Limousines And Live-Action Cutscenes: Roundabout Demo

I say ‘charming’ and ‘lovely’ far too much. Granted, I am a moon-eyed fool in constant awe of the world, but it means you, dear reader, might be sceptical when I call Roundabout charming. But it is. As our Adam explained in his review of the puzzler set in a constantly-revolving limousine, it’s a treat of goofy live-action cutscenes, funky funk, charm, and Kuru Kuru Kururin-ish puzzling. A demo has arrived on Steam so you can now see for yourself.

Roundabout sees Georgio Mano setting up as the world’s first revolving limousine driver, spinning constantly and dodging obstacles as they ferry passengers about. The demo offers the first eight story missions along with one score-o-challenge. And lots of ace cutscenes.

I… sorry, you’ll have to excuse me. I haven’t really written anything (or spoken much) over the past two weeks so it’s taking time to get the old word machine going. Quick! Quote Adam’s review a bit!

It’s a very silly game indeed but there’s a sweetness at its centre that would put even the finest fondant to shame. Through all the raised eyebrows, ill-fitting costumes and fluffed lines, Roundabout has a sincerity that makes me happy to recommend it to anyone, even if it did fool me into playing a puzzle game.

Right, yes. Those words that he said express the sort of thing I would say if I could find words okay.

1. tanith says:

I wish companies would release the demos before they released the games.
    Well, at least they released a demo at all.

Not that the game isn’t charming or lovely. It is these things very much and it’s one of the few games from the past years that I actually finished because the cutscenes were so great. Which is why I’m also sad that it’s over.

• Heliocentric says:

Demanding a demo before the game isn’t fair, the developer is desperate for that influx of funds, many companies rush out games because its that or close down or let people go. More games should schedule a demo into their budget but there’s no reason it cant be post release, then its better tested being based off the gold/post release code, many demo’s have bugs the real games don’t. I remember Battlefield 2 having a hugely different experience pre demo before they rebalanced aircraft, many people prefered the demo’s air superiority interestingly.

• tanith says:

I figured that releasing a demo before the final game is out is actually better for the publicity of the game.
        Except, of course, if your reason for not releasing a demo is because the game is rubbish and you hope people blindly buy the game without knowing whether it’s any good.

Another problem is the delay. This game was released in September 2014. That was almost four months ago and they release a demo NOW? Really?
        I guess this was done for the long run, for the people who will think about buying this game later along the line but I never understood the reasoning behind releasing a demo after the game has been out for months.

• SooSiaal says:

I miss the good old days where game magazines would come with cd’s filled with demo’s of current and upcoming games

phuzz says:

I miss the days when magazines used to come with a 3.5″ floppy disk on the cover, filled with demos.
            (I just missed out on the days of cassette tapes on magazines).
            Oh, and then one day, all the magazines started to have two whole disks! What a time to be alive.

• simbo says:

Pah! I remember when they came with cassette tapes (or even on floppy records). In fact I remember one, called “16/48” where the whole magazine came on tape. It didn’t sell well, apparently because people didn’t like reading articles on their computers……

• RARARA says:

I miss the days when magazines used to come out.