The RPS Bargain Bucket: Civil Gaming

By Lewie Procter on May 8th, 2010 at 12:32 pm.

Some of the prices I’ve quoted here, as usual, are conversions from one currency to another. What with the political landscape in the UK being like looking at a Kandinsky through a kaleidoscope, who knows how much these prices could change over the course of the weekend. It’s not my fault, I voted for Kang. Keep your browser on SavyGamer.co.uk for video game bargains, as always. Here’s the cream of the crop of this week’s digital discounts.

Civilization IV [Complete] – Cheap!
This is the package including all three expansions, Warlords, Beyond the Sword and Colonization. It’s available cheap from both D2D (£4.95/€4.95/$9.95) and Steam (£6.25/€10/$10) at the minute, so you can choose which you prefer. Steam also has Civ3 complete for pocket change, although a word to the wise: At first I thought this would be a great netbook friendly game, but apparently Civ4’s meagre minimum specs and better resolution support means that Civ4 is actually better for most netbooks.

And Yet It Moves – £3.99/€4.47/$4.97
Gravity shifting puzzle platformer made out of paper. Alec said is has “Simplicity and cleverness in classy abundance”, and I think he is probably not lying. Demo here, RPS coverage here.

Mass Effect 1 + 2 – £23.50/€27.28/$34.95
Two entire galaxies for the price of one. The first Mass Effect took me maybe 3 hours before I fell in love with it. It is really slow at the start, but it’s mostly world-building. The combat is in the upper echelon of “good combat in games which are not really about the combat”, and the sheer density of the fiction is impressive. The sequel is an interesting one. I definitely enjoy it, and it is a good sequel, but I think they might have been a little eager to trim the fat. They fixed a lot of the minor issues of the first game, like the terrible inventory system, and cumbersome inventory management, by removing them completely. They got rid of the long lift loading times by making a lot of the areas smaller. The combat is a bit better, and when you punch a guy it feels a lot more like you have just punched a guy. You get to work for an organisation that is somewhere between S.H.E.I.L.D. and the BNP. Both bloody fantastic games and the PC versions are measurably superior to the 360 versions. RPS coverage here.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent – £7.22/€8.32/$10
Here you get to preorder and interesting looking game direct from the developers, for half price, and according to Jens from Frictional games “You can preorder from our store and then on release you will be able to get activation for Steam on request.” Which is a pretty classy offer. This is the next thing from the makers of Penumbra, the thoroughly contemporary take on classic point and click adventures, with a brilliant first person interface. Speaking of which…

Deal of the week
The Humble Indie Bundle – £Whatever you want
Remember: Don’t be a dick. Give ‘em a fair amount. £10 for the five games seems very fair, £20 seems generous. For your money, you get the ‘So good everyone and their mum already own it’ World of Goo, relaxing underwater exploratory metroidvania Aquaria, silly amorphous platformer Gish, brutal rabbit murder simulator Lugaru, and Frictional Games’ Penumbra Overture. You’ll also get a coupon to get the rest of the Penumbra Series for cheap too, if you wish to have the full set. This is a really competent take on the pay what you want model. They are sharing the money with some charities, and let you decide how much goes to who, so if you want you can even give 100% of the total to the charities. At time of writing they have raised half a million dollars, which is rather amazing. Hopefully we’ll get a detailed post-mortem analysis of the sale. All games are DRM free and work on Windows, Linux, and toy computers.

Also of note:
Mirror’s Edge – £3.95 (UK only)
AI War: Fleet Command + Zenith Remnant – £5.60/€6.50/$8.28
Scary Tank promotion on GamersGate
King Arthur: The Role-playing Wargame – £17.47/€19.97/$19.97
Shattered Horizon – £11.24/€14.99/$14.99, or less with a 4-pack
The D2D Spring sale is on it’s final week in the UK, EU and USA.
Modern Warfare 2 still fails to deserve a working link.

For more cheap games, go to SavyGamer.co.uk.

Sponsored links by Taboola

Schaulustiger says:

Double post!

Why didn’t you use the other logo?

2. Carra says:

At least steam *allows me* to buy their Civ 4 package deal. Shoo Direct2Drive.

sasayan says:

Sadly, I am apparently unworthy of such a “privilege” due to my residence in one of the barbarous territories of the Far East. More money saved I suppose.

Unrelated, but barbarian has the best word origin ever. Look it up! Etymology is fun.

• bill says:

me too. You’d think there would be ONE store willing to sell it to me. :-(

• Wulf says:

The two of you (and everyone else who’s unable to buy games in their native land) should check out the RPS Data Smuggling Ring thread in the forums. It exists for this very reason! We’ll help you get the games you want.

sasayan says:

I know it’s there, but I’d just as soon save my money. It’s like buying a game with awful DRM and then pirating it when you get home. The companies will just carry on as is because they’ve already got your sale.

• Wulf says:

Well, it’s not like DRM at all, really. That’s a bit silly. Bad DRM can harm your game and really impair the gaming experience of everyone, whereas region-locked games won’t harm your computer and will offer the same experience that everyone else gets. What I’m getting at here is that region-locking won’t stop any time soon, because it doesn’t do enough harm to be noteworthy, and the only people losing out are those who live in regions outside of the sale zone.

It’s up to you, if you want to lose out, it’s your choice, but that’s just it, you’re not really sending a message by not buying the game because the game was never on sale in your region anyway, it doesn’t tell anyone anything, all it does is deny you a game that you wanted. If you wanted to take a stand against this then you’d be better off starting an advertising campaign, a site, a forum, and informing people of what they’re missing out on and getting them to write letters to publishers. Not buying a game won’t change a thing in this instance.

DRM and region-locked games are as different as chalk and cheese. In this case, the game isn’t being sold in a region because of either age restrictions (politics) or because they don’t believe they can make money in that area (business). So start a campaign, let it be known that they would make money, or campaign against whatever restrictive laws are denying the sales. Take a stand that way.

But until the day comes when such a campaign flourishes and opens the eyes of people, the smuggling post we have set up on the RPS forums is a pretty good workaround.

3. LewieP says:

Another useful tip:

Instructions on how anyone can get into the Starcraft 2 beta for free:

• Phinor says:

UK only, makes me sad. I wonder if Blizzard has any plans to expand the beta to a larger audience or are they sticking with their pre-orders only and couple of random invites per week policy.

