Wolfenstein 2 now just £20/$25, and you can try it free

Wolfenstein II

Rejoice FPS fans, for Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus is now down to just £20 / $25 to celebrate the day of sales, deals and discounts that is Black Friday. Whether your preferred digital merchant is Amazon US, SteamGreen Man GamingGames Planet or Fanatical (other digital game retailers are available), now is definitely the time to buy if you haven’t got the game already.

Also mourn, FPS fans, since such sweeping discounts so close after release most likely means none of these games have been selling well.

Adam said in his Wolfenstein 2 review that it was “a hair’s breadth away from being one of [his] favourite singleplayer action games of all time,” but if such praise and its shiny new price still aren’t quite enough to convince you, then maybe Bethesda’s free trial will.

For also starting from right now, you can download a free demo of Wolfenstein 2 that lets you play through the entire first level of the game, just to give you a flavour of what it’s like splitting open Nazi skulls while trying to navigate a U-boat in a wheelchair. Should you then wish to buy the full game after your rollicking time obliterating said Nazi skulls, your save data will then carry over, allowing you to pick up where you left off without having to put in a repeat performance of the first level. The demo is available via Steam, with a ‘Download demo’ link appearing in the store page’s sidebar if you don’t already own the game.

Wolfenstein 2 isn’t the only Bethesda game that’s being discounted this Black Friday, as The Evil Within II and Prey are also going cheap at £20 / $30 and £15 / $20 respectively. This seems to be a recurring theme with Bethesda, as last year’s Dishonored 2 also ended up being discounted to similar kinds of prices just weeks after it came out. At the time the discount was attributed to Dishonored 2 failing to meet sales expectations, and the same has been reported of this year’s Bethesda games too. That puts the future of all these games in doubt, which is a real shame given that they all seem so excellent.

If Wolfenstein 2 isn’t quite your bag, then make sure you head over to our Black Friday hub where even more game discounts are being gathered from across the internet, as well as our Steam autumn sale hub.

1. mike22 says:

But how much is it in Euros, or more importantly, Mexican Pesos?

(There’s no shame in just posting the GBP price, this is a British website, it doesn’t need to be a point of quiet shame)

james.hancox says:

But quiet shame is the British way!

• Dodgy says:

But then why add the $ price?
      I’ve mentioned this in the Black Friday post as well. There seem to be no discounts in the EU.

Personally I think it’s pretty impolite and arrogant.

• welverin says:

It’s odd, since they’ve traditionally listed prices in Euros along with the other two.

• J Arcane says:

Yeah. It would also save me a lot of wasted clicks on stuff , since so often “new low price” still means “fucking expensive in Euros.”

• Stone_Crow says:

Sorry I have nothing to say, it’s just there was this long queue of replies so being British I thought I’d join it. As you were.

• NihlusGreen says:

With Steam now paying taxes back to more countries I’d recommend having a peep at link to isthereanydeal.com or, if using Chrome to view Steam, you can use the enhanced steam extension which embeds info from the same source.

• Heimdall2061 says:

As an American reader, I appreciate it, if it’s not too much trouble. Seems reasonable to put Euros in too, if people want.

I could always just use a converter, of course.

• hausser0815 says:

Exactly, list the price in pound as long as it is still worth something, you guys on your rock might have to use the euro rather sooner than later anyway :P

2. Bull0 says:

Prey is wicked, I loved it, never finished it but can tell I’m close. Been meaning to go back and get that closure. Can’t recommend highly enough and don’t understand why it didn’t do better, to me it’s an instant classic.

• Unclepauly says:

To me it looks like an enjoyable game but I don’t feel the pull of a strong gameplay mechanic or story hook. SS2 had SHODAN/mental primates/zombies along with the freeform gameplay but Prey just has shadowblobs and … more blobs. The level design and gameplay seem good enough though.

Grizzly says:

Prey has some good story hooks, although they are hard to explain in single soundbytes, but it becomes obvious during the intro. IIRC, it has a demo now, so you can check that out :)

I’d recommend it, it really is System Shock for the modern era.

3. Michael Anson says:

How much do you want to bet that the presence of a demo does nothing to slow down the piracy of the game?

Mungrul says:

Very tempting, both this and Prey (which is also discounted by 50%).

But while I appreciate the individual developers, I still can’t bring myself to buy anything from Bethesda / Zenimax. Far too litigious for my liking, and they way they have historically gone about acquiring IP (Prey in particular) has left a very nasty taste in my mouth.

5. Kefren says:

I’d have bought Prey and Dishonored 2 on release at full price if they hadn’t put Denuvo in. Once they remove it, I’ll buy them. I will get Evil Inside 2 and Wolfenstein 2 though. The first games were flawed but still fun overall, and worth supporting for a second outing.

• Person of Interest says:

I’m also waiting, cash in hand, for them to strip Denuvo from Prey. They did it for Doom ’16 so I’m not sure what the holdup is.

6. Faldrath says:

Wolf2 was my second favorite game this year, losing only to Nier: Automata. What they have in common is batshit crazy stories that also manage to be moving and relevant.

7. Sian says:

I’d love to buy Wolfenstein 2, Dishonored 2 and Prey, but I have so many games in my backlog that I simply can’t justify buying anything new right now.

8. Carra says:

I really enjoyed playing Wolfie 2, it’s a great shooter.

I picked it up for €27 on a cd key website so the €30 they’re asking now is about the same. I’d hate to have bought it at €60 though, that would just feel like a rip off.

Aerothorn says:

That’s…kind of shocking. This game *just came out* for $60. I can’t recall ever seeing a price slash that fast and I’d feel kind of annoyed had I payed $60 for it.

Aerothorn says:

Katherine, every link you gave has the game at $30, not $25.

11. Eawyne says:

A bit sad it’s on Steam only, but one day, I’ll play it. Wolfenstein New Order really was such a huge blast when I played it, one of the best game in years.

12. KillahMate says:

As far as I can tell, with the exception of Titanfall 2 all the best singleplayer first-person AAA games of the last year and a half were published by Bethesda. Most of them (including Titanfall 2 in fact) were huge financial failures.

Such bullshit. No wonder everyone thinks single player FPS is dying.

13. Chorltonwheelie says:

£19.99 on Steam? That’s cheaper than CDkeys (last time I looked).
    Loved New Order and Old Blood. Sold!

Just have to finish Nier Automata and the Lawrence of Arabia section of Battlefield1 and then I’m a gonna kill me some God damned Nazis. Yesssss.

14. mukuste says:

Tried the demo and had a miserable time. Sound didn’t work (?!?), so was forced to sit through what felt like half an hour of dull cutscenes to actually get to do anything, then when I do, it’s some exceedingly tedious wheelchair segment.

Not impressed.