Spell Druid is a new deck to Ashes of Outland, inspired by the strong effects of the likes of Fungal Fortunes and Glowfly Swarm.
The main goal of this deck is to get around the deck building restriction by minimising the actual minions in your deck and summoning them with spells instead. You all know Token Druid, right? This plays in a pretty similar way.
You've got a ludicrous amount of card draw in this deck too, so you'll want to be ramping up, playing spells, and repeating as much as possible. Here's how.
Spell Druid deck list and strategy
Here's the best version of Spell Druid that we're aware of right now. If it continues being part of the meta then we'll continue updating our recommended list over time.
|2 x Innervate||1 x Kael'thas Sunstrider|
|2 x Lightning Bloom|
|2 x Crystal Power|
|2 x Nature Studies|
|2 x Ironbark|
|2 x Rising Winds|
|2 x Bogbeam|
|2 x Overgrowth|
|2 x Glowfly Swarm|
|2 x Teacher's Pet|
|2 x Twilight Runner|
|2 x Guardian Animals|
|2 x Overflow|
|2 x The Forest's Aid|
|1 x Survival of the Fittest|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAZICAq66A7rQAw7+AbmUA9OcA9ulA/m1A+i6A+y6A+66A++6A5LNA5vOA5PRA97RA/DUAwA=
More great Druid guides:
- 1. Best Budget Decks - Hearthstone: Best Budget Decks for Ashes of Outland
- 2. Tier List - Hearthstone deck tier list (Ashes of Outland)
- 3. Embiggen Druid - Embiggen Druid deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 4. Token Druid - Token Druid deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 5. Treant Druid - Treant Druid deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 6. Quest Druid - Quest Druid deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
Spell Druid Mulligan guide
These are the cards you’ll want to search for in your opening hand:
- 1. Fungal Fortunes is often a great card to keep. Usually, you'll be paying 2 mana to draw 3 cards, giving you the fuel you need for the rest of the game.
- 2. Overgrowth costs 4 mana, but it'll put you in a fantastic position if you play it as early as possible, letting you whack out big spells faster.
- 3. Glowfly Swarm is the main spell you want to be getting out there early. Usually, you'll end up with a full board for just 5 mana.
This deck plays fairly similar to your standard Token Druid deck. Here's how to make it work.
Early Game: Start ramping and drawing as quickly as you can. Fungal Fortunes has a chance of drawing into Overgrowth if you don't have it already, and a big hand means Glowfly Swarm will be super effective, getting you up to 7 2/2s for 5 mana. That's 14/14 of stats.
Sometimes, this is enough to finish things off the turn after with a Savage Roar and Power of the Wild, since it's often too hard to get rid of all those 2/2 minions.
Mid Game: Even if you don't secure the early win, you have tons of ways to refuel your board and hand. For 5 mana, you can cast Force of Nature, which then discounts Aeroponics to 0 mana immediately. 5 cost spells also let you play Anubisath Defender for free, so don't forget that after playing your larger spells.
We have often found ourselves to be on the defensive after the initial push, since the likes of Demon Hunter will have dealt a fair bit of damage already. Ironbark is a great defensive tool, giving a friendly minion extra health and Taunt, often for 0 mana. Keep trading and Taunting if your enemy gets on the front foot, but go face when you can afford to.
Late Game: At the late stages, your game plan remains the same. Hopefully you've got more mana than your opponent, and a healthy hand thanks to all your card draw. Just keep getting minions out on board and hitting face - you'll eventually end up with the potential for lethal damage. Keep counting and taking into account your buffing spells like Savage Roar and Gift of the Wild for that last push for the kill.
Spell Druid tips, combos and synergies
It’s a new archetype, but an easy one to wrap your head around. Here’s the basic info to keep in mind:
- Overgrowth isn't completely useless when you're at full mana. You will get an 'excess mana' spell in hand, letting you draw a card for 0 mana. This can synergise nicely with Kael'thas Sunstrider, since the Legendary discounts every third spell to 0 mana.
- Speaking of Kael'thas Sunstrider, he works great with Bogbeam and Ironbark, given their discounts to 0 mana. Cast a couple of them, then hit the enemy with a pricy spell like Gift of the Wild or The Forest's Aid.
- Remember, Overflow heals both you and your opponent’s Heroes, so don’t accidentally put them out of lethal range.
- Don't get mixed up with Aeroponics' discount. It only works with Treants, so you won't be able to draw for free with Glowfly Swarm.
- Fungal Fortunes will discard any minions you draw. Luckily, you only have three minions in this deck - Kael'thas Sunstrider and two copies of Anubisath Defender.
- Look out for AOE damage - Soul of the Forest can give your minions that extra bit of survivability against the likes of Flame Ward.