• Ricc says:

@Phinor:

I live in Austria and this did work for me. (Thanks, btw. ;) )

• bookwormat says:

Thx, then I will give it a try too (also from Austria).

• bookwormat says:

[Starcraft Beta Key preorder-cancel trick] I live in Austria and this did work for me. (Thanks, btw. ;) )

Nice, it worked for me too ;)

4. Sarlix says:

Wow the Humble Indie Bundle is up to 500k now. With Linux and Mac now sharing equal amounts of the pie…..Hmmm pie.

AndrewC says:

Ok, so the background seems to be obscured by super heated water droplets – almost as if the room were full of…STEAM

CONSPIRACY

6. Heliocentric says:

Serious omission.
    http://www.Direct2drive.eu has swat 4 gold for €4(~£4, ~$6) and is available world wide. This game was what irrational games did prior to bioshock, an excellent example of how x-com would be done these days.

• Frankie The Patrician[PF] says:

Oh Lord, I’ve almost completely forgotten about that one seeing it earlier.
      Thx!

7. Severian says:

Any RPS’ers willing to comment on King Arthur the RPG? I’ve read a number of reviews, including RPS coverage, and I’m intrigued but very hesitant. Sounds like balance problems, AI cheating, and periodic crashing on some machines still plague the game. True? Recommendations?

• Mac says:

I’m unsure – heard some good and bad things myself, but I do understand that you will not be able to play multiplayer (if that is your thing) with the GamersGate version. I believe you need the Steam version to play online.

• Zwebbie says:

There’s a demo out and it, IMO, gives a good impression of the final game. Don’t expect the final game to be much deeper because it includes Strongholds, because those don’t really add that much to the game.
      I haven’t ever had crashes here, but the AI cheating and balance problems are a part of the game. That said, I’m not so sure if they’re that much of a detriment; the strategy part of the game is pretty weak. The battles are a bit shallow, they play on the same set of maps over and over and there’s not a whole lot you can do during them, so I was a bit glad that I could end them quickly with overpowered archers.
      It’s, oddly enough, the text adventure part that’s by far the best about the game. Puzzles, alignment choices, riddles and exploration, with effect on the campaign map, it’s wonderfully done.
      In the end, I’d say that as a mish-mash of game types, it’s pretty neat, but if you’re looking for a pure strategy game it’s a bit poor.

• Jimbo says:

I played KA for a few hours and didn’t think it was very good. Knights of Honor is better – which is kinda like a newer version of Lords of the Realm.

8. Mac says:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is actually £8.48 including tax.

9. Bioptic says:

I paid £8.26 yesterday! Truly this crazy financial firestorm will doom us all. I assume he left it off to restore parity with the US/EU prices, since tax for those varies by region and may not even apply at all.

oceanclub says:

I would nice if the payment process allowed you to add a note; I’d like to include “I’m not being mean by giving more money to charity; it’s just that I already own three of the games!”.

P.

Thermal Ions says:

I know what you mean. I bought the pack but only interested in at most 3 of the games and already own one of them (WoG) – twice in fact. So some of my money will go to developers who’s games I’m not interested in, but kudo’s to them all for getting together and setting it up – they’ve all ended up with money they otherwise wouldn’t have from me.

11. Ocid says:

For anyone interested Game has Napoleon: Total War for £8 here along with other games on clearance here

Get Games(which i’ve never used) has Space Rangers 2 Reboot for £/$/€6.66 here

12. Corrupt_Tiki says:

I Just picked up The Command and Conquer saga for 8GBP or $18AUD in my money, which I thought was very reasonable for 13 great games, in one of the best universes established in gaming (C&C), until EA properly raped it.

13. nakke says:

Mirror’s Edge is UK and EU-only.

14. Snuffy (the Evil) says:

No love for SWAT 4?

• Will Tomas says:

Where’s the SWAT 4 deal taking place? If there is one I’d be interested…

15. Sobric says:

grabbed the ME deal. Haven’t got either game so that’s a bargain imo.

yhancik says:

I’ve been willing to pre-order Amnesia in months, looks like the perfect opportunity to finally do it ! :D
    Especially if it’s +/- confirmed that I can activate it on Steam too ^^

I hope they’ll get their 2000 pre-orders before the end of May !

17. Ocid says:

Anonymous Coward said:
    Where’s the SWAT 4 deal taking place? If there is one I’d be interested…

direct2Drive order from the US site as its only $10 there whereas its £12.50 on the UK one.

• EthZee says:

However, Amazon also have SWAT 4 Gold for £4, plus probably £2 for postage? And it’s in a box.

A box, guys. Remember those?

18. LewieP says:

To be honest I was mainly unimpressed with the discount, I recall it being much less than that more than once.

Another late entry is GOG’s Kalypso Simulation promo:

• Bassism says:

That’s really actually quite tempting. I remember having incredible amounts of fun with Creatures at a friend’s house when I was a kid. Wonder if it would hold up without the rosey tint.

Thermal Ions says:

I’m also rather tempted to pick up creatures. It was a fun distraction when I played it years ago with my son. Will probably pick it up for that occasional trip down nostalgia lane. Likely to be far easier that digging out the old disc assuming I can find it, and trying to get it working on my current OS myself.

James G says:

Ahh, Creatures was one of the ‘games that made me.’ Sparked my interested in genetics and biochemistry (Although I was always fascinated by science). Currently writing my thesis in molecular biology. (All on the ubiquitn proteasome system in S. pombe for anyone who gives a crap)

Meanwhile I see we appear to have gained a troll. Charming. I do hope someone has the Febreeze so the smell doesn’t linger.

• Vinraith says:

Is the last Creatures game (Exodus) the one to get, or is one of the earlier ones better?

James G says:

I have the fondest memories of the first two (Packaged in ‘The Albain Years’.) The third one integrated the interface into the game world, which ended up getting in the way of the elements I enjoyed. Having said that, I’m not sure I could recommend the games any more. While I adored them at the time, this was dependent on me being in my early teens, and on the fairly active community. A lot of my interest in the games came from the meta-gaming elements, such as hex-editing the genetic to create suicidal norns, writing my own objects, and playing with those created by others.

19. GamerV says:

I’m sure Amnesia will be worth what I paid for it, but it’s not really nice to lower the price like that. Having already pre-ordered it, I feel a bit silly. :( Money still doesn’t grow on trees.

20. Mark says:

woa, the humble indie bundle is really something special.

just picked up a copy at $** great stuff!

thanks RPS for bringing this to my attention!

