Lots Of Stealthy Murder In Ghost Recon Wildlands Trailer

Oye! Ghost Recon Wildlands [official site] has a new 12-minute trailer showing off a stealthy night-time mission. We last saw Ubisoft’s latest Clancy-em-up at E3 when they went through the same level during the daytime in a slightly louder and more explosive manner. I am happy to report that this one is much quieter. And by that I mean there is no phony banter and combat chatter between the players. Only a nice man with a nice voice explaining things as the team goes about their silent killing spree. Come watch it and nod approvingly.

I think my favourite moment is when the lights get killed and a baddie gets a few shots off, making everyone jumpy. Then the rebels get released and things become chaotic. I know that this is a heavily planned demonstration – something that very likely took the creators of the video multiple takes – but there is something very satisfying and ‘action movie’ about the way it all goes down. Well done, video team.

In this sequel the Ghosts are romping around an open-world Bolivia and having a go at the War On Drugs. Typical. You’ll be able to play co-op with three of your severe, anti-drug pals, but you can also choose to trust in AI partners. Adam killed some people during a hands-on and came back happy with the way things looked. There were none of the Division’s bullet sponges, he reported, but he didn’t get a look at just how efficient these single-player bots will be. I guess we will know on March 7.

From this site

1. SMGreer says:

Wasn’t too impressed with earlier stuff (actually a fan of the series, tho Future Soldier or Future Warrior…whatever the last one was called was meh) but that video really piqued my interest. Nice co-op action, nice tension and stealth. Reminds me of a lot of MGSV, for better or worse.

It’s heavily scripted of course but promising all the same.

2. 2lab says:

BASE jump from a helicopter is not a thing. Why can’t they resist trying to be cool.

cockpisspartridge says:

Isn’t that just skydiving?

• Scraphound says:

Cool sells and realism doesn’t. Simple as that.

• April March says:

Plus, cool is cool and realism isn’t.

Well, it can be, but only occasionaly.

• brgillespie says:

Special Forces HALO from a Chinook:

• hotmaildidntwork says:

That’s a HALO jump. To base jump requires jumping off a fixed point, such as a cliff of building. The only way to base jump out of a helicopter would be if the helicopter were had landed on top of a something tall first.

• shde2e says:

From up high it kinda looks like a game map.

AutonomyLost says:

This *screams* MGSV, and I hold no grudges against that. Everything is derivative; this seems to take equal-parts Ghost Recon: Future Soldier and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain and unite them, if non-symbiotically, to create a pleasing realization of future/current guerilla warfare in our world’s lovely southern hemisphere… With next-to-invincible U.S. Special Ops soldiers.

I hope the map is substantial, and substantive, and the game looks at LEAST as good as this clip, as it does not particularly impress me as far as what, specifically, the PC platform is capable now-a-days.

And, to be honest, this game is a foregone conclusion insofar as being a must-buy for me. But a little criticism is deserved, right? Particularly for Ubisoft.

• Kollega says:

I have to say, the gameplay actually looks pretty damn fun, in the sense of teaming up with friends for co-operative special ops missions. And the weather effects are just amazing compared to a lot of other open-world shooters, which is something I’ve long wanted in the genre. So for me, it would be a must-buy also, with only the setting/tone being a big point against the game. I don’t even care it’s made by Ubisoft, it looks that good.

Still… I’d honestly rather have Mercenaries 3 instead, I think. Sigh.

Nauallis says:

You know what really adds to the stealthy murder? When your super-stealthy creeper badass hero commando steps on a land mine! BOOM! Didn’t see that one coming, did you, super-stealthy creeper badass hero commando!? Who’s the stealthy one now?

…I’m guessing land mines don’t feature in this game, because ragequitting. And realism. Are there land mines in MSGV?

5. bramble says:

This is looking pretty good, honestly. I played MGSV for a bit, ,but bounced off it quickly. Just a little too weird, you know? But this looks like a lot of fun to play multiplayer.

6. brgillespie says:

Setting aside the morality of the drug war and its various effects, organized crime perpetrated by Mexican drug cartels is incredibly vicious, typically putting the savagery of organizations such as ISIS to shame.

Waging a “ghost war” against drug cartels is like special ops fighting against the Nazis. They’re seriously bad, depraved organizations, perfect villains for military-style videogames.

• allthegoodonesweretaken2 says:

…but more importantly, they’re not US citizens

• brgillespie says:

More importantly than that, it’s easy to de-humanize members of criminal organizations who regularly string up their victims, mutilate their genitals, then remove their faces before killing them. As stated, excellent cannon fodder for a military videogame.

• Distec says:

But… but… US foreign interventions… human rights… Western imperialism… GREAT SATAN…

Er, y’know?

• Kollega says:

If this game will turn out to be Wolfenstein: The New Order of open-world terrorism simulators (which, looking at Just Cause and Mercenaries, are well and truly their own genre :P), I can actually imagine it coming off rather well. Who knows, maybe the game will pleasantly surprise all the people who complained about the questionable choice of a setting (including me)… the chances of that are as slim as befits a special ops story about facing insurmountable odds, but one can always hope.

7. ObiDamnKenobi says:

So when are we going to be done with this “tagging” and magical tracking of enemies for the rest of the game nonsense? You know, so stealth games would require a brain again..?

• KenTWOu says:

This is a stealth action game, action requires more enemies than stealth, it’s hard to keep tracking of multiple moving enemies at once, you know, it’s a limit to the human mind’s capacity, that’s why ‘tagging’ will always be there.

8. v1tr1ol says:

My favorite moment was when I became certain I won’t give them a single dollar for any game they release. After SC:Double Agent it all went downhill and after Division…oh man…makes me wanna puke.

9. anHorse says:

Man if there wasn’t the absolute co-op focus I’d be interested in this

10. TheSplund says:

Damn, another third-person shooter – I do hope they make first person optional and not just when looking down the scope

• Chaz says:

Same here. I think currently this will work the same as Rainbow 6 Vegas but without the cover mechanic. So you only get an FPS view when aiming down the sights. It would be nice to have the option to switch perspectives, but I guess a full always on FPS view would mean them having to work on doing vehicle interiors etc, a lot of extra work.

However I really enjoyed R6 Vegas so I’m keeping an eye on seeing how this turns out.

• TheSplund says:

I guess this is more Splintercell (which I enjoyed on the whole) than R6 Vegas. R6V’s over-the-shoulder view was just that and not a ‘look-at-my-character-over-there-wiggling-his-arse’ view.

cpt_freakout says:

the wart on drugs

12. PiiSmith says:

Because it seems so focused on COOP I am interested. This could be a good game for my son and me to play together.

13. SuicideKing says:

Yup it reminded me of MGSV too.

But some things were a bit weird – AI seemed a bit too blind, captured rebels in jail already had guns with them for some reason, and of course they just left a multi-million dollar helicopter in the field.

I hate those enemy markers too, hope there will be a way to turn them off.

(And that wasn’t base jumping).

• KenTWOu says:

Captured rebels didn’t have guns with them. Each group of rebels run to a certain point first, where they got the guns and only then started shooting.

• SuicideKing says:

Well, that makes a little bit more sense, still kinda convenient.

14. Jerkzilla says:

It strikes me as a bit gratuituous, considering they just gunned people down easily in the daytime playthrough. How do you really justify stealth when it’s less of a hassle to simply kill everyone?

I mean I like stealth, but with recent games it feels like you have to actively hold yourself back when playing them.