The PC games of 2017 mega-preview

1 of 12

As Old Father Time grabs his sickle and prepares to take ailing 2016 around the back of the barn for a big sleep, we’re looking to the future. The mewling pup that goes by the name 2017 will come into the world soon and we must prepare ourselves for its arrival. Here at RPS, our preparations come in the form of this enormous preview feature, which contains details on more than a hundred of the exciting games that are coming our way over the next twelve months. 2016 was a good one – in the world of games at least – but, ever the optimists, we’re hoping next year will be even better.

The games are grouped into categories by genre, but genres aren’t quite as neat and tidy as they were in the days when games were all shooters and divided into the sub-genres “War” or “Aliens” easily enough. Our categories are broad so if you click the links below to peruse each of them, you should find what you’re looking for easily enough, and of course you can read about all of the games by clicking the arrows next to the image above, or using your cursor keys.

HAPPY NEW YEAR, READERS

Action
Adventure
Fighting
Horror
Platformer
Puzzle
RPG
Shooter
Simulation/Space
Strategy
Survival

The list isn’t comprehensive. Given how quickly things move in this future age, a hundred games have probably been released since you started reading this post. If we’ve missed something you’re particularly excited about, do let everyone else know in the comments below. We’ve almost certainly missed something we’ll end up being excited about, and who knows – maybe this’ll be like last year, when our eventual game of the year wasn’t even on our radar when we compiled our preview. That’s a splendid thought, isn’t it?

Lexx87 says:

Happy New Year RPS!

Love and wishes and hugs and tequlia shoots for all!

2. pringles says:

Sundered(?) appears to be missing its title.

Johnny Law says:

If games hitting Early Access in 2017 are fodder for this list, then Deadhold should be in there too. Anything that pulls that much from Myth immediately has my interest.

link to deadhold.com

Andy_Panthro says:

I’m still very hopeful that Mount & Blade 2: Bannerlord will be released in 2017 (perhaps as early access?). After all, they do have a Steam store page now.

• Gebert says:

I’m pretty sure the Steam page is not official.

• Papageno says:

I should hope so. It’s only been in development since shortly after the Earth’s crust cooled.

5. anevilyak says:

Just an FYI, Night in the Woods has seen a slight delay, and will consequently most likely be sometime in February instead.

• shoptroll says:

I think they’re just waiting on Sony to get them a release slot before they can finalize the date. From the last couple of updates it sounded vaguely like they probably got snagged on some certification issues with Sony at the last minute.

• anevilyak says:

Indeed (I’m a backer), was simply pointing out that the Jan 10 date listed in the article is no longer accurate.

6. Jimbo Jones says:

Just a heads up, the link to Outcast’s official site takes you here link to bigben-interactive.co.uk.

• April March says:

Also, the link to the free Ludum Dare version of Octogeddon leads to an RPS page that talks about the Ludum Dare it was made for, but not about it specifically.

7. shoptroll says:

One of the games in the action category is missing a title, and the links on Them’s Fighting Herds are broken/wrong.

Also, no mention of Wadjet Eye’s new game “Unavowed” in the Adventure game category? :(

8. Chillicothe says:

That RPG page alone is making my wallet sweat.

• Ghostwise says:

Ditto. Almost half the listed games look interesting, which is amazingly high.

(Though of course out of this half, a robust percentage will be drek that’ll go unbought, because creating games is hard.)

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m thrilled that there are so many interesting games coming, but I’m also split, seeing as I consider games from 2012 to be new, because backlog.

• Ghostwise says:

I’m currently upgrading my articles about the 1997 Fallout setting and story, so I ain’t gonna cast nobody a stone about backlog.

syllopsium says:

I was about to say even 2012 is optimistic, and that I’m still catching up to 2006 and previous, but I’ve finished Driftmoon (2013) and played some of Legend of Grimrock, so it’s not that bad.

Still haven’t played *any* of the Witchers, the Gothics despite owning several of them, or any Fallout after 2..

Going to try and finish KOTOR 2 this year, 1 was brilliant.

9. Frank says:

My fav genre, strategy, looks pretty thin, but I see a lot to look forward to elsewhere (Little Nightmares, Vampyr, Oxygen not Included, and, to my surprise, most of the adventure category). I guess I’m also sort of looking forward to whatever Civ 6 expansion gets released.

• Zenicetus says:

For some reason Endless Space 2 was left off the Strategy list. I don’t think there’s an official release date, but it’s reasonable to expect a release in 2017. The Early Access is a bit rough but it’s moving forward.

