Oculus Rift price drops to $349 / $349 for Black Friday

Oculus Rift

If you saw our heads-up about the HTC Vive Black Friday deal earlier this week (to recap, you get a Vive, Fallout 4 VR, Doom VFR and a free deluxe audio strap and more for £599 starting from tomorrow), then you’ll be pleased to know that the Oculus Rift is also being discounted for Black Friday – starting TODAY, in fact. It’s almost as if they knew…

The US kicked things off this morning, dropping its Oculus Rift + Touch bundle to just $349 – that’s $50 off the regular, albeit rather newish price of $399 / £399 – and as of 8pm this evening, those in the UK can get in on the deal action, too, as Amazon currently has it for £349 as well, throwing in free copies of Robo Recall, Lucky’s Tale, Quill, Medium, Dead and Buried and Toybox with every purchase.

The Rift originally launched at £599 / $599 last year, but has since gone through a number of price cuts in an attempt to drum up support  against the arguably superior Vive. The latest was over the summer, when the same Rift+ Touch bundle temporarily dropped to $399 / £399 during its Summer of Rift sale. As it turned out, making the Rift just $50/£50 more than a PSVR turned out to be a pretty good idea, so Oculus eventually decided to keep it at that price instead of putting it back up.

This time, though, its Black Friday deals really are a one-time only thing, as prices will go back up at the stroke of midnight on November 27th, i.e: Cyber Monday.

If you already own a Rift, however, there’s still good news to be had, as Oculus is also offering three ‘Complete Your Collection Pack’ game deals. Each pack includes seven supposedly ‘essential’ Rift games for $99 / £79, saving you quite a considerable amount of cash if your collection’s looking a bit thin. Pack 1 alone, for instance, has savings of around £60, and is arguably the best of the lot.

Those packs are as follows:

• Pack 1: Lone Echo, Superhot VR, The Mage’s Tale, Eagle Flight, Space Pirate Trainer, I Expect You to Die, BlazeRush
  • Pack 2: Arizona Sunshine, Star Trek: Bridge Crew, Gun Club VR, Chronos, Project CARS, Wilson’s Heart, Ultrawings
  • Pack 3: Killing Floor: Incursion, The Climb, Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality, Raw Data, EVE: Valkyrie, Dirt Rally, The Invisible Hours

You needn’t fear if you already own some of those games, either, as each pack is dynamically priced, so the overall price of the bundle will be reduced accordingly. These pack deals are live until December 1st, so make sure you grab one while you can.

1. MrEvilGuy says:

NICCCEEEEE $449 (CDN) on the Canadian website too!!!!!!!

I will impulse buy one.

2. TheSplund says:

Re UK: i’m sure it won’t be long…

3. Kefren says:

I think two of the games in the first pack use Denuvo, but the other packs look okay.

4. Herring says:

I put this in the other thread about the Vive deal;

It’s a good deal. I have both a Vive and a Rift;

Rift is lighter (later Vives may be closer in weight but I have an original one), more comfortable (if you don’t have medium-large glasses), cheaper and has a larger range of games (with the exclusive store).

Vive supports larger room-scale (more than ~2m distance), is easier to set up, is a less demanding config (the Rift needs 3 cameras all to have connectivity to your PC, the Vive just needs local power for 2 lighthouses) and is a more flexible solution.

There some slight differences in performance (text is a little better on Rift, Vive has a bit larger FoV) but they’re basically a wash.

The Vive is pretty modular so in the future you’ll be able to re-use/ replace parts as you go. There are a spate of new headsets on the way that either use Valve’s light-house tech (Pimax etc) or integrate with SteamVR (MS’s Mixed Reality headsets)

I’m happy with both.

• Vandelay says:

I’m guessing, but I would expect the reason behind the Vive being increasingly unable to compete with price is because of the Oculus store. Although we regular refer to the Vive as the Valve one, HTC are the ones manufacturing the device and handling selling it. I assume that they are not taking any cut from the software side of things.

As Oculus has their own store, they are probably operating like a console manufacturer by selling the hardware at a slight loss and then making the money back from game sales. They are also quite heavy on the exclusives, which they are no doubt getting a cut from whether it is sold in their store or not.

