The saga of The Longest Journey is now well and truly over, now that the adventure series’s final instalment Dreamfall Chapters [official site] has received a ‘Final Cut’. This free update brings Dreamfall Chapters PC into line with the console versions, which were released later and fancier. Features of The Final Cut include “improved” graphics and sound, performance boosts, bug fixes, and neat bonuses like playable “deleted scenes.”The update launched over the weekend, hitting Dreamfall Chapters on Steam, GOG, and Humble. The game is still on sale on GOG to celebrate this, down 40% to £11.39.
Developers Red Thread Games blast the patch notes thusly:
- Improved art and sound, including new and revised character models, improved lighting, an expanded soundtrack, remastered voice-overs and reworked sound effects
- Improved performance
- Improved controller support
- Improved German and French localisation
- Support for save slots
- Updated Unity game engine
- A HUGE amount of smaller bug fixes (seriously, the list is too long to post here)
Additional features include
- Playable deleted scenes!
- Character library
- Concept art gallery
- In-game map
This is likely the very final bit of Dreamfall/The Longest Journey (well, perhaps unless it turns out to have some awful surprise bugs that demand fixing). Red Thread have raised the idea of making The Longest Journey Home, a proper follow-up to the game our John called the second-best adventure game, but that looks unlikely.
“The Longest Journey Home will probably never happen,” creator Ragnar Tørnquist said on Twitter in 2016. “At least not for a long, long time.”
How’s the journey been for you, gang?