10. Infinitron says:

Wrote this a while ago, huh? There was a Bard’s Tale IV Kickstarter update just recently.

• Themadcow says:

I’d be somewhat surprised if BT4 makes an appearance in 2017, and positively fall off my stool if my backer awards arrive any time before mid 2018…

Still, the promise of a combat demo/video in late Jan might mean progress is better than it seems by the terribly infrequent updates.

11. BobbyDylan says:

Star Citizen was on 2016 preview.
    And It’ll be on 2018’s.
    And 2019…..

• Stellar Duck says:

Yea, strikes me as optimistic to the point of admiration.

• milligna says:

I wonder where the heck they got the idea that three episodes of Squadron 42 will come out in 2017? Roberts would be lucky if he managed one — or even just the prelude demo.

Aerothorn says:

Hey RPS – the release date for Night in the Woods was pushed back before this went to press (it was only announced on the kickstarter updates weirdly). Game is done but it sounds like they have been caught in the nets of Sony’s bureaucracy and are waiting to be told when they can have their multi-platform release.

13. Stellar Duck says:

I hereby declare that the person who wrote the bit on Bulletstorm has no humour and is basically a Dickens bad guy! Shame, mr or miss Murdstone!

Bulletstorm was lovely and silly and I want a sequel.

Also happy new year all!

14. zergrush says:

Wow, I didn’t know about Absolver but those are some nice looking Seguleh they’ve got there. Sign me up.

subdog says:

The page select chevron buttons at the top of the page go away after the first page (Action), really wrecking the readability of this list.

subdog says:

It actually shows up on all the pages after Shooters, so it’s not completely broken?

• Scandalon says:

But how do you get to them?

(I’m on a small touchscreen device at the moment)

• Sarfrin says:

Go back to the main post and select the category after action from the list. I have the same problem.

Wait, it’s not missing, it’s just getting moved on top of the first picture so it’s hard to spot.

• Raoul Duke says:

The mobile version of RPS is a crime against humanity. Navigation totally borked and more ads than content. And such offensive ads, too.

16. dangermouse76 says:

Have a great night people’s.
    Or have had one.

17. DragonDai says:

Star Citizen in 2017…lololololol

Ah…that was a good chuckle.

18. SaintAn says:

There’s a mistake. You have Mass Effect Andromeda in the RPG section when it should be in the shooter section. Only the first game was an RPG.

• MasterPrudent says:

I never understood this point of view and have always considered all three games to be shooter-RPG hybrids. Does your shooting have to be unpleasant and clunky for your game to also be an RPG? Do you have to have lots of buttons to choose from when leveling up even though those choices have less of an impact than the fewer choices of the later games? Do you have to have a million guns (in your terrible inventory that doesn’t put stuff in alphabetical order) even though they are all nearly indistinguishable in look and feel? Oh wait it’s the exposed numbers, isn’t it? It’s all about fondling lovely exposed numbers.

• leeder krenon says:

Yeah in what universe is ME2 not an RPG. All that time getting to know your buddies then having to pick them for the best job at the end. Fewer times in gaming have you been required to play more of a role.

• malkav11 says:

It is extraordinarily imprecise and useless to cite “playing a role” as the defining characteristic of the RPG as a videogame genre. You can argue that of a vast swathe of games that are in no useful sense an RPG and there are a fair number of games that are pretty clearly RPGs that arguably don’t fit that criterion. Same with “story driven” – there are tons of story-driven games that aren’t RPGs, and there’s quite a few early CRPGs that have little to no story. It’s much more useful to look at the defining characteristics of the games that pioneered the genre, and those are things like character stats being prioritized over player skill, character progression, an inventory/equipment system that isn’t just for puzzle solving and isn’t doled out entirely as fixed plot rewards, etc. I think ME1 features more RPG mechanics than later games in the series (particularly 2), but they all feature enough to at least fit on the edges of the genre proper.

• April March says:

ME is as much of an RPG as Zelda is.

Either you think it means they are both RPG’s or neither is, I’m cool with it.

19. malkav11 says:

Crackdown 3 might end up being more interesting, but I heartily disagree with the assertion that Crackdown did what Saints Row did better. I think it’s likely to be an inspiration for the orbs (and only the orbs – a lot of the rest of the gameplay feels much more like Prototype), but SRIV’s superpowers are much more varied and a lot more fun to use than Crackdown. And of course, Crackdown barely had a story or gameplay variety to speak of. I still enjoyed it quite a bit, mind. And I welcome a PC entry in the franchise as long as it’s more like the first game than the (sadly dull) second. Though I wouldn’t mind more story and more types of objectives.

