Tom Clancy vs. Predator: Wildlands introduces movie monster

Ubisoft’s Ghost Recon Wildlands this week introduces the Predator to the sandbox stealth-o-shooter. Yes, Predator, like the movies about headhunting aliens. Players will get to fight a Predator in a special challenge as well collect and use Predator items. As odd as this may be, it does make Wildlands more interesting to me as I’ll take a monster mash over oh-so-serious imperialist fantasy any day. And the Predators and Ghosts do have a lot in common: they both enjoy sneaking around jungles, casually slaughtering anyone they consider beneath themselves.

The crossover kicks off tomorrow, Thursday. In solo and cooperative play, Ghosts will get to fight the Predator themselves. Ubisoft say this is “the most difficult fight” in the game. Well, that fella can turn invisible, blast zapballs, see in all spectrums, and pop those natty wristknives. Preying upon the Predator will net players themed items, including his magical mask. This ‘Special Challenge’ will be available until some time in “early January”.

Ubisoft have also made the ‘Predator Pack’, a load of cosmetic doodads and weapons that I’d assume will be paid DLC?

Over in the competitive Ghost War mode, one of the two new classes arriving with the ‘Jungle Storm’ update on Thursday is inspired by Arnie’s character in the original Predator. He’ll have a ‘Battle Rage’ mode, which I hope makes him shout whenever he’s firing a gun.

That Ghost War update will also add Ranked play and another new class, the crossbow-packing Pathfinder.

Anyway. Predator! Good, yeah? I’d go for a Wildlands that was more Predator-y. Make this permanent. Let folks play 4v1 Ghosts vs. Predator. Make the Predator a playable sandbox character. Hell, make him the main character. Let’s have a sandbox game about Predators hunting Ghosts.

1. N'Al says:

Only Arnie gets to say “If it bleeds we can kill it.”

• Fnord73 says:

Any Arnold-ripoff should have the “man on trampoline” killscene. We used to smoke weed and count those back in the days. “Boom, there they fly!” Commando was the clear winner.

• Morat Gurgeh says:

I ain’t got time to bleed

2. Creeping Death says:

“they both enjoy sneaking around jungles, casually slaughtering anyone they consider beneath themselves.”

Not really the predator’s thing, but OK.

Also why is the single player mission a timed thing? And one without an exact end date as well. That’s a terrible idea.

• master thief says:

Nonrecurring limited-time events in single-player games are INFURIATING. Their purpose is to give an incentive to people, who’d usually buy a single-player game on a sale a year or two later, to buy it earlier at full price. They also fuck over people who bought the game on release, but didn’t have the time to partake in the event.

keithzg says:

Worth noting that the recent Hitman release fixes that aspect of the game (I feel particularly like noting that because I really hope IO Interactive stays in business). I missed a ton of the “elusive targets” by buying the game late, and the paid DLC update post-spinoff of the company adds the ability to play those missions now on demand.

Mungrul says:

Not so; they have re-activated the elusive targets, starting from the first, and each is around for a week. Once that week is gone, so is the elusive target.

subdog says:

An enemy that can see you through cover and thick foliage from long distances? That doesn’t sound like Wildlands at all!

4. Byrnghaer says:

I guess they COULD fuck up Ghost Recon even more than they already did. Just, wow. Man, I miss the glory days of the original.

5. Juan Carlo says:

They are still making games with Tom Clancy’s name attached? He’s been dead for 5 years now. It seems a little morbid.

That said, a predator mod for the original 1990s era “Rainbow Six” would be awesome.

• Creeping Death says:

Ubisoft bought Tom Clancy’s name almost 10 years ago now. They can slap it on anything they want for… well, ever.

6. Nacery says:

An spec ops team is sent to a South American jungle to deal with a group of narcos only to discover that both factions are being hunted by an alien hunter seeking for the ultimate prey.

Sounds like a nice premise for a Predator film to me.

