Clickclick: Titan Quest’s Big Anniversary Edition Update

Today, in news I didn’t think I’d be writing: peachy-keen action-RPG Titan Quest [official site] has received a huge update, more than ten years after its release. Everyone who owned Titan Quest on Steam is now upgraded to the Anniversary Edition, where performance is improved, bugs are fixed, balance is tweaked, GameSpy guff is cut, and oh, the Immortal Throne expansion is included free too. Cripes! The game’s now sold on GOG and all. Unlike the terrible creature wearing the skin of Atari, the creature that’s trying on the skin of THQ seems quite friendly so far.

It’s a cracker of a patch – check out the patch notes and coo as they keep scrolling down, down, ever down. It sounds like everything you’d want or need to update Titan Quest for modern computers with our big fancy screens (UI scaling! more zooming!) and our not-wanting-GameSpy-anywhere-near-our-Internet (the Steam version supports Steamy multiplayer bits like Friend invites too, not to mention a Steam Workshop for mods). That’d be peachy in itself. The huge balance overhaul, though, ooh that’s a nice touch beyond what’s necessary.

Everyone who owned Titan Quest on Steam is now upgraded to the Anniversary Edition, which includes the expansion whether you had it or not.

If you don’t already own it, hey, Titan Quest Anniversary is on sale. It’s down to £4.49/4,99€/$4.99 on Steam for the next week and £3.89 on GOG. I don’t believe the Anniversary update is coming to ye olde CD-based Titan Quest but heck, that’s a minor problem for such a big gesture.

“After our name change from ‘Nordic Games’ to ‘THQ Nordic’, we wanted a running start for our new identity and had to think about how to begin the new era with the most positive connotation possible (for a publisher),” the publishers say in the launch announcement. Yeah, this isn’t bad.

As for Titan Quest developers Iron Lore, well, they’re long-dead but a fair few members did go on to found Crate Entertainment and make new action-RPG Grim Dawn.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Regibo666 says:

Absolutely love Titan Quest. Great excuse to re install. I know people say Grim Dawn is the spiritual successor but it never had the effect on me that Titan Quest did.

• Underwhelmed says:

Titan Quest is permeated by a pleasantness that very few other ARPGs have. Even Torchlight has really dark undertones of corruption underlying it’s cartoonish outward appearance.

I loved TQ for its playfulness, something that Grim Dawn lacks.

• dr.denton says:

To me TQ is the only ARPG – or any computer game for that matter – that got the metaphor of travel right.
        I just gives you a sense of place and makes you feel like your hero really is travelling across the world, something even D3 utterly failed at (also: Bond Villains … yuck).

What ultimately made me quit TQ was the absolutely awful balancing and very irritating “animation lock” when attacking.

• Gus the Crocodile says:

Absolutely. I’m a big fan of Grim Dawn, Path of Exile etc, but I find the trend (really strong for a while there, hopefully passing a little now?) of making these games “dark” really tiresome and a bit infantile. TQ’s clean and bright aesthetic served it really well for me.

2. Hobbes says:

The patch notes are *EPIC*, seriously.

They go on, and on, and on, and on, and on… it’s like Lord of the Rings in patch note format. I got two thirds of the way down and was expecting to see an entry along the lines of “The Hobbits are being taken to Isengard!”

• iniudan says:

Thank for making 11 years old meme stuck back into my head.

Grizzly says:

“Gandalf’s head should no longer clip trough Bilbo’s ceiling”

“Enhanced smoking particle effects”

“Wraith AI can now properly spot fires from a distance”

“Enhanced water particle effects”

“Legolas should now be slightly less overpowered”

“Considering Sam’s extreme worth in the mid and late game, added a rudimentary AI routine to ensure that he will keep following the player even after dismissed from the party”

“Fixed the invulnerability modifier getting confused between ‘Man’ (the Race of Man) and ‘man’ (the gender), just like we did.”

“Players can now choose to retire from the game or continue playing in an open world”

• Lycan says:

That was fantastic, I just laughed and laughed so hard :D

Having said that, the exact line is “They’re taking the Hobbits to Isengard!”

3. vorador says:

I think i will give the new Anniversary version a twirl.

• Czrly says:

Me too… but I’m ordering a cheap mouse to kill, first – there’s no way I’m destroying *another* top-end gaming mouse on this game!

• JustOneWay says:

I seem to remember I was about a third of the way through this game before I discovered that holding down shift and attack saved you having to repeatedly click to attack.
        Mouse button saver mode!

