Wild Secret Paladin is a deck which takes us right back to the good/bad days (depending on your perspective) of Hearthstone's Grand Tournament metagame. Once again, it's the fearsome Mysterious Challenger who rears his ugly head to create confusing carnage on the board, and flood every game with an absolute minefield of Secrets.
This where our Wild Secret Paladin guide comes in, with plenty of information on how to pilot this deadly deck to victory. We've got a breakdown of the best deck list currently in play, along with a refresher course on how to actually pilot the thing. After that we've got some essential Mulligan advice to help make sure you get off to a flying start, followed by a complete overview of all the core combos of this deck.
Editor's note - Un'Goro update: You'll need a fair few new cards to make this deck work in the Un'Goro meta, but all of these cards are rampant in Standard too - so you'll get good value in both formats. Hydrologist, Golakka Crawler, Spikeridged Steed and Sunkeeper Tarim are the key new cards in this latest version of the deck.
BREAKING NEWS! A new expansion is coming! Check out our Frozen Throne guide for all the latest information.
Wild Secret Paladin deck list and strategy - Un'Goro
We think the Wild Secret Paladin deck list below is the best one to use in the Un'Goro metagame. There are slightly different versions out there, but we think you'll find this one to be pretty consistent.
|2 x Avenge
|2 x Secretkeeper
|1 x Competitive Spirit
|2 x Golakka Crawler
|2 x Noble Sacrifice
|2 x Piloted Shredder
|1 x Redemption
|1 x Loatheb
|2 x Hydrologist
|1 x Sludge Belcher
|2 x Shielded Minibot
|1 x Dr. Boom
|2 x Muster for Battle
|1 x Rallying Blade
|1 x Wickerflame Burnbristle
|2 x Keeper of Uldaman
|2 x Mysterious Challenger
|1 x Spikeridged Steed
|1 x Sunkeeper Tarim
|1 x Tirion Fordring
Deck Import ID:
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to import this deck into your game.
Things are pretty simple in the early game, as you hope to play cards like Secretkeeper, Shielded Minibot, Hydrologist onto the board. This gives you a decent controlling presence to play with until your key card Mysterious Challenger becomes available.
You also have plenty of additional removal in the form of Rallying Blade and even Keeper of Uldaman if you need to bring an early problematic minion down to size. In the mid-game you've got sticky minions like Sludge Belcher and Piloted Shredder to keep the opponent's progress at bay.
You are, of course, doing all of this work to build a dominant board for Mysterious Challenger, Dr. Boom and Tirion Fordring to take disgusting advantage of. Once you've played the first of these cards, it's almost always sensible to focus all of your damage potential onto the opponent's health pool, and let them worry about trying to clear up the mess!
He doesn't feature in our recommended deck list, but some have found success by making room for N'Zoth, the Corruptor. Give it a try if you want to have a go with someone a little different
Wild Secret Paladin Mulligan guide - Un'Goro
Throw any Secrets back as you want them brought into play by Mysterious Challenger. Instead, hold onto cards like Secret Keeper, Muster for Battle, Hydrologist and Shielded Minibot. Against a likely Pirate-fuelled opponent you will of course also want to hold onto a Golakka Crawler
Some advocate keeping Mysterious Challenger against traditionally slower opponents like Druid and Warrior. Personally we think the risk of you running into a more aggressive version of these two heroes is quite high in the current metagame - throw him back for now to be safe.
More popular guides:
- 1. Wild Dude Paladin - Wild Secret Paladin deck list guide
- 2. Wild Midrange Paladin - Wild Midrange Paladin deck list guide
- 3. Wild Secret Paladin - Wild Secret Paladin deck list guide
- 4. Best Wild decks - The best Wild Hearthstone decks
- 5. Top Hearthstone Decks - Top Hearthstone decks
- 6. Tier List - Deck Tier List
- 7. Arena guide - Arena guide
Wild Secret Paladin tips, combos and synergies - Un'Goro
If it's been a little while since you dabbled in the delights of Secret Paladin, take a few moments to brush up on all of the core combos involved with playing this archetype.
- Muster for Battle can be combined with Sunkeeper Tarim to upset the balance of the board even further in your favour.
- When put into play, Mysterious Challenger will activate one of each kind of Secret still remaining in your deck (not your hand).
- There is natural synergy between Shielded Minibot, Wickerflame Burnbristle and the Battlecry effect of Rallying Blade. Try to get those bonus stats to trigger whenever possible, as it can provide a huge tempo swing along with the damage potential of your new weapon. Tirion Fordring is another - albeit less likely - target for this effect.
- Every time you actively put a Secret into play, every Secretkeeper on the board - including your opponent's! - gains an extra +1 / +1 of stats.
- If your opponent drops a Pirate minion onto the board, you can use Golakka Crawler to eliminate the threat and build a tidy little minion of your own.
- When you put Loatheb onto the board, your oppopent's spells will cost an extra 5 Mana on their next turn. You'll often use this to frustrate board clearing effects that you've anticipated.