Just Cause 3 New DLC Dated, Adds Mechs & Gravity Gun

Never one for the conservative approach, Just Cause 3 [official site] is getting another batch of ostentatious DLC that’ll see protagonist Rico Rodriguez pilot powerful mechs and get to grips with an antigravity gun.

Mech Land Assault follows the Sky Fortress DLC expansion and marks the game’s second offering of additional content. Publisher Square Enix have now announced it’ll launch on June 3 (this Friday) for Season Pass holders, and June 10 for everyone else. Its big features include:

– Pilot two types of powerful Mech and drive them anywhere in Medici.
– Unleash the Mech’s Gravitational Remote Influence Projector or “GRIP” to attract and hurl objects at your enemies.
– Jump and smash helicopters from the sky or ground pound tanks with the GRIPS’s “Force Pulse” attack.
– Prove your skills and earn upgrades in Mech arena challenges.
– Call in a Rebel Mech buddy for extra firepower when the going gets tough.
– Includes a powerful new energy weapon, the Bavarium Power Core rifle.

Storywise, Rico’s off to new location Lacrima Island this time round, where he’s tasked with infiltrating a Black Hand-run abandoned research facility-turned-detention centre. Piece of cake, right? Well, yes and no. Our Rico’s up to the task, of course, but the prison is defended by huge roaming Mechs thus disabling and hijacking these deadly automatons by virtue of the aforementioned Bavarium Power Core is the only thing for it. Obviously.

“The new Mechs allow Rico to throw enemies, vehicles and chaos objects around like tennis balls – increasing the scope for physics-based fun,” says senior producer Tobias Andersson on what to expect. “Whether you’re juggling a small car or punching helicopters out of the sky, the Mechs give you the opportunity to mess with your surroundings in creative, explosive ways.”

With its Iron Man-esque Bavarium Wingsuit, Sky Fortress really mixed up regular play in Just Cause 3, as it offered players the chance to tackle their environments from a different perspective – both figuratively and literally. The introduction of pilotable Mechs and the antigravity gun looks to add another layer of depth and off-the-wall mechanics to the game’s sprawling sandbox. I’m excited.

When it arrives, Mech Land Assault will cost £9.49/$11.99/€11.99. If you’re interested in the Air, Land & Sea Season Pass, it’ll net you this, the Sky Fortress DLC, and an upcoming third expansion, for £19.99/$24.99/€24.99.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

phuzz says:

I never picked up the first bit of DLC, but maybe £20 isn’t too much to spend for mechs and a jetpack…

2. Bostec says:

This game is fun but its still a technical mess with the barest minimal support. Online bullshit that no one wanted or needed. Who cares if BIGBEEFYBANANA flew 2 more seconds then me. NO ONE CARES. The constant loading screens which drag on and on, especially when trying to do the mini games. The poor car handling which feels like your driving on ice all the time. Oh and throw in the occasional frame rate dip and..why am I even playing this? Oh yes, it is mindless fun now and again but I will certainly be passing on all the DLC thats for sure.

• ran93r says:

I quite like the online score aspect of those challenges, it’s a ballache to have to watch them all pop up when you haven’t been online in a while but I still like the feature.

With you on everything else though.

• Churba says:

“This game is fun but its still a technical mess with the barest minimal support.”

True that. I’ve got a PC that meets or exceeds the recommended requirements on every aspect, and the game still runs like absolute dogshit, even at the lowest settings, with all the online gubbins turned off. I’m no “60 fps or nothing” kind of guy, but it’s an unplayable kind of awful.

3. Napalm Sushi says:

Ultra-compact explosive! Infinite energy source! Projectile weapon! Projectile deflector! Flight engine! Gravity manipulator!

Are the writers ever actually going to define Bavarium’s properties and limitations, or will this keep going until “Rico! Di Ravello is trying to turn Pluto into a new Sun with a Bavarium starship!”?

• Baines says:

Just Cause has become Goat Simulator. It is a physics and destruction sandbox first and foremost, with elements like “game” and “story” a far distant second.

• Mokinokaro says:

Just Cause was never that story heavy in the first place though.

The only one with a story focus was the first and it’s coincidentally the worst of the set.

• jonahcutter says:

The series’ trajectory plots the latter.

• Darloth says:

While I completely agree with you despite not minding at all, I do want to point out that that subset of powers is by no means mutually exclusive.

If it has gravity controlling powers, that’s probably why it’s good at flying, and maybe it taps the planet’s own gravitic field for power generation. Gravitic lenses produce energy weapons, and concentrated gravity pulses repel or project projectiles.

And it’s also explosive, but hey, lots of fun things are explosive :)

AutonomyLost says:

Fuck this game. It STILL runs atrociously. I regret it being part of my Steam Library and frankly wish I could gift it to someone so I don’t see it in there anymore.

Also, I’m extra touchy regarding this because I played the game for all of 108 minutes, requested a refund, and was denied. I had it installed three separate times in hopes of a patch fixing things or maybe my new graphics cards/processor/etc. could improve results. Nope. This game was a severe letdown.

• rstyknfe says:

Just curious, what are your specs?

I built my PC 4 years ago and it runs great, but not a consistent 60.

Intel 4770K 3.5GHz
      16GB DDR3
      NVIDIA 470

5. Muzman says:

Saints Cause 3 then? (Just Row 3 was taken by that little known Henley Regatta series on the Spectrum.

6. frightlever says:

Mad Max became a fan favourite game despite many reviewers dismissing it. It’s outsold JC3, on PC anyway, but there are no plans for MM DLC. There is NO GOD.

Honestly, if they’d just give us unlimited convoys, I’d be relatively content.

• Jaykera says:

I even liked the on foot combat everyone else saw as the weakest part of the game. :>

Serrit says:

powerful new energy weapon, the Bavarium Power Core rifle.

I prefer me a Black Forest Gateauxling gun.

8. racccoon says:

I don’t think they have done enough as the next DLC should be that when you find the eX gun that it slowly destroys the files on the PC, starts uninstalling and then eats away at your screen which eventually blows it up! which then causes your Power in your house to become isolated for a whole month with many faults and then you freeze in the cold or swelter in the heat. I don’t think they can do any better than that! as there really isn’t anything else left to do in this game at all.

9. Bobtree says:

JC3 has the jankiest performance of anything I’ve played in ages.

10. carewolf says:

It is already dated? That was quick, I didn’t knew it was out yet.