20. Xocrates says:

Okay, I need to ask: Why is Sonic 2 considered the best one?

Sonic 3 always felt like such a huge improvement in terms of look, feel, and level design that I never got the love Sonic 2 has. It’s not a bad game, certainly, but why the best?

Even looking up why largely gives me no answer or some very subjective ones (often openly so).

So, out of genuine curiosity, why?

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Agreed, Sonic 2 only stands up as a prototype for Sonic 3 — it had a couple of the mechanics but had not mastered them. Maybe it’s just because it Came First?

• welverin says:

I thought people in the know prefer Sonic CD.

• Rivalus says:

Because it’s jettison Sonic the Hedgehog as the mascot Sega need. And, the problem with 3 that it came out in two separate game that need to be combined to unlock it’s full potential, Sonic 3 and Knuckles. And many people think because of this, 3 is not a complete game (which is silly!). Oh, Sonic CD is overrated, it’s better than one but not more than 2, Sonic 3 is where Sonic perform the best.

21. Banks says:

No Quake on this list? Bunch of casuls…

22. Captain Narol says:

Apart from Conan Exiles (and Star Citizen if it miraculously get out in 2017), no new MMO incoming ?

Gives me the feeling that genre is slowly getting out of trend…

Btw, I’m looking for a good MMO with classical MMO stuff (exploration, levelling, quests, etc…) AND specifically Tactical Turn-Based combat (something like a “Blackguards MMO”, “XCOM MMO” or even “Wesnoth MMO” would be perfect), does anyone here know one ?

There is Atlantica Online that fits the description but I have heard it’s badly Pay-To-Win so that’s a big “no way, thanks” for me. Anything else to suggest ?

23. AutonomyLost says:

This is indeed an exciting list. One specific game I wanted to comment on is Nier: Automata. I downloaded and played the PS4 demo today and… god damn. REALLY enjoyable, and lots of depth to the combat systems with next-to-nothing unlocked, obviously, as it’s a mere demo. Enough to sell me though, for sure. It played and ran so well (actually holding 60 fps at nearly all times as far as I could tell, though I was using a PS4 Pro) I would be purchasing it in a heartbeat for console if I didn’t know the PC version was confirmed. I can only imagine what it’ll be like at a liquid 90 fps in full detail on the desktop. This, Scalebound, and Hellblade are going to scratch a terrible itch for me this year.

Also, fuck 2016 for a great variety of reasons. Bring on 2017. Happy New Year, all.

• malkav11 says:

The first Nier (console only, sadly) was IMO the best JRPG of its generation. And that was mostly based on its story rather than the fairly bland combat. Mix in Platinum-style action and Automata could be one for the ages.

24. TΛPETRVE says:

Bulletstorm wasn’t “fast-paced”. Quite the contrary, it was a sluggish, clunky bore. I’d rather wait for the upcoming DESYNC, which takes the same base mechanics and adds some actual speed to the formula, as well as weapons that are not just completely inefficient gimmick nonsense.

25. cckerberos says:

The picture used for Atelier Sophie is actually from Nights of Azure.

26. Doomsayer says:

But what about Half-Life 3? Surely it’ll come this year!

• fco says:

also:
      Heart Forth, Alicia
      Moon Magnate
      Chasm

• Person of Interest says:

These all look interesting enough that they could have had their own mentions in the article. Thanks for the links!

27. Malleus says:

Lords of the Fallen 2 “Development ‘changed course’ in 2015, losing its executive producer in the process”

Actually, Tomasz Gop returned to CI in march 2016. Just saying.

EDIT: Also, you might mention The Surge while you’re at it, a game that will actually come out in 2017 (hopefully), by the LotF devs.

28. caff says:

Happy New Year all!

I’ve only had a quick look, but Thimbleweed Park excites me (backed on Kickstarter), Hand of Fate 2, and Night in the Woods.

Also, I’m hoping that the final part of Kentucky Route Zero is finally released this year, so I can play the parts I’ve been saving up.

29. Red3eard says:

Quite looking forward to Terraria Otherworld as well!

30. Lars Westergren says:

My fav categories – RPG, adventure, strategy have so many interesting games coming.

Is it just me, or are there rather few AAA announced games? I see one here and there, but not that many. Maybe they are waiting for expos and similar for the big “dropping the bomb” announcements followed by advertising blitzes.

