The RPS Bargain Bucket: Cashing Out

By Lewie Procter on September 3rd, 2011 at 1:28 pm.

It’s Saturday, that can only mean one thing. Ok, I guess it means several things: Lie ins, spending the afternoon in the pub, rubbish sports on the telly. But it also means cheap games, and here they all are, waiting for you to gobble them up. If you’re still greedy for more delicious discounted gaming, you can find a feast of cheap games catalogued daily over at SavyGamer.co.uk. Here’s this week’s deals:

Delve Deeper – £1.99/€1.99/$2.49
Or pay £2.24/€2.24/$2.74 to get the Treasures and Tunnels DLC too. This is a multiplayer, turn based strategy affair, and he’s some impressions from that Kieron fella:

The key risk/reward element is cashing out. You have to actually get your gold to the surface for it to count towards your score. There’s shops beneath the surface you can take your stuff to… but they take a slice of your profits, and you don’t get healed when handing it over. So, how much do you press on? If you go too far, you won’t be able to get your stuff back, and it’ll be pointless. It’s areas like this where the make-up of your team really comes into play, with Miner’s six-slots of stuff giving much higher scoring potentials than the others. And as well as just playing against the level, there’s also the opportunity to go into your opponent.

More here.

Dungeon Siege III – £11.99/€19.99/$19.99
Alec delved into the titular Dungeon, and came out with this fully formed opinion:

Of course, for all its shortcomings I played it for hours anyway, stayed up too late, got RSI, ate only chemically-flavoured snackfoods… That’s how these things go, isn’t it? It’s a solid enough hack’n’slash game with varied environments and some inventive skills, and that certainly kept me playing – but when you can pick up something like Torchlight or Titan Quest for pennies (both of which are also far more attractive and characterful), it’s really hard to recommend dropping £30-odd on this.

£11.99 is significantly less than £30. Is it significantly less enough for you?

Fable III – £8.74/€9.99/$12.49
Bollocks to the Fable games, says I. They’re rubbish. I tried playing this particular entry, and it seemed to me that first hour is spent watching cutscenes, and completing quests like “Follow this character when they tell you too”. Lots of waiting around too. Alec’s a more patient man than I, or at least one with different tastes, since he managed to persevere to formulate a complete WIT of Fable 3, which you can read right here. He seemed to quite like it, so if you’re in the mood for pressing buttons when you’re told to, and walking somewhere when you are told to, this might be right up your street.

Burnout: Paradise [The Ultimate Box] – £3.74
Apply coupon “heaz4zhw7″.
This offer is probably quite heavily region restricted, since that seems to be the case with most Origin special offers, but I can confirm that this coupon (for 25% off anything (excluding titles released within the last four weeks, preorders, timecards, points cards and anything that’s already been discounted)) does work in the UK. All the RPS Burnout Paradise coverage you could possibly need is contained right here, and at this price it is an absolute must play.

Deal of the week
Batman: Arkham City – £20.36
Apply coupon “20SUM-MERSA-VINGS”.
Not sure what this will be discounted to in other regions, but it should be similarly cheap. Hotly anticipated vehicle for retailer exclusive content, Batman: Arkham City, is due out just next month. This has snuck up on me a bit (Likely using ceiling gargoyles to stay out of sight), but it looks like after Deus Ex has hit we’ve got many of this years biggest games all bunched up at the end of the year. There’s a catalogue of RPS coverage looking forward to Arkham City right here.

Also of note:
THQ USA promo. Spent quite a while trying to work out if these were USA only, and still couldn’t work it out. Some ace deals though.
Serious Sam Double D – £4.79/€6.39/$6.39
Dead Space 2 – £11.24. Apply coupon “heaz4zhw7″.
Digital Game Factory Promo
Call of Duty promo
Beamdog Labour day sale

Get yourself over to SavyGamer to make sure you never miss out on any of the best deals in gaming.

1. DrGonzo says:

I will offer some of my advice too then. Burnout Paradise is really poor even at that price I would say it’s a waste of money. I would recommend trying the whopping great demo of it before picking it up.

Crimsoneer says:

In Burnout’s defense, Paradise is arguably my most played game of the last 2-3 years, and it’s AWESOME when you get into the feel of it. Big demo though, just, at this price, it’s AMAZING value.
      It’s more of a pathfinding game than a racing game. And the stunt mode is incredible.

• Jim Rossignol says:

I think it’s an entertaining game. Just don’t expect a great racing game. I would definitely recommend it at that price.