Obviously, there is Viveport for HTC, but that is so minimal and clearly not had much effort put into it that they must know they won’t be able to compete with Steam for sales.

I love my Vive and for me personally I wouldn’t want to change it for the Oculus (the lighthouse solution just suits my room, whereas the cameras connected to the computer would be pretty much impossible without a deathtrap of wires everywhere). For most people though, with the Rift being almost half the price now, it is tough to argue for the most expensive one. As you say, they are pretty similar (or so I hear, as I’ve not used a Rift).

HTC really should be cutting their price or get out a new version that is superior in some way.

• Sakkura says:

Oculus is not making the money back via their store.

They are deliberately operating at a loss. They’ve invested half a billion dollars in funding content, not to directly make a profit back but to get VR off the ground. They want to make big profits 5+ years from now, they don’t care about any tiny profit you might claw out of the small VR market today.

• Herring says:

They may not care about the profit, but they very much care about the eco-system. They want people locked in to the Rift store as much as possible. As shown by their pretty laissez-faire attitude to ReVive, they’re less interested in locking you into a Rift.

• Herring says:

I too think the Vive is the better solution; just not 200 quid better :)

Not sure what HTC can do actually really. They’re not a company rolling in cash so they can’t sell hardware at a low margin, and as they don’t have a store they can’t recoup the money that way.

Valve don’t really care either way; they’re giving the hardware tech away left and right. As long as everyone supports SteamVR they’re happy as Larry.

I _think_ the way out will be site / enterprise support. Because of superiority of the Vive for large room-scale and the fact it’s very easy to have multiple head-sets in the same area apparently they’re doing really well for large-scale experiences and corporate stuff.

5. aircool says:

I just don’t have the room. My computer room doubles as a DAW Studio, study and has a painting area for wargaming mini’s. Stumbling around the room waving my hands about is likely to knock something important over and have the dog scooting out of his basket at light speed.

• Kefren says:

It is possible to play stood on the spot, or even sat down. All the games on Rift and Vive scale in that way. :-)

• ANeM says:

That is not accurate. A lot of games support a variety of playspaces, but not all of them.

I was very disappointed with Justin Roilands “Accounting” because there was no artificial locomotion. My first task, to answer a phone, could not be completed. The phone was literally outside of my house.

• Kefren says:

Apologies, you are right. Though isn’t there a reset position option that provides a workaround? I remember in one game the drum pad was outside the Guardian Wall. So I just stepped back, chose reset position in the Rift Button Settings, and the game was fine after that. But yes, it is possible to make games that are clunky in a standing position – I think they are a rarity but you are correct that they exist.

• aircool says:

That’s kinda funny.

I guess I’d like on for American Truck Driver so I can look over my shoulder outside the window when pulling onto the ‘freeway/highway/interstate’ or whatever they call a motorway.

• Chaz says:

I have about a 7×7 foot space to play in, and even trying my best to stay in the middle, I still end up swiping all the nick nacks off my bookshelf and end up punching it. Also walking into my ficus in the corner of the room; which is quite unnerving when fighting off horrible monstrosities in VR. I’ve been using VR for over a year now, and it’s still so easy to lose all sense of position and direction in the real world when using VR.

So yeah, I would say if you have lots of valuable things that you don’t want smashed and scattered all over the place, then not using VR in their vicinity is entirely sensible. It’s a bit like trying to practice Wing Chun in a china shop blindfolded.

• Imaginary Llamas says:

I barely even have standing room for my VR setup, but the vast majority of the time I only use it for flight sims anyway so it’s not that big of a deal.

6. napoleonic says:

I really feel that the way forward for VR, for the next five or ten years, is arcades.

7. Vastial says:

If you’re in the UK you can walk into any local CEX and pick a headset up for a bargain. Its a VR graveyard and some stores are even turning them away as they don’t even shift second hand.

• PeilAyr says:

CEX still listing it as selling at £350 I’m afraid, so you might as well pick up a new one with full warranty.
      Can’t justify it myself at the moment.

syllopsium says:

I was holding out, but 350 quid is within my temptation level. System isn’t perfect but should manage it.

My computer room is currently tiny, so it will be seated experiences only.

Comment on this story