Summoner Mage is a Hearthstone deck archetype that might well see some play in the imminent Rise of Shadows era. A number of new cards from the set directly support this format, including the Legendary Khadgar and Conjurer's Calling.
Only time will tell, of course, whether this deck has legs for the long run, but we wanted to get a quick guide up and running featuring a theorycrafted deck list and a bit of combo advice on how it all comes together.
It goes without saying that the deck list will be refined over time, and so you should avoid crafting anything too pricey in the early days of Rise of Shadows. The archetype as a whole may not make the cut either, so keep those caveats in mind.
Still, if you've drawn into the requisite cards, why not give it a go? If the deck proves popular, we'll expand on this guide with the usual strategy and Mulligan advice you've come to expect from the site. Until then, here's a quick primer to help you get started.
Summoner Mage Deck List
The following deck list was created by ReggisKillbin ahead of launch. As we've already mentioned, exercise extreme caution when crafting any of these cards - we really don't know what's in store for Summoner Mage in the long run.
|2 x Daring Fire-Eater||2 x Loot Hoarder|
|1 x Archmage Arugal||2 x Faceless Rager|
|2 x Book of Specters||2 x Twilight Drake|
|1 x Khadgar||2 x Witchwood Piper|
|2 x Conjurer's Calling||1 x Zilliax|
|2 x Messenger Raven||2 x Mechanical Whelp|
|2 x Pyromaniac||2 x Mountain Giant|
|2 x Astromancer|
|1 x Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk|
|2 x Power of Creation|
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID: AAECAf0EBMz0AgCggAOohwMNzYkDzu8C+wEAAACkhwONCKbwArT2AsP4AgDhBwA=
More great Mage guides:
- 1. Best Budget Decks - Hearthstone: Best Budget Decks for Ashes of Outland
- 2. Tier List - Hearthstone deck tier list (Ashes of Outland)
- 3. No Minion Spell Mage - No Minion Spell Mage deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 4. Highlander Mage - Highlander Mage deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 5. Dragon Mage - Dragon Mage deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
- 6. Cyclone Mage - Cyclone Mage deck list guide (Ashes of Outland)
Summoner Mage Combos
Here's how all of those cards above synergise with one another. If this deck takes off we'll have more strategy advice for you, but this should get you up to speed on the basics for launch:
- Make sure you play Daring Fire-Eater when you also have the capacity to slot in a blast of your hero power and make that double damage count.
- Archmage Arugal is a vital part of empowering cards like Twilight Drake and Mountain Giant. You only have a few spells in this deck, so your odds of fattening your hand up nicely are very good.
- There's an element of risk when it comes to playing Book of Specters, but again you've considerably more minions than spells in this deck, and so you've a good chance of gaining greater value over the long haul.
- New Legendary Khadgar doubles the summoning strength of the following cards while he's out in play: Conjurer's Calling, Astromancer, Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk and Power of Creation.
- Kill a minion with your hero power while Pyromaniac is on the board and you'll draw a card. There's potential synergy here with Daring Fire-Eater.
- The minion summoned into play by Astromancer will have a mana cost equal to the number of cards in your hand at the time.
- Make sure you've used your hero power enough times for Jan'alai, the Dragonhawk to summon Ragnaros onto the board when played.
- Twilight Drake gains an extra point of health for each card remaining in your hand when the dragon hits the board.
- In a similar vein, Mountain Giant costs one mana less for each card you're holding at the time.