• abigbat says:

Paradise seems to be very much a marmite game – I personally didn’t enjoy it at all, but a lot of people rave about it. Worth picking up on the cheap at least to see which side you sit on.

• jalf says:

When I play a racing game, it’s to:

- go ridiculously fast,
      - perform ridiculous stunts, and
      - crash spectacularly.

Burnout delivers.

• DrGonzo says:

I guess I just like the older Burnouts more. For me it was about doing 150 down the wrong lane, knowing even scratching the paint of another car will spin you off the road.

The marmite comment seems quite on the nose. My flatmate adores the game, and I couldn’t get on with it at all.

• Balobam says:

I got this game sat on my PC for a while now, I should probably play it sometime. Managed to nab it from the EA store when they were literally giving it away, can’t really beat free.

• Bhazor says:

Yeah the older Burnouts are definitely better than Paradise. My favourite is still Takedown which to me hit the sweetspot between racing and wrecking. Fantastic game, probably still my favourite racer.

• MikoSquiz says:

Paradise is OK, but it’s definitely the weakest entry in the series that I’ve tried. Then again, I believe it’s also the only one available on PC.

Devenger says:

The lack of overwhelming oncoming traffic to have to weave in between is a shame. But going back to the older games, I miss the variety of options Paradise gives you in ways to approach the game.

The different car classes (Speed, Stunt and Aggression?) not only have quite a different weight to them, but also give that clever feeling of playing a specific game earlier in the series, with Speed having the Burnout Chains much like Burnout 2 making boosting constantly worthwhile, Stunt having the long, versatile boost bar from Burnout 3 that you can tap speed from as well as hold, and Aggression’s Burnout 4-alike model motivating you to temporarily sacrifice your lead to further brutally whack your opponents for more boost than you can crash a car into.

It feels like a clever mix tape. Not that you need to know anything about the game’s lineage to appreciate it. I recommend it highly.

• Dominic White says:

Most people don’t get Paradise until they take it online. Then every single design decision clicks into place, as suddenly you’ve got 10 players pulling stunts around the map, wrecking each other, starting races and challenges and generally being passive-aggressively social.

Play it online. Seriously.

• Radiant says:

The game was so lonesome!
      Driving around a ghost town was so disconcerting.

Make your own fun! After the Rapture.

• Mctittles says:

If you weren’t a fan of Burnout Paradise (like me) and still want some sweet open world racing, I recommend taking a look at Test Drive Unlimited (the first one). Great driving physics and huge open world.

• Vinraith says:

All the Burnout games are pretty good, and Paradise is somewhere in the middle of the pack. Not as good as 3, of course, but certainly better than 4 (traffic checking was a terrible idea).

It does have the fundamental (and peculiar) ailment of all modern racers, though: no AI drivers in MP races. Want to race against a friend? Your only option is a two player race, which is dull as dirt. Oh, and no local co-op either, so basically buy it for the SP, the MP is barely there.

• Jake says:

I love Burnout Paradise so much. At first I was not impressed because I preferred the previous Burnout games where you didn’t need to worry about getting lost and could concentrate on doing cool traffic dodging, but after a while you learn the routes and the frustration of taking wrong turns is gone.

It does seem a bit like a ghost town at first but the game dramatically improves at a higher license as the amount of traffic increases and obviously your car is much faster, so it is really hectic.

Plus just cruising around not doing any challenges or races is great fun. I’ve always been a fan of aimless wandering/driving around though. I must have driven around the train track a dozen times.

• Urthman says:

A lot of people find this game appeals to the part of your brain that loves 3D platformer / explorer games (if your brain has such a region).

Driving around, exploring, trying to find all the billboards, figuring out how to get to them, executing the jumps correctly to smash through them — that was my favorite part of Burnout Paradise. Who doesn’t love driving a car along the top of a building, skipping across to the next rooftop, launching yourself off a ramp, and crashing through a billboard?

• DrGonzo says:

I did try it online, but I’m a curmudgeon. I really just wanted to pick a track from a menu, get in there play for 20 minutes have a laugh and be done. Personally, being harassed online and having to drive to events, the crash mode thing that had been turned into a weird exploding bouncy thing rather than actually crashing and the fact cars were now very sturdy and had to have their health lowered before they were wrecked. They pretty much removed or changed everything I liked about the game.

I can appreciate it’s good for what it is, I just wanted to recommend people try before they buy, simply liking the previous games in the series doesn’t necessarily mean you will enjoy this one.