• Lowbrow says:

You can hold down L-Click to keep attacking the same target. Don’t know if it is a new addition, but I seem to remember it in the original.

4. protorp says:

This is fantastic news; my wife, bro-in-law and I had a blast playing through TQ years ago, and just last night I was telling her how Grim Dawn (which I’m chugging through solo at the mo) felt great, but fell a bit flat in comparison due to the less characterful setting. Will be interesting to see whether I carry on with GD or not after giving this new edition of TQ a little test run…

5. UncleLou says:

I was just about to buy this (ANY excuse), only to be told (as the article says as well) that I already have it in my library.

Best loot em up, with the possible exception of Diablo 2.

6. Michael says:

The game physics used to get really messed up at high frame rates, I wonder if that’s fixed with this patch. I didn’t see any indication in the patch notes.

7. Urthman says:

Titan Quest has some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets in games. And I was surprised how often the little bits of (mostly optional) dialogue the various NPCs have are slightly better written and voice-acted than I would expect for this sort of game.

Andy_Panthro says:

I played it for a bit ages ago, and then drifted away to other things.

It does look fantastic though, so I should really go back and give it a proper go.

9. DaceX says:

A lot of evenings were spent doing long sprints through these ancient lands. So glad it finally got some official fixes, the fanpatch is pretty much obsolete now.
    And look at those balance-changes. Dream did not get hit as hard as I would have expected, and quite a lot more skill became more interesting to focus on thanks to fixes, new scalings, and buffs. Will probably dive back in this weekend.

10. Viral Frog says:

Wow. I’ve been on an ARPG kick lately with D3 and Grim Dawn. I have TQ, but never really played it much. By the time I got around to it, it’s age was definitely showing.

Can’t wait to get home and give it a go tonight! These are some promising patch notes. Nordic has been doing some dang good work with the IPs they obtained from THQ.

11. Cyrus says:

Sounds like an instant buy for me, absolutely adored the game when it came. Always wanted a sequel.

12. JuJuCam says:

My favourite way to play TQ used to be to install a mod that would increase the amount of enemies to absurd numbers, and plough through the hordes with powerful magic.

Never actually finished the game, mind, but I had a hell of a time regardless.

13. PancakeWizard says:

This is awesome, and I hate to nitpick but it would’ve been nice if they really did merge it with the old TQ Steam entry as now I’ve got Titan Quest, Titan Quest Anniversary Edition and Immortal Throne in my library list.

• Falcon says:

The “hide this game in my library” option under categories is perfect for all of the now obsolete games that get replaced by ultimate/upgraded/GoTY/what-have-you editions of games. I’m up to 17 now.

14. Dare_Wreck says:

Oh wow, I’ve been really looking forward to this since they announced it… a year ago?? I can’t remember how far back they kind of half-announced this in the Titan Quest discussion board on Steam.

15. Fry says:

I had no idea this was in the works, and was just lamenting the lack of UI scaling while trying to play this recently. My poor eyes.

Well done to them.

16. Tayh says:

God fucking damnit. Why is stuff like this always steam exclusive?
    No love for those who bought the game and its expansion on CD?

• malkav11 says:

It’s not Steam exclusive. See: link to

If you mean why aren’t they giving this to people who only own copies on CD, well…there’s no easy way to track that. But it’s on sale for $5 right this very moment, and I personally would pay $5 never to have to break out the CDs, much less get all the improvements this contains.

• Graerth says:

Break out the cd’s?

I’d need to go digging for an actual drive to put those in (haven’t bothered to install one for almost 10 years soon).

• Tayh says:

How about paying ~40€ for the base game, ~40€ for the expansion, and then be told “Neener neener! You didn’t buy our game for 85% off on steam! No freebie for you!”?

• golem09 says:

That’s like saying “I bought the VHS of Titanic on release, why don’t I get it for free on amazon video?”

• lglethal says:

I have the old Betamax version of Die Hard. Why cant I get the Blu-Ray Special Edition for free now? Waaah waahh

On a slightly less douche vein – if you still have the CD’s and the original CD key try to activate it on Steam, a lot of those old keys work and then you get it in your library. And probably get the upgrade as well..

• cookiesnap says:

As it’s already been said, it’s discounted by 75% for the whole week, it’s 5 euros, i don’t think it’s too much if you REALLY want the “immortal” edition xD

Comment on this story