21. Grunt says:

Pre-ordered Amnesia. The Penumbra games were some of the most wonderful, terrifying, rage-inducing games I have ever played. Here’s hoping TDD is up to that amazing standard!

22. Iain says:

Reminder that the humble indie bundle website is so bad that if you were to, say, link to the installers like thus:

[Not really very good with the being a decent person thing are you, eh? -RPS]

You can download the games for free. Basic DRM would have protected their games from being taken for free. Hey, maybe the people that stole it wouldn’t of bought it, or only bought it for a penny. But the fact remains that the humble indie bundle is embarassingly easy to pirate without risking the use of a torrent site (viruses are a deterrent, maybe not to you but to the average user).

AndrewC says:

Aren’t you classy.

• Iain says:

Not my fault these guys are such lazy coders. I’ve never heard of a website so badly made you can link to the installers.

• Jimbo says:

You realize you are actually going to be killed by an RPS vigilante group?

Don’t you understand that these games genuinely have a true market value 1000 times higher than they did last week? They aren’t just skimming off the top of a charity event here you know. What the hell is wrong with you?

(Piracy is still bad, kids)

AndrewC says:

Oh you two. This is nothing about their behaviour and everything about yours. Given the freedom to do anything, how you act reflects entirely upon you.

• bildo says:

touche

• Iain says:

I only linked to World of Goo, and with 90% piracy rates it’s safe to assume that anyone who wants it without paying already has it. If you are so offended by the idea that *gasp* a lack of DRM leads to easier piracy then you’re an idiot.

• 12kill4 says:

it is pay what you want, meaning you are quite able to pay nothing. that is the point.

• Jimbo says:

I don’t need to steal World of Goo, AC. I bought it ages ago, back when it was a viable product that could sell these kind of figures on its own merit.

• bookwormat says:

Exactly what part of “pay what you want” do you not understand?

• Vinraith says:

Yes, how dare they show respect for PC gamers. You’ll show them!

• Thants says:

You heard Jimbo, WoG isn’t “viable” anymore. If you let games go past their best-before date they go all sour.

• Jimbo says:

Well yeah, from the game creators’ perspective, that is exactly what happens to games, with very few exceptions.

Why do you think they end up having to resort to models like this in the first place? Because the game has stopped selling. Simple. If you can’t monetize the game any further, maybe you can still monetize the business model itself, or monetize an association with charity, or in this case both.

The sheer amount they are raising this week compared to last week (and that’s an assumption on my part, but one I feel absolutely confident making), entirely supports this view. The amount is out of all proportion to what the market things the games themselves are worth anymore. Only the most wilfully blind -of which there is no shortage around here- could look at this and conclude that what we are witnessing is an act of charity.

• Jimbo says:

*thinks

• Thants says:

Alright that was a little glib. Anyway, I guess there are two ways to look at it. You could argue that they’re preying on people’s sense of charity and bundling the games together to trick them into paying too much money. But you could also say that the publicity around this is just bringing people’s attention to some good indie games they might not know about otherwise.

Them making a lot more money from this then they did the week before doesn’t really prove anything. Sales and bundles regularly make more money then they would otherwise. That’s the whole point of them.

What the market thinks these games are worth is just another way of saying how much people are willing to pay for them. They can’t really be out of sync. Their site say the average payment is $8.34, which doesn’t seem high at all for 5 fairly well regarded indie games.

I’m not sure where this idea that people are saying this is a pure selfless act of charity comes from. I don’t remember reading anything like that. Of course they’re doing this to make money. But hey, if they’re making money in a way that also helps charities it seems like a win-win to me.

• Wulf says:

Spin can work both ways.

And I know spin doctors when I see them, oh yes.

Of course, they’re preying on people because that’s what they do, and the charity slider that allows you to give all the money you donate to charity doesn’t really exist, it’s either a figment in the imagination of the reader created by ELF transmitters just outside our dimension, or more easily, it’s just a cosmetic element and all of your money goes to the indie developers, anyway.

The First Society of (Ridiculous) Conspiracy Theorists called, they want their supply of foil hats back.

As for DRM, that’s just showing respect for the people who bother to donate. It’s nice of them. They’re not treating us like criminals just because some unscrupulous and despicable individuals would abuse their trust. As for arguing that DRM is necessary, they’d disagree because they want to show us respect, not because their lazy, and anyone who’d promote DRM for the sake of doing so is either particularly twisted or just arguing for the sake of it. Or maybe some kind of right-wing extremist conspiracy nut, I don’t know.

I should perhaps design DRM for the home, furniture, the car, the household appliances and so on just to suit these people who so strongly desire DRM. I’d soon have reservoirs of money made on the backs of people who’ve got too much paranoia and money, and not enough sense. :p

23. Iain says:

I donate to Oxfam, and don’t give a shit about any of those games. I just saw the links posted on 4chan and burst out laughing at how badly made the site is.

The most basic of DRM, an activation code, would have prevented this.

• cliffski says:

I love the way you describe the people behind the games as ‘lazy coders’.
      Coded many hit indie games on your own have you?

• Thants says:

Ah, the charming sociopathy of 4chan readers.

• Wulf says:

I think sociopathy is far, far too kind, personally.

24. Mr Lizard says:

Would have prevented people paying nothing for a pay-what-you-want offer that specifically gives them permission to pay nothing (if they are a dick), you mean?

• Xaositect says:

And now to sum up that lain argument in full: ” I dont like it because its bad”
      Commentators were sure that this statement alone would suffice – and the 400+ words of vitriol that followed were possibly a waste of everyone’s’ time

25. dingo says:

I hope this retard is reported / banned for posting this link!
    I bet there are sites that let you download Good old Games exe files since hey they are the unprotected installers BUT still GoG makes good money because people award their efforts to preserve the classics and enable us to play them on modern operating systems like Win 7.

I paid $30 for the bundle and split it 50/50 between devs and charity ALTHOUGH I had all but Lugaru already bought before!
    Mainly I wanted a DRM free version of Aquaria which is worth this price alone!

In times when Ubisoft and Activision try to fuck with me my money goes to indies instead!
    Cry me a river Yves!

• Iain says:

Good old games have some of the greatest games of all-time on sale, and provide a great service to gmers wanting to play abandonware classics (still waiting on them to get System Shock 2).

