Content Cannon: Enter The Gungeon Supply Drop Update

New weapons, items, enemies, bosses, and rooms are coming to Enter the Gungeon [official site] in a big ole update. Developers Dodge Roll Games today announced the ‘Supply Drop Update’, due to hit the roguelikelike shooter this autumn. Our John really liked Gungeon so good! This is good. Another free update is due to follow Supply Drop too, before a “full-blown” expansion arrives “early next year”. Pew pew.

Here’s the announcement’s blurb on quite what the Supply Drop Update will bring:

“The Enter the Gungeon’s Supply Drop Update will add over a hundred new rooms to the Gungeon that include new weapons, enemies, companions, bosses, and shrines for even the most seasoned Gungeoneer. Players will come across new guns like the Bullet Gun, a gun shaped like a bullet that shoots guns and those guns shoot bullets, and new companions like Ser Junkan who gains strength and power as you carry more and more literal junk with you through the Gungeon. Elite gunslingers will also be able to tackle unique pasts for both Robot and Bullet and an all-new boss – the Mine Flayer!”

I do wonder what Dodge Roll’s vision is for all this newness. Sure, they could just add a load more Stuff but it’d be nice if it tried to reshape the game a little. For a game which boasts of having so many weird and wonderful guns, Gungeon sure has a lot of… just guns. Guns which shoot things until they fall over. Y’know, guns. They might have fancy particle effects but they’re mostly just guns. It never seemed to have as much fun variety as, say, The Binding of Isaac could get with all its passive tear effects. A load of weird new passive items and interactions would be pretty cool for Gungeon.

From this site

1. Servicemaster says:

If these updates mess up my 100% status, which they surely will, Ima be pissed.

2. Riaktion says:

Fingers crossed it includes the promised save & exit feature, but nothing I can see in the announcement says that it does sadly. Still FREE update, and such a big one is great news and excellent support. Just need that save & exit feature to be added before I can play the game again properly.

3. Arathain says:

I kind of like that there are a bunch of guns that are just guns. They have enough distinctiveness that you play with each of them a little differently, and they make the odder guns feel more odd. Anyway, if I’m doing well in a run (which for my ineptitude means floor 3, since I’ve never beaten a floor 3 boss) I’ll nearly always have something unusual. Man, the bee hive is vicious.

4. kikito says:

I really hope they optimize away the random micro-stutters it has.

• Riaktion says:

If you’ve been having this issue for a long time I imagine you have already come across this, however the following guide from the devs might help. It details instructions on how to remove the intentional stutter / screen freezes in game. Might be worth giving it a try:

link to steamcommunity.com

5. icarussc says:

Ms. O’Connor has stated that guns are not the most ideal addition to Enter the Gungeon. I would direct the attention of the court to Exhibit A: a gun. A gun which shoots rainbows. Another gun which is made of mermaids. A third gun called the helix cannon which OH MY GOODNESS THESE GUNS ARE SO GREAT.