CD Projekt Red’s new studio helping on Cyberpunk 2077

CD Projekt Red, the makers of those wonderful Witcher games, today announced they have a new studio elsewhere in Poland to “bolster development” of Cyberpunk 2077. No, this announcement contains no new information on Cyberpunk – but aren’t you glad to hear Red have more people helping? I can’t think of many upcoming games I’m more jazzed for. Anyway! CD Projekt Red Wrocław, named after the city it’s in, is actually built around Strange New Things, a small studio founded by the former chief operating officer of Dying Light devs Techland.

“We’re pretty hyped to be on the spearhead of this new office,” CD Projekt Red Wrocław head (and ex-Techland COO) Paweł Zawodny said in today’s announcement. “We know Wrocław inside out and it’s an amazing place to make games. The team is strong, and I’m sure we have both the experience and the creative firepower to make Cyberpunk 2077 an even better game.”

Strange New Things formed in 2016, bringing together a number of people who between them had worked at Techland, Hitman devs IO Interactive, and even CD Projekt Red. They had been working on a game of their own, though they never reached the point of announcing it so it’s all a big mystery. Apparently they’re joining Red with 18 people.

CD Projekt Red seem to be really staffing up for Cyberpunk 2077. They’re currently hiring for fifty-odd jobs on the game, in roles ranging from artists and designers through to attention-grabbing ones like programming vehicles – including flying ones. Hovercars, baby!

Rumour has it that Red will show Cyberpunk 2077 at E3 this June, though rumours say a lot of things. For more on Cyberpunk, do read Adam’s interview with the fella who created the original pen & paper roleplaying game.

CD Projekt’s headquarters is in Warsaw and they have another studio in Krakow. The president of CD Projekt Capital Group, Adam Kiciński, said in today’s announcement that having a footing in Wrocław “will pull in people who were hesitant to move” to either of those. Wikipedia tells me that Poland has 930 cities and towns, so just 837 more studios and everyone can easily chip in on Cyberpunk 2077. Please please please.

1. kameradoktorn says:

“Creating the whole architecture of vehicle related code and the physics of driving / flying in those vehicles”

If they haven´t even started coding vehicles it sounds like the game is very far off :(

• pookie191 says:

They need the vehicles.. It isn’t cyberpunk unless you have flown an AV4 through the window of a megacorp boardroom :)

• Arkanos says:

Throw-away driving code is easy. Good arcade-y, or sim-y, code is very hard. Look at GTA4. Terrible driving code. An open-world game WITH GOOD DRIVING is unheard of.

2. Seafoam says:

Considering the amount of people theyre hiring and their job descriptions, I honestly doubt it will be on E3 this year.
    Next maybe, but even that will be alpha stuff.

• caff says:

Seems a bit odd that they are hiring 50-odd people now, over 5 years in to the project? Is that normal? From my humble experience, it takes months/years to find, employ and then train up so many people. Particularly with a studio of their calibre, I expect they want experience. So are we looking at a release date of 2077?

• brucethemoose says:

Dare I say, it smells like development hell.

Blasphemy? Well, what would you say if an EA studio was churning away on a project for 5 years before posting job openings for some core mechanic developers?

• Hoot says:

I’d say they were working under EA, a publisher known for consuming top development houses and shitting out broken ones. One also known for punishing time frames and forcing the release of games before they are ready in order to adhere to fiscal yearly milestones.

No one actually knows when production on Cyberpunk 2077 started ramping up, 5 years since the teaser trailer sure, but since then they’ve made The Witcher 3 and it’s expansions as well as GWENT (which has taken a lot of their time).

I doubt very much that Cyberpunk is in development hell, CDPR aren’t 3D Realms.

Ninja Dodo says:

The game might not be *in* development hell but development might be hell, by many accounts. CDProjekt RED does not have a good reputation for work/life balance and stable development processes and they have very high turnover.

When confronted with reports that all was not well at the studio (link to gamesindustry.biz), rather than actually address concerns about working conditions they basically just went: “Don’t worry, gamers, the game is not in trouble.”

That’s nice and all, and I am looking forward to Cyberpunk as much as the next person – Witcher 3 was amazing – but it would be good if they could take care of their employees as well.

• indigochill says:

Doesn’t seem all that odd to me. Video game production has a series of stages. Approximately, you start with a concept, which is what I speculate CDPR had at the time the trailer was released judging from the progress so far (usually trailers are released much later in the development process). Then you work on a prototype and iterate on that. So far, you usually keep your team very small for these stages because you’re just figuring out if the game will work at all. Once you’re ready, then you start hiring a full team for production. So I see the fact that they’re ramping up hiring as a sign the game’s probably been kicking around with prototypes for a while and now has been greenlit for production, which would suggest that we can expect it in the next couple of years.

All of this is just educated guessing, though.

3. Hoot says:

If they can help CDPR make Cyberpunk 2077 as good as The Witcher 3 then I honestly don’t care how long it takes them.

4. caff says:

I’m super-hyped for this. I’m a huge Bladerunner/cyberpunk nerd, and everything about the promo videos has me pumped up like a fleshy organism grown in an backstreet laboratory with a flashing neon sign out the front.

5. brucethemoose says:

I can’t think of many upcoming games I’m more jazzed for.

Do we even know much about the game itself? It could be a card game with RPG elements and some driving, for all we know.

Probably isn’t, but it would be absolutely hilarious to see CDPR release a hearthstone competitor after all this hype.

6. Alien says:

Has there been a single in-game screenshot been released in the 5 years of development?

7. kud13 says:

CDPRED is the new posterchild for “When it’s done” (TM)

And I’m okay with that. They earned my trust, I’m gonna continue indirectly supporting them to (through GOG) and wait for them to deliver.

God knows, my backlog is long enough to probably last me until 2027 even if Cyberpunk never comes out.

8. Mawh says:

Just for the anecdote, Wrocław is pronounced “Vrotswaff”.

9. ZippyLemon says:

Come on guys, Valve are responsible for Half Life, Half Life 2, and Portal. I think they’ve earned the benefit of the doubt.

10. April March says:

Oh man. Can you imagine naming a company Strange New Things in 2016, only so now everyone thinks it’s a reference to that one thing everyone likes?

11. yo says:

mmmm it will tank. This will be their Too Human and they’ll be undone.

Comment on this story