You are aware that indies are very dependent on donations, aren’t you? For all their talk of “cheap to produce games” and “pay what you want” their ultimate goal is to make as much money as possible. Unlike proper small developers like GSC who produce great games different to the norm, they make endless platformers and gimmicky physics games with a Flash-game artstyle and tout themselves as saviours of the gaming industry.

Just look at this latest deal. If they cared about charity, they’d give away their games for charity donations, and for proper charities too. Child’s Play is a good charity, but the EFF is a charity designed to protect self-important bloggers such as, you guessed it, indie developers. The charity angle is just a trick to guilt people into paying ridiculous amounts for sub-par games.

Indies are killing the industry in ways big developers never can.

AndrewC says:

Keep going. This is fun.

• bildo says:

Why should he be banned for showing us their lack of website coding skills? Just don’t click the link and download it. I think he was just trying to show a point.

• Jimbo says:

Actually, -setting aside my issues with this entire concept for a minute – wouldn’t it make sense if, when somebody enters an amount under the CC fees (30 cents or whatever), they get taken straight to the download link without going through with the transaction? That way they never make a loss on an individual ‘sale’.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

He could have made the point without posting the link, so I think it was slightly more than that, but in the end you can download all of these for free anyway so I don’t think it’s going to make a difference really.

Far more of a black spot on his character is that he admits to visiting 4chan :)

Strage rant about indie developers ‘killing the industry’ (how so exactly?). Also saying that only those people who give all their proceeds to charity are the ones who really care is ridiculous – somehow I doubt you’re living in a cardboard box Iain, so obviously you don’t care either or you would have given everything to Oxfam.

Finally, saying the EFF is only there to protect self important bloggers is like saying condoms are only there to protect against the conception of ill-informed nitwits.

• Iain says:

Imagine for a minute the idea of the “indy developer” didn’t exist. Pretty much every game except Penumbra would have failed miserably in a commercial environment. There is a simple reason for this – they are not worth the price that indie developers charge for. Just look at the bunde, it claims a total value of $80 but even with indies worldwide paying ridiculous amounts the average value is a rather low $10, even with the charity angle. There are flash games with more depth than the games on sale here. So we must ask ourselves, why do these games sell? They sell because of media hype, the same thing that high-budget blandfests such as Halo and MW2 use to sell millions.

The problem here is that indies are actually worse for the industry than Bungie or Infinity Ward (lol dead) ever were. For as long as gaming has existed there have been large companies using adverts and hype, and small companies making genuinely brilliant games. The beauty of smaller developers was that if they ever succeeded you could see that it was because of the high quality of their games, and not hype. Indies changed that. Now, we see mediocre games ike World of Goo being sold for $20 and selling extremely well. Smaller developers are taking less risks. They don’t make impressive mods or experimental masterpieces anymore, now they just make a platformer with a nice art style and get blogs to hype it up. Just as IGN and OXM call MW2 the greatest shooter of all time, indy sites call games like Braid the pinnacle of story-telling and platforming.

If you have any interest in seeing gaming continue to evolve and produce classics like Deus Ex and Thief again then you’re going to need to stop letting hype dictate your decisions. And stop paying $20 for a 3-hour game.

abhishek says:

<i>Just look at the bunde, it claims a total value of $80 but even with indies worldwide paying ridiculous amounts the average value is a rather low $10, even with the charity angle.</i>
      I don’t agree with your general analysis but you do make an interesting and valid point here. I wonder how much the average would move up if they had set a minimum cost for the bundle to remove the freeloaders from the equation. (By freeloaders, I mean the folks who pay 1 cent or something like that).

• Donkeyfumbler says:

You say ‘get blogs to hype it’ as if it’s just a question of sending an e-mail to any of the guys here saying

Dear X,

Please look at this mediocre game wot I have made. It might not be anything special, but I’d be very grateful if you could write about it as if were the second coming of Christ.

Many thanks,
      Indie developer who expects to become an overnight millionaire, just like all those other millionaire indie developers I have read about.

Just because you see news/previews/reviews of something all over the place, that doesn’t make it hype – it could just be good promotion of something that actually deserves to be brought to people’s attention.

You can make an experimental mod or experimental masterpiece that lots of people have heard of – I’m sure Van Gogh would have loved to have sold a few paintings in his lifetime rather than being accorded the street cred of a dead undiscovered genius.

In simple terms – Popular/ubiquitous does not necessarily equal bad, and unknown/unreported does not equal good.

PS – I thought Braid was actually rather good.

• bookwormat says:

For showing us their lack of website coding skills?

The site is actually very well implemented and 100% secure.

If you don’t believe me, go and try pirating one of their games right now. You will find that there is no way to do this that violates any copyrights. You will always have to pay at least the minimum price ($0), no matter how hard you try.

• Vinraith says:

So, to be clear, if Iain like it and it sells well it’s a masterpiece, if Iain doesn’t like it and it sells well it’s because of hype. Who knew we had the font of objective game quality right here on RPS? I’ve been such a fool to pay money for games I enjoy, I should have been paying for games he enjoys. Can I ever find redemption?

• Iain says:

Vinraith, at least address the points instead of resorting to that most goony of defenses, the “OH SO JUST COZ YOU DONT LIKE IT ITS BAD HUH EVERYTHING EVER MADE IS A MASTERPIECE” which is broken by definition.

A 3-hour puzzle game that costs $20 will never compare to 50-hour open-world shooter that costs $20. STALKER saw commercial success through it’s own merits, not by begging for sales and pulling stunts like this. Indy gaming has devolved into a pathetic circle-jerk of mediocre games and pretentious “games=art” yearnings. Take a look at the comparison between World of Goo and STALKER again (becuase both are highly successful examples of their type of game with similar price tags)

The ‘fun’ of each game is something that is both subjective and immeasurable, so it can be discounted. The length of each game isn’t. STALKER has at least 10 times the length which, while it may not equal 10 times the value, is indicative of the higher levels of work that went into it. Graphically, STALKER again shows a greater deal of effort and dedication by being in 3 dimensions, which is fraught with design challenges the 2-D developer will never encounter.