• Renfield says:

Aha, so it *does* get more hectic as you ‘level’. I just bought it, and it’s fun enough to drive around, but I suspect that can get boring quite quickly.

Still, it’s £3.74. Thanks Bargain Bucket (TM)!

Stellar Duck says:

A tip to enhance the enjoyment of Burnout Paradise:

Go into the music menu and disable all the rubbish EA Trax or whatever it’s called. Then enable only the classical music on the list.

Crashing at a million kilometres per hour is glorious when done to Beethoven.

• CMaster says:

If only there was some way of disabling the guns and roses at the start – which not only always plays, can’t be changed until you’re actually on the road – it also ignores your music volume settings. I actually start the game with my headset off.

2. Ertard says:

Another deal this week: french and swedish people can now purchase games in dollars over at Green Man Gaming. This quite huge, since it slashes prices by about 50% with vouchers. A good 30-40 without it.

• CaughtVD says:

Yeah they’ve got some pretty nice deals on right now like 45% of Dead Island + £5 towards your next purchase if you make an account through here or a friends link http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=cinokehe Just use code: READY-UPDEA-ISLAN @ the checkout. If thats still too pricey for you they’re offering a few copies here for FREE http://ready-up.net/features/win-dead-island-with-green-man-gaming/
      Also the code in the main article works for 20% off most other games.

• jay35 says:

A few of the GMG pre-orders at 15% off that will be Steam activated are:

RO2 Deluxe Edition: $42.45 + 20% off w/ coupon, so $33.96.
      RO2 Regular Edition: $33.95 + 20% off w/ coupon, so $27.16.
      Stronghold 3 $33.96 w/ 20% off coupon
      Renegade Ops $10.20 w/ 20% off coupon

RO2: Sept 13th
      Renegade Ops: Sept 23rd
      Stronghold 3: Oct 21st

20% off stacking codes (it’s possible not all of these still work, so work your way down the list):
      20PEC-FACEB-SAVER
      20PEC-TWEET-SAVER
      HAPPY-PAYDA-YSITE
      20SUM-MERSA-VINGS
      SUNNY-SAVER-20PEC

Plus if you’re new to the site and register through any of those links above, you get $5 credit off your second order when spending $5 or more now.

I picked up RO2:DDE, Stronghold 3, and Renegade Ops.

• adonf says:

“french and swedish people can now purchase games in dollars”

How do you do that ?
      I used to pay in Euros on GMG but now all the prices and trade-in values are in UK Pounds. I’d rather pay in Dollars or Euros but I can’t find a way to change the currency.

Crimsoneer says:

I’m getting invalid code for Burnout…anybody else?

4. LionsPhil says:

Effects: Barter +50

Heh.

• mangrove says:

A nice touch! :)

• Hallgrim says:

Hidden Effects: Crashes and Invalid Save Game files.

I bought Fallout New Vegas during the steam sale this summer, and am just astounded at what a buggy POS it is. Corrupted save files make the thing damned near unplayable… currently using an application that stores all quicksave files so hopefully I can play this thing, but if I lose another hour of play time due to corrupted save games (no mods here) I’ll be done with it. $10 NOT well spent.

• Tei says:

Hallgrim: Is only you

• Nim says:

@Hallgrim

You’re not the only one with that problem, a lot of other people have it as well.The common factors to suffer save-game corruption seems to be running the game on a heavily-fragmented hard-drive full of corrupted blocks and unreadable areas. The problem becomes even more frequent when you are playing the unpatched game on a operation system infected to the brim with viruses, trojans and other malware while at the same time running an excess of unnecessary applications in the background.

I kid, I kid. But in all seriousness I’ve saved at least 500 times already and of those I’ve had a single corrupted save that set me back 5 minutes. This was from Win XP 32-bit to Win 7 64-bit with completely different hardware configurations on each computer. Also none of my friends have ever mentioned corrupted saves when we’ve discussed New Vegas. It was mostly a launch problem that’s gone away now, save for people who can’t keep their computers in shape, so I’m with Tei on this one, or are you just trying to sneak a rant at Obsidian/Bethesda?

• Reapy says:

Finally got fallout nv myself… it has some issues and is clearly made to be played with a controller rather than a mouse and keyboard.

I have so far spent more time trying to get the game to function like a normal PC game than actually playing it. The biggest problem I found was forced vsync. I turned this off in an .ini file, which made the game start behaving normally except now that the game animations/movement playes at the speed of the framerate, which basically translate to if I look at the ground or am indoors, everything runs way too fast as the framerate climbs.

