Dreamfall Chapters fancied up with The Final Cut

Chop chop.

The saga of The Longest Journey is now well and truly over, now that the adventure series’s final instalment Dreamfall Chapters [official site] has received a ‘Final Cut’. This free update brings Dreamfall Chapters PC into line with the console versions, which were released later and fancier. Features of The Final Cut include “improved” graphics and sound, performance boosts, bug fixes, and neat bonuses like playable “deleted scenes.”

The update launched over the weekend, hitting Dreamfall Chapters on Steam, GOG, and Humble. The game is still on sale on GOG to celebrate this, down 40% to £11.39.

Developers Red Thread Games blast the patch notes thusly:

Change log

• Improved art and sound, including new and revised character models, improved lighting, an expanded soundtrack, remastered voice-overs and reworked sound effects
  • Improved performance
  • Improved controller support
  • Improved German and French localisation
  • Support for save slots
  • Updated Unity game engine
  • A HUGE amount of smaller bug fixes (seriously, the list is too long to post here)

Additional features include

• Playable deleted scenes!
  • Character library
  • Concept art gallery
  • In-game map

This is likely the very final bit of Dreamfall/The Longest Journey (well, perhaps unless it turns out to have some awful surprise bugs that demand fixing). Red Thread have raised the idea of making The Longest Journey Home, a proper follow-up to the game our John called the second-best adventure game, but that looks unlikely.

“The Longest Journey Home will probably never happen,” creator Ragnar Tørnquist‏ said on Twitter in 2016. “At least not for a long, long time.”

How’s the journey been for you, gang?

1. GenialityOfEvil says:

The “deleted scenes” aren’t that in the typical sense that they didn’t make it to release originally. They’re scenes that were cut from earlier versions of the game.

2. Jack says:

So when I saw the game on sale and clicked on it I noticed my brother had owned the game for a very long time.
    Since he is on vacation and we have family shared libraries I decided to try it for now.
    After completing the first book I find the game very underwelming and kind of wish to read opinions by people who did like it.

This article doesn’t include any opinions just details so hoping there may be some dudes in the comments that like it.

zapatapon says:

I was a backer of the kickstarter, and thought DC was a big letdown. The best I can say is that Tørnquist is excellent at creating a sense of place. But he squanders it all because apparently he is unable to filter his own ideas. As a result the story becomes a big mess, packed with too many threads that don’t follow through, overwrought with layers upon layers of cosmic mythos and oh-so important “philosophical” themes which end up stifling the development of characters. The writing is also often hamfisted. I actually liked the comparatively slow pace and mood building of the first books better, but completely stopped caring towards book 3.

• GenialityOfEvil says:

It also kinda has the Assassin’s Creed problem of being way more into the secondary world (Abstergo/Marcuria) than it deserves. The cyberpunk story is quite good, but it gets shoved out by book 3.

• Hidden Thousand says:

@ zapatapon
        Ah, thank you, you’ve worded very nicely almost all of the feelings I had after finishing Dreamfall, and those feeling got only stronger when I tried DC.

TLJ seems like a very personal story now, something very good created more in spite of whatever constraints Tørnquist might have had at the time. After the first playthrough I wasn’t exactly happy about some aspects of the story. It took years and, alas, Dreamfall, to show me that what I thought could have been tied up and/or explained better in TLJ is fine as it is. And music there was, to me, less straightforward.

Don Reba says:

It is fairly underwhelming. Consider also that the first book is close to the high point of the game — it takes a dive after the second.

3. TomxJ says:

I swear everytime i play this damn thing they’ve wiggled it about again.

Maybe this time I’ll get more than a few hours into it.

4. Michael Manning says:

I really enjoyed the game up until a character called Enu was introduced who I just couldn’t handle and who was a big part of the chapter where I stopped. I think she was supposed to be funny.

A silly reason to stop playing a game I guess. It’s not fair of me to be so irritated by one character out of a big cast so here’s a good excuse to start over and give it another whack

5. DinoSteak says:

Giving this one a 3rd try, which I’d never do with a game that wasn’t from TLJ universe…we’ll see how it goes.

So far the model work they’ve done is cleaned up, of course now everyone’s hair looks like molded play-doh. Texture work looks better on the whole, I can still spot seams near doors leading to game engine oblivion, which I remember bothered me on my first attempt…so yeah that’s still there. The game *still* runs like poop, which is a little mind numbing considering it’s been reworked and performance issues were like the #1 complaint. There’s next to nothing going on graphically, and yet I have to run it at 1080p and a mix of med/high settings.

I’m going to finish it this time, I swear!

6. RobinOttens says:

I recently finished this game and loved it. It’s a good close to this decades long series. Has some good twists and neat puzzles and lovely dialogue writing and environments throughout. I’ve never been more than a casual Longest Journey fan though; they’re ok adventure games with great writing and art. This one is also that.

Cutscene animations are a bit stiff, and it could have used some more puzzles or something other than walk around and chat/watch cutscenes. I would have liked some more focus in the final chapters on the personal, human side of the story, which has always been the best part of this series. But the rest of the experience was good enough to make up for all that. I think so anyways.

There’s some game mechanics in here that I’d love to see become standard for conversation-heavy games. Specifically hearing your character’s thoughts on the different dialogue choices is really neat!

Don’t really feel the urge to go back for this final cut, but it’s nice that they put in the effort.

Now let’s wait another decade for Longest Journey Home! #neverlosehope #sorryforthehashtag

7. brucethemoose says:

Any tips to get the performance up?

I really don’t want to drop my res, but at first glance, the other settings don’t seem to make much of a difference.

EDIT: Actually turning SSAO off helps quite a bit.

Ninja Dodo says:

I played it on PC before the Final Cut so I can’t speak to the new changes but I very much enjoyed the game on release.

As someone who was not super happy about the cliffhanger ending of the original Dreamfall, Chapters did what I wanted: It resolved the story in a satisfying way, while letting you explore more of the world and reunite with old friends and protagonists. It adds some great new places (Propast is a solid cyberpunk city hub) and characters (Enu, Saga, Shepard, Mira). The game both learns from others in the genre (eg Walking Dead) but also has some good design ideas of its own like the thinking-out-loud of dialogue options already mentioned above and it does some cool stuff with choices.

It is not without flaws. I found Marcuria a bit less interactive than Propast and there are a few puzzles that don’t make much sense or are just a bit frustrating (but hey it wouldn’t be an adventure game without that). Also there are parts, especially towards the end, where there is not much to do and you’re mainly just pushing the story forward. The animation is very sparse which can distract a bit from the vocal performance and writing… It seems they didn’t have the budget to do full facial animation for the conversations. Otherwise the art direction is really nice though. Great atmosphere.

I don’t know if I would recommend it to someone who hasn’t played either TLJ or Dreamfall because you’ll miss a lot of context and built up emotional investment in the characters (though I’ve seen comments from people unfamiliar with it who enjoyed it anyway), but if you like the series you should really play this.

Big Dunc says:

Ah, so that explains the random 8gb download yesterday!

10. somnolentsurfer says:

I booted up after the patch and it looks a bit nicer. I can’t face all of it again right now though. I put a ton of money into the Kickstarter, and I really enjoyed the first episode. Then Life is Strange came out and showed how episodic adventuring should be done, and the rest of if felt a bit of a drag.

Carra says:

I adored the original game. Dreamfall was a very good game too, played it only a few years ago but it kept up nicely.
    The chapters? Sigh, they’re not very good. Finished the first two or three but haven’t really been wanting to go back to the game to finish the rest.

Comment on this story