And what of each game’s impact upon gaming? STALKER showed that small developers can still be successful if they produce quality work. It slowly gained a fanbase due to the tough but fair difficulty, moddability, and allowing the player to choose how they act within the gamespace (a mark of all the greatest games of all time – Deus Ex, System Shock, Thief, Dwarf Fortress, Nethack, KOTOR, Hitman, Mass Effect). By contrast, World of Goo was heavily marketed by indie sites and showed that mediocre puzzle games could sell for high prices if you’re “indie”. It helped kickstart the current slew of flash games and physics puzzle/platformers with a different art style that are being touted frequently as a sign that small companies can succeed. Puzzle games are fun timewasters, interesting casual games to play between large and expansive games (RPG’s and PC FPS’s). Puzzle games are at their best when they are long, cheap, and interesting. Funnily enough, Popcap does better indie games than the indie developers do.

Your statement was rather pathetic, Vinraith. Attributing objective quality to a game is not HURR DURR IAIN LIKE THIS GAME BUT NOT THAT GAME, it is demonstrating a deep flaw in the nature of the games on sale here, and their overall negative impact on gaming culture that is largely ignored.

Thermal Ions says:

What was I thinking, buying WoG on pre-order and actually enjoying it and thinking I’d gotten excellent value. Thanks Iain for saving me from such a delusional position I’ve apparently been in. I await your blessing on the next game I must buy.

• Vinraith says:

That’d be a “no,” then?

• Iain says:

Are you that thin-skinned that the idea of someone disliking bad games you like renders their argument moot? If you disagree then refute my points. I actually want to debate this so if anyone is genuinely willing to try to prove me wrong, go ahead. If all you’re going to do is put on your smug face and top hat and go “[sarcasm]heh, you’re so right[/sarcasm]” then what’s the point in even responding?

• Donkeyfumbler says:

I don’t think Stalker was $20 on release, so it’s a bit unfair to compare World of Goo to it. If you want to do that then you can say that Stalker is £3.37 (cheapest price according to gametracker) and World of Goo is free (if you want to not pay for it) so which is better value now?

it could also be argued that participating in the Steam christmas sale (which is where I bought Stalker) at 90% discount was begging for sales.

Stalker also wasn’t some slow underground success story. I remember reading about it in magazines and on websites years before it was released. In fact I’d go so far to say that it was fairly liberally ‘hyped’ in the mainstream games press before release.

In the end, we pay what we think is worth it. You seem to believe we are all sheeple who merrily follow the crowd, baaing noisily as we swallow anything that is thrown at us. I’d like to think that I am every bit the discerning consumer that you obviously believe yourself to be. I judge each game on it’s merits and take the price into consideration when doing so.

I have to say I laughed at the thought that length=value. Just because a game is ‘longer’ doesn’t make it better value. There are plenty of games I have bought that I have played only a fraction of their supposed length (Oblivion springs to mind here). Did that make them better value for me?

The ‘fun’ may be ‘imeasurable’ but it’s the only thing that really matters. Saying that you can discount it says far more about your attitude to games, and to the quality of games, than anything else you have posted so far and makes it far easier for me to disregard any opinions you might have, I’m afraid.

• Vinraith says:

@Iain

The hilarious thing is, if you weren’t what you are, I’d probably be arguing on your behalf. By and large I’m not an indie game fan, I think Braid is vastly overrated, I prefer long, meaty games and indies rarely are. All that said, I’m not under the delusion that my opinion is some kind of universal truth, nor am I of the mindset that people that don’t share my taste in games are somehow wrong. Furthermore, and most importantly, I’m not such a self-righteous asshole that I go about attempting to sabotage sales of (or worse, donations towards) games just because I don’t happen to like them and can’t understand their mass appeal. By behaving as you’ve behaved, adopting the tone you’ve adopted, and posting that link up the page you’ve eliminated any possibility of a real, reasoned discussion about indie games and their effect on the industry, and for that alone you’d be worthy of nothing but mockery.

Thermal Ions says:

Your Stalker example Iain is flawed. I bought it and actually played it less than what I did World of Goo (and paid more for Stalker to boot). You are just proving Vinraith’s point. Because YOU like Game A better than Game B, played it more, thus got more hours/$ it’s objectively a better game in your mind. Doesn’t work that way – that’s what’s called subjective.

I bought the Orange box for $20, and have played 500 hours of TF2 alone. Do I judge every game purchase against this – hell no. I’ve never gotten the same hours/$ “value” from any other game, whether it’s AAA or Indie. Any comparison of games through the use of single metrics is pointless, not to mention that discounting the subjective fun factor really removes the whole point of playing games. Playing games is a form of entertainment, and to me anyway, the most import bit is the fun factor (along with the challenge factor in some games).

And what’s the development time / difficulty of a game got to do with whether it’s a good game.

Are all indie games good? No. Does that fact mean that all indie games are bad? Of course not. You’d have us throw the baby out with the bathwater.

• Iain says:

@Thermal Ions

I honestly can’t understand how you could say that STALKER isn’t as good value as a 3-hour puzzle game with no replay value simply because you stopped playing after an hour (oh god this game is too hard what is this choice bullshit give me QTE’s mummy) and then call ME subjective. Hypocrisy much?

Video-games are an interactive medium that are objectively measurable in terms of their ability to allow the player freedom within the game space and offer relatively open goals that can be accomplished in many different ways. Puzzle games are casual games that you open up, play a few levels, then turn off. They will never equal a full game in terms of interactivity and gameplay. I can understand that you don’t like STALKER but to seriously say that World of Goo is just as good is completely illogical. Length does not determine quality but if 2 games are identical and one is twice as long as the other it’s pretty obvious which is better and saying length doesn’t matter is a dumb argument left over from when Portal took years to make and had 3 hours of gameplay.

Also when discussing length avoid bringing multiplayer games into the equation. World of Goo and STALKER are single-player games of similar price (ignoring this temporary sale, world of goo is £7 more than STALKER on steam).

btw why isn’t anyone trying to disprove the fact that indies are killing the industry? Surely that’s more important than the big mean man who hates bad games?

• RobF says:

Is that the STALKER that was in development for over 5 years, nearly bankrupt the devs and eventually got all but thrown out into the world by publishers before it went any further and was released in a pretty shambolic state by the standards of any modern games? Essentially propped up by THQ to even get that far?

I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love STALKER but erm, yeah, not the best example there, kiddo.

• PleasingFungus says:

“A 3-hour puzzle game that costs $20 will never compare to 50-hour open-world shooter that costs $20… The ‘fun’ of each game is something that is both subjective and immeasurable, so it can be discounted. The length of each game isn’t.”

Wouldn’t that suggest that, say, Final Fantasy 13 must be better than S.T.A.L.K.E.R., because you can beat S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in the time it takes to complete FF13’s tutorial.

Discounting ‘fun’ just because it’s “subjective” – I could almost see an argument for that in reviewing a game (when you have to speak for many people, in a way?), but not for judging one’s own personal gaming experiences. If I spend fifty hours slogging through Game X, just barely entertained enough to keep going, and then spend five hours burning through Game Y, a fierce & terrible grin on my face for the entire time – which is a better game? Which has improved my life more?

P.S.: Personal note. I bought S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for $20, on sale. (Naturally.) I had an amazing time with it.

• JuJuCam says:

Iain, if I’m following you correctly, your argument against New Wave Indie Devs is that they are overhyped, overpriced and don’t deliver “bang-for-buck” gaming. Therefore at this rate the ENTIRE GAMES INDUSTRY is going to collapse.

And because they are INDUSTRY MURDERERS

• JuJuCam says:

Sorry premature post…

As I was saying, because they are INDUSTRY MURDERERS it’s ok to steal their work (which is being offered for free / with none of your money going to devs anyway).

Just remember that for every indie dev that manages to quit their day job and make a living off charity and sales, there are dozens, if not hundreds, that code in their spare time while they have a full time job teaching, or doing thankless IT support, or maybe even flipping burgers because nobody gives a shit about their dinky little games. Maybe we should tell them to just give up on their passion because Iain says by coding in their basement they are doing more damage to the industry than Activision’s ill-advised DRM scheme.

• Donkeyfumbler says:

@Iain.

Nice way of missing Thermal Ion’s point almost entirely. He wasn’t calling you subjective and claiming that he was being objective (that would be hypocritcal). Rather he was saying that all opinions about games in the end have to be subjective (hint – that’s why they are called ‘opinions’ and not ‘statement of facts’).

While you can exactly quantify some things about games – length of time to complete, development time, number of guns, etc – in the end the value of a game is entirely subjective. It totally depends on you and what you feel is important.

You are being subjective, Thermal Ions is being subjective and I am being subjective.

You have your opinion, and are welcome to it, but if this has shown anything, it’s that you are in the minority here and most people disagree with you. Sorry.

As for indies killing the industry – please. Just because lots of indie titles happen to be puzzle games, that doesn’t mean that there is a dearth of any other type of game. Take the humble indie bundle then (for free by the looks of it, for you anyway) – not all puzzle games are they? Recent decent games from smaller developers/companies (indie is such a bad catch-all phrase) that I have bought and enjoyed in recently that aren’t puzzle games:

Altitude
      Bullet Candy
      Galcon Fusion
      Madballs
      Plants v Zombies (does Popcap count?)
      Trine (fantastic)
      Torchlight
      Trials 2
      Super Laser Racer

Somehow I still find myself able to buy ‘proper’ games like Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age, Battlefield Bad Company and Left 4 Dead 2. All quality games, in their own way (in my opinion of course). If anything is preventing the next Deus Ex or Thief from being made, it’s the big publishers who prefer to role out Modern Warfare 53 and other assorted FPS’ – not two-men teams making puzzle games.

You were the one who made the statement so the onus is on you to provide some evidence to back it up.

Where are the quotes from people saying ‘I was going to make this obscure little game about belly button fluff but I decided to make a platform game about plumbers instead’. Point out some of these old indie masterpieces the likes of which would never be made today – I bet we can find some recent ones that are equally as good (in our opinions, of course).

• RobF says:

“btw why isn’t anyone trying to disprove the fact that indies are killing the industry?”

Because it’s such a stupid thing to say with no foundation in any sort of reality that exists outside of your own head it doesn’t actually need engaging in any meaningful manner.

“People making more games at a variety of price points from free upwards, mixing up the genre pool and having (for the most part) complete creative freedom over their works are killing the games industry”.

Yeah., That’ll be it. That and if you think -anyone- just has to “alert a blog” to get coverage and be successful riding the hype train to the bank then you’ll have to excuse me, I’ll be in the corner trying to stop myself laughing.

• Iain says:

@ The several people who have responded (to the main point, not whether or not these games are amazing)

Some small companies who produced some of the best games of all time:

Id
      Black Isle Studios
      Valve
      GSC
      Rare
      Bullfrog
      Free Radical

When these companies started out, they were all tiny. Valve and Id are particularly exceptional, in that one created FPS games and the other created a proper narrative in an FPS game. A narrative done without cutscenes, I might add.

There is a strange assumption that I hate smaller developers and therefore love larger ones. I don’t. I hate the indie culture and the games it has produced. It is a culture of hype that experiments very little. Genuine small developers who code in their spare time and want to make good games are very often overlooked because of attention whores like 2D Boy, who beg for attention incessantly and pull stunts like this (remember when they released their game without DRM and then found that the piracy rates were 90% which is no different to any PC release because pirates download every game in existence and normal gamers buy ones they really want).

The best small developers are the one’s that try and compete with large companies on their own turf. That is the only way to effect change in the industry, which is happening less and less. STALKER demonstrated that a small studio in eastern europe with a low budget could make what is considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. World of Goo shows that it’s style that matters, not substance, and that if you want instant easy success as a developer then all that is required is a quirky art style and a gimmick. Genuinely experimental games like Half Life & X-COM simply don’t happen anymore and gaming will suffer as a result. Small developers and large developers have long battled for market share, but the new wave of “indie” games is changing the industry so that big, interesting games are only made by big companies. The future of the industry is being handed to the companies you hate, so when we see Halo: Reach sell millions unimpeded by competition and Assassin’s Creed 3: Blander Gameplay Edition (now with even worse DRM!) don’t say I didn’t warn you.

If you want to beat big companies, make better games, not casual shit.

• RobF says:

“There is a strange assumption that I hate smaller developers and therefore love larger ones. I don’t. I hate the indie culture and the games it has produced. It is a culture of hype that experiments very little.”

You realise that this is nothing but a problem with your own perception rather than the reality, right?

Whilst I’m not going to be one of those stupids who argues that there’s little to no innovation in the mainstream industry (which if I were one of those stupids, I’d be a flat out liar) to say that indies don’t experiment when in the past few years I’ve played some of the most progressive and forward thinking games I’ve played in 30 years from various indies, I’ve played solid games as games and some of the most abstract experimental titles ever to be made it’s clearly you that’s wonky here not indies, y’know?