Pretty crazy that a title now a days can suffer from this problem. I thought it was game programming 101 to handle cases like this.

Currently am running the game out of some random exe I found to fix stuttering among other things, while using the mouse acceleration disable lines in the .ini and it plays ‘ok’. Really though there has been so much fiddling with it that I’m already burnt out on the game and I’ve only played it about 2 hours.

Sad.

5. ANeM says:

The voucher/sale for Batman: Arkham City is in fact valid in North America

6. KauhuK says:

Dungeon Siege III – £11.99/€19.99/$19.99. That’s just bollocks right there. WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THAT ABSURD EURO PRICE?

• d32 says:

What do you mean? It’s the same as the dollar price!

Seriously: yes, fuck them.

7. miguelpho says:

Batman: Arkham City is 33,96€ with the voucher. Dunno about dollars though…

• donmilliken says:

The same in US dollars. You Europeans are getting right shafted, but I guess you’re used to that by now.

$33.96 in dollars is a damn good price. $33.96 is euros is . . . about what we in the US would be paying without any discount.

• Tusque D'Ivoire says:

actually i think it’s 23,something€. which is okay. if you consider that its got a lot of DRM toppings

8. PureUncut says:

So what is the Green Man Gaming service like?

Is it similar to D2D where I just download and install the game or does it need a steam like program running in the background?

• Navagon says:

Their own DRM is pretty nasty, requiring constant reactivation. However they do also sell Steam keys and in this case Steam is a clear improvement.

• I4C says:

I have no problems with greenmangaming, the activation takes a button press and 3 seconds of waiting.
      Wouldn’t call that nasty. At least its better then steam, it never crashed and isn’t a resource hog(capsule).

• DrGonzo says:

I’ve only picked up Steam games from them, but it was very fast and easy to use. They don’t even need to email you the key as it’s just displayed in browser allowing you to pop it into Steam and forget about GreenManGaming which I really like.

• Mattressi says:

Most games that don’t have Steamworks as a requirement won’t allow you to use the key on Steam to get the game, so you may believe that you’re stuck with GMG’s horrible ‘must go online every so often’ activation thing. However, I’ve found that you can get the key from GMG and then just download the game through…other means…and the key works fine. Not sure about the “legality” (I use that word hesitantly, because piracy isn’t actually illegal and EULAs are a grey area) of it, but it usually works at least. I much prefer to feel like I own a game that I’ve bought, rather than I own it, so long as I ring someone up to confirm that I own it every so often.

9. Preciousgollum says:

Call of Duty : Modern Warfare 2 is £9.26 at impulse (due to it being $15) and for once it is a deal actually available within the UK from the site.

Modern Warfare 2 must be registered on steam (View registration on impulse client and then plug that key into steam).

I think that it’s quite a decent offer and is exactly the sort of price that makes my wallet move for what is arguably the last good CoD game we will ever see…

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Thanks for the tip, finally a price I am ready to pay for it :D
      Use the good old Survey-2009 code at checkout and it gets even cheaper! :)
      Works in EU as well, btw

Vandelay says:

The Steam deal is laughably bad, particularly considering Borderlands with all of the DLCs was £5 just last week. To get Modern Warfare 2, with the map packs, you are looking at over £25.

£10 is a pretty good deal, but I would still expect the add-ons with that.

• suibhne says:

Huh…how odd to say that MW2 was “arguably the last good CoD game we will ever see”. BLOPS was markedly better (despite having a ton of problems), and the next CoD looks at least marginally better than both. In any case, I think the best of the CoD deals by far is the collection including CoD, CoD:UO, and CoD2 – all classics.

• Preciousgollum says:

It is probably better to buy CoD and CoD 2 (that one being my personal joint-favourite with CoD 4) from an online retailer as the price on steam is the same as having all the retail copies (which you then backup onto Hard Disk to avoid scratchies). I would seriously expect a better deal than the one currently on offer for the classics.

Modern Warfare 2 is worth the price online as the disk copy is basically the same as making a copy from steam once it has been downloaded (requiring steam to install and verify), a process that a DVD-burner can adequately fulfill, all for less than retail. The map-packs are too expensive which is why I won’t buy them and enjoy the single/multi that I now have for the price that I got it at.

I don’t like the Treyarch CoD games as they are sub-par compared to Infinity Ward’s offerings and since Infinity Ward is now a shadow of itself (as many people left, including the head people) it looks as if the next MW isn’t worth getting excited about. I don’t know what MW2 is like but I have heard good things (even if it did deviate from IW’s original plans for the series because activision demanded new settings).

