The Division is having a free weekend

Happy news for fans of bullets and snow. Shooty third-person not-quite-MMO The Division [official site] is free this weekend, which is probably enough time to murder everyone in New York. As usual with these things, progress will carry over if you choose to buy it afterwards. But you can always just take in the atmosphere for the weekend and never return. It’s quite to nice plod around Hell’s Kitchen in the fog, watching dogs poop (see above) and listening to angry people shout at you from the windows.

There already is a free trial thingy for The Division, but that normally only lets you play until you hit level 8 or until you’ve shot at angry bikers and union men for a total of 6 hours. This free trial will be “on hiatus” during the free weekend, says Ubisoft.

If you are freeloading in earnest over the weekend, you’ll also have to level up a bit to get to the best part of the multiplayer, the Dark Zone. That’s where you can die to a group of ambushing fellow players who want all your things. Excellent.

We quite liked the Division, even though it’s total junk food of a game, and it has seen a lot added since release. The Underground expansion added a randomised “dungeon” generator set in the subways and tunnels beneath the city. And the Survival expansion added a great new mode that is tough as hell but hugely satisfying. So far Ubi are planning two updates in “the coming months” as part of the game’s second year of shtuff.

Anyway, you can get the free weekend on Uplay. It starts tomorrow from 5pm UTC and lasts until Sunday at 8pm UTC. The game is still normally about £40, so it’s a good chance to take a pop.

1. draglikepull says:

Does this price produce a #DIV/0! error?

2. gabrielonuris says:

You know, I’ve lost my job 10 months ago, it’s being painfully hard to find a job in a age when unemployment seems to be “normal”, sometimes I don’t have money even to order a damn pizza and I’m reaching that point in the bottom where I don’t know what’s worse: the fact that I’m broke and a useless weight to my family, or the fact that people around me are starting to judge me as if their lives were perfect and I’m the only one on earth in this situation.

But then I entered here on RPS and saw that header image. I laughed as loud as the happiest man on earth. I just wanted to thank you!

• Daymare says:

You’re certainly not alone. A good friend of mine has finished her studies about a year ago and she’s having a rough time finding anything, too. She’s living with her parents. Such fun at 25.

I think most people I know had job draughts in their lives one time or another.

3. xcalliber_akhil says:

Lol

Cyphran says:

You know, I live in NYC. And own a dog. And boy are there a lot of pooping dogs here. That screenshot is as accurate as my screenshot of a plastic bag stuck to a fence blowing in the wind. Say what you will about Ubisoft, but this game is an amazing representation of the city. So accurate I can often navigate around to find a mission just from knowing New York.

5. Cyrus says:

Tried earlier this winter and it ain’t nothing special. It could be more singleplayer friendly imo. But feeling is that it gets boring kind of fast.

6. DanMan says:

Image caption: “The Division. It’s full of shit.”

7. racccoon says:

Yes, i’m in for sure :)

8. tslog says:

Still not worth the price.

Grinding away in a dull rote lifeless game, is a waste of time and patience.

9. Biggus_Dikkus says:

lets play same 4 missions from level 1 to 30.
    Great enviroment dull gameplay.

10. Howl says:

The game was such a wasted opportunity. They made the most beautiful environment and then did nothing with it. The Dark Zone was a terrible implementation of PvP too. They should have had three-faction PvP throughout the city with different gear and abilities for each gang and different campaigns.