I don’t expect you to like these things, as many have stated – it’s a matter of taste, your denial of actual realworld goings on for the sake of insane hyperbole lends no credibility to any argument you might have.

You might have a point were it not for the fact that you’re utterly and completely wrong in every conceivable way.

Let’s just break this down:

“Genuine small developers who code in their spare time and want to make good games are very often overlooked because of attention whores like 2D Boy”

Wrong-o-rama! It doesn’t work like that. Shit games tend to get ignored, good games tend to get some lovely words and coverage. There’s a fair few good games that do slip through the net but really, that’s not because 2DBoy are getting coverage – often it’s more because some indies either don’t have the resources or the nouse to get their games under the noses of the press. Par for the course, that.

There’s also the good chance that just because I think something is quite remarkable and worthy of coverage it doesn’t mean that someone else will. But hey, why deal in facts when you can deal in conspiracy?

“who beg for attention incessantly and pull stunts like this (remember when they released their game without DRM and then found that the piracy rates were 90% which is no different to any PC release because pirates download every game in existence and normal gamers buy ones they really want). ”

Yeah, I remember that. What of it? What’s your point? That they released something that most publishers want to hide (as in piracy statistics) and information that lends more power to the PC gamers who’ve long argued that DRM as used is utterly fucking useless?

Boo! Down with 2DBoy for actually going someway towards trying to convince the industry as a whole to drop their retarded idiotic pirates=lost sales mentality a tad and release games sans offensive DRM. Bad, naughty, evil developers there aren’t they?

Oh, no, they were begging for attention in your eyes. Yeah, I’m sure that’s why they put that information out there. For attention. Got to be it.

“The best small developers are the one’s that try and compete with large companies on their own turf.”

Nonsense. The best small developers are the ones that make the games they want to make and do it well. The fact that ideas and concepts from these small developers who aren’t effecting change in your eyes are filtering through into mainstream games makes our survey say ur urrr.

“STALKER demonstrated that a small studio in eastern europe with a low budget could make what is considered to be one of the greatest games of all time. World of Goo shows that it’s style that matters, not substance, and that if you want instant easy success as a developer then all that is required is a quirky art style and a gimmick.”

You know GSC were effectively bailed out/forced to sort the game out fast by THQ don’t you? A small studio in Eastern Europe with a small budget who couldn’t complete their game in 7 years even with publisher support and when it did drop it was bugged to fuckery.

That sounds like a really sensible route for developers to take. Sounds like fun!

World Of Goo isn’t “style over substance”, it’s a beautifully designed piece of work with some really smart ideas, smart narrative and well, it’s just lovely. It might not be something that suits what you want to play and there’s no requirement to like it last time I looked but to say that it’s wrong to exist or shouldn’t be made in favour of something else is crazy, crazy talk.

“Genuinely experimental games like Half Life & X-COM simply don’t happen anymore and gaming will suffer as a result.”

Half Life and X-Com were “experimental” ? Cripes! That would be X-Com that built upon something that the Gollops were doing in what, 1984 and spent years afterwards refining through a series of games?

Innovation and experimentation is no less than it ever was. In fact, we’re at a point in the history of games where there’s so much going on, so much new stuff around and so many different approaches to things that we’re going through an almost second renaissance of gaming.

Your choice not to see it, natch, but it’s there and it’s happening around you whilst you’re spending time dribbling in this comments section.

“the new wave of “indie” games is changing the industry so that big, interesting games are only made by big companies”

Heh, bless. That’s just funny.

“If you want to beat big companies, make better games, not casual shit.”

Did it ever occur to you that it’s not a war and there’s room for a vast variety of games out there in all manner of different genres and styles from big to small and everything inbetween?

Nope, didn’t think so. Your loss.

• Xaositect says:

And now to sum up that lain argument in full: ” I dont like it because its bad”

• Wulf says:

Is that really what he thinks the EFF is? Good lord, the misinformation pouring off those posts could reduce the intelligence of people for miles around, I had to stop reading.

I really can’t believe that’s what he thinks the EFF is.

He’s screwing with our minds, isn’t he, to get a rise out of us? He has to be. This is like something I’d read on Not Always Right, not RPS!

Okay, Iain, I’m onto you. You’ve had your “lulz”.

26. Risingson says:

Iain, you just have proved your dubious morals. Thanks.

27. colinmarc says:

I have to ask… what is with all the little cartoon avatars people have? Did I miss the memo?

sasayan says:

Pretty sure it’s a semi-randomly generated avatar, based on your IP address. Think they’re called gravatars or somesuch.

• Starky says:

Yup, they are just default avatars for people too lazy to register and set one for themselves

• Donkeyfumbler says:

I registered, but couldn’t see anywhere where you could set your own avatar anyway?

• Vinraith says:

@Starky

Not know about gravatars doesn’t inherently make people lazy, lots of registered users haven’t got one.

@Donkeyfumbler

Here: http://en.gravatar.com/

Thermal Ions says:

Thanks Vinraith. I didn’t know, and can now tell my wife I’m apparently not inherently lazy (despite all evidence to the contrary).

• RedFred says:

Setting up a custom avatar with Gravitar is not an easy task. Something seems to be amiss with the way the whole process is handled.

28. erhebung says:

How is the PC versions of Mass Effect 1 & 2 superior to the 360 versions? Playability? Graphics? I’m curious as I’ve only played a little bit of the first one on the Xbox. It got solid reviews on both systems, didn’t it?

• erhebung says:

Gah… “How are…” Also, can confirm that Civ4 works nicely on netbooks, although I it looks a bit clutterered on my Acer…

• LewieP says:

Aiming is the big thing for me. Being able to aim precisely, with a mouse, drastically changed that game. I experienced shorter load times too.

And higher resolutions are a bonus, although sometimes a few of the textures felt like they were designed for 720p.

• PleasingFungus says:

The inventory system in ME1 was an abomination on the XBox. My understanding is that they fixed it for PC, so… yeah. if you enjoy your sanity, get ME1 on PC.

• JuJuCam says:

The main difference is that while the X360 version had radial menus to activate skills and equip items, the PC version allows you to set hotkeys. It’s a noticable improvement in particular for biotic users, as combat is allowed to flow naturally in real time without sacrificing the utility of any skills.

29. Bassism says:

Since the original HIB thread is kinda huge and buried, I feel I may as well talk about it here.