The only game that Treyarch should be truely proud of is Spider-Man 2, the licenced tie-in, a genuinely decent game at the time.

It can be said that the series as a whole has died and MW2 was the swansong it went out on.

10. Velvetmeds says:

Does anyone know if you can buy Retribution on THQ US’s store, as per the article, if you’re in europe and register it on steam? 10€ Is a pretty sweet deal for it

• DrGonzo says:

It was 15 quid on release for me. The price seemed to then jump up for some reason. I’ve seen it on offer for 15 quid with the rest of the series bundled in too, seems to happen quite a lot on GAMEs site.

• jRides says:

I bought retribution from THQ last time they had a sale (I’m in the UK) and it provided a steam activation which worked fine, beware tho there was some posts about the codes being revoked (but monies were refunded) when THQ realised that half of europe were putting in fake American addresses – I have a friend in the USA and I used his address, but paid via my own paypal account, so I suggest using paypal incase its credit card information giving away your non-USA credentials.

So on that note – anyone know if Supreme Commander 1 has a steam activation given out?

• Velvetmeds says:

I’ve never seen the game cheaper than 15€ anywhere, except on steam’s summer sale for 1 hour when it was 7.5€ before they realized the mistake and corrected it to 15€

Buzko says:

Can anyone explain this “extended download service” bollocks that THQ offers you (by default, i should add)? $5 to make sure you can re-download their game from their servers for two fucking years? What are they storing these things on, gold bricks?

JRides, doesn’t your paypal account include your UK address?

Buzko says:

Just tried it using my shipito address and paypal, and it seems to have worked; Steam accepted the serial anyway.

I’m in Australia , where THQ wants USD 60 for Retribution and 90 for Space Marine through Steam.

11. 20thCB says:

Does Batman register on Steam? and can anyone recommend Delve Deeper?

• Navagon says:

Batman is GFWL. So I doubt it will register with both clients unless you’re actually buying it through Steam. That said, I don’t know why anyone would want to use both clients for one game. it’s a pain in the arse, as DoW2 proved.

• Archonsod says:

At that price I certainly can. Haven’t got the DLC though so dunno if that’s worth it.

• Preciousgollum says:

Arkham City, regardless of the many contradictory statements made in the media, uses Games For Windows Live so it probably won’t register on steam.

Batman : Arkham Asylum required logging in to GFWL in order to save the game and keep your progress.

• DrGonzo says:

D’oh! I really wanted to get Arkham City on PC!

• malkav11 says:

Arkham City does not register on Steam and Green Man Gaming uses a proprietary client normally (one which I have no interest in adding to my already too large roster of digital distribution clients, especially as I still am nowhere near finishing Arkham Asylum and thus feel perfectly comfortable not preordering the sequel).

12. Farkeman says:

Getting Arkham City was tempting , but GWFL made the decision for me , I’ll pass for now…

• kyrieee says:

Well it’s 34$ = 23€. It’s going to be forever until it’s cheaper than that on Steam.

• Balobam says:

Same here man, I pirated bought Arkham Asylum for my 360, and when I saw the Steam sale I figured I’d buy it as I did enjoy it and all, but GFWL makes it such a damn pain in the ass, especially with Steam.

I’m gonna hold out on Arkham City until it’s a good deal cheaper to make up for the delightful inclusion of DRM that completely destroyed my chances of playing my legit copy of GoW

• Whiskey Jak says:

I’m not sure I get it. I played through the whole campaign of DoW2 with the GFWL and Steam thingy and never had a problem. Usability-wise, what is the “pain in the ass” issue exactly? I say usability-wise because I really don’t want to get into the philosophical debate of DRM, having two clients running and such things.

Is it supposed to slow down your computer to a crawl? Is it supposed to be difficult to log in? Is it having compatibility issues? Is it adding that many steps to start playing? The thing is, I already had a Live account for my 360 and I have very stable and fast internet connection but I don’t play multiplayer games much, so maybe that’s why I’m not aware of the problems it causes?

And I’m not trying to defend GFWL, just trying to understand what the fuss is about.

• DrGonzo says:

For me it’s caused no end of problems usability wise. Funnily enough morality wise I have no problem, I like the idea of sharing an account and achievements from 360.