• Turkey says:

Yeah. We’ll probably get a better idea of the AAA fall lineup around E3. Seems like most of the big publishers have started trying to ape Bethesda’s success by announcing the games 4-9 months before release instead of over a year ahead.

31. SOulFUNk says:

i am getting hyper for Agents of Mayhem, HellBlade, Rise&Shine, The Prey, ToeJam & Earl.

32. DaftPunk says:

Not impressed by the list at all.

• Turkey says:

Me neither. Hopefully there will be a few surprises along the way.

• Raoul Duke says:

Me three. Very little that looks innovative or just fun.

33. Oozo says:

The Pathologic remake could also make it in 2017 — no wonder that you haven’t included it, though, since I’d have no idea of which category to put it in.

• Oozo says:

Also, On a Roll, the rollerblading game that was a kickstarted a while ago released a new trailer in December and a message that said the game should come out in 2017. It looks really good — at least if you’re into the sport yourself.

Don Reba says:

It’s “horror”, clearly.

34. PikaBot says:

“non-politically correct themes”

Ooooh boy.

35. Yachmenev says:

Interesting to see that bit of snark towards the graphics in Double Fine’s remasters, considering how well received the remaster of DOTT was, both here at RPS and at other sites.

36. El Mariachi says:

This list is missing Murder Man, SHRILL HARPY, and XTREME FACE TRIUMPH PRO CLASSIC EXTREMELY FOR MEN, among others.

More info here.

37. Dave L. says:

Most interesting thing about Star Trek Bridge Crew is that Ubisoft is making their multiplayer VR titles playable across Vive, Oculus, and Playstation VR, so between those three you’re likely to be able to land in a game with some randoms no matter what.

Also RE: Star Control: Origins. It is a ‘prequel’ but it is also totally unrelated to the original two games, as none of the original races will make an appearance, nor any references to the original story.

38. poliovaccine says:

I just wanna be the mug.

Gotta say tho.. the nav buttons being broken, revisiting this page was a nice surprise – the first time, I thought the entirety of this post was just the games listed under Action… coming back now, tho, and realizing all the great looking titles listed under RPG, Survival, even *strategy*…??

…and I still just wanna be the mug. Goddammit that really shouldnt excite me so much.

39. and its man says:

Happy New Year RPS !
    David O’Reilly’s Everything should be released this year.
    Just yaying.

link to twitter.com

40. and its man says:

Milkmaid of the Milky Way. This point-and-click by Mattis Folkestad has been greenlit last year and will be available on Steam this thursday.
    Blonde plaits, UFOs & cosmobasslines. Looks and sounds adorable.

41. trashbat says:

Are there no driving games/sims due in 2017?

42. Grobmotoriker says:

I miss Rising Storm 2 Vietnam, Squad and Escape from Tarkov in the Shooter Section.

43. Lars Westergren says:

That was supposed to be “No Truce With The Furies” in the link name. The “allowed code” comments below the form don’t seem to be correct.

• KillahMate says:

No Truce With The Furies is scheduled for 2017? Lovely!

• Lars Westergren says:

And this is the link I tried to post, but editing the post twice got it removed, I must have triggered some anti-spam filter. Check out the trailer, dynamic light and shadows on hand-painted backgrounds sure is gorgeous.

link to devblog.fortressoccident.com

It don’t know if it will be relased this year though, I just assumed that.

But seriously, how do you format links properly? The regular a href HTML tag didn’t work obviously even though the “allowed code” block below says it does.

44. Bartack says:

I need Sudden Strike 4 now.

45. Rince says:

I’m pretty hyped by the new Atelier finally on PC (And there’s not an Atelier picture in the article, by the way, there are two for Nights of Azure).
    And very very hyped by the Lesbian Vampires… I mean, Nights of Azure.

Why isn’t already February?

And the Conan Survival thingie could be interesting.

46. NailBombed says:

Binding Of Isaac: Afterbirth+ is high on my getting agenda. Purely because of being able to mod Isaac to my delight. Soon… soon…

47. Jenuall says:

No Underworld Ascendant in the RPG section? For shame!

48. Rainshine says:

Thank you! While I’m already playing Planescape again to get hyped for Torment, I had not heard about Klei and their Oxygen game yet. Urban Empires also looks interesting and possibly decent. And the Frostpunk.

49. Lars Westergren says:

Rime is a nice looking puzzle adventure game, was supposed to be a PS4 exclusive but they split with Sony and now it is multiplatform, including PC.

I associate the art of the island a bit with The Witness, the rest perhaps a bit Ico inspired?