Rampart may not be the most popular Legend, but she's definitely capable of surprising players with her unique skillset. A defence-oriented Legend with the ability to create her own cover and increase her team's damage potential, there's plenty to love about Rampart if you can play her correctly. This Apex Legends Rampart guide will walk you through each of her abilities, with practical top tips on how to use them effectively.
On this page:
- Apex Legends Rampart guide: strengths & weaknesses
- Rampart abilities overview
- Modded Loader tips (Passive)
- Amped Cover tips (Tactical)
- Emplaced Minigun "Sheila" tips (Ultimate)
- How to play Rampart - top tips and tricks
Apex Legends Rampart guide: strengths & weaknesses
Rampart, on the whole, is criminally overlooked by the Apex Legends playerbase. She's far from a beginner-friendly Legend, and her skillset at first glance is situational and underwhelming. But if you can master her, you can cause an unbelievable amount of trouble for enemy teams.
The real reason to play as Rampart is her Amped Cover tactical, which can be used freely to zone an area, create cover out of nowhere, and increase the damage potential of your entire team. It's even useful in close-quarters indoor engagements for its ability to block doors at a moment's notice.
Sheila, Rampart's minigun, is cumbersome to use but can absolutely melt enemies and halt team pushes before they've even begun. The trick to playing as Rampart is to see the battlefield as a series of opportunities for good minigun and Amped Cover placement which will see your team to victory after victory.
Rampart abilities overview
Let's go through each of Rampart's abilities one by one, with explanations on what each one does and how to use them effectively.
- Passive: Modded Loader - Increased magazine capacity and faster reloads when using LMGs and the Minigun.
- Tactical: Amped Cover - Build a crouch-cover wall, which deploys a full-cover amped wall that blocks incoming shots and amps outgoing shots (Max: 5).
- Ultimate: Emplaced Minigun "Sheila" - Place a mounted machine gun that anyone can use. High ammo capacity, long reload time (Max: 3).
Passive ability: Modded Loader
Modded Loader is one of the most lacklustre abilities in the entire Apex Legends abilities arsenal, sad to say. This passive will increase the magazine sizes of LMGs and the Minigun by 15%, and decreases their reload times by 25%.
Not much to talk about here. It's pleasant enough if you happen to like using LMGs like the Devotion, L-Star, and Spitfire, but as a passive it ranks pretty low in terms of overall usefulness compared with most other characters.
Tactical ability: Amped Cover
Rampart's Tactical ability allows her to place down a half-height barrier. In the first 3 seconds of its lifetime, the barrier spawns an amped barrier above it, which blocks incoming shots (until destroyed) and increases the damage of outgoing shots by 20%.
Here are our top Amped Cover Tactical tips for Rampart:
- While up to five Amped Covers can be in play at a time per Rampart, you only hold a max of 3 charges at a time. Undamaged cover can be picked up to restore a charge.
- Deploy Amped Cover in a doorway to help fortify an indoor location, or protect yourself while pushing towards an indoor enemy. You can retrieve the Cover with a single tap and immediately pass through it, giving you the power to control the engagement.
- The top portion can be passed through by character bodies, meaning the cover can be vaulted through by both allies and enemies. This limits the value of Amped Cover in close quarters situations.
- The orientation of the barrier matters hugely, because the barrier can only be shot through from one side. Purple cover protects you, while orange cover leaves you vulnerable.
- The top and bottom halves of the Amped Cover have different health pools. The top has 175 health and the bottom has 400 health.
- Enemies can view the health of the energy barrier portion thanks to an icon made up of hexagons which disappear with damage dealt. Each hexagon is worth 25 health.
Ultimate ability: Emplaced Minigun "Sheila"
Rampart's Ultimate ability is to deploy "Sheila", a powerful stationary minigun, in front of her. This minigun takes time to set up, after which it can be used by anyone. Right-click to spin up the gun and left-click to fire. The gun must be spinning at full speed before you can shoot.
Here are our top Emplaced Minigun "Sheila" Ultimate tips for Rampart:
- The minigun deals very high DPS, particularly when shot through Amped Cover. You should always place Amped Cover anyway when using Sheila, because otherwise you'll be stationary and vulnerable.
- The accuracy of your shots with the minigun starts off fairly low, but increases the longer you fire. This makes Rampart the best candidate for using the minigun, because her passive gives her more time to shoot while the gun is at its most accurate.
- Aiming down sights allows you to toggle between two different zoom levels with the minigun: 1x and 3x.
- You have infinite reserve ammo with the minigun, but are limited by the magazine size of 150 (173 with Rampart's Passive).
- While considered underpowered at the moment, Rampart's Ultimate is still powerful in situations where an enemy is guaranteed to appear in front of you. If there's a chokepoint nearby, place down your minigun, fortify it with Amped Cover, and get ready.
How to play Rampart - top tips and tricks
Finally, let's finish up with some more general tips and tricks on winning Apex Legends matches as Rampart.
- Focus less on your Passive, and more on your Tactical and Ultimate. Much like characters such as Caustic and Wattson, as Rampart you need to learn to survey a battlefield for good spots to set up strong defences from which to fight.
- Rampart excels at mid-to-long-range fights. As discussed, Amped Cover is less useful in close quarters, which means Rampart is best suited for medium range encounters. Use this to influence your weapon choice. Pick up a Flatline or Sentinel and find out the damage it can caused while amped.
And that's all we've got for now on Rampart and her abilities. For more information on all the different Legends on offer, look no further than our Apex Legends characters guide.