7. Partialist says:

This really makes me want to play, but ‘available until some time in “early January”’… ffs.

8. Carcer says:

Ghost Recon is a game about being a spec ops team trying to dismantle a drug cartel which only exists because of American/European demand for cocaine, arming a rebel militia which inevitably turns on you at the end of the day, and ending on the sorry observation that even though you may have defeated one enemy, you’ve not really done anything to improve the condition of the country in the long run. I’m not going to argue it’s tremendously well-written and insightful but it’s difficult to see it as a glowing review of western foreign policy or “imperialist power fantasy”.

• PachPachis says:

I agree, Carcer. It’s clumsily told but does attempt a deconstruction in the telling.

• Hyena Grin says:

It was a game that wanted to have its cake and eat it too. It wanted to have you nakedly partake in the worst parts of American Imperialism, while deconstructing it purely through dialogue that never impacts the narrative in a meaningful way.

Obviously it was not a nuanced or very good deconstruction. A good example of doing a similar deconstruction might be Spec Ops: The Line, which went well out of its way to integrate its deconstruction into the narrative and gameplay. GR:W didn’t earn any merit points for merely mentioning that stuff is bad (while rotely doing it anyway), and not having a ra-ra-America ending. I get that, and it’s a valid criticism. You have to work harder to really get props.

But at the same time, it objectively wasn’t a flagrant and transparent imperialist propaganda piece if you take into account every scrap of content. It fell squarely into the space between those two points.

• Chaz says:

I’ve been playing through it with a mate or two and we’ve hardly given the story any consideration at all. To us it’s just a fun open world shooter game. We don’t even read the mission briefs half the time.

“Mission Failed”…. “Oh we had to capture this guy, not kill him!”

9. Hyena Grin says:

I guess this might just be me, but I am a little annoyed that GR:W went off in a weird direction. The weird narco stuff in the DLC, and now the weird predator stuff. It just feels wrong.

It wasn’t a game I wanted weird from.

• Chaz says:

I think it’s pretty cool and I’m looking forward to taking the old Predator on.

At the end of the day, the game is barely a hop skip and a jump away from the over the top excesses of Just Cause. In fact many of the cut scenes remind me of it so much, I half expect to be able to grapple hook my way around afterwards. GRW is not a serious rooted in reality game by any stretch of the imagination.

• Hyena Grin says:

Having played both games, I can’t say I agree with your comparison, and I wonder if we watched the same cutscenes. But hey, whatevs. To each their own.

Not that GR:W is a terribly serious game, it just wasn’t for a lack of trying. It’s more that it was hard to take seriously for a bunch of unintended reasons.

Doesn’t mean that I don’t (or shouldn’t) think they should’ve taken it in a more serious direction.

• Chaz says:

Well the cheesy interrogation scenes after you capture and bring folks in remind me very much of the similar ones from JC2 (haven’t played 3). There’s a lot here that’s very similar to the JC series, like the way you can just call in equipment from your contact, and poof! It magically appears.

I’m not sure this game ever intended to be very serious. You only have to watch the little biopic videos and stuff to see that. Plus all the over the top constructions and what have you around the landscape. It’s got one foot very firmly in Far Cry territory.

10. Rince says:

Ok. That made me interested in the game for first time.
    Then I saw that was a timed event. No, thank you!

11. Turkey says:

Funny. It’s like my teenage wet dream of a game come to realization, but somehow I couldn’t care less.

• GameOverMan says:

That happens to me more and more these days.

• FieldyGB says:

I stumbled across the Predator in game by accident last night and have to say that the little bit of it that I experienced was done rather well. It felt organic rather than shoehorned and when the subtle musical and SFX tones from the movie started to creep in it felt right (especially as the jungle is super thick where the action takes place). If I hadnt read up on it before it would have been a very nice surprise, but even so it was tense and fun.. a very different enemy to the cartel and unidad goons, so had to change tactics (firing all over the place as per the movie)

12. Ham Solo says: