Grey Skies Are Gonna Kreia Up: KOTOR 2 Is Done

By Richard Cobbett on July 27th, 2012 at 5:00 pm.

Ha! This isn't The Old Republic! If I completely kick your ass with my Force powers, nobody's going to set up a silly petition about it, for I am the Exile and you are FOOD FOR THE DOGS!

Given its original state at release, it’s a credit to Knights of the Old Republic 2 that people still look back on it with such fondness. Part epic adventure, part brutal deconstruction of Star Wars and many of its most familiar tropes, and unfortunately, only part finished by the time it hit shelves, it was definitely a ride. Now, that ride can be completed properly, with the Sith Lords Restored Content mod hitting v1.8 and declaring its mission finally over.

The Restored Content mod is a massive overhaul for KOTOR 2, not simply bringing a ton of bug fixes (though it really goes to town on those, from conversation errors to individual items to specific combat glitches), but pulling out all kinds of stuff originally buried in its files and making them playable. There’s new dialogue, new cut-scenes, and the final bit of the game should hopefully make some sense now – instead of ending in a load of frustratingly dropped cliffhangers and plot-threads that only a conveniently exploding planet could take care of.

If you’ve been holding off on replaying KOTOR 2 until it was ‘finished’, it’s time. If you missed it the first time, you really should check it out. It’s Planescape: Torment’s Chris Avellone and co really going to town on Star Wars, from what happens when life debts aren’t a fluffy question of gratitude, to the downsides of trying to be a hero in a womp-rat-eat-womp-rat universe. Your mentor character for the game, Kreia, is easily one of the best characters the series ever produced, and there’s some great storytelling amongst the expected lightsaber rattling. It’s a phenomenal look at the series, and was all the better for coming out of nowhere – as opposed to say, Spec Ops outright saying “Yo, I’m going to deconstruct the hell out of this.”

Mira, Mira, on my ship. Don't you see Hanhaar's a dick?

This marks the end of the Restored Content mod, the goal of which was always to turn KOTOR2 into the game Obsidian was trying to make rather than keep upgrading it. There is one more cool thing on the way though, as project co-leader Zbigniew “zbyl2″ Staniewicz told PC Gamer the other day. Originally, KOTOR 2 featured a droid planet that was cut from the game and barely exists even in the hidden content. Since there’s not enough to salvage, the team is creating their own mission to fill the gap. That will be available separately, though of course compatible with the Restored Content mod, to keep the focus here on the original game.

, , .

1. DanPryce says:

PC Gaming, ladies and gents. Tis a glorious thing.

• pakoito says:

You can’t mod your games sitting comfortably in the sofa, with a controller in one hand and Mountain Dew in the other, your own filth and corporal smell impregnating the whole room empty of people after your girlfriend left months ago.

• DanPryce says:

Why, I was just saying to myself the other day ‘I wonder when that Chromehounds total fix mod is coming out?’

• beetle says:

nah, you need to be at least a staff sergeant to pull something like that off.
        edit: though I have to say that this give a whole new meaning to ‘rank’

2. caddyB says:

This is why I love the modding scene, even with their nude patches and skimpy anime styled armors.

3. Leaufai says:

Should I play KOTOR 1 first to really enjoy this?

• Richard Cobbett says:

Wouldn’t hurt, but isn’t essential. With the exception of one character, it’s mostly a new set of characters on a brand new adventure – the events of KOTOR are referenced, but you’re focused on different stuff.

• InternetBatman says:

Three characters. Wasn’t there a certain Mandalorian and some mechanomen?

• faillord_adam says:

4 characters, weren’t there certain droids in both games?

• Richard Cobbett says:

I was thinking more in the sense that they’re on a new adventure rather than particularly picking up threads from the original game. But it’s been a while since I played it. The Exile’s story stands alone though, bar a few references to Revan.

Thirith says:

KOTOR 1 is also fun, although it’s a more conventional Star Wars story.

Incidentally, after I got started on Savage Empire last weekend and discovered that my old-school mojo isn’t up to it (I’ll wait for Nuvie to be completed, since the teensy viewport of standard SE makes the game almost entirely unenjoyable for me), this is good RPG news. Yay!

VelvetFistIronGlove says:

So KOTOR : KOTOR 2 is pretty much Fallout 3 : Fallout New Vegas? If so, I’m in.

Does KOTOR2 have better controls than the first? I tried KOTOR once, but bounced off it pretty quickly when I couldn’t make sense of the controls.

• mr.black says:

Controls? Everything was pausable and it was 3rd pers camera. Iirc, you could do everything with keyboard or a mouse, and all in all not much different from standard MMO controls nowadays.
            So no, Kotor 2 had almost the same controls as Kotor 1..

• S Jay says:

Please do play KOTOR I before playing the 2nd, it is a healthy thing and it is available on Steam.

• Alexander Norris says:

Speaking of which, is there anything like this mod for KotOR1/Wesp patch for V:tM:B? I’ve been nosing around but found nothing.

• woodsey says:

I have to go against Richard and say yes. Whilst it’s technically a new plot, there’s an awful lot of dwelling on KotOR. You’ll pick up on why easily enough, but I think it’ll play out a lot better for you if you can actually feel the difference between the two and how the galaxy changes between them.

• Dragatus says:

It’s not essential to have played KOTOR1 first, but it is recommended. It will give you a better understanding of the setting and you’ll be able to apreciate the references in this one.

4. Koozer says:

Possibly wonderful news! I’m still getting though KOTOR, but I may have to use this when I make it the second game. My only concern is that some content is cut for reasons other than lack of time. Can anyone with experience of this mod, and the original, tell me if this is a straight upgrade, or should I play the vanilla version first?

• Richard Cobbett says:

The stuff it adds, as far as I can tell, is restoration and fixing – there are a few things from earlier versions of the story for instance which they just cut because they didn’t fit with anything rather than trying to force them in somewhere.

There is no reason to play the vanilla version first though, especially when it just collapses on the last planet in an epically frustrating ending. Up to that point, it’s basically okay, but the RCM fixes a few annoyances. After it, you’ll want the mod.

• Ignorant Texan says:

What Richard says. The vanilla version is a buggy, incoherent mess. While the vanilla game is still compelling, the ending of vanilla KotOR 2 is one of my most disappointing, unsatisfying and frustrating memories from gaming. Imagine the feeling if LotR ended as Gollum hits the lava, with a two page epilogue to tell you the rest.

5. karthink says:

You know how people say “I tried to play Planescape: Torment, I really did, but the interface and mechanics are a little too obtuse”?

Get them to play KOTOR 2 (with this mod) instead. Then tell them PS:T is better.

Side note:
    I played through KOTOR 2 recently with the 1.7 restored content mod and it was already a whole new game. It made sense, for a start.

The ending was still buggered, though, and some cutscenes wouldn’t play consistently. Here’s hoping they fixed that.

• Casimir Effect says:

Good call, although you can also say the same with Mask of the Betrayer in place of KOTOR 2.

Great that this has been released, now can we get a digital version of the game out somewhere. Preferably on GOG

AlwaysRight says:

Great news, I remember thoroughly enjoying KOTOR 2 but being often frustrated. Also it annoyed me that Id figured out Kreia from quite early on in the game but there was no option to get my character to talk to her about it (although Im not exactly sure how that would be possible to implement without ruining the story).
    More proof however that great writing makes a less than perfect game much more memorable.

7. Vinraith says:

Ah, this is good news. Now I just need to get around to playing the first one, so I can then play the second one with this mod.

BlackestTea says:

This is great news for me. I just picked up both KOTOR’s in the Steam sale after having heard many a good word spoken about them. Looking forward to the experience!

P.S. The pun – it BURNS!

• Richard Cobbett says:

Wait until you see what’s coming at 8:00…

AlwaysRight says:

Phil Spencer: Secret Agent?

• Om says:

Barring a Planescape 2, nothing can top this news. I followed the earlier Team Gizka effort to fix KOTOR2 but pretty much gave up when that collapsed. This is a very good day for me

oceanclub says:

“just picked up both KOTOR’s in the Steam sale”

Um, I’m pretty sure KOTOR2 isn’t on Steam – are you sure about that?

There’s even a very recent Steam forum thread with someone asking Obsidian about this:

P.

BlackestTea says:

You are right – I lied, I am sorry. I shouldn’t be doing such things. I did indeed only pick up the first, but I am someone who really likes playing a series to its completion, so I am very intend on picking up the second as soon as I’m through with the first. I was somehow convinced it was also on steam (it seemed natural), and so I said i already had it in order to make a shorter post. I am not even sure why I am writing this justification, but I still feel very sorry for lying on RPS. It seems like a very wrong thing to do. Shame.

• caddyB says:

Incoming FPS Kotor 3 after the huge fandom cheering and parading about wanting it.

You heard it here first, folks.

Hidden_7 says:

Is KOTOR 2 available on Steam in some regions? It’s not in North America, nor has it ever been to my knowledge. Which is a huge bother because I lent my discs away awhile back and, like all lent games, they’ve totally disappeared. I still have my KOTOR1 discs, but I neither particularly want to replay KOTOR1, nor need them since KOTOR1 is cheap on Steam.

If anyone knows where one can get KOTOR2 digitally in NA, I’d appreciate their sharing of that knowledge. I suppose technically I could download a “backup” from less reputable sites, since I did buy the game, but I’d rather not do that.

• Gvaz says:

It’s not and you can’t. Might be able to buy a disk copy but if you want a digital version you’re gonna have to pirate it. HTH

tikey says:

Oh my! OH MY!

There goes my free time.

10. beatnik11 says:

Even though KotOR 2 was a buggy mess and the ending was clearly rushed, I felt it was much better than the original. Hell, that line could be used for almost every sequel Obsidian has produced, what they lack in technical abilities they make up for with great writing, story, and characters.

BTW, I know KotOR is on Steam but are there any legit distributions sites that sell 2? I am not going to try and hunt down my old cds

• DrGonzo says:

I don’t think it is available to download anywhere unfortunately. But you can pick it up on amazon or ebay very cheaply.

• FakeAssName says:

Dungeon Siege 3 unfortunately disproves the theory that every sequel Obsidian works on is better than the preceding titles.

I do however think that KTOR 2 was head and shoulders better than KTOR 1, the first just wasn’t that fun to play … ok, most Bioware games are not fun to play.

• Gvaz says:

That’s because ds3 is such a diversion from the source material, unlike fallout new vegas or kotor2

• Vincent Avatar says:

In AMERICA, you can still pick up copies of KOTOR II in brick and mortar stores, specifically the big box stores such as Target.

Actually, maybe just Target. Only place I’ve ever seen it, come to think of it.

11. TimEatsApples says:

Yay! I’ve been waiting for them to finish this before replaying it. My PC died when I was about 3/4 of the way through the first time, destroying my save files, and I never got round to finishing it. For me it was always one of the best RPGs I ever played, with none of the end-game frustrations everyone else experienced.

Does anyone know anywhere I can download the game legally? I know it’s not on Steam and I’d rather not buy a physical version it I can avoid it. No idea what happened to my original disk.

Aerothorn says:

Lucasarts has refused to distribute it digitally, perhaps because of the buggy state of it. So no, have to get physicals.

• Buttless Boy says:

Yeah, where do I pick up a copy? I loved it when I played it back in the day, but about 50% of Ye Olde Compact Diskette games I had seem to have disappeared.

• Unrein says:

I suggest you, um… contact your jolly seafaring mates that go “Arrr!” to get Kotor 2, and buy some other Obsidian game to compensate them.

12. MrTrent says:

I’d played the game with v1.6 of this mod, which was cool. It’ll be a while before i have time to play it again with this v1.8, but i’m sure i will at some point.

Aerothorn says:

It’s worth noting that getting KOTOR/KOTOR 2 to play happy on Vista/Windows 7 (at least with original disc releases) is a serious pain in the butt.

See this thread for instructions: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=194296

• Droniac says:

To be honest, I played through KOTOR 2 (original disc version, obviously) only about 6 months ago and it worked just fine out-of-the-box on Windows 7 64-bit, with the 1.7 version of this mod. Not everyone has problems, at least with KOTOR 2. The original game is a bit more fiddly, even on Steam.

14. Dominic White says:

As far as I can recall, the story behind KOTOR 2 is that they were given a fixed budget and deadline to make the game by, and they were on target for release. And then Lucasarts decided halfway through development that the game was going to release six months earlier than originally planned. This isn’t unheard-of levels of bullshit from Lucasarts, either. They were even nastier to Free Radical:

This goes a very long way to explaining why huge chunks of the game seem to have been cut at the last moment.

On a less confirmed, but quite possibly true note: The reason you can find KOTOR 1 everywhere, but no sign of KOTOR 2? Legend has it that George Lucas found out that it was a Watchmen-esque deconstruction of his otherwise silly setting, didn’t like it one bit, and dropped the hammer on it.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’m sure the timeframe Lucasarts was pushing for contributed to some things being cut, but the truth of the matter is that Chris Avellone actually thinks the game would have been better if they had cut even more content from it.

• kyrieee says:

I can believe that. I actually find that some of the missing exposition adds to the game through its absence. The game doesn’t like to give you a straight answer and that’s how it engages you and makes you think.

• Jason Moyer says:

That’s pretty much how I felt about the whole ME3 ending “debacle” too. Ambiguity is a good thing. Having to think and argue about what something means is usually better than having everything spelled out for you.

• scarletguard says:

Jason Moyer: If Chris Avellone didn’t want the cut content back in why did he a) retweet a link to the original PCGamer artcile on this mod and B) Tweet a link to this article?

• D says:

Obviously because he wanted to share it with his followers.. It’s an amazing mod and achievement.

• Gvaz says:

If you enjoyed the ME3 ending and thought it was good you’re pretty much admitting you have no taste. Ambiguity for the sake of it does not make a story clever or interesting.

• Dominic White says:

There’s two kinds of cuts in game development. One is where stuff never makes it far beyond first prototyping before getting cut – that’s usually a good thing, because it means they were unhappy with it – what happened with KOTOR 2 and (to a lesser extent) Vampire: Bloodlines was last-minute external issues forcing them to cut large chunks of nearly-complete content simply because they didn’t have the time to complete it.

• Nick says:

He is probably thinking of the bits still left in that made no sense at all due to other cuts..

ffordesoon says:

I read the Reddit AMA with him and Brian Fargo where he said that. He might’ve said it elsewhere, I dunno, but the way he explained it there was that he gave the team too much stuff to do because he wanted to match the size and scope of the original KOTOR, and so when LucasArts pushed the release date up by six months, they weren’t able to spend any time at all smoothing over the cracks in the game because it wasn’t content-complete yet. They just disabled the chunks of the game that weren’t done, slapped together Kreia’s monologue at the end, and pushed it out the door hoping the experience of the end user wouldn’t be too terrible.

The impression I got was not that he would have cut even more content if he’d gotten his way. I think what he was saying was that they should’ve had less planned content, so that when the six months they thought they had went up in smoke, it wouldn’t have impacted the user experience so severely. He feels pretty strongly that the experience of the end user is what matters, not publisher-developer politics, and I think he feels sad that the people who played KOTOR II on release didn’t get the experience they deserved. Which is true, though I think he’s being too hard on himself; as I understand it, the shift in ship dates was extremely sudden, and the game was proceeding on schedule up until that point, so I don’t know that he has much to be sorry for, really.

• YogSo says:

That Free Radical story has been a thoroughly depressing reading. Thanks?

• frightlever says:

I find it hard to believe George Lucas would care much about what was going on in an expanded universe game.

In unrelated Star Wars news, I only just found out about Pink Five.

ffordesoon says:

I love the idea of George Lucas seeing the script and freaking the fuck out, by the way. It seems just like something he would do. “This evil lady makes a lot of sense! No one must see this game again, because walkie-talkies children CGI!”

15. Impale says:

In answer to a couple of people, no, there’s no way to legally download it. I actually bought it the other day from amazon (£7). Arrived after 2 days, free postage. I’ve been putting off playing it till I complete The Witcher, so this is good news about the mod.

P.S – Can we have Kotor 3 yet? Please?

16. coldvvvave says:

I have to go to that mining gomplex again??

• Gvaz says:

Just like the first KOTOR, there’s a mod to skip the first planet.

17. kyrieee says:

Apperances can be deceiving. While this game looks and plays like KotOR 1 it really couldn’t be more different. It’s one of the best written games ever in my opinion. The more times I play it or sit down and think about the characters and the themes the more I appreciate it. It just grows on you over time.

• Jason Moyer says:

The thing I like is that where Planescape deconstructed AD&D and turned it on its head, KotOR II takes everything that’s sacred about Star Wars and completely skull fucks it. That and it’s the first cRPG I can remember where you could actually foster growth in your party NPC’s through your relationships with them.

18. coldvvvave says:

Pure pazzak.

19. rustybroomhandle says:

Last time I tried to play KOTOR-II I had a difficult time getting it to work under Windows. It did work rather well under Wine though, so for those running that other operating system, it’s worth a try. I can’t remember the exact issues I was having, or at what point in my OS-hopping this was, or what I needed to do to have it working penguin-side though, so apologies – not very helpful there. :)

20. Juan Carlo says:

I tried installing this the other day only to discover that one of my CDs has a huge scratch which prevents it from installing. It pissed me off.

I kind of wish it would come to steam. I guess I could just pirate it guilt free, since I do own it, but it’d be easier just to download through steam.

• aepervius says:

Normally I don’t recommend downloading it from pirate bay, but if you paid for it, and a scratch is stopping the install, it is on the pirate bay with a good download speed. i know because my disc 4 is scratched and I had to download it too. Tough disc 1 still work and the copy protection pass under win 7 64 bits OK.

21. Lemming says:

Makes Mass Effect look like ass…..effect ¬_¬

22. WedgeJAntilles says:

Really glad to hear they got rid of the HK factory level (note: despite popular belief, it was not another planet, but was downstairs from the installation you visit on the surface of Talos early on) — I played it on an earlier version of the restoration mod, and the level was actually completely impossible to beat. It also contained exactly zero story: there were no cutscenes or dialog of any kind, though it’s possible they existed and the mod team hadn’t added them yet. Still, very disappointing.

The rest of the mod is fantastic, though. The cut dialog actually makes the damn game make any sense at all.

• CarrotyMrTaters says:

Actually there was another droid planet – it was supposed to be after a short visit to Korriban, where you would find Master Vash, still alive (with lines recorded), and then deal with her. The HK factory took place during the Ravager mission on Telos, where HK-47 would find it and destroy. I can’t say if they’re in the 1.8 mod, but I’ve certainly seen playthrough’s of both, though i believe the factory planet was still mostly incomplete (apart from Vash) back then.

23. Drake Sigar says:

When I die I want to be buried with this mess. This is the game which gave me a completely new outlook on the awful Starwars prequel movies and allowed me to find some peace.

24. Yosharian says:

Great, now I can’t find my KotOR2 box. Typical!

Bluerps says:

Heh. Normally, when Richard Cobbett writes about a game I remember fondly, he usually says that it was mostly crap, and then backs that up with some facts. Then I just sit there and think “Man. He’s probably right.” Then I’m sad.

But not this time! Yay!

I hope I find time to play this.

• Richard Cobbett says:

Nope. Loved KOTOR 2, except for the ending. (waves little flag with Kreia’s face on it)

Bluerps says:

I have to confess, I don’t remember much about the ending. I recall that I was disappointed and that I hoped that Kotor 3 was already in development.

Actually, I still hope that.

26. MOKKA says:

Looks like this is going to be the last big game I’m going to play on my old PC. The new one’s getting a new operating System (XP is just a tad old by now) and I’m probably getting put of by all this weird compatibility-stuff.

27. Iliya Moroumetz says:

Oh, Kreia…. you make Samus Aran, Femshep, Alyx Vance, and Jade from BG&E all look like cardboard caricatures.

Seriously, this woman can easily be labeled evil, but she’s not. She can be manipulative, but not always in malicious ways. She’s bitter and resentful, but at the same time, shows so much growth of character throughout the course of the game that it almost makes her seem like she’s still learning.