However, Section 8 Prejudice wouldn’t work for me as GFWL went in a cycle of installing patches that would never, ever end. I sorted it eventually after an evening of hassle. It caused performance issues in DoW2 that I didn’t even realise until I tried Retribution. I also had the same never ending patch bug with Shadowrun and Blacklight. It doesn’t always happen however , Bioshock ran fine and I never had a problem.

On top of all that I haven’t even begun to mention how awkward to use the entire service is, it still doesn’t allow you to invite friends to a game quickly and easily for example.

All that said, I wouldn’t mind GFWL existing if it worked well, I don’t mind the premise at all. I think it suffers the same issue Vista did. It didn’t work on release very well, then they sorted Vista out however everyone will always hate it for reasons that don’t actually exist anymore. Even if GFWL was revamped and fixed and became excellent (doubtful!) people would still give it the exact same flak, as according to the internet nothing ever changes!

13. Phinor says:

I’d probably try Dungeon Siege 3 for £12 or $20, but not for 20€. I’d definitely buy Call of Duty Warchest for £10 or $15, but not for 15€. I’d pre-order Batman: Arkham City for £20 but definitely not for 34€. So all in all, I will end up spending exactly none of my precious money this week, again.

At least we should get more RO2 maps later today :)

14. poop II says:

is delve deeper another game like dwarfs!? thats about mining and hubris?

• Wetworks says:

The theme is very similar to dwarfs but it plays much differently. Delve Deeper plays more like a turn based board game. You pick your team of 5 dwarfs and try to mine the most minerals in a set amount of turns. Every turn you can dig 1 new tunnel and move your dwarfs either to fight monsters or mine minerals. Your competing against 1-3 a.i. players or you can play hotseat.

I’ve played a few matches already and am really enjoying it. It has a nice art style and the game is strategic enough to have some fun with.

• Gnoupi says:

The only common point is that they have dwarfs. And mining.

Aside from that, completely different games.

• jeremypeel says:

Looks to me like the Delve Deeper sale is over all too soon, for everyone. Can the hivemind confirm?

15. Bhazor says:

For $2.50 Ghost Master on Beamdog is a must buy. There really is nothing else quite like it.

I’d also like to give a hearty recommendation to Beamdog which is a very light, minimalist client that doesn’t require online activation once downloaded. Of course it doesn’t have many big names yet but it’s also the only way to get Whitegold and Precursors outside of Russia.

• sassy says:

Both games have been on gamersgate for some time, I know Precursors had quite a good discount on it during gamersgate’s summer sale. Don’t know where you got that information from but spreading unverified information isn’t very nice.

Haven’t used Beamdog but the fact you said client immediately makes it inferior to gamersgate.

Oh right forgot you mentioned Ghost Master. The game is a little boring but well worth trying. It is available on a variety of DD sites including steam and Gog. Goes on sale for similar prices multiple times a year, so if you would prefer to not use Beamdog, just wait a while and you can get it cheaply elsewhere.

• malkav11 says:

Gamersgate’s release of White Gold, at least, is broken. And Beamdog offers convenient packages for both games that incorporate the fan patches and things like the original Russian voice files that improve the experience substantially.

• Dominic White says:

As an interesting aside, the White Gold and Precursors fan-patches are both by that scholar and saint of videogames, Werner Spahl – the guy who dragged Vampire Bloodlines from the brink.

16. CaLe says:

Will the Green Man Gaming Arkham City key register on Steam?

• Mac says:

Question alredy asked and answered … read up :)

• CaLe says:

D’oh. I did have a quick browse to see if someone asked it but guess I skipped over it. Thanks.

17. lokijki says:

I’m planning on getting Arkham City on OnLive; got the Playpack bundle earlier which gives you 30% off everything, and Arkham City comes with a free game with a preorder. So it comes to $45 (after the cost of the playpack) for Arkham City and some other game.

• azathoth says:

I got a $20 off coupon for pre-ordering Space Marine, as an apology for them not having multiplayer on launch (which I honestly don’t care about anyway). So I ended up getting Arkham City for $22 with that coupon and my PlayPack discount. Then with the free game coupon from that, I got Tropico 4 which netted me a free copy of Tropico 3. And then I bought Arkham Asylum from them for less than a dollar with the coupon code 99CENTS.

OnLive isn’t the best way to play games, but you can get some pretty good deals from them, and they like to throw around coupon codes like crazy. Nearly every pre-order will give you the choice between a free game or the console system. Plus, if you’re a PlayPack subscriber you get other benefits, like 30% off every purchase and I’ve gotten random coupons for free games before too.

