The Force Of VR: Star Wars: Trials On Tattoine

Imagine what GDC looks like this year: hundreds of grown-ups living out their childhood VR dreams, feeling all cool and special on the inside, and looking extremely silly on the outside. And what better way to fulfill those dreams and forget how silly this all is, than with a Star Wars game?

Star Wars: Trials on Tatooine is a small VR experience that should hopefully lead to an actual game in the future. For now it’s little more than a proof of concept; but what a concept it is, to wield a lightsaber and reflect lasers and not care about what it actually looks like in Real Reality.

There’s a short trailer, but despite using high-sounding words like “Cinematic Virtual Reality Experiment” it doesn’t look any different from a regular trailer. So I thought you might rather enjoy this video from the folks at Polygon playing it on an HTC Vive.

If I may, I suggest you watch this a bit like a tennis game, moving your eyes periodically from the silly human on the left to the game on the right. “I’d be ashamed to have someone walk in and find me like this – but look, it’s so awesome, it’s what I always wanted, it’s what games always tried to sell me, except it’s real now – and what happens if I need to raise my sword all of a sudden and end up breaking something or slapping someone – being a Jedi and saving the world can’t wait just because of the furniture!”. By the end you should have appropriately mixed feelings about this whole VR thing.

Sponsored links by Taboola

More from the web

From this site

1. Kefren says:

Cement Foot Invisible Jedi Simulator 2016
    Join us and wait 4 minutes for anything interactive to happen.
    I’ll wait for the next year’s edition when they add legs and walking.

2. lagiacrux says:

this seems like a HORRIBLE game for vr. blocking lasershots with a lightsaber? maybe if the come one-by-one it might be possible for a human, but then its not like the movies, where they deflect them on an inhuman level. youre net getting a jedi experience at all.

• Didero says:

The only way you could somewhat accurately simulate feeling like a Jedi would probably be some sort of bullet time, since Jedi have supernatural reflexes, so slowing down the world would have the same effect.
      You’d still need a good way for walking around though, because standing still feels a bit dumb.

• SingularityParadigm says:

That is because it is not a game nor is it going to to become a game according to the people who actually made it. Industrial Light and Magic’s xLab designed and built this experience as an experiment on how to tell stories in VR. They are not focused on the loop of game mechanics. Here is an interview with one of the people who built this: link to

3. Danorz says:

“I know, deep down inside, that I want to be silly like them. But until I get to try it, I have all the rights to keep making fun of them, with those ugly headcrabs hugging their faces, right?”

woops, rolled my eyes so hard i sprained something

• Darth Gangrel says:

Such a horrific burn that you better put some eyes on that.

4. Kefren says:

Someone really will release a rubber cover for your VR gear that resembles a facehugger.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I wonder if one of those plush headcrab hats would fit.

5. Plank says:

Hey another VR game that plants the player to the spot. It’s basically Star Wars Baseball right?

6. Det. Bullock says:

I’m starting to think that the guys who make/market Star Wars games lately have lost some neurons, why didn’t they use a pseudo flight-sim in an X-wing?
    That’s about the only thing I think VR is good for.

• Didero says:

VR podracing! :P

• Congo says:

Yes, this! Make use of the worse movies still, pod racing would be fantastic in VR!

• Det. Bullock says:

Movie aside the old podracing game was very good, I’m not into racing games but the demo at the time was quite impressive, in general I think that VR might be the next step for simulation and driving games after head tracking as you are supposed to be sitting and relatively still when you are driving a vehicle.

gritz says:

I know it’s on Youtube, but isn’t it a little weak to be reposting Polygon’s content without mentioning them anywhere in the article?

• Melody says:

“So I thought you might rather enjoy this video from the folks at Polygon playing it on an HTC Vive.”

Just above the video =)

8. iainl says:

I’m trying to imagine just how tired of going from one VR experience to another for a whole week people must be. Because that guy is not reacting how I’d expect someone who’s just been placed on Tatooine then had R2-D2 in the Falcon arrive to hand him a Lightsabre.

• Big Murray says:

To be fair you can’t see what’s happening inside his trousers.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Yeah but unless they didn’t mic his trousers we’d at least be able to hear what’s going on.

9. SingularityParadigm says:

Games are not the focus of Industrial Light and Magic’s xLab. Do not expect this to lead into a game. Here, watch Norm from interview a Technology Lead at ILMxLab who actually worked on this project: link to

10. Doganpc says:

Wonder how long before someone has a brain aneyurism after pointing a lightsaber/gun at their face and pulling the trigger.

Ninja Dodo says:

I really want ILM to make a virtual, properly interactive, Jurassic Park… but I’m somewhat concerned that none of these filmmakers understand interaction at all and they don’t view games as something they could learn from. There are exceptions, clearly, but when film people talk about “interactive storytelling” or looking at a scene from different angles as if it’s a new thing, it’s hard not to roll your eyes.

This looks neat though, so maybe it’s an indication they are looking at games differently now.

12. Orageon says:

That reminds me of this old video I saw online, where a guy tinkered using a DK2 Occulus + some thrid party controllers and cameras around a room. (so basically ends up similar to the Vive thing), and played a starwars jedi training thing where he had to fight a drone with his light sabers, block/reflect the pew-pews, and even evade guided rockets while slicing them in half. Pretty neat.

13. bp_968 says:

This might be a incomplete concept but the general idea of running around with a lightsaber actually is a great idea for VR. Better then swords I think mainly because your mind expects some sort of resistance with a sword. A truely realistic feeling sword and shield game is still a holy grail type of concept for VR and motion controllers IMO.

Can you imagine how amazing it would be to have a truely realistic feeling melee combat game? Minus the agony of severed limbs and pierced organs of course..