In addition, her voice actor Sara Kestelman, is a trained and accomplished Shakespearean actress. Seriously, when she goes into her monologues at the end of KOTOR2, you can’t NOT listen!

tl;dr: Kreia’s one of the best developed female characters, if not the most three dimensional character in a game, ever! Yes, that’s my opinion, but if that’s not the case, she certainly deserves some major recognition for being such a deep and compelling character.

28. bwion says:

I’ve always thought that KOTOR 2 was the best 3/4ths of an RPG that I’ve ever played. I’m looking forward to getting to play the last 1/4th.

29. Yosharian says:

So when is KotOR2 coming out on Steam? =S

30. Alexrd says:

I didn’t like KotOR II, but I have to give props to the modders here. This is indeed one of the reasons why PC Gaming is king.

Good job.

Xyvik says:

Hmm. Honestly, I didn’t much care for the story of KOTOR II…Revan’s story was much better, and a much bigger twist. However, hands-down the characters of K2 were significantly better, as was the dialogue, with the exception of trying to shoe-horn in a certain favorite assassin droid simply because he was popular.

I did, however, immediately stop the game and uninstall it when they tried to tell me that a MandalMotors StarViper Weapons Platform (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/StarViper-class_attack_platform) was the much-vaunted and far superior Basilisk War Droid (http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Basilisk_war_droid). You can do whatever you want to certain parts of Star Wars stories and history, but screwing up the Basilisk was an unforgivable sin and I shall never forgive them for that.

• CarrotyMrTaters says:

It’s amusing that in the articles you link, it’s very much explained why the change took place (plus K2 is set 4k years in the past), and that lucasarts agreed with it.
      K2 didn’t really have a twist either.

Xyvik says:

You can worship Avellone all you want but I vehemently disagree with the man that the original Basilisk War Droids “looked stupid.” That was an arrogant and completely unnecessary change, and it had to be retconned. LucasArts agreeing with the change doesn’t mean jack squat either: they agree to anything that will make them money. Just look at Force Unleashed.

Also, (this is based only on memories from many years ago) I got the distinct impression that they tried to play Kreia’s many mood swings as “twists.” Am I wrong? I honestly don’t remember.

• Keeper_Deven says:

What mood swings?

Xyvik says:

I haven’t played this game in ages, but “mood swings” was a not-entirely-successful way of insulting the way Kreia kept going from manipulative to nice, from dark to light, and everything in between. That, at least, is the impression I walked away with from the game. Was there really a reason she kept doing all that, or am I just remembering the game wrong because it’s been so long?

• Keeper_Deven says:

I played the game about a month ago, and I don’t recall her being particularly nice at any point. She seemed quite intent on refusing to stroke the player’s ego.

• Lukasz says:

Yeah. Kreia criticized you on every step… she stroked Revan’s ego but not yours.

and just checked and the original droids do look stupid. but heck. the walker from second movie also are one of the most idiotic things ever so i presume for you star wars fans the comment might be offensive.

but that’s why i love KOTOR 2. it was such un-SW game, it is just brilliant.

ffordesoon says:

You have very silly priorities if a minor retcon of an extremely obscure bit of lore makes you uninstall a game you were apparently quite enjoying up until that point.

• Gvaz says:

“bigger twist” yeah if you like shit shoved in your face from a fucking mile away over and over again. BORING

Xyvik says:

What a way to suddenly turn a friendly discussion into a swearing fest! You sir or madam, are an idiot and are uninvited to any future conversations.

As for allowing a small retcon to make me uninstall the game, that wasn’t it. It was the final straw. The game up until then was littered with plot holes, unfinished side quests, and so many bugs that I had to hard reboot the computer several times a play session. Already frustrated and angry, I gave up when they went and changed my Basilisks. It might be small to some, but it was just enough to make me give up.

I might, however, give this mod a try. It looks to fix many of the plot holes, unfinished side quests, and bugs. I’ll give it an objective second try soon enough.