18. Forceflow says:

Bought Dead Island off GMG, got 25% reduction with a coupon code.

The Steam key is displayed, and it registers nicely on steam. I’ll be checking GMG more for good deals on Steam keys. Wouldn’t touch Capsue with a ten foot pole, though.

• Mac says:

I need to see and hear more of Dead Island before purchasing … it just looks like Left 4 Dead in the trailers i’ve seen so far.

• malkav11 says:

If Left 4 Dead were an open world game set on a tropical island resort, with RPG levelling and unique skill trees for every one of the four characters, with a focus on improvised melee weapons rather than a tiny handful of guns, maybe. Those things alone mean that they have little more in common than sharing a zombie theme and four player coop.

Now, obviously it’s not out yet and I have not gotten to play it myself, so the jury is still out as to whether it’s any -good-. But it’s silly to label it as a Left 4 Dead clone.

• Chucrute says:

Dead Island looks too ambitious, struggling to find an identity. I’m really skeptical about it.

• Juan Carlo says:

Everything I’ve read about Dead Island makes it look awesome.

Still, I don’t want to pre-order until I’ve read a couple reviews of it. It’s by a mostly unknown company and runs on a pretty obscure engine from like 2003 (Anyone remember the game Chrome? Didn’t think so). The engine does seem to have been heavily reworked, so it might be awesome, but it still makes me hold off just because unlike Source or Unreal I don’t necessarily know how it will run. So it seems like there’s too many things that could go wrong.

Still, I’m really wishing that they’d release some reviews before it’s released so I can still pre-order and get the first DLC for free. Deus Ex had reviews out like a month ahead of time. Where are all of our Dead Island reviews?

19. Nerocyne says:

One thing is saying Fable 3 wasn’t worth the bytes it takes up, but Fable (The original, The Lost Chapters was simply more of the same thing) was a brilliant game!

20. sk2k says:

Anyone knows if you can gift games on GMG ?

Carra says:

GoG has some great deals too. Commandos is an awesome puzzle/strategy series.

And constructor/mob wars are very fun city builders with a twist: you can sabotize your neighbours.

FriendlyFire says:

Can’t find much information on the THQ store. Since Digitalriver seems involved, I’ll assume they have a shitty short time period for downloading your game after which you’re boned, but how many games activate on Steam from there?

I was interested in getting Forged Alliance (first time I see it for less than 10 bucks!), but I need to know what the service is like first.

UPDATE: Pulled the trigger anyways. You get a serial and a downloader, but no insurance on how long the download’ll be up. Since this is DigitalRiver, I’m guessing not long. If you DO purchase it, too, just grab everything ASAP and make backups.

23. Eclipse says:

I want to suggest you to buy Daemonica:

It’s a very different adventure game that looks a bit like an rpg. It’s from Cinemax, the sofware house of Numen, another game I really liked.
    The story is FANTASTIC, and I mean it, this game has one of the best settings, characters and story I ever saw, very atmospheric.
    It’s not your usual fantasy thing. It’s setting is a small village in uk, few years after the Black Death (around 1350-1360) and you have to investigate some murders.
    The Daemonica in the title is nothing less than the language of the demons: the main character can use it to order a demon to bring him a soul of a murder victim from the oblivion, but you have to meet the soul in a temple that’s between life and death, so to speak with them the player needs to poison himself and stay almost dead while speaking with the demons. Cool stuff.
    Go past the outdatedlow budget look and enjoy one of the best adventure games ever

Lambchops says:

I reckon I’ll pass on Green Man Gaming (which I’ve heard some negative things about) and buy the retail copy of Arkham City for a mere 2 quid more from Coolshop, who earned themselves a place in my bookmarks for delivering Deus Ex: Human Revolution dead on time (granted I still haven’t had time to actually play the thing yet, but it’s the thought that counts!).

Oh and Lewie, rubbish sport? Can’t be when Bolt was involved! Breathtaking to watch as always, as was the women’s 100 m hurdles, which was oh so close to the word record and an incredible flowing performance.

Plus Scotland are currently winning one nil, but by all accounts we’re playing pretty poorly so there’s plenty of opportunity to bugger it up in the last 15 minutes!

Lambchops says:

I’m sorry fellow Scots! If anyone asks you can blame me, it’s all gone incredibly tits up since I posted that. It gives me no pleasure to have called it in the slightest. Looks like to get second place we’ll have to do it the hard way and beat Spain. Which sounds like the perfect backdrop for one of our legendary glorious failures if ever I saw it!