One of the most interesting statics IMO is the fact that Mac and Linux combined make up 50% of the sales (and Mac and Linux each taking up half of that half). Let this be a message to devs who don’t feel there is a market in non-Microsoft platforms.

Also interesting is the fact that the average contribution from a Linux user is nearly double that of a Windows user.

• PleasingFungus says:

And significantly more than the Mac users’. I wonder what that says?

• John Peat says:

It says they didn’t have to spend £80 on an OS or over £1000 on a laptop…

It ALSO says they have fewer games to buy – the only reason Windows is lower is that we are targetted every – single – day with amazing bargains (Steam, D2D et al). :)

Curse you internet cheapness!!!!

(It’s a complex scam to sell HDDs isn’t it?) :)

• BarneyL says:

The reason I as a windows user didn’t buy this was that I already owned all but one of the games. I supect a lot of others are in the same boat or if they do buy are paying what they believe is a fair price for the subset of games they don’t already own.
      I also supsect that a number of Mac/Linux users may be going out of their way to disprove that theory that there isn’t enough of a market on those platforms for porting games to pay for themselves.

• Blather Blob says:

@Bassism: Something else to consider is that Linux versions (usually available only directly from the developer) don’t go on sale too often, so the Linux folks looking at the bundle are less likely to own any of the games, vs. Windows indie fans who probably already own a few and don’t want to pay quite as much for 2 or 3 new games instead of 5.

I just noticed the humble bundle now also includes Samorost 2 today. I don’t think that will be enough to hit their goal of $1,000,000 with only 48 hours remaining (they’re only 63% of the way there), though they’re heavily courting the Linux folks by promising to open source several of the games if they do reach that goal.

30. Hardtarget says:

Picked up the Civ IV bundle on steam, great deal.

FYI Lewie, Civ IV Colonization is not a expansion but actually a full retail game (remake of the old 1990s colonization) that uses the Civ IV engine, was a marketing gimmick.

So for 10 bones you get 2 retail titles and 2 expansions.

31. Psamtik says:

Thanks a lot for mentioning Amnesia. I have the Penumbra games on Steam (bought during their insane Holiday sale), but haven’t had the time to play them. I didn’t even know that there was another game in the works by the same developers. The low price, combined with that video on their website was more than enough for me to plop down a pre-order.

Being able to link it to my steam account however once it gets released is just a bonus.

Thanks again RPS!

32. boldoran says:

@Bassism
    The fact that Linux users are proportionaly paying more is probably related to the fact that Linux/Mac users are usually grown ups (as in people that earn money) while your typical no-money kid will be using a windows machine.

33. Corrupt_Tiki says:

-Sigh *looking at Lians comment(s)*
    It appears a dick has finally found this site

• TimA says:

He lost me when he said World of Goo was a “bad game”, which leads me to believe that he has no soul. I wouldn’t normally post anything like this, but World of Goo is SO FUCKING GOOD, worth paying for the soundtrack alone, in my opinion. Well… I’ll keep the rest of my sweary thoughts to myself.

34. John Peat says:

When Radiohead released In Rainbows they allowed for people to enter 0 as a price. I thought this was daft but I think part of what they wanted to see was if people were STUPID enough to distribute it through piracy networks anyway – when it was FREE FROM THE SOURCE.

They were, of course, because some people are so utterly devoid of values/empathy/common-sense that they cannot imagine someone giving something worth “something” away for nothing (otherwise they’d not have anything to talk about!!)

I love that if you enter 0 at HIB you get a “begging shot” to guilt you tho :)

• Oddtwang says:

Actually by distributing it over “piracy networks” they saved the original distributors bandwidth costs (assuming they would otherwise have paid nothing for the product); it’s arguable they were doing them a favour.

35. Nico says:

Ahhh and I bought the Civ IV pack on steam for £24.99 just over a week or so ago…..;_;

Such is life….

36. Delboy says:

You know … I’d buy a few more “bundle packs” on Steam if they allowed a proportial discount on the bundle if I’d already bought one of the games (on Steam). I mean … Steam know what I’ve already bought, right!?.

i.e. 4 game bundle = $20 … already have 1 of the games, so price for me = $15

I know most of the time it’s not that much extra to pay, but, well, it just feels wrong to pay for something I already have bought (usually at a high-er price!)

DelBoy

37. Donkeyfumbler says:

@delboy.

Totally agree, or failing that at least let us give away the duplicate copy we just bought as a gift to someone else.

38. Krimson says:

@Delboy

It’s kind of different, but that’s the reason I’m holding out on the Fallout GOTY edition. I got Fallout 3 on steam for the exact same price, and there’s no option to buy the DLC seperately. Thing is, I probably would get it if I could gift my original copy to someone else, rather than having both in my library.

I guess stuff like that is up to the publishers though

39. Warth0g says:

Hmm interested in Amnesia as atmospheric horrors are my thing. Anyone know if it’s likely to be a step up from Penumbra? Nice idea, but the shoddy graphics really broke the immersion for me.. I’m fascinated to know what these guys could do with a decent budget, better graphics engine and the complete works of H P Lovecraft…

40. Bassism says:

As if the Humble Bundle wasn’t already a must-buy, it now includes Samorost 2.
    Hop to!

41. Bassism says:

There’s also a bit of a teaser in the trailer that says if they make over a million in sales they’ll release the source to Gish, Lugaru, and Penumbra.

Not sure what to make of it, since it’s a screenshot from the site, and the words are clearly not there any more, and I haven’t seen anything from Wolfire confirming it, but it would be interesting. Unfortunately, I don’t think they’ll make it to a million at this point though.

• Grumpy Moose says:

Oh my god, that would be AWESOME!

*Buys the bundle a few more times*

42. RogB says:

okay I bought the CIV pack from steam. I now have 4 civ ‘games’ – which one do I install and run to get the full thing?

colonization im guessing is standalone so that one, and then which version of Civ4? the most recent expansion?

43. RogB says:

thanks Nick!

44. mcnubbins says:

Man, Direct2Drive (never used them before) seems pretty crap. I mean I am stuck in tiny shithole Denmark, but their site sets my currency to pounds rather than euro in Expolorer saying that CIV4 Complete is not available in my region (although it is clearly stated that Denmark is one of the countries it is sold in), and in Firefox I get a server error message from the site when trying to buy with paypal. So fuck ‘em despite being cheaper, bought it from Steam for twice as much, but at least they let me buy it.