Tyranny: Bastard’s Wound starts oozing in September

Oh so it’s fine for Obsidian to name the first Tyranny [official site] expansion Bastard’s Wound but it’s “inappropriate” and “a sackable offence” for me to rename the RPS news section to Horace’s **** Shower of ****shack Bucket**** [that is correct -ed.]. Wow, what a double standard! Fine then. Bastard’s Wound, you may already know, is off to a new area for ten or so hours of questing and to better get to know several companions. Now publishers Paradox have announced that Bastard’s Wound will launch on September 7th, two weeks away.

Bastard’s Wound will send us to Bastard’s Wound, a refuge for people fleeing from our evil Overlord. There (by which I mean the settlement of Bastard’s Wound in the expansion Bastard’s Wound), “The player must decide what is to become of the inhabitants as they mete out Kyros’ justice,” Paradox say.

“Featuring new characters and storylines, Bastard’s Wound takes a closer look at the race of the Beastmen, the fate of the refugee settlements, and all-new companion quests featuring three of Tyranny’s most memorable party members: Verse, Barik, and Lantry.”

Bastard’s Wound will cost $14.99.

If Activision could rename Destiny or Call of Duty or something else I’ll have to write about loads to **** Shower of ****shack Bucket**** [Alice… -ed.], I’d be ever so grateful.

Drib says:

Well I’m now trying to work out what words would fit in that proposed title, but I can’t make any really go in properly.

If you take my meaning.

2. gruia says:

such a great IP, awesome writing. best ive seen in over a decade

• wombat191 says:

Kyros approves of this post and wont have you burned alive for 2 more weeks

• TheDandyGiraffe says:

Yeah, except for the last act, which was obviously left unfinished and seems ridiculously hurried and incomplete. Well, it’s Obsidian, I don’t know what I expected.

• PegasusOrgans says:

3. Hatman says:

If you want to write about titles in this vein, a few months ago gave us Bastard Bonds, an incredibly strange indie tactical RPG themed around leather daddies.

• NetharSpinos says:

There was also an old 90’s platformer called Space Bastards.

• NailBombed says:

… and the always amusing Stealth Bastard : Tactical Espionage Arsehole. Which got Bowdlerized to Stealth Inc for the sequel….

• Siesta says:

And the highly mature Speccy game, How To Be A Complete Bastard

4. Samudaya says:

Combat in this game is actually fun, yet somehow Pillars of Eternity with it’s tedious micromanagement and unexciting art style considered superior.

• ChrisT1981 says:

My thoughts exactly. I wanted to love PoE, being a great fan of Baldur’s Gate 1 and 2. But the writing was so uninspiring at least in the Starting bits. And in addition it had the same Problems with combat that every D&D based game has: gimped Magic to the Point it is actually stupid to have a mage in the party over virtually any other class.

Tyranny did both so much better. Yes the ending was a bit weaksauce. I am still hoping for a sequel though as I really like the Tiers. Looking Forward to replay with the DLC.

• Mongward says:

Tyranny has my everlasting love for making a flexible, but manageable magic system. As a huge fan of magic in games (I typically play a wizard-class in any game I pick for my first playthrough) getting to craft my own spells is a godsend, and it’s much more enjoyable than the number crunching of Lichdom.
      The combat itself I didn’t mind, really, it never distracted me, and was pleasant enough. Pillars tried too hard, but its mechanics didn’t work too well with a D&D-styled combat. Honestly, why do I need a mage to have a warrior’s stats to do any reasonable damage? The way the system was making a conversationalist character was actually detrimental to any form of combat.

5. Jane Doe says:

So what, an expansion that doesen’t actually expand the botched ending? Wth Obsidian …? I want to meet Kyros and wage war against her, not manage a refugee crisis!

Also, really not interested in the beastmen, but that’s just personal taste.

• Werthead says:

The war against Kyros is more fitting for a bigger-budgeted sequel rather than an expansion, I think.

• PegasusOrgans says:

This is what happens when a school system has failed. People unable to read… or unwilling? “Launching alongside Bastard’s Wound will be a free update giving Tyranny new bits “including new voice acting, expanded content in the game’s third act, and an all-new path to an unseen ending.””

• Someoldguy says:

You’re reading an awful lot into that ‘expanded content’ that is incidental to the 10+ hours of new content in the new area that they want to talk a lot about. It may provide a slightly more satisfactory conclusion but I doubt it’s going to do enough. I suspect it will be the video game equivalent of fitting the crash test car with airbags. You’re still slamming into a wall at 40mph, it’ll just cushion the impact a bit.