25. Heliocentric says:

The THQ sale has some serious issues, as far as I can tell you have only so long to download your game. No idea how long either, but they want you to pay for download protection.

26. hypercrisis says:

Amazon.com have 30% off digital download Deus Ex Human Revolution. Looks like the code activates on Steam too

• Juan Carlo says:

I got this.

The only thing that pissed me off was that, while it comes with the pre-order weapon DLC items, these items are automatically included with the key they give you that unlocks the game.

I was hoping they would be given to you in the form of a separate steam key so I could trade them for the Tracer Tong bonus mission. I really hate overpowered DLC items and almost never use them just because they always wreck the game’s difficulty and make things too easy.

• Driadan says:

It’s a shame it is only in the US and Canada :(

27. Spookie says:

Wanted to +1 Green Man Gaming used them for RO2 & Deus Ex. Great prices and more importantly great service too. I don’t like using additional software to deliver my games (other than steam ofc) but it’s simple and not full of shitty filler ala Origin.

28. Solidstate89 says:

The only good Fable game I ever played was the very first one. Every one since has a been steady decline in mediocrity.

29. Bobtree says:

CAG has a discount code for Din’s Curse on D2D, making it $4 through Monday:

Dead Island has had the street date broken for consoles, so there’s now gameplay footage on youtube, for anyone on the fence about pre-ordering.

• Buttless Boy says:

Holy crap, $4? Everyone: BUY DIN’S CURSE.

• johnpeat says:

THAT

Works for me (in the UK) – just follow the link from cheapassgamer, link your account to the US site, put in the code, select PayPal – authorise them getting your Billing Address (I thought this might trip me up) and it works!

• D4t4v4mP says:

I just logged in to thank you for this deal, i would have let it pass by me if it wasn’t for your post. Bought it as soon as i read your comment. This should really be among the other deals in the main article so that more people could see it.

• G_Man_007 says:

How can I get this to work as someone from the UK? They changed it so that we can’t just swap between the UK and US sites, I tried changing my country to US, but it wouldn’t work.

• d32 says:

Greaaaat, thanks.
      They’ve added a bit of a tax on the price, but it’s stil perfect.

30. TsunamiWombat says:

In the deepest darkest parts of the Americans, Delve Deeper is regular full price $5 (five USD) and the DLC is 1 USD (though you can get a combo pack for 5.50 at a savings of 50 cents), meanwhile Arkham City is $42.45 (15% off)

31. Oak says:

Vegas: Make it Big (in the Beamdog sale) is a surprisingly good bargain-rack tycoon game. Pick it up while it’s incredibly cheap instead of just really cheap.

32. Juan Carlo says:

edit posted on wrong spot

33. Casimir's Blake says:

Though the caption pic rose a smile, I was disappointed to find the article itself did not contain a deal on Fallout 3.

34. haisaiaa says:

(http://tinyurl.com/3m2gdjz )
    Online Store,Get Name Brand Fashion From 12USD Now!
    Lv,Gucci,Prada,Coach,Chanel Women sandal is $30
    DG,JUICY,Lv,Gucci,Coach Hand-bag price is $35
    Polo,Locaste,Levis,EdHardy,Bape,Christan Audigier AF,COOGI Tshirt price is $12
    Jeans price is $34
    Accept paypal payment, accept Credit card payments, electronic check payments.
    FREE SHIPPING
    (http://tinyurl.com/3m2gdjz )
    ur friends’ adress by EMS,DHL,UPs
    click my link under here!
    @#$%^&*(@#$%^&*&^%$#@#$%^&

35. llh55 says:

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

(======= http://www.lovetoshopping.org =======)

Believe you will love it.

accept paypal free shipping
    Cheapest DG Shoes,Discount Brand Purses,Baby Phat Clothing

36. dr.castle says:

Bonus bargain for those in the USA:

Rage preorder for $43 (free shipping) at newegg:

Use Promo code EMCYTZT725 at checkout for a $12 discount. Definitely the cheapest Rage preorder available.

37. I LIKE FOOD says:

mmmmm MMM gotta love me the 1 dolla = 1 euro mentality companies have.

go die asswipes

38. JagRoss says:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl is not activating on steam for some reason, Darksiders is fine.
    Edit: You can’t activate a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl retail key on steam, which is the one you get from the THQ website.

39. pupsikaso says:

Does anyone know if Delve Deeper finally has multiplayer? Or are they still pretending that many players at the same keyboard is considered multiplayer?