Wild Token Shaman is a Hearthstone deck that's focused around building a very wide board of minor minions from the start of each match, then empowering them a huge amount with a number of powerful buffing spells available to the Shaman.
It's as popular in the Wild format as it is in Standard these days, and so you shouldn't expect to escape it by switching formats! If you're looking to transition into the less popular Wild format though, it's a nice way to get stuck into the action using something that feels very familiar.
Our guide to playing this kind of deck showcases one of the best decks in use right now, and also has some general strategy advice. We explain how to choose the right cards during the Mulligan stage, and then finish up with loads of tips and tricks about how to blend together all of the cards in this particular version of the deck.
BREAKING NEWS! A new expansion is coming! Check out our Frozen Throne guide for all the latest information.
Wild Token Shaman deck list and strategy - Un'Goro
Here's a top-tier Wild Token Shaman deck list that's getting a lot of play at the moment. Don't forget to let us know how you're getting on with it in the comments! We'd love to hear your own tips for making the most of this deck type.
|2 x Evolve
|2 x Bloodsail Corsair
|2 x Devolve
|2 x Fire Fly
|2 x Flametongue Totem
|1 x Patches the Pirate
|2 x Jade Claws
|2 x Stonehill Defender
|2 x Maelstrom Portal
|2 x Doppelgangster
|2 x Primalfin Totem
|2 x Mana Tide Totem
|2 x Jade Lightning
|2 x Bloodlust
|1 x Aya Blackpaw
|2 x Thing from Below
Select and copy the long ID string below, then create a deck in Hearthstone to export this deck into your game.
Deck Import ID:
As with so many token decks in Hearthstone, your job here is to simply build as wide a board as possible, while keeping the opponent's army of minions in check using spells and weapons. Once you've established control of the board, you then have access to quite a few buffing options.
These stat-enhancing spells turn your otherwise rather minor minions into combat powerhouses, allowing you to burst your way over the finishing line, or at the very least dig your way out of a very deep hole.
This particular version of Wild Token Shaman also makes room for a little light Jade Golem synergy. If you've not played around with this mechanic before, the first Jade Golem summoned has rather useless 1 / 1 stats, but the second has 2 / 2, the third has 3 / 3, and so on until you run out of options!
Take a look through the combo section at the bottom of this article for more detail on the many synergies that exist within our deck list. Gaining a solid understanding of these will go a long way in helping you win more matches as you climb the Wild ladder.
Wild Token Shaman Mulligan guide - Un'Goro
As we've mentioned earlier on in this guide, the most crucial task is to stop the opponent developing a meaningful board presence, while you yourself grow a wide board of small creatures. Try to spend every bit of Mana you have in the first few turns, otherwise you'll struggle to control the board.
In terms of minions, that means prioritising cards like Fire Fly and Bloodsail Corsair, the latter of which will pull Patches the Pirate into play for free if he's still in your deck pile. You should value Jade Claws highly as well, as this allows you to both take out an early target while also adding an extra Jade Golem to the board.
Against aggressive opponents you will always want to hang onto Maelstrom Portal as it's such a brutally efficient clear. Keep Devolve alongside it if it shows up as well, as this Turn 4 combo will almost certainly crush the dreams of any aggro opponent worth their salt!
More popular guides:
- 1. Wild Aggro Shaman - Wild Aggro Shaman deck list guide
- 2. Wild Control Shaman - Wild Control Shaman deck list guide
- 3. Wild Midrange Shaman - Wild Midrange Shaman deck list guide
- 4. Wild Murloc Shaman - Wild Murloc Shaman deck list guide
- 5. Wild Token Shaman - Wild Token Shaman deck list guide
- 6. Best Wild decks - The best Wild Hearthstone decks
- 7. Best Standard decks - The best Standard Hearthstone decks
- 8. Tier List - Deck Tier List
- 9. Arena guide - Arena guide
Wild Token Shaman tips, combos and synergies - Un'Goro
How do all of these cards come together in Wild Token Shaman? In the list below you'll find every card synergy that you need to know about. The better your knowledge of these, the better you'll plan out your path to victory.
- We've mentioned it already but it bears saying once more. Combining Devolve with Maelstrom Portal can be absolutely crushing, especially against aggro opponents who thought they were well ahead of the game!
- Watch your positioning of Flametongue Totem and plan where you want to drop your minions. It may be that you need to trade a few of your boosted minions off against a larger Taunt target - for example - and you'll want to cycle that stat-boost through multiple creatures.
- A recap on the Jade Golem mechanic. The first one you summon has 1 / 1 stats, the second has 2 / 2, the third has 3 / 3, the fourth has 4 / 4 - you get the picture. The following cards all interact with this mechanic, introduced with the Mean Streets of Gadgetzan expansion: Jade Claws, Jade Lightining, Aya Blackpaw.
- Don't be afraid to use Bloodlust to deal with an obstinate enemy board, especially if you're not near the finishing line. There are two of these show-stopping spells in this particular deck list, and it's better to use one if you sense a board clear is imminent.
- Thing from Below becomes one Mana cheaper for every totem you summoned earlier on in the game. Those totems can come from your hero power, or from the totem cards you play - it doesn't matter.
- As long as Patches the Pirate isn't in your hand, Bloodsail Corsair will actually bring him into play free of charge. Don't forget to use that point of damage before hitting End Turn though - it's easily done, even after all these months...!