app sucks in a couple ways, but mostly it doesn’t pause the audio when navigation kicks in.

12. skyturnedred says:

I no longer trust anyone’s opinion in the RPS team.

13. Papageno says:

Hello RPS Gentlefolk, Enjoyed the show (BTW what part of Britain is Pip’s accent from?). BTW: Some help with the Spanish:
    Question Time = Hora de preguntas
    Reader questions = Preguntas de los lectores
    Hope this helps!
    –a trilingual Yank

14. Hybrid Salmon says:

Any plans on doing live podcasts?

15. PharaohAtem says:

This is GREAT! Love you guys. It would be a shame if this was not a regular thing.
    I think the Crusader Kings storytelling should be posted on the site so other people could enjoy it, those long posts about what stories you had withing the games are always good.
    PS: Pip, just praise the sun and never give up on trying to defeat the Capra Demon.

reitrop says:

I would like to sincerely thank Rock Paper Shotgun for producing a video game podcast that DOES NOT include a chiptune opening song. I’m sick of that cliché.

Oh and great podcast!