32. Nimic says:

How’s the difficulty on this, then? I think I read years ago that they were ramping the difficulty up quite significantly. I’m not sure how that sits with me. I’ll try it out anyway, though. I just hope I don’t have to basically hardcore it to get any fun out of it.

• Fiatil says:

It’s not hard at all. If you’re worried about it go Light Side Guardian/Jedi Weapon Master or Dark Side Consular/Sith Lord and you’ll light saber/lightning the fuck out of everything and it’ll be a cake walk. It’s not very hard with any character class really, but either of those two and you’ll be fine.

ffordesoon says:

It’s imbalanced as hell and fun as hell because of how imbalanced it is. If you’ve beaten the original KOTOR, KOTOR II is an absolute cakewalk.

33. Jerakal says:

Well at least someone can finish a Bioware game properly, since apparently they can’t anymore.

jaheira says:

It was Obsidian not Bioware. There’s no way Bioware would have signed off on a game in the shoddy condition this was released in.

• Jason Moyer says:

There’s no way Bioware would make a game with writing of that quality or real choice-and-consequences either.

In its released state, with cut content and bugs and whatever, KotOR II still blew the first game out of the water in every area.

• dorquemada says:

Four words (and two numbers): Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3.

ffordesoon says:

DA2, maybe. ME3, no. DA2 was clearly rushed, but it wasn’t nearly as unpolished as KOTOR II was on release. ME3 does feel like it was streamlined as much as possible to meet a certain EA-set deadline, but that’s a different thing than a rush job. Also, both of those games had actual endings. Terrible endings, to be sure, but endings. KOTOR II has a “the dog ate my ending” note taped to the spot where its ending should be.

• dorquemada says:

ME3 had those sidequests you could get by eavesdropping that updated randomly if you did them – that is, sometimes updated, sometimes not. And you could lock yourself out of some conversations if you talked to Alice before Bob. I remember encountering other signs of rush job when playing and would argue the whole idiot plot was a result of that…either way, “Bioware can sign off games in shoddy condition” still stands.

KOTOR2 technically did have an ending of sorts. I imagine it feels differently because of contrast – everything before it was so damn great, unlike in aforesaid two titles, where stupid ended with stupider.

slerbal says:

I never played KOTOR2 because everyone told me to stay clear. I must really try and give it a go at some point. Either way – this is very cool news – congrats to the modders for this :)

35. NathanH says:

I guess they probably haven’t been able to address the fact that the combat, as in all 3rd edition based games, goes all to hell at high enough level? Still, I had a lot of fun playing until near the end when both the story and the gameplay had turned to mush. It’s probably my favourite game by those people. I don’t really get on board with the whole “deconstruction” thing, it just seemed a good collection of interesting and non-standard Star Wars stories. This is probably one reason I like it much more than Avellone’s other work, which usually seems rather forced, as if he is trying to be clever instead of just being clever.

ffordesoon says:

KOTOR II – even vanilla KOTOR II, with the shit ending – makes KOTOR look like crap.

There. I said it.

• dorquemada says:

Not exactly crap, I would say. More “Sunday morning cartoon for preschoolers who are yet too undeveloped to understand Harry Potter, book 1″. At least that’s how I felt playing 1 after 2. Also, all that talk about Revan being a genius in KOTOR2, and you’re controlling Forrest Gump.

• bill says:

The whole game felt like a pale clone of KOTOR to me to be honest… but maybe the bugs and missing sections and horrendous ending just obscured it’s greatness. Maybe what i thought was a point by point rip off of KotoR was just a point by point deconstruction…

37. PearlChoco says:

So how does KOTOR1/2 compare to the Mass Effect trilogy? Pretty much the same thing, or more like real RPG’s? Better, worse?

• Alceste007 says:

The Mass Effect series while pretty good is fairly heavy on the action side. The Kotor series is a more straight laced RPG. The combat in the Kotor series was the weak part for me. That being said, while I liked Kotor 1, I was never able to get through the buggy mess that was Kotor 2. This new mode might inspire me to try again.

38. bill says:

It sounds really tempting, but the ending of the first one soured me on it so much that I have such negative memories of the whole thing. I’m not sure